Grado Fan Club!
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #43,876 of 65,630
Finally, after having departed with my SR325i more than 7 years ago, I am now a Grado owner again.
Besides the SR325i, I have owned the SR80, the PS500 and the GS1000. But the RS1 has always had a special place in my mind. The RS1 is for me the epitome of Grado sound. Edgy, punchy and with that nice Grado-slam and -punch. At the same time gentle and with that nice woody touch.

This time I just got it, to keep it in my collection as one my the most legendary headphones in late head-fi history. I am already in love with the Grado sound again.

50594881251_408347aa0a_o.jpg
ly)
Almost same story for me. Started this hobby from grado, totally moved to other brands for long time, but when I felt missed grado, I thought about RS1 series.

Well, that story remain solid till few months ago, when grado created Hemp. Now my heart move to this limited headphone. Already tried all GH series (GH2 is really nice actually), but overall still prefer RS1e though.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #43,879 of 65,630
Seriously, I think I miss something here, what make RS2e has "better hype" than RS1e?

Had compared both side by side, with set up and songs that I'm familiar with, and there was no time limit when I tried them. RS1e win hands down.

How is the RS1e better? I've never heard this model.

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #43,880 of 65,630
Just received the Hemp. The online reviews made little mention of the darker sound of these headphones relative to other Grado models, but I was prepared for it based on the comments in this thread and in other online forums. But also, I can confirm that, just like some others on this thread reported, the darker sound is significantly attributable to those "f" cushions. I swapped them with some genuine Grado G cushions and the sound was much brighter, less loud and more in line with the traditional Grado sound. I'm going to put the f cushions back on because I bought the Hemp deliberately for a darker sound, but it's nice to know that if I want them to sound brighter like my other Grados, swapping the cushions is all it takes. It's amazing how much difference the cushions make.

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #43,881 of 65,630
Just received the Hemp. The online reviews made little mention of the darker sound of these headphones relative to other Grado models, but I was prepared for it based on the comments in this thread and in other online forums. But also, I can confirm that, just like some others on this thread reported, the darker sound is significantly attributable to those "f" cushions. I swapped them with some genuine Grado G cushions and the sound was much brighter, less loud and more in line with the traditional Grado sound. I'm going to put the f cushions back on because I bought the Hemp deliberately for a darker sound, but it's nice to know that if I want them to sound brighter like my other Grados, swapping the cushions is all it takes. It's amazing how much difference the cushions make.

It’s thrue. The pads are big difference. But there is a voicing to the pad too. The F cushion is best with the Hemp. I tried it on my RS2e (they were a bit loose, but anyway) and those (the 2e) sounds best with the L. The F made it darker but also the “magic” was gone. The same with the Hemp. There is something special with the F pads and not so much if I change it to the L. Which in turn makes my life easier, just use the stock pads :)

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #43,882 of 65,630
Seriously, I think I miss something here, what make RS2e has "better hype" than RS1e?

Had compared both side by side, with set up and songs that I'm familiar with, and there was no time limit when I tried them. RS1e win hands down.

I have the same experience. Spent some time with RS2 at a meet once and it didn't give me the same soundstage and wow-effect as RS1. But the significantly higher price of RS1e taken into consideration, I would say there is better sound pr dollar ratio in RS2e.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #43,883 of 65,630
Nov 14, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #43,884 of 65,630
It’s thrue. The pads are big difference. But there is a voicing to the pad too. The F cushion is best with the Hemp. I tried it on my RS2e (they were a bit loose, but anyway) and those (the 2e) sounds best with the L. The F made it darker but also the “magic” was gone. The same with the Hemp. There is something special with the F pads and not so much if I change it to the L. Which in turn makes my life easier, just use the stock pads :)

Seconding this. I've tried a couple other pads on my Hemp but the flats just sound the best. It loses something extra when changing pads. Now, I've only had the Hemp for a few weeks and don't listen to them every day, but still. It was immediately noticeable to me when switching to the L pads that it was brighter, but felt different too - like it lost some detail. I'll be sticking with the f pads on the Hemp.

