Grado Fan Club!
Sep 8, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #42,961 of 65,634
For #1, their mechanism is lightweight. I disagree that their plastic rodblock is "cheap". To me, it's a good weight-saving measure.

They look cheap and probably are cheap. In reviews or first impressions this remark is often made (in fact someone who bought one last week said this), so I am definitely not the only one.

The amount of weight saved vs aluminum is probably like 5% of the overall headphone weight (if that) and not something that would be noticable. On the other hand the way it looks is very noticable. Doesn't need to be a solid lead block, simply a few mm thick aluminum shell will do.

Going to metal rodblocks is only for aesthetics and will add weight. Admittedly, this really only matters for the >300g headphones: SR325e, PS series, and GS3000e.

Metal will be a little more durable if they were dropped or stepped on I would think. But yes, aesthetics. You know, which is also a lot of the reason someone would buy a headphone with cocobolo earcups. To have exotic hardwood earcups and then have the rest of the headphone look like a budget headphone is plain weird and an obvious aesthetic mismatch. That might be fine on the cheaper grados but anything Statement series+ should be built better.

It may be classic grado, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea when your competitors are kicking your butt in this department (overall fit and finish) in $1000+. ZMF basically took the Grado headband design and made it look nice, Grado should be competitive and improve their aesthetics as well on their statement+ series.

For #2, the cable can be severed below the Y split, and an aftermarket cable can be installed from that.

Why should anyone have to splice in an aftermarket cable on a $1000+ headphone ? That is a bit of a joke, if you ask me. It should be user swappable at the earcup like everyone else does.

Those issues are trivial to what I feel are the two main turnoffs: the headphones can't be easily disassembled, and that I've experienced questionable driver matching >1khz.

I heartily disagree. I guarantee a massive amount more people will notice the aesthetic mismatch and inability to swap cables than the amount of people that will try to disassemble the headphone or verify driver frequency response.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #42,962 of 65,634
So....after I stopped switching pad, amps and I really concentrated on the sound (instead of just staring at the Hemp in awe of its beauty)...

...I found that the RS2e and the Hemp are identical twins when it comes to the bass and the mids. The only difference between the two are in the highs (and the impact those have as far as clarity). I like the highs of the RS2e a little better. I do think that the bass of the Hemp is a tad more controlled.

I'm sending the Hemp back.

But I also noticed that both the Hemp and the RS2e with L and F pads are dark (and a little too boomy) sounding headphones. I agree with Asahi Templar. The darkness goes away with G pads. I had already started to like the RS2e with the G pads before I received the Hemp, but once I had the Hemp with L pads and the RS2e with G pads (and vice versa) at hand for fast switching between the two, I was amazed at the difference.

I think the Hemp value equation has two parts:
1) You really like the way it looks
2) You don't have a Grado headphone in the same pricerange, because they seem to sound pretty similar

This is my only Grado and I do like the way it looks quite a bit so I'm holding on to it for now. If I had an RS2e or equivalent I would probably also send it back.

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #42,963 of 65,634
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #42,964 of 65,634
ZMF basically took the Grado headband design and made it look nice, Grado should be competitive and improve their aesthetics

ZMF headphones also weigh at least 50% more than anything Grado offers except the PS1000e/PS2000e. Until ZMF makes a 300g headphone instead of 450g+ ones, I'll pass. If one doesn't care about the weight, they are going to buy the Aeolus LTD Cocobolo for $1500. They just saved $300 and got "better workmanship" in exchange for getting something that's 50% heavier. Whether or not the Aeolus actually sounds better is irrelevant if it's too uncomfortable. If I could get the GS3000e sound in the GS2000e body, that would be incredible, because on the head, the GS2000e feels lighter than an SR60e due to the weight being spread out through the larger surface area.

The other day, I bought a 15ft HDMI cable for $24. I could've bought the Amazon Basics cable for $18, which does exactly the same thing. But the Amazon Basics cable is thick and cumbersome, and this HDMI cable will be transported around. So I spent more for the weight reduction.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #42,965 of 65,634
Don't need to reinvent the wheel but at least improve it. The current mechanism looks cheap and janky, frankly, and out of place on $1000+ headphones

They can keep the same mechanism and simply improve the materials. Use a black brushed aluminum with silk-screened L/R instead of the plastic they are using. Use a satin nickel rod with a flared or T end instead of the current cheap looking black plastic cap.

