Grado Fan Club!
May 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2,836 of 65,938
Wow lol...those 325s are badass! I have to say, this guy does have excellent taste in headphones :)  I always enjoy seeing others who love the 325s as much as I do.

May 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,837 of 65,938
 Just a quick update on my end - I may be finally turning over to the tube dark side 
biggrin.gif

After a long stint in solid state land with the V200, a chance encounter with a Woo Audio WA2 has revealed that
 whilst 'pace, rhythm, and timing' is ok on the Woo - the other benefits are too great to simply ignore on
 the PS1000 - sound stage!

Its not exactly small on the V200 but I found that the Woo sounded a little more forward (just what the PS1000 needs)
 and yet the sound stage was a little more ample. Very promising, especially since this unit was running stock tubes.
 It certainly makes me wonder about the presentation if the WA2 was sporting some Sylvania 7236's, Amperax 7308's
 and Siemens 6V4's! 

May 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #2,838 of 65,938
Quote:
 Just a quick update on my end - I may be finally turning over to the tube dark side 
biggrin.gif

After a long stint in solid state land with the V200, a chance encounter with a Woo Audio WA2 has revealed that
 whilst 'pace, rhythm, and timing' is ok on the Woo - the other benefits are too great to simply ignore on

Its not exactly small on the V200 but I found that the Woo sounded a little more forward (just what the PS1000 needs)
 and yet the sound stage was a little more ample. Very promising, especially since this unit was running stock tubes.
 It certainly makes me wonder about the presentation if the WA2 was sporting some Sylvania 7236's, Amperax 7308's
 and Siemens 6V4's! 

I'm surprise of your experience with the PS1000 & WA2. I never thought to try my Grado while I had a WA2 on loan for my T1. Surprise because the Woo is an OTL design so mainly good for 200 ohm and higher impedance headphones.

Have you ever tried the Mappletree MAD Ear+ HD amplifier with your Grado?

Cheers

May 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2,839 of 65,938
Quote:
I'm surprise of your experience with the PS1000 & WA2. I never thought to try my Grado while I had a WA2 on loan for my T1. Surprise because the Woo is an OTL design so mainly good for 200 ohm and higher impedance headphones.

Have you ever tried the Mappletree MAD Ear+ HD amplifier with your Grado?

Cheers

I was quite surprised too - the WA2 had always been a T1 and HD800 match for me, I'd never had both the PS1000 and
 WA2 in the same spot before so I thought - 'Why not!' :)

Its interesting because Jacky Woo himself recommends the pairing -

* Recommended to pair with Woo Audio WA6-SE, WA2, WA22, and WA5-LE headphone amplifiers
* Woo Audio is an authorized Grado dealer.

Unfortunately, I have never seen a Mapletree in the flesh - those units are almost unheard of in Australia, I'd imagine
the freight from Canada would be horrendous - still very curious though!

I really do have my heart set though on the Ray Samuels Raptor for the PS1000 - hopefully I will be able to demo that
pairing soon enough, my impressions with other headphones such as the Edition 10 and HD650 suggest that it
will work assuming the source is somewhat forgiving.

May 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #2,840 of 65,938
Quote:
biggrin.gif

and Siemens 6V4's! 

Very nice :)  I love the look of those Woo amps...just beautiful!

May 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2,841 of 65,938
I love my 60is, in fact I prefer their signature to any of the rest of the Prestige line, they simply sound more balanced to me. Of the higher end models, which is most like the 60s?

May 15, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2,842 of 65,938
Well my Grado SR80i showed up today, only took two days. I am enjoying the ****** out of these things! I get it now! I understand all the hype now! I am sold. Consider me a Grado convert. I know these are only 80s, but they seem to do everything right, for me that is. And I haven't even started modding them yet. I intend on acclimatizing myself to the sound and then I will start to modding them. I have NEVER heard guitars reproduced like the 80s are doing right now, drums have more liveness to them as well. Grados definitely do something special with midrange. I know I am gushing like a little kid with a new toy, but, I can't help it at this point. These things are just so damn much fun to listen to.

I have a pair of flats, L cush, and Senn 414s coming this week sometime, so I will be doing some serious pad rolling before I start dismantling the cups. Are the comfies worth quarter modding at this point? Also how do they sound reversed?

Cheers,
Dan

The above was written some six hours ago when I got the 80s. These phones haven't left my head since then. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 This is a x-post from another thread I started.

May 15, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #2,844 of 65,938
Quote:
Well my Grado SR80i showed up today, only took two days. I am enjoying the ****** out of these things! I get it now! I understand all the hype now! I am sold. Consider me a Grado convert. I know these are only 80s, but they seem to do everything right, for me that is. And I haven't even started modding them yet. I intend on acclimatizing myself to the sound and then I will start to modding them. I have NEVER heard guitars reproduced like the 80s are doing right now, drums have more liveness to them as well. Grados definitely do something special with midrange. I know I am gushing like a little kid with a new toy, but, I can't help it at this point. These things are just so damn much fun to listen to.

