Grado Fan Club!
Oct 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #19,261 of 65,624
  Would the RS2 be less aggressive than the RS1? For metal I found the RS1 to be the best I've heard, but for Japanese pop it felt too bright with the L-cush, and too forward with the S-cush. Thinking of upgrading, but the RS1 is out of my budget!  D:

Although I've never heard them... maybe you would like the PS-500/e
From the posts I've read everyone claims they have nice bass and are not bright in the upper frequencies.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #19,262 of 65,624
Would the RS2 be less aggressive than the RS1? For metal I found the RS1 to be the best I've heard, but for Japanese pop it felt too bright with the L-cush, and too forward with the S-cush. Thinking of upgrading, but the RS1 is out of my budget!  D:

keeping in mind that I have not owned the Rs2 for some time, I certainly do not remember it being less aggressive than the rs1. If you're looking to stay with a Grado can, then maybe a ps500 like Joseph said would be a good choice. Now a days you can find a used pair for under $400 usd.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #19,263 of 65,624
I have a late model RS2is that have the red driver and 1/8" termination. I would guess they are an early 'e' model. However, I don't have anything to compare to, so curious to hear what others have to say. I'm enjoying them so far, trying to figure out a dac and amp to run with.

Ooo, you have a pair of "RedEyes", I wonder whether you have the dark (i) or lighter (e) mahogany.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #19,264 of 65,624
I have a late model RS2is that have the red driver and 1/8" termination. I would guess they are an early 'e' model. However, I don't have anything to compare to, so curious to hear what others have to say. I'm enjoying them so far, trying to figure out a dac and amp to run with.

Can you describe the sound signature of the rs2e?

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #19,265 of 65,624
Thanks guys. I've actually tried the PS500 in the past (not 500e though) and liked them for the genre: energetic bass, forwardness of a Grado yet smoother treble. I thought the midbass got excessive at times though...not a bad thing for my fun listening but when I try to immerse myself in the music the midbass distracts me from achieving that. But they're definitely still on my list, along with the Shure SRH1840, I'm thinking my PS500 impressions would change the next time I get to try them. Right now I'm just waiting for the 400i to come out here in Canada so I can just do a shootout with the other cans and get the upgrade over with lol! I'm leaning towards the 1840s for now, but it's a shame that they don't have the midbass impact I get with my SR125i. Man it seems like there's always some kind of trade off when buying a new pair of headphones, but that's what makes the hobby so interesting!

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #19,266 of 65,624
Ooo, you have a pair of "RedEyes", I wonder whether you have the dark (i) or lighter (e) mahogany.

I had wondered the same, not really sure. They look fairly light from the sides, but darker on the rear face (end grain).

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #19,267 of 65,624
Can you describe the sound signature of the rs2e?

I am happy to try. These are my first real headphones, so am afraid I don't have a reference. (Apologize for the long reply)

A little background, I did spend a fair amount of time of messing around with home stereo. This was a bit in the past now, but I had messed with all kinds of amps (tube and SS), and a few speakers. I ended up selling off my higher-end (mid-fi, in reality), commercial amps and built a pair of Welborne Labs 300B monos, and moving to building single driver speakers. Tried quite a few drivers as well, mostly in the Fostex line-up. Finally moved to open baffles, which worked great with the drivers I was using (though they shouldn't have worked). From there, tried a Patek chip amp on a whim (see here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiosector/patek_2.html, my amp is the one in the upper left, using one of the large block power supplies, as shown below), and that was it. As good as the 300Bs were, the chip amp was that much better to me. Very deep, solid and controlled bass. Extended highs, but not remotely harsh, a tad laid back. Felt I could live with this for a long time, and ended up with a pair of very nice German-made Veravox drivers. (still have these pieces, just no room)

I'm only playing out of my HTC phone or MacBook Pro, listen while I'm working. I bought the phones lightly used, they weren't broken in. I wasn't sure about them at first, as the bass was lacking and the balance seemed off. But as I've broken them in, bass is coming in nicely, sound is balancing out. I do have to turn them up a bit to get the bass to come up, I'd imagine some of this is the amp just not having great control. Mids to seem a touch forward, but much less than I was expecting reading reviews of this model. I'm listening mainly to lossless, and some internet radio (some is better than others). 

