Grado e Series
Sep 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #5,536 of 6,729
  ^ You're expecting too much from a $100 HP.

There's a lot of hype on Head-Fi too.

Thanks @CanadianMaestro for the reply, it seems I may have been riding the hype train. I think they're excellent for their price though. So in your opinion will the 325e's scale well and match their price? Or will they be much of the same but in a nicer package? It's just hard for me to picture how much better they are than the 80e's as they are using the same drivers, so do they go through their own tuning process? Thanks once again!

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #5,537 of 6,729
  Does anyone else get the feeling that the 80e's are a little jumbled with their presentation? Like imaging/soundstage and and instruments sound like they are just there and aren't placed somewhere on the stage in front of you? I don't know what I should be expecting from a $100 headphone but I thought it would have a comparable/better soundstage than my more expensive closed back on ears. Am I expecting too much? Feel like the black sheep here as normally people are gushing over the 80e's and I feel like I've missed the boat
eek.gif
?!

I recently switched out my 80e’s for a pair of 125e’s.  With the 80e’s, I just couldn’t get past the overpowering bass/mids that you mentioned.  They’re a somewhat strange headphone - they’re not particularly detailed, but they’re still kind of fun.  Certain instruments do poke out here and there, but the sound is largely “in your head".  I originally liked them, because they didn’t have the usual V-shape sound that many headphones have in that price range.  Still a good value for $100...

But as time went on, I realized that the overall balance just wasn’t working for me.  I also have a pair of RS2e’s, which stayed at home, while I relied on the less expensive 80e's to cart around with me everyday, for work (video editing).  I’m much happier with the 125e’s - not as dark, with a better control over the bass/mids and a more open sound.

I haven’t heard the 325’s in a while, but they’re one model below the RS2e’s, and sound pretty close.  They are much different than the 80e, and IMO great headphones - how much better is up to the listener...

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #5,538 of 6,729

Thanks @CanadianMaestro for the reply, it seems I may have been riding the hype train. I think they're excellent for their price though. So in your opinion will the 325e's scale well and match their price? Or will they be much of the same but in a nicer package? It's just hard for me to picture how much better they are than the 80e's as they are using the same drivers, so do they go through their own tuning process? Thanks once again!

I still have my 80i. With L-type pads. That's how much I liked it -- for hotel rooms and just for fun, non-critical listening of rock and pop tracks.
beerchug.gif

One of audio's supreme values at its price -- 60i too.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,539 of 6,729
I recently switched out my 80e’s for a pair of 125e’s.  With the 80e’s, I just couldn’t get past the overpowering bass/mids that you mentioned.  They’re a somewhat strange headphone - they’re not particularly detailed, but they’re still kind of fun.  Certain instruments do poke out here and there, but the sound is largely “in your head".  I originally liked them, because they didn’t have the usual V-shape sound that many headphones have in that price range.  Still a good value for $100...

But as time went on, I realized that the overall balance just wasn’t working for me.  I also have a pair of RS2e’s, which stayed at home, while I relied on the less expensive 80e's to cart around with me everyday, for work (video editing).  I’m much happier with the 125e’s - not as dark, with a better control over the bass/mids and a more open sound.

I haven’t heard the 325’s in a while, but they’re one model below the RS2e’s, and sound pretty close.  They are much different than the 80e, and IMO great headphones - how much better is up to the listener...

Feels good to have what I've been hearing confirmed. Thought I was the odd one out in thinking that their bass was a bit much and invasive. Good to know that they improve as you go up! I've been reading reviews on the 325e and they are unanimously positive... But so are they for the 80e so I thought everyone was perhaps on the "don't bash anything made in Brooklyn" train haha! But I must say I really do like them and appreciate them for what they do, and I really do think I'll make the jump up to the 325e! Any input from others that have had the opportunity to experience both?

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #5,540 of 6,729
  Thank you kayandjohn. One thing though please don't point the finger at me it you give in and your wallet starts hurting. 
biggrin.gif

Don't worry, John is beyond help, heck!, I consider myself beyond help, and I own less than halph of what he owns!
biggrin.gif

Does anyone else get the feeling that the 80e's are a little jumbled with their presentation? Like imaging/soundstage and and instruments sound like they are just there and aren't placed somewhere on the stage in front of you? I don't know what I should be expecting from a $100 headphone but I thought it would have a comparable/better soundstage than my more expensive closed back on ears. Am I expecting too much? Feel like the black sheep here as normally people are gushing over the 80e's and I feel like I've missed the boat
eek.gif
?!

