Grado Fan Club!
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #38,341 of 65,641
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pair-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushions-Black-for-GRADO-SR60-SR80-SR125-225-M1-M2/292491092150?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

These are hollow, very soft, I like this better, does not hurt ears that much.
Please delete this post if there is any violation.
Actually, I have a pair of those on the way from China right now. If they work out well for me, I'll probably just stick with them, but the Yaxi pads do seem interesting.

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #38,348 of 65,641
Well...I'm back in the Grado fold. This must be the longest time I've been without a Grado headphone in my stable. I've heard these headphones a few times and couldn't turn down an awesome local deal at an audio store...I'm really digging the expansive sound stage (seriously, HD800/S good in that regard) out of my Hugo2. Tonight I'll try them with my DAVE.

Oh yeah, I picked up the PS2000e. :)

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #38,351 of 65,641
I hope some of you enjoy the summation of my findings about my SR225e's it's taken me a long time to reach this conclusion
as to why I generally prefer the SR225E over the GS1000i

I’m a low to medium volume listener, ....this is crucial to this post

I love a headphone that portrays all artist's impact even at very low volumes

The GS1000i is a very smooth sounding headphone, very resolving, weighty yet smooth

It also requires much more juice to sound good, it needs at least medium volume to sound right whereas 225E even sounds great at low volume (of course the latter is much more efficient, requires much less power for the same volume). Also, once I reversed the cushions on the 225e's and try to avoid having my reading glasses arms behind my ears, very comfortable and lighter in weight than the GS1000i's.

I think of the 225e as the ultimate version the SR80e - the sound Grado ultimately intended, from the design/materials was the 225(e), then came out with the lower cost models as more affordable yet somewhat lower performance. (I have the 80e and love them as a low cost, take everywhere Grado!)

The 225e has some sharpness/grit to the sound, like turning up the sharpness filter in PhotoShop just to the point where resolution and detail sounds perfect at lower volumes

At customary higher volumes, such as many/most listeners enjoy, the sound can sound harsh - I believe that Grado optimizes their headphones to sound best at below loud volumes, especially lower to low-medium (at least for the Grado's in my experience)

...this helps to explain the polarizing opinions on Grado’s - those that find the highs are piercing, sound is too sharp, etc. are listening at much higher levels than they were designed for.

When listening to pop/rock/jazz at lower volumes through my setup, the 225e is lacking NOTHING…all of the weight, tonal colour, intimacy, emotion, soul, coherence, you name it is there
…NOTHING missing!

Technically there are characteristics that can be heard but these are quickly forgotten as I get immersed in the music!

The overall sound/musical quality, sonic weight and balance of performance is such my mind/brain stops analyzing and I find the original musical performance there, in all of its qualities.

Even though the GS1000i is technically a better performer, I usually reach for them when I want a break/something different….maybe 15% of the time. I’m glad I have them but if had to give one up, it would be the GS1000i’s (I’m keeping them though and love them!).

Having said the above, it’s crucial to listen for yourself, they appeal to my tastes, system and listening levels but won’t for everybody….YMMV!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #38,352 of 65,641
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #38,353 of 65,641
I have stepped away from Grado years ago as I started to prefer more weight to the music than I had experienced with Grado. I had a GS1000e here and I have to admit, the bass was so light that it just lacked any impact at all. Is there any Grado headphone that has weighty bass? I like detailed bass, but I will sacrifice a little detail to get some weight and impact. There is no substitute for weight and impact for my preferences. I keep wanting to give Grado another shot, but for the kind of serious money they are here in Canada, I just never feel that I can take the chance. So Grado fans, can somebody who likes solid and weighty bass find solace in any Grado headphone or do they need to look elsewhere?

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #38,354 of 65,641
The impressions I've read on this thread left me with the notion that the GH2 have weightier bass -- hopefully some of the GH2 owners can weigh in on this to confirm.

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #38,355 of 65,641
I have stepped away from Grado years ago as I started to prefer more weight to the music than I had experienced with Grado. I had a GS1000e here and I have to admit, the bass was so light that it just lacked any impact at all. Is there any Grado headphone that has weighty bass? I like detailed bass, but I will sacrifice a little detail to get some weight and impact. There is no substitute for weight and impact for my preferences. I keep wanting to give Grado another shot, but for the kind of serious money they are here in Canada, I just never feel that I can take the chance. So Grado fans, can somebody who likes solid and weighty bass find solace in any Grado headphone or do they need to look elsewhere?

The PS2000e is definitely weightier and BIGGER sounding! I've heard them several times and caved and picked these up. The bass is simply amazing on these things...these are definitely worth another shot to my ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back