Grado Fan Club!
Jul 14, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #35,926 of 66,242
What kind of headphone amplifer suits RS2e under $500? I am just wondering as it feel it sounds really good as it is already.
What's your source? (dac)

I would consider getting either a chord mojo or ifi micro idsd BL if you are not using analog or a dedicated cd player, rather than having another sub $500 dac + adding an amp.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #35,928 of 66,242
What's your source? (dac)

I would consider getting either a chord mojo or ifi micro idsd BL if you are not using analog or a dedicated cd player, rather than having another sub $500 dac + adding an amp.

Ditto, great advise.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #35,931 of 66,242
Hey guys new owner of a pair of great Grado's RS2E and i am looking for a pair of G cushions that would fit on the RS2E would anybody have a link to an ebay seller or other for these pads cant seem to find a pair that fits .Thanks

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #35,932 of 66,242
Hey guys new owner of a pair of great Grado's RS2E and i am looking for a pair of G cushions that would fit on the RS2E would anybody have a link to an ebay seller or other for these pads cant seem to find a pair that fits .Thanks
Congratulations on your RS2e.
Grado G cushions (or others) should fit your RS2e with no problem at all.
How about buying them directly from an authorized Grado dealer?

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #35,933 of 66,242
If you get original G pads from Grado ($40) you might find them to reduce the bass a bit and the edge of the top layer is a bit stiffer than the cheap ebay ones so the comfort might also be affected.

Here's a link to the latest ebay ones I've gotten: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

But you might want to order from a few different vendors since they vary slightly from one vendor to the next in the density of the foam and the depth of the pad which has some effect on the sound.

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #35,934 of 66,242

I use the Ear Zonk G Cush version that I ordered through Amazon on my PS500. They work great and, well, Amazon Prime! These will work on your RS2e, even though it's not listed in the title.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW4RWH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #35,935 of 66,242
I've just got a set of MS-1i on it's way to my home!
It's finally here and smells good.
The first piece I tried was Jaco Pastorius' "Liberty City" and it felt like: "Wow! Should have bought a K601...". Brass sounds like disaster, headstage is crumpled, but Jaco's bass sounds good. I used the same track yesterday after doing some necromancy to my wife's K240M and it sounded next to perfect: lots of gently positioned timbres with only a little coloration, my modded T20RP are even better. Not that I was disappointed, but that was enough to state that Alessandros aren't neutral at all.
The box says: "Heritage matters", so the next piece I tried was Opeth's "Heritage". Not bad, but bass felt bloated. The next piece, "Devil's Orchard" felt oversimplified, so I switched to an earlier album. "Deliverance" rocked. I don't find Fostex bad for metall stuff, but sometimes being less analytical is good.
I liked how Alessandros present Gypsy Kings and finally turned to like Jaco Pastorius live records, but any time I'd hunt for fine detail I'd go with T20RP.
Alessandro MS-1i are very sensitive to source: their de-stressed drivers (note the open holes in baffle) require lots of control from the amp, so I find the fully-damped SR-60 a better option for ampless portable use. I compared E-MU Tracker Pre to iPhone and, while E-MU pushes lots of powerful bass through Alessandros, iPhone just sounds mushy.
Comfort-wise S-Cushions are great, much better than L-Cushions I had on SR-80.
Finally, Music Series One is a keeper, just because having a Grado is a must once you build a small headphone collection. They fail to be perfect in almost any aspect but once you dig their signature, the're good to have at your hand (or on your head).

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #35,936 of 66,242
You know, I've been following various Grado threads off and on for a few years. What I've never gotten a hand on, are the various cussions available for the Grados. I have the PS1000Es, and their pads cause me no end of itching. But, I don't even know what pads by nominclature come with the 1KEs.
Anyone have some ideas of what I could replace them with? And no pics, please, for an answer. They'll do me no good.
Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #35,937 of 66,242
The G cushion is what comes on that headphone.

Larger ove rear foam pad

All of Grado pads are made of foam.

Many people wash the pads with dish soap and wring them out good and let dry.

They say this helps with the itching, myself I just got over the itching after awhile.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #35,938 of 66,242
The G cushion is what comes on that headphone.

Larger ove rear foam pad

All of Grado pads are made of foam.

Many people wash the pads with dish soap and wring them out good and let dry.

They say this helps with the itching, myself I just got over the itching after awhile.

it's soften the foam for sure but i prefer natural way through sweat and facial oil :D

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #35,939 of 66,242
Just got my first pair, SR80e. I like them so far, as stated they really bring rock to life. Using them with a Fulla 2 on my iMac. I just love spending my money on quality made in the USA items, and they fit the bill.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #35,940 of 66,242
You know, I've been following various Grado threads off and on for a few years. What I've never gotten a hand on, are the various cussions available for the Grados. I have the PS1000Es, and their pads cause me no end of itching. But, I don't even know what pads by nominclature come with the 1KEs.
Anyone have some ideas of what I could replace them with? And no pics, please, for an answer. They'll do me no good.
Thanks in advance.

As @whirlwind noted they come with the G pads, some call them donuts and are $30-40/pair IIRC. I would suggest the Earzonk ($20/pair) or similar version from Ebay ($4-6/pair) since they tend to be softer, but it will change the sound a little since its constructed of 1 type of foam while the original G pads are a layered construction with 3 different density foam layers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back