What I've realized is that if a song is well recorded, it's represented well. Bass is there, details are there. I remember bass being stronger with some of my music on my old home system mentioned above, but it's well represented and in all honesty, better than I thought it might be. Mids and highs are great, not shrill unless the recording is bad. I did play a tune the other day that was brutal. Top end is there and pleasant, if not a touch laid back.

I've listened to all types of music from rock and punk to jazz and classical. Really enjoy acoustic singer-song writer music when I can find it. I've even put on some bassy electronic to see how they would do (most recently, Mr Oizo, from the archives), and they sounded good. Not the huge pressure chamber I'd image you could get in a closed back, but it made me smile.

I'm enjoying these and hope this is helpful, enough rambling. My challenge now is trying to find an amp that will offer a similar sound to the Patek mentioned above. Something simple for the desktop (M-stage, Schiit, RSA,???), so if anyone has any thoughts, greatly appreciate it.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #19,268 of 65,624
  Thanks guys. I've actually tried the PS500 in the past (not 500e though) and liked them for the genre: energetic bass, forwardness of a Grado yet smoother treble. I thought the midbass got excessive at times though...not a bad thing for my fun listening but when I try to immerse myself in the music the midbass distracts me from achieving that. But they're definitely still on my list, along with the Shure SRH1840, I'm thinking my PS500 impressions would change the next time I get to try them. Right now I'm just waiting for the 400i to come out here in Canada so I can just do a shootout with the other cans and get the upgrade over with lol! I'm leaning towards the 1840s for now, but it's a shame that they don't have the midbass impact I get with my SR125i. Man it seems like there's always some kind of trade off when buying a new pair of headphones, but that's what makes the hobby so interesting!

I'm also waiting for the 400i's, which shipped yesterday, they will be my first experience with a planar.
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #19,270 of 65,624
  I'm also waiting for the 400i's, which shipped yesterday, they will be my first experience with a planar.
beerchug.gif

I will be interested to see what you think of them. I have determined I don't think I'm a planar guy. Something just sounds off too me.Way too relaxed a sound for me.  I did try the 400i for about 10 minutes at the headphone meet in Nashville meet, of all the planars I have listened to , it is the only one that I have considered getting. Obviously 10 minutes isn't long enough to determine anything....Looking forward toward your impressions. Congrats on the headphone
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #19,271 of 65,624
I will be interested to see what you think of them. I have determined I don't think I'm a planar guy. Something just sounds off too me.Way too relaxed a sound for me.  I did try the 400i for about 10 minutes at the headphone meet in Nashville meet, of all the planars I have listened to , it is the only one that I have considered getting. Obviously 10 minutes isn't long enough to determine anything....Looking forward toward your impressions. Congrats on the headphone:D

Thank you sir. Anxious to hear how they compare. Have you heard the 500s?

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #19,272 of 65,624
I've got some incoming as well. Plan to do a pretty involved write up comparing them to the HE500s.

I only have Grados to compare them with, so for the most part I'm just venturing out to hear a planar.

I will be interested to see what you think of them. I have determined I don't think I'm a planar guy. Something just sounds off too me.Way too relaxed a sound for me.  I did try the 400i for about 10 minutes at the headphone meet in Nashville meet, of all the planars I have listened to , it is the only one that I have considered getting. Obviously 10 minutes isn't long enough to determine anything....Looking forward toward your impressions. Congrats on the headphone
biggrin.gif

What sounds a little off to you? This is not the first time I've heard someone say this.
I want to find out if I'm a planar guy or not myself, so I'll be listening to them exclusively.
Good to know that its the only one you would consider getting…hope I like them.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #19,274 of 65,624
HE-500 is awesome, still the best headphone I've ever heard to date. RS1i is a very very close second. I'm planning to get either the HE560 or HE400i (whichever one I can afford) to compliment my RS1i. 
I'm very interested to hear your report on the HiFiMan hp's because I'm still looking for a mate for my RS1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back