Grado Fan Club!
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #43,996 of 65,775
I've ordered the RS1, GS1000 and PS500 and I'm trying to figure out whether they add to the selection I already have, which is: SR80, SR325, Hemp, RS2 and White. Do the RS1, GS1000 and PS500 add a different sound from what I already have? I've read the RS1 is darker like the Hemp, but has 50mm drivers, so I can see where that might add something new. I think the GS1000 may be very similar to the White, so maybe I should cancel that one? Any advice appreciated!
MOAR GRADOS is always better :)

I have both an original model GS1000 and The White and find them different enough. The earcups on The White are shallower, so it gives a little more of that shouty in your face sound like your Hemps and 325s have. I use them mainly for live rock shows. GS1000 are lighter on the head, and have a lighter, and more spacious sound. I use them more for jazz, and they would probably be stellar with classical, or movie scores (but i dont dabble in those much)

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #43,997 of 65,775
I read from reviews that The White was just in-your-face treble, and that's why they're good for Beatles and little else. I'd be curious to know which is the bigger treble monster, The White or the GS2000e.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #43,998 of 65,775
I've been looking for new headphones and heard amazing things about Grados (I'm new-ish in the audiophile game), I know that usually they are known mostly about the sparkly highs but I'm looking for something "balanced" and what I mean by balanced is that they are more focused on the mid-range than either highs or lows, I think that the right ones are the RS2e's but I thought, what a better place to ask but here! Any suggestions?

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #43,999 of 65,775
I read from reviews that The White was just in-your-face treble, and that's why they're good for Beatles and little else. I'd be curious to know which is the bigger treble monster, The White or the GS2000e.
I use The White for all sorts of virtuoso rock bass players: Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, Berry Oakley, Oteil Burbridge, Ryan Stasik. (Ok, he's a little pedestrian next to the others). They hold up that end just fine. More than fine, they're my favorite headphone for listening to live rock shows. If they're wrong, I dont wanna be right.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #44,000 of 65,775
Was looking at an rs2e in the classifieds recently but thought the price to international shipping cost ratio was not too favourable..

Also, was going back and forth trying to decide between the ps2000e and gs3000e...

Ended up ordering a GS3000e from Moon Audio with black dragon re-cable + 4pin xlr. Hoping to get it in a month or so! Very excited and a bit worried at the same time as it is a blind purchase and have never listened to the GS3k before, and hope it will be a nice improvement over my alessandro ms2e.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #44,001 of 65,775
Black Friday is upon us in the Grado store. What's the expereince with it? How much % savings are to expected? I think it should be about the same each year, but I haven't followed Grado last year.

Please say it something like 2.8-3.07% and does not worth the consideration.

Do they fulfill internation orders too?

(I am looking at the PS2000e if there is a significant saving on it).

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #44,002 of 65,775
As far as I know there is no discounts. Maybe contact them to see if there's an open box unit or something like that but Grado does not really allow their dealers or their own official store for that matter to give discounts.

As far as international sales go I think they only ship to the US and Mexico? International customers are usually directed to authorized dealers within their neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #44,003 of 65,775
Hmmm...then why they are advertising black friday sales and why they have a counter on select products...strange.

But thanks for the info!

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #44,006 of 65,775
1606235426446.png

End game for me. Smiling from can to can :)

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #44,007 of 65,775
1606235426446.png

End game for me. Smiling from can to can :)
Nice! It could be your camera or phone, but that's a lighter shade of cocobolo than normally seen with the GH2 and GS3K, which is not un-typical with cocobolo.

Just out of curiosity, what other phones do you have to compare it with? (not that you need to have any others!)

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #44,008 of 65,775
Nice! It could be your camera or phone, but that's a lighter shade of cocobolo than normally seen with the GH2 and GS3K, which is not un-typical with cocobolo.

Just out of curiosity, what other phones do you have to compare it with? (not that you need to have any others!)
They are a little darker than the picture shows, although not as much as I've seen in other people's pictures. I've heard they get darker over time though. They are also darker than my GS1000e's.

In terms of other headphones, I previously had Senn 650, Beyer 770, 1990, LCD 2-fazor, Grado SR225i, GS1000e. The 1000e's have been my main headphone for a while and the 3000's seem to have everything I like about them but are just cleaner, a little less peaky in the treble and better/more controlled bass. Same lightness on the head which I love about Grados. They just feel like nothing which is awesome. I didn't like the L cushions but love the G.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #44,009 of 65,775
They are a little darker than the picture shows, although not as much as I've seen in other people's pictures. I've heard they get darker over time though. They are also darker than my GS1000e's.
I also play acoustic guitar and cocobolo is used by some builders on high-end models. It gives an acoustic guitar similar to what it does for open headphones: very clean sound with deep bass and sparkly trebles. Mids are there, but not nearly as dominant as with mahogany (GS1000). In acoustic guitars, maple gives a bright sparkly treble, but not as much bass; mahogany gives a very mids-focused sound with decent bass & treble. The differences are much more pronounced in an acoustic guitar because the wood + strings are causing the sound, whereas with headphones, the wood just contains / flavors the sound. But I am very happy with the sound of my GH2 cocobolo.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #44,010 of 65,775
I also play acoustic guitar and cocobolo is used by some builders on high-end models. It gives an acoustic guitar similar to what it does for open headphones: very clean sound with deep bass and sparkly trebles. Mids are there, but not nearly as dominant as with mahogany (GS1000). In acoustic guitars, maple gives a bright sparkly treble, but not as much bass; mahogany gives a very mids-focused sound with decent bass & treble. The differences are much more pronounced in an acoustic guitar because the wood + strings are causing the sound, whereas with headphones, the wood just contains / flavors the sound. But I am very happy with the sound of my GH2 cocobolo.

Man am I glad that I hopped on the GH2 train. I bought the GW100s back in April last year and was seeking more of that open, light weight sound. I read a few hundred pages of this thread and had settled between RS2e and GH2. Seems that the GH2 is the best in the price class and I can't disagree on that at all. Simply amazing all arounder, especially with the used price I got!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back