Grado Fan Club!
May 18, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #47,281 of 65,633
Hey there!

I was curious about the Grado sound for a long while. I got the opportunity to get a Grado Hemp today. I also have the big Geekria earpads. In general, I like the sound presentation of the Grados. It is really enjoyable. But I find the technicalities a little poor. Especially the artificially eleveted highs to pretend resolution / details. So I am wondering what a Grado model with similar bass response and better technicalities would be a step up? There are so many Grado models, I already tried to figure it out by myself but it seeems impossible :beyersmile: Thanks in advance!

May 18, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #47,284 of 65,633
Hey there!

I was curious about the Grado sound for a long while. I got the opportunity to get a Grado Hemp today. I also have the big Geekria earpads. In general, I like the sound presentation of the Grados. It is really enjoyable. But I find the technicalities a little poor. Especially the artificially eleveted highs to pretend resolution / details. So I am wondering what a Grado model with similar bass response and better technicalities would be a step up? There are so many Grado models, I already tried to figure it out by myself but it seeems impossible :beyersmile: Thanks in advance!
PS2000e have a similar sound signature but way more refined and also way more expensive.

May 18, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #47,285 of 65,633
PS2000e have a similar sound signature but way more refined and also way more expensive.
For my ears…definitely not. The HEMP has waaay more bass and punch. I sent back the PS2000e and yes, it was very well driven.

May 18, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #47,286 of 65,633
The big question with the x series is the RS1x (if they update it). The new prestige series (and the HEMP) has a 44mm driver. But...do they update the 50mm too? With an F-pad? Could be very intresting.
My ttvj deluxe flats fit my RS1e just fine , but it sure as heck changes the sound signature.
I won't be buying any of the X series or selling my E series, I already have 5 Grados & my RS1e with taped bowls & EQ is simply outstanding , i'm more than content with what Grado has brought into my life .
I'm on the other hand really looking forward to the 325X reviews though , hurry up !!!!

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #47,288 of 65,633
For my ears…definitely not. The HEMP has waaay more bass and punch. I sent back the PS2000e and yes, it was very well driven.
Yes, the hemp have way more impact on the bass, and are overall more aggressive and unrefined. The PS2000e have less impact but are more refined. I like the hemps because they look better, are lightweight and more forgiving. The PS2000e are better in sound quality, but it’s surprisingly hard to find a good amp for them. Hemps sound good out of almost anything.

But I feel like they sound similar, at least to me. I use both of them regularly depending on my mood.

May 18, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #47,289 of 65,633
Yes, the hemp have way more impact on the bass, and are overall more aggressive and unrefined. The PS2000e have less impact but are more refined. I like the hemps because they look better, are lightweight and more forgiving. The PS2000e are better in sound quality, but it’s surprisingly hard to find a good amp for them. Hemps sound good out of almost anything.

But I feel like they sound similar, at least to me. I use both of them regularly depending on my mood.
I like the use of "unrefined" here, like they're some sloppy product that only the plebeians enjoy while the upper-class sit with their brandy snifters listening to the PS2000. It's a nice thinly-veiled insult to the above poster who mentioned they returned theirs.

May 18, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #47,290 of 65,633
I agree that the hemps are really aggressive or forward and somehow unrefined. But I think the aggressiveness makes them enjoyable. But I must say after 3-4 hours listening they are really fatuiging. This applies to the sound and to the earpads (I have the Geekria, but I find the stock ones more comfortable!). I can see why people like them, but I really would like to have a version that has more technicalities and a tad less aggressiveness. As they are very aggressive they allow to listen on very low volume which I like. Unfortunately there are so many Grado models and it is pretty hard for me to find a dealer where I can listen to them. Especially from what I have understood is that the Hemps are not like other Grados regarding the bass quantity which is also important for me.

May 18, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #47,291 of 65,633
I had emailed 4ourears in March and Rich Grado told me "they are not available yet but will be soon".
Maybe now that the x series is out they should be available soon? Maybe send them an email
Who is Rich Grado? I know of John, Jonathan and Matthew but not Rich. Or is he the "silent partner" who got wealthy? :smile:

May 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #47,292 of 65,633

Odd, since they probably have the same driver and impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back