Grado Fan Club!
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #45,016 of 65,998
Any flat pad alternatives? The ones from TTVJ are going to be about 85 USD including shipping (in Malaysia) which seems a bit steep. RS2e's are definitely on the bright side. I am hoping they settle down a bit with time. On the board here what has been the burn in experiences with these? There was an article from John Grado where he basically admitted burn in is real, and the drivers will settle down after about 50 hours.

I found both the SR80e and SR225e calmed down a bit over time (less highs bass was better extended) although not sure if that was brain burn in...
I'm trying these out, just ordered them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0155XZJ4I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_NpadGbEWS29NB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #45,017 of 65,998
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #45,018 of 65,998
Any flat pad alternatives? The ones from TTVJ are going to be about 85 USD including shipping (in Malaysia) which seems a bit steep. RS2e's are definitely on the bright side. I am hoping they settle down a bit with time. On the board here what has been the burn in experiences with these? There was an article from John Grado where he basically admitted burn in is real, and the drivers will settle down after about 50 hours.

I found both the SR80e and SR225e calmed down a bit over time (less highs bass was better extended) although not sure if that was brain burn in...
Sennheiser 414 yellow pads with the 'coin mod' are pretty close sonically whilst being slightly more comfortable.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #45,019 of 65,998

RS2e with TTVJ flats sound good but are lacking some treble. Maybe try the Geekria "Donut" pads. They are so soft they get squeezed a lot and so are kinda halfway between flats and original Ls.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #45,021 of 65,998
But the RS2e has that perfect synergy of having a lot of treble energy, but not super harsh or fatiging to my ears. I played Gojira last night, Blood Incantation this morning, and Metallica now and i think it plays extremely well with those bands

Yep, heaps of treble but not fatiguing. Brings out some detail that my general headphone pick for this type of music doesn’t. Listening to some GY!BE now on these and it sounds amazing.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #45,023 of 65,998
New member at here joining headfi and Grado fan club. I always wonder what is the upgrade path for Grado? I currently own 325e, is the next one the hemp? RS2e? PS500e? And what’s the next one? Would appreciate it if someone could say a word or two

I'm a new Grado member too, but from what I understand is that the Prestige series upgrade path goes through the RS2e. Where as the Hemp takes a "darker" approach to the Grado sound. I went from the SR80e to the hemp and It wasn't the tuning I wanted, the RS2e ended up being the refined path. But others on here could give you a better idea

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #45,024 of 65,998
Th
I'm a new Grado member too, but from what I understand is that the Prestige series upgrade path goes through the RS2e. Where as the Hemp takes a "darker" approach to the Grado sound. I went from the SR80e to the hemp and It wasn't the tuning I wanted, the RS2e ended up being the refined path. But others on here could give you a better idea
Thanks! It’s kinda annoying that each Grado has its own sound. Even within the SR line I really liked 80e, 225e and 325e but obviously it doesn’t make sense to own all of them

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #45,025 of 65,998
New member at here joining headfi and Grado fan club. I always wonder what is the upgrade path for Grado? I currently own 325e, is the next one the hemp? RS2e? PS500e? And what’s the next one? Would appreciate it if someone could say a word or two

There is no definitive "way up" with Grados. Tell us what your "problems" are with the 325e and we'll tell you what might be a suitable solution.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #45,026 of 65,998

If you are coming from the Prestige series and prefer the "classic" Grado sound, the RS2e is the natural upgrade path. On the flip side, if you are coming from the HD6XX or if the warmer side of neutral is your preference, you would probably prefer the Hemp over the RS2e. @mochimashu, I think you should go with the RS2e.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #45,028 of 65,998
There is no definitive "way up" with Grados. Tell us what your "problems" are with the 325e and we'll tell you what might be a suitable solution.
Ah I have no problem with 325e! I’m just curious generally, like in the future when I make an “upgrade” or “side grade” I want to know what I’d be getting

for the record I only tried the prestige series, and I’m not a fan of the Alessandro line as I feel they are relatively more neutral and balanced which takes away the fun.

I found 60e a bit mediocre and boring, 125e a bit fatiguing. I like 80e but it’s not as resolving as its bigger brothers, I like 225e but it has too little bass, so end up with 325e - maybe it’s a little bit aggressive? Just a thought

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #45,029 of 65,998
If you are coming from the Prestige series and prefer the "classic" Grado sound, the RS2e is the natural upgrade path. On the flip side, if you are coming from the HD6XX or if the warmer side of neutral is your preference, you would probably prefer the Hemp over the RS2e.
Thank you! Well I have both and like both, but I keep a pair of Grado for a reason (like everyone else) if I want a tamed headphone I wouldn’t buy Grado so maybe RS2e is the next one then. How’s the PS500e btw? I have the impression that they have a similar price, also RS1e, at least in second hand market.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #45,030 of 65,998
Thank you! Well I have both and like both, but I keep a pair of Grado for a reason (like everyone else) if I want a tamed headphone I wouldn’t buy Grado so maybe RS2e is the next one then. How’s the PS500e btw? I have the impression that they have a similar price, also RS1e, at least in second hand market.

It's been a while since I heard the PS500 or PS500e, but I know that I prefer the Hemp. If you like the Grado sound and the HD6XX, you will probably like the Hemp. The Hemp is almost like a fusion of the Grado sound with the HD6XX. If you want a good advice, stay away from the RS1e and go with the Hemp or the RS2e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back