Grado Fan Club!
Jul 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #16,591 of 65,772
  The E12 isn't much of an amp... Heck even the LD MK1+ makes a difference with the PS500. The MAD Ear HD+ and the Glenn OTL both offer significant improvement VS an entry level amp.

Yeah.  This.   Give them a try on some tubes or something:)  Had a WA2 up until recently, whether it was the tubes or the high output impedance of the amp there was definitely a difference in sound from solid state offerings I've had.  I won't say better or worse because I think its just a preference thing, but i enjoyed the hp2 with tubes.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #16,593 of 65,772
  Grado 'e' series now selling from Grado's UK website (http://www.grado.co.uk/)

Wow, what ridiculous prices. 700£ for the RS1e, that's 880 euros or 1200 usd!!! Almost double the US price. At that price might as well just import them from the US and pay taxes:

700USD + ~30% including VAT+customs tax = 910USD (660eur/530£), 300usd less.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #16,594 of 65,772

Grado 'e' series now selling from Grado's UK website (http://www.grado.co.uk/)

Wow, what ridiculous prices. 700£ for the RS1e, that's 880 euros or 1200 usd!!! Almost double the US price. At that price might as well just import them from the US and pay taxes:

Yikes 
eek.gif

I would definitely buy then US and pay taxes

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #16,595 of 65,772
  Yikes 
eek.gif

I would definitely buy then US and pay taxes

That's what I've always done personally, never bought a pair of Grados from Europe, prices are ridiculous. And it's even cheaper if you buy them used from the US, because if they're shipped by the US postal service and declared as a gift you can usually get away with not paying any customs tax or VAT. This pair of SR325i I have I bought used on Head-Fi for 180USD + 30USD shipping = 210USD (150 euros), no tax, no VAT. On amazon France, they are 260 euros new.

I still don't understand why Europeans bother buying Grados in Europe.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #16,596 of 65,772

Grados have always been very expensive over here
frown.gif

To be fair to Grado, that's the price they were selling the older models for as well, so no price increase. Also, some of the RRPs have actually come down over the last year or so. The 225i was going for £299 a while back, and some places where asking for £899 for the RS1i
eek.gif

Importing from the USA is hard as Grado regulate their dealers quite strictly. No one is officially allowed to export to the UK (or elsewhere I guess) If you are able to get one imported, I wouldn't be surprised if Grado refuse to honour the warranty.

The only official way to get a 'cheap' Grado is to buy an Alessandro ...

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #16,597 of 65,772

frown.gif

To be fair to Grado, that's the price they were selling the older models for as well, so no price increase. Also, some of the RRPs have actually come down over the last year or so. The 225i was going for £299 a while back, and some places where asking for £899 for the RS1i
eek.gif

Importing from the USA is hard as Grado regulate their dealers quite strictly. No one is officially allowed to export to the UK (or elsewhere I guess) If you are able to get one imported, I wouldn't be surprised if Grado refuse to honour the warranty.

So MS-Pro would be a great choice if buying over yonder

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #16,599 of 65,772

frown.gif

eek.gif

I've never had a problem buying Grados from overseas, which US dealer refused to ship to you?? I've bought from a few in the past with no problem whatsoever. I've never heard of Grado telling their dealers not to ship overseas, and Grado won't refuse to honour warranty, they will just point you to a local Grado dealer. I broke part of my sr325i headband and emailed Grado for a replacement part, they pointed me to a French Grado dealer who sent me the part for free, they even paid shipping, and I bought my Grados used on Head-Fi years ago.

No way am I settling for an Alessandro. I want my original Grado :D

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #16,600 of 65,772

I've never had a problem buying Grados from overseas, which US dealer refused to ship to you?? I've bought from a few in the past with no problem whatsoever. I've never heard of Grado telling their dealers not to ship overseas, and Grado won't refuse to honour warranty, they will just point you to a local Grado dealer. I broke part of my sr325i headband and emailed Grado for a replacement part, they pointed me to a French Grado dealer who sent me the part for free, they even paid shipping, and I bought my Grados used on Head-Fi years ago.

No way am I settling for an Alessandro. I want my original Grado :D

Interesting!

I certainly had trouble buying from a few US dealers (also tried Amazon.com) but this was a couple of years ago now. The 4ourears (Grado direct) website says no, but I've just tried the TTVJ website and it looks like I can buy from there.  Maybe they are more relaxed about it than I thought! 

One thing that might be different with the UK though is that we have an 'official' UK-based Grado company, with a Grado.co.uk website (even if it is just a different company operating under the Grado brand) They deal with Grado directly and operate their own network of dealers in the UK (and handle all warranty / repair stuff themselves.)

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #16,601 of 65,772

Interesting!

I certainly had trouble buying from a few US dealers (also tried Amazon.com) but this was a couple of years ago now. The 4ourears (Grado direct) website says no, but I've just tried the TTVJ website and it looks like I can buy from there.  Maybe they are more relaxed about it than I thought! 

One thing that might be different with the UK though is that we have an 'official' UK-based Grado company, with a Grado.co.uk website (even if it is just a different company operating under the Grado brand) They deal with Grado directly and operate their own network of dealers in the UK (and handle all warranty / repair stuff themselves.)

Yeah I guess maybe the restrictions are more severe for the UK than other EU countries. I've just emailed TTVJ about it to see, I haven't bought a new pair of Grados for many years now (I usually just buy them used on Head-Fi). Maybe things have changed.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #16,602 of 65,772

Yeah I guess maybe the restrictions are more severe for the UK than other EU countries. I've just emailed TTVJ about it to see, I haven't bought a new pair of Grados for many years now (I usually just buy them used on Head-Fi). Maybe things have changed.

I'd be interested to hear what he says!

I also tend to buy my Grados used on the forum
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #16,603 of 65,772

I'd be interested to hear what he says!

I also tend to buy my Grados used on the forum
biggrin.gif

yeah, if TTVJ won't ship to me I will just wait for a used pair of RS1e to pop up on the forums I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back