Grado Fan Club!
May 1, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #35,447 of 65,626
@jeffhawke
thanks for the link!
ahhh i see.they have few version of their grado mods.the one that always came up on ebay is the MMXVI series

@Dillan
for grado mods i think they're the first one utilising two way drivers but not in headphone world though
do you know which drivers they're using for their mods? is it grado driver or their using third party drivers? because i think for MMXVI they're mention using sr80 drivers on their ebay page
and how they put the two drivers in that cup? if the cup size similar to the ps1000/ps1000e i don't think there's enough room for that.don't tell me they using concentric drivers. and what kind of crossover? if you could post a picture of inside the cup.that would be very nice.

to be honest i'm really sceptic but if it's turn out just like their advertising.this could be really nice finding.congrats man!

May 1, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #35,448 of 65,626
BTW, I saw this a couple days ago, thought I would posted here in case anybody missed it: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...the-first-post.692119/page-1591#post-13460657

i see.yea i remember that very well from vbulletin to huddler. it was sucks and i stop following head-fi for a few years but time is change. after few years i came back to head-fi again even started made id user and started posting. hopefully this one not required a lot of time to get better. i have to say this one also suck but not really that bad comparing to the older transition. but i think head-fi really lost a lot of traction right now. anyway it could've done better but there are progress for sure and that's good

May 1, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #35,450 of 65,626
il_fullxfull.1181256087_qpow.jpg

okay so it's not concentric drivers.and i don't see any crossover. i still wondering how they put those seem like a normal size of grado drivers into a cup

Hey hey GFC! Finally able to log back on! Woof!

Have I missed anything?!

other than how people do not like the new website because of the bugs, hard to navigate and that spirit labs stuff. you're not missing much

May 1, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #35,451 of 65,626
okay so it's not concentric drivers.and i don't see any crossover. i still wondering how they put those seem like a normal size of grado drivers into a cup

other than how people do not like the new website because of the bugs, hard to navigate and that spirit labs stuff. you're not missing much

See that to me screams phase issues and distortion, one driver behind the other? very odd.... Only works with hybrid designs where the BA driver doesn't get in the way usually.... Having 2 of the same driver, one behind the other I wouldn't think is a great idea, just my opinion anyway.

May 1, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #35,452 of 65,626
@Dillan
for grado mods i think they're the first one utilising two way drivers but not in headphone world though
do you know which drivers they're using for their mods? is it grado driver or their using third party drivers? because i think for MMXVI they're mention using sr80 drivers on their ebay page
and how they put the two drivers in that cup? if the cup size similar to the ps1000/ps1000e i don't think there's enough room for that.don't tell me they using concentric drivers. and what kind of crossover? if you could post a picture of inside the cup.that would be very nice.

to be honest i'm really sceptic but if it's turn out just like their advertising.this could be really nice finding.congrats man![/QUOTE]

You may check their FB page, they describe the construction details of the Twin Pulse in Italian, but with great pix! They also modded my Fostex TH500RP with amazing results: you can read my review here https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/fostex-th500rp.20398/

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #35,453 of 65,626
See that to me screams phase issues and distortion, one driver behind the other? very odd.... Only works with hybrid designs where the BA driver doesn't get in the way usually.... Having 2 of the same driver, one behind the other I wouldn't think is a great idea, just my opinion anyway.

for a moment i'm thinking concentric drivers,that's probably the only way to utilise 2 way drivers into small cup until i found out that picture.anyway since i don't see any crossover from that picture.it could be they utilise each driver as full range right? since it stated the impedance double at 64ohm on their website

@Jeff
thanks.i'm looking at their facebook page right now.still scrolling it down

May 1, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #35,454 of 65,626
i think they literally just stacking the drivers

14448762_1790674327888281_315296245157125024_n.jpg

14484658_1787241871564860_7936701098279958327_n.jpg

May 1, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #35,455 of 65,626
for a moment i'm thinking concentric drivers,that's probably the only way to utilise 2 way drivers into small cup until i found out that picture.anyway since i don't see any crossover from that picture.it could be they utilise each driver as full range right? since it stated the impedance double at 64ohm on their website

If they are 64ohm I am guessing they are using the two drivers in series. Interesting.

It looks like an isobaric subwoofer with a cone to magnet setup. http://www.vueaudio.com/isobaric-subwoofer-design/

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #35,456 of 65,626
yea.he did mention about isobaric design on his facebook page

May 1, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #35,457 of 65,626
If they are 64ohm I am guessing they are using the two drivers in series. Interesting.

It looks like an isobaric subwoofer with a cone to magnet setup. http://www.vueaudio.com/isobaric-subwoofer-design/

Doesn't seem like a great design, and it's usually only used in Subwoofer designs (2nd link):

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204374170-Isobaric-Enclosure-Types

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/154907-isobaric-loading-midrange-problems.html

May 1, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #35,458 of 65,626
yes usually using in subwoofer design. but there is linn isobarik. although i'm not sure if they only using the isobaric principle to their woofer or through out all mid and tweeter

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #35,459 of 65,626
I tried getting this sort of information before making my purchase but it was really hard as he didn't speak english at all and the more technical he got, the harder it was for Etsys auto translator to make it readable to me. The impedance is in fact doubled from normal Grado headphone and I kept pushing to find out exactly which driver they use but he kept telling me all SR series Grado use the exact same driver and said the only difference is the "tuning" which is basically just location and size of holes. I kind of got the impression that he ordered straight from the manufacturer that Grado uses and ordered the exact same driver that they use for their SR series and did all the tuning themselves.

I would've thought it was near impossible to stack the speakers like that without a huge amount of distortion.. they may measure with quite a bit actually, I would love to see some full on real world measurements. To my ears though I don't hear much distortion at all because pretty much the whole sound is masked by the emphasized upper frequencies. I think the mid bass is a lot more present than the sub bass too now that I have listened to it more. I did some direct side by side comparisons to the 800S and the twin pulse has slightly less wide soundstage and much less length/depth in stage/imaging. Honestly what drove me to buying these was just the mystery behind it and after listening, it just kind of creates even more mystery because the sound is super unique and exciting. Accuracy vs 800S wasn't insanely far off honestly, 800S is definitely more accurate and has much better imaging, but I would at least say they are comparable and the twin pulse still impressed me in that regard. The first thing I noticed when swapping back and forth was the punchiness and exciting sound of the twin pulse.. insanely dynamic and fun to listen to.

It is a headphone I LOVE to pair with a rock song or electronic song or anything upbeat and exciting and it makes for kind of an insane experience haha Extremely fun headphone, but yes it does get tiring and a little *much* after about an hour or so of listening. Like I said.. PS1000 on crack.

Oh and the cups are machined custom aluminum, not a complete replica of the PS1000, they're slightly bigger for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back