I have a pair of flats, L cush, and Senn 414s coming this week sometime, so I will be doing some serious pad rolling before I start dismantling the cups. Are the comfies worth quarter modding at this point? Also how do they sound reversed?

Cheers,
Dan

The above was written some six hours ago when I got the 80s. These phones haven't left my head since then. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 This is a x-post from another thread I started.

I know *exactly* what you're feeling, my friend :)  I had tried several sub-$100 headphones, and the 80s were so far above and beyond the other models I tried that I was blown away. You're exactly right about guitars....both electric and acoustic strings sound fantastic. As you're finding out, Grado bass is also addicting...they aren't bottom feeders by any means, but the bass is very tight and crisp...I love it! I will never sell my 80s, and even with such great phones as the T1s and PS500s around, my 80s still get head time.

May 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #2,845 of 65,938
Is the MAD Ear +  a perfect partner to Rs1i and HF2 ?

I heard that Hf2 is damn good with woo audio amp. But never heard some things about the pair of HF 2 and Mad ear+.
 It is said that rs1i are awesome or really sing with MAD Ear +.

should i spend on MAD, Woo WA6 or Asgard (Lyr)  ? 

May 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2,846 of 65,938
Quote:

I know *exactly* what you're feeling, my friend :)  I had tried several sub-$100 headphones, and the 80s were so far above and beyond the other models I tried that I was blown away. You're exactly right about guitars....both electric and acoustic strings sound fantastic. As you're finding out, Grado bass is also addicting...they aren't bottom feeders by any means, but the bass is very tight and crisp...I love it! I will never sell my 80s, and even with such great phones as the T1s and PS500s around, my 80s still get head time.

Indeed, these will probably never escape my grip. If this is a taste of things to come by moving up the Grado line my wallet is in serious danger. The only other headphone that came close to impressing me like these Grados were the DT990/250s. 

Listening to SRV's Couldn't Stand the Weather is sublime, the guitar sounds so present and real, Chris Layton's drums have so much snap and impact. Damn I love these phones. Ok I will try and shut up now about my Grados.

Cheers

May 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,847 of 65,938
Quote:

Indeed, these will probably never escape my grip. If this is a taste of things to come by moving up the Grado line my wallet is in serious danger. The only other headphone that came close to impressing me like these Grados were the DT990/250s. 

Listening to SRV's Couldn't Stand the Weather is sublime, the guitar sounds so present and real, Chris Layton's drums have so much snap and impact. Damn I love these phones. Ok I will try and shut up now about my Grados.

Cheers

There are actually several of us who are BeyerD/Grado guys...I love having both the T1s and my Grado 500s...fantastic complement to each other :)

And hell, feel free to talk about your Grados any time you want...I can assure you there will always be at least one person who will listen :wink:

May 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,848 of 65,938
Quote:

There are actually several of us who are BeyerD/Grado guys...I love having both the T1s and my Grado 500s...fantastic complement to each other :)

And hell, feel free to talk about your Grados any time you want...I can assure you there will always be at least one person who will listen :wink:

Yes, out of all the headphones I have tried, Beyers are my second fave next to the Grados, although I really like my Superlux HD668b as well. So I assume the T1s sound as nice as they look? :)
Yes the novelty will wear off eventually and I will be a little less enthusiastic about my 80s, but then I will have moved on to bigger and better things within the Grado line. How are the 500s anyway?

May 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2,849 of 65,938
Quote:
Yes, out of all the headphones I have tried, Beyers are my second fave next to the Grados, although I really like my Superlux HD668b as well. So I assume the T1s sound as nice as they look? :)
Yes the novelty will wear off eventually and I will be a little less enthusiastic about my 80s, but then I will have moved on to bigger and better things within the Grado line. How are the 500s anyway?

The 500s are excellent. My frame of reference was the 325s, and compared to them the 500s are a bit less bright with more bass extension and a bigger soundstage. I don't know what else I could want a pair of Grados to do, so I'm really wanting to hear a pair of PS1000s just to see the difference. I also want to try the RS1s again cause I got a bum pair and had to ship them back. They are nice and light on my head and I have enjoyed everything I've thrown at them so far. Just fantastic headphones.

And yep, the T1s are fantastic, as well. I love Beyerdynamic build quality and comfort. I feel pretty spoiled having the ability to choose between the T1s and 500s on a daily basis...it's a great feeling to have quality like this available to enjoy

May 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #2,850 of 65,938
Quote:
The 500s are excellent. My frame of reference was the 325s, and compared to them the 500s are a bit less bright with more bass extension and a bigger soundstage. I don't know what else I could want a pair of Grados to do, so I'm really wanting to hear a pair of PS1000s just to see the difference. I also want to try the RS1s again cause I got a bum pair and had to ship them back. They are nice and light on my head and I have enjoyed everything I've thrown at them so far. Just fantastic headphones.

And yep, the T1s are fantastic, as well. I love Beyerdynamic build quality and comfort. I feel pretty spoiled having the ability to choose between the T1s and 500s on a daily basis...it's a great feeling to have quality like this available to enjoy

I will keep that in mind for my next Grado upgrade. Yes indeed you are spoiled. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back