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #43,885 of 65,630
Seriously, I think I miss something here, what make RS2e has "better hype" than RS1e? Had compared both side by side, with set up and songs that I'm familiar with, and there was no time limit when I tried them. RS1e win hands down.

To understand this, you need to know a bit of Grado history. The RS1i and RS2i used the same 40mm driver, but the RS1i had a slightly larger wooden cup, which resulted in slightly more bass resonance and impact. That changed with the RS1e and RS2e. The RS1e switched to a 50mm driver which has a different tuning. The first batch of RS1e models with the black headband had the driver protruding a bit from the cup, resulting in worse soundstage and comfort. The current batch with the brown headband has the drivers flush. Because Grado's 50mm drivers were tuned for the G pads with the Statement size cups, and not the L pads with smaller cups, that makes the RS1e sound different than the rest of the lineup. I haven't spent time with the RS1e but it might be better with the G pads. No one has really made an extensive comparison.

The RS2e is considered the safer pick because it's cheaper, uses the 40mm driver, and has a similar signature when compared against the plastic Grados, just more refined. There's also the Hemp and the GH4 which are similar variants. Those who like the 50mm driver sound signature would likely skip the RS1e and go straight for a GS/PS model.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #43,886 of 65,630
You know this is JUST the appetizer. It's a multi-course meal, so get ready to expand your plate!!
Yes, you’re right. I’m from a Joinery background and really like the look of the wooden ones.🤤
I’ve been very impressed with the sound signature for the genres of music I like, Blues, Prog, Electronic, Metal. Not tried my Classical collections yet.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #43,887 of 65,630
How is the RS1e better? I've never heard this model.

It's a bit in line with the classic "pink driver" old generation Grado, still forward, impactful, fast, but with full body sound, smooth upper mid and more spacious feeling on soundstage.

To understand this, you need to know a bit of Grado history. The RS1i and RS2i used the same 40mm driver, but the RS1i had a slightly larger wooden cup, which resulted in slightly more bass resonance and impact. That changed with the RS1e and RS2e. The RS1e switched to a 50mm driver which has a different tuning. The first batch of RS1e models with the black headband had the driver protruding a bit from the cup, resulting in worse soundstage and comfort. The current batch with the brown headband has the drivers flush. Because Grado's 50mm drivers were tuned for the G pads with the Statement size cups, and not the L pads with smaller cups, that makes the RS1e sound different than the rest of the lineup. I haven't spent time with the RS1e but it might be better with the G pads. No one has really made an extensive comparison.

The RS2e is considered the safer pick because it's cheaper, uses the 40mm driver, and has a similar signature when compared against the plastic Grados, just more refined. There's also the Hemp and the GH4 which are similar variants. Those who like the 50mm driver sound signature would likely skip the RS1e and go straight for a GS/PS model.

And this gentleman just explain in more detail that I think I agree. Those who love the brighter character of SR225e or 325e may think RS2e is better because of the brighter character, I think I understand now.

RS1e sounds really bad to me with G pads, tonal balance shifting too much, and midrange got sucked out. I will choose GS1000e anytime any day if I want to use G pads Grado.

I have the same experience. Spent some time with RS2 at a meet once and it didn't give me the same soundstage and wow-effect as RS1. But the significantly higher price of RS1e taken into consideration, I would say there is better sound pr dollar ratio in RS2e.

True, the different in soundstage is easily noticeable when compare RS1e and RS2e.

Nov 15, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #43,890 of 65,630
I have the GW100s. I love them. I've had them since release day. This morning the frame holding the headphone to the band broke. Do they make/sell replacement parts?
If you're in the US, email Grado Labs directly, I'm sure they'll hook you up with another free of charge.

Up here in Canada I had a problem also with that part of the headphone frame. In my case the pole came out of it’s socket. Grado Canada [located in Montreal] sent me the whole part free of charge. It’s very easy to install. As wormsdriver wrote, just send/ email the same photo to Grado, tell them what happened & ask them if they can send you one. If you have your sales receipt and for your headphone and it’s still under warranty send them a photo of it also. You shoulnd’t have any problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back