None of these things would impact the functionality but it's kind of weird to see a $1500+ headphone using exotic hardwood earcups being attached to the headband with something that looks like it belongs on a budget headphone.
Something like this?
50BBE4F1-DE2F-4BBA-B36E-E1B5031EDC63.jpeg

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #42,966 of 65,634
Something like this?

Yup doesn't even need the fancy looking band or pad material either, upgrading the plastic to metal and improving the end caps is enough improvement on its own, but maybe a black brushed (like what you see there inverted) instead to match the rest of current grado aesthetic.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #42,967 of 65,634
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #42,968 of 65,634
Yup doesn't even need the fancy looking band or pad material either, upgrading the plastic to metal and improving the end caps is enough improvement on its own, but maybe a black brushed (like what you see there inverted) instead to match the rest of current grado aesthetic.

And perhaps this is the reason for all the Grado hate lately. While other companies have experimented and released some great looking models, Grado has just released more of the same old, same old. To make a Grado look similar to that Italian beauty above, owners have had to get the help from places like Shipibo and Turbulent Labs.

And to make things worse, no removable cables.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #42,969 of 65,634
And perhaps this is the reason for all the Grado hate lately. While other companies have experimented and released some great looking models, Grado has just released more of the same old, same old. To make a Grado look similar to that Italian beauty above, owners have had to get the help of places like Shipibo and Turbulent Labs.

And to make things worse, no removable cables.
The BOM for aluminum instead of plastic and some flared rods would probably be $10 tops. Can offer better pads / headband as extra charge add-on upgrade

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #42,970 of 65,634
Ad
The BOM for aluminum instead of plastic and some flared rods would probably be $10 tops. Can offer better pads / headband as add-on upgrade

Add another $10 for removable cables.

I'll burn all my Grados if they release a GS4000e, with aluminum gimbals and rodblocks and removable cables....and they price them at $4000.

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #42,972 of 65,634
My new SR60e's came in. I thought this was a good value choice because it appears as if Grado uses the same or similar drivers in most of their headhones, the difference between them being materials and type of cushion. I had a pair of SR60s waaaay back in the day (the plain old SR60s - before the 'i' or 'e' versions) when I knew nothing about audio and remembered them as being good. I thought many, many years later with increased knowledge and experience I'd give them another try and WOW. These are indeed audiophile grade. The only reason some reviews and people refer to them as entry level or budget audiophile is because of the price. These are audiophile period. I thought the bass was going to be weak but no, it's massive. For reference I'm coming from Etymotics with their ultra flat FR. It is very much a 'speakers on the ears' experience compared to the earphones and closed backs I'd been listening to.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #42,973 of 65,634
My new SR60e's came in. I thought this was a good value choice because it appears as if Grado uses the same or similar drivers in most of their headhones, the difference between them being materials and type of cushion. I had a pair of SR60s waaaay back in the day (the plain old SR60s - before the 'i' or 'e' versions) when I knew nothing about audio and remembered them as being good. I thought many, many years later with increased knowledge and experience I'd give them another try and WOW. These are indeed audiophile grade. The only reason some reviews and people refer to them as entry level or budget audiophile is because of the price. These are audiophile period. I thought the bass was going to be weak but no, it's massive. For reference I'm coming from Etymotics with their ultra flat FR. It is very much a 'speakers on the ears' experience compared to the earphones and closed backs I'd been listening to.

+1. You're the first person I've heard describe the bass on any Grado as 'massive' --- LOL --- I agree it is certainly more than adequate on the SR60e. (Also the 325e and The Hemps).

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #42,974 of 65,634
So after demoing both, the PS2000e & GS3000e, my preference is the GS3000e. Before I commit to buying the GS3000e, some of you may know that I have the GH1 and use them exclusively with Grado G cushions and thyme always been a top choice of mine. With this being said, I bought a GH2 which I should receive Friday and intend to put Grado G cushions on them. I owned the GH2 at one point but prematurely sold them due to not listening to them.

I don't even think they have 40hr on them, and most of that was burn in. However, I do remember that their sound was on the warmer side. With this being said, I need to hear the GH2 w/G before making any decisions. In the end, both, the PS2000e, GS3000e were excellent sounding headphones and you can't go wrong with either of them, it's a matter of which suits your personal preference. The Hemp is also an excellent headphone as well.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #42,975 of 65,634
I'm glad I found this space... Grado seems to be really polarizing.. for someone new to the audiohphile world it was a little jarring.

I have the Grado SR325e and love them.. sometimes they're a little too fatiguing after a while but I'm really liking them for classic rock and classical music. It's currently the only full-size phone I have, but I'm looking at an Audeze to start rounding out...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back