Grado Fan Club!
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #45,541 of 65,702
Hunting started dec 2014.
T51i and ipad air2
Upgraded to dragonfly black 1.5
Then I changed till BW P7 in 2016.
P7 and DF sold summer 2017
Had E5 and DT 770-250 from summer 2017 till oct 2020.
Schiit stack buyed 2020.
Then Meze 99, amiron,225e

keept my 225 and schiit stack.
Hopefully a new pair of grado is the end of this hunt

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #45,542 of 65,702
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #45,543 of 65,702
I doubt many of you guys are on the fence about getting an AMP/DAC for your Grados, but while they can play well enough out of a normal headphone jack, the Schiit Stack (Magni 3+/Modi 3) just came in brought my two Grados (GH3, HEMP) to another level lol. Listening to Vince Staples right now, the bass on the hemp sounds damn near menacing right now. And when i was listening to King Crimson on the GH3 earlier, sounded like Robert Fripp was clanging away right next to me. So vivid and realistic. It’s like going from Standard Def to High Definition! I’ll post some more impressions later on!

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #45,544 of 65,702
I doubt many of you guys are on the fence about getting an AMP/DAC for your Grados, but while they can play well enough out of a normal headphone jack, the Schiit Stack (Magni 3+/Modi 3) just came in brought my two Grados (GH3, HEMP) to another level lol. Listening to Vince Staples right now, the bass on the hemp sounds damn near menacing right now. And when i was listening to King Crimson on the GH3 earlier, sounded like Robert Fripp was clanging away right next to me. So vivid and realistic. It’s like going from Standard Def to High Definition! I’ll post some more impressions later on!

Dammit you can't say that haha. Mentioning the bass on a hip hop track in particular gets my attention.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #45,546 of 65,702
My thing is that I've always respected Grado but never felt any of them were something I'd own, but the Hemp is apparently a bit of an anomaly in their lineup and to hear people actually listening to hip hop with them is really intriguing. If they legitimately have the heft to keep up with those kind of genres I might HAVE to get a pair.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #45,547 of 65,702
I spend a bit of time on audio science review (as technically I'm an engineer so should be guided by qualitative analysis not subjective measurements!) and I noticed several devices that he measured well, and I always thought just sounded good, my Dacmagic plus was one, and even more surprising the LG phones with the quad DAC. Latter measures really well against anything, let alone other phones (I think Amir tested a Samsung too, not great). So, you don't have to spend a lot, just find the hardware that does the basics well, ie not mess up the timing and has enough power not to add distortion. The colour, the emotion etc is all then left to the headphones and speakers, that's where you find the flavour you like!

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #45,548 of 65,702
My thing is that I've always respected Grado but never felt any of them were something I'd own, but the Hemp is apparently a bit of an anomaly in their lineup and to hear people actually listening to hip hop with them is really intriguing. If they legitimately have the heft to keep up with those kind of genres I might HAVE to get a pair.

Dammit you can't say that haha. Mentioning the bass on a hip hop track in particular gets my attention.

I have comfort issues, and for some reason on ear design seems to work out well for me. So while i did get the GH3 as my flavor of the classic grado sound, i specifically got the hemp because of it’s “non grado” elements. It still has that peak at 2k, and the lively presentation that grado is known for but it’s a bit more.. chilled. I got the Hemps to listen to hip hop, badly mastered metal music, and music that in general could use a little smoothing on the top end. It does so well for me in that respect! It’s not a bass cannon by any means, but i would put it up against any of the more neutral contenders for under 400 for bass

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #45,549 of 65,702
I have comfort issues, and for some reason on ear design seems to work out well for me. So while i did get the GH3 as my flavor of the classic grado sound, i specifically got the hemp because of it’s “non grado” elements. It still has that peak at 2k, and the lively presentation that grado is known for but it’s a bit more.. chilled. I got the Hemps to listen to hip hop, badly mastered metal music, and music that in general could use a little smoothing on the top end. It does so well for me in that respect! It’s not a bass cannon by any means, but i would put it up against any of the more neutral contenders for under 400 for bass
There is an alternative route; DSP. I know it's anti-audiophile and upsets the bit perfect army, but if you can treat some of the FR anomalies of a set of phones then you can transform the experience. After all, the biggest "problem" with domestic hifi is that the average lounge is not a great listening space, so room correction, either electronically or physically is the key to making a system sounds great. I use DSP on the media player I use, unfortunately can't do that with the streaming services, hence pad rolling! No different from adding bass traps, or thicker carpets to your listening room when using loudspeakers.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #45,550 of 65,702

Well that's it settled then lol. I'm currently listening to badly mastered metal (that's my bread and butter) so I guess I have to snag these. I was also looking at stuff like the HD Zeus, Sivga P-II, and Beyer DT177X Go but damn.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #45,551 of 65,702
Well that's it settled then lol. I'm currently listening to badly mastered metal (that's my bread and butter) so I guess I have to snag these. I was also looking at stuff like the HD Zeus, Sivga P-II, and Beyer DT177X Go but damn.
Lol, sorry! Get from a place with a good return policy just in case they are not your thing. But it sounds like they would be the perfect Grado for you

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #45,552 of 65,702
There is an alternative route; DSP. I know it's anti-audiophile and upsets the bit perfect army, but if you can treat some of the FR anomalies of a set of phones then you can transform the experience. After all, the biggest "problem" with domestic hifi is that the average lounge is not a great listening space, so room correction, either electronically or physically is the key to making a system sounds great. I use DSP on the media player I use, unfortunately can't do that with the streaming services, hence pad rolling! No different from adding bass traps, or thicker carpets to your listening room when using loudspeakers.
Ive been debating adding the Schiit Loki to my set up for Some source level eq

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #45,553 of 65,702
Buyed a pair in october. Don’t like the dark sound.then i tried grado.love them.
I also came over a good deal on amiron before cristmas. Good cans,but when i tried my grado again,mmmm.
I sold both my beyer i january. Now i am looking for another grado.
Considering rs2e, hemp and ps500e.

I can relate to this -- I had Amiron Home, which were fantastic. But when I switched to the 325e, I realized how much I prefer the Grado sound. Sold Amiron. :)

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #45,554 of 65,702
Should have tried DT1990 Pro rather than Amiron...😀

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #45,555 of 65,702
Got a good deal on amiron.almost half price with full warranty.
Could not resist 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back