I am one of those who praise the SR80e. That being said, their price has to be taken into consideration. They are the second less expensive headphones that Grado makes, so it wouldn't be fair to base my comments on how they sound compared to my PS1000.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #5,541 of 6,729
So I mentioned earlier in the thread that my beloved RS2e had a driver defect that caused bass notes to rattle badly in the right channel.   After getting them repaired under warranty, they still have the problem.  It's just less pronounced...   It sounds like a permanent hair grattle that happens even when the earpads are off and the headphone is held away from my head.   I find it hard to believe that they consider this acceptable for a $500 pair of headphones. 

I'm feeling like I'm about done with Grado.  I love the sound of their headphones, but their quality control is atrocious, especially considering the prices.  The RS1i was $700 and advertised to have drivers matched to .05db, yet had an obvious imbalance that had to be fixed and never was- they were just sent back with a slightly less obvious imbalance than before.  Then the RS1e was generally a disaster.  I really wanted the RS2e to be defect free after all that... For the amount of money I've spent on these high end models I've just wanted one good pair of headphones and Grado has failed to deliver every time.

The 225 is the only model that has never let me down.  Both the original and 225e I bought were flawless.... no defective drivers, no balance issues.  Why Grado can't manage the same for headphones costing nearly 4x as much is beyond me. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #5,542 of 6,729
@Nerrel That's harsh. If you're still under store warranty I would suggest return them to the store. In the UK, once an item has had an attempted repair, you are within you rights to ask for money back. Initially the store is only obliged to repair or replace. You could always ask them to replace the RS2e if you still want them. Or get your cash back and buy another pair.

A similar thing happened with my SR125i. From new they were fine for about two weeks. Then there was a horrid distortion on a particular bass sound. (It was the drums at the start of loading a game in Skyrim.) It happened occasionally in other bits of music. When the store had no more 125i, I got a 255i discounted. (They turned out to be 225e drivers.)

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #5,544 of 6,729
SO pleased!  I have had some SR80e's on order for nearly a month (supplier ran out) and I expect them soon.  I'm looking forward to them!!

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5,545 of 6,729
Does anyone find that the new e series Grado headphones have some serious quality issue. I have bought a RS1e half a year ago and they had channel imbalance for which I sent them back for repairing a few days ago. Then I bought a new GH1 from TTVJ recently but one of the drivers did not even work! So I sent them back for replacement but still got back a new one with channel imbalance. I feel like they are not the same company anymore... I have a lot of vintage Grados and they still work as new! What's the matter with the new Grados:frowning2:

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5,546 of 6,729
  Does anyone find that the new e series Grado headphones have some serious quality issue. I have bought a RS1e half a year ago and they had channel imbalance for which I sent them back for repairing a few days ago. Then I bought a new GH1 from TTVJ recently but one of the drivers did not even work! So I sent them back for replacement but still got back a new one with channel imbalance. I feel like they are not the same company anymore... I have a lot of vintage Grados and they still work as new! What's the matter with the new Grados:frowning2:

I think you just received some bad GH-1 HP's…It happens. I don't have a single complaint with anything about my GH-1.
The RS1e unfortunately just wasn't very popular at all to begin with. 
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #5,548 of 6,729
So I eventually did sell my RS1e, and I have some final thoughts on it.

I think the sound as an RS1, is still better than the RS1i. It can't reproduce the treble texture that the RS1i can, but it's a little better balanced overall. The soundstage is also a little wider, but the imaging isn't quite as good. It's very much one of those "This is more enjoyable to listen to, but not necessarily as technically good" situations. Bass on the RS1e is absolutely better than the RS1i to the best of my recollection. 

That said, it IS a different direction for the RS1 and I'm not exactly sure where it fits in the lineup. I think in retrospect it should have offered more clarity; it takes a while to sink into the sound and pick out the parts you really want to listen to. This wasn't an issue in previous RS1 models. The RS1 excelled at texture and clarity as I remember it, and this RS1 doesn't really do either. It is now sort of an "ultimate SR60" and refines that sound to its zenith... the RS1 of olde was a departure from the SR sound, be it brighter and more treble focused (RS1i) or clear and balanced (RS1 of previous generations). I dunno. It sits at a funny spot and I'm sure one day we'll wake up and they'll have changed it again. I question whether Grado knows what to do with it; it's no longer the "high end" in their lineup (and hasn't been for ages) but it doesn't seem to offer anything truly unique to the equation. 

As for pricing, I think its value rests comfortably somewhere between $400 and $500, depending on the materials used and personal taste.

So why exactly did I get rid of it? I did like it, but my office is jam packed with folks right now (we're working on several movies at once) and it just leaked way too much sound. I don't think it was necessarily intrusive to the people around me, but if I wanted to listen to the same song on repeat a few times I felt like I was pushing it on others. Plus I watch some pretty dumb movies and documentaries while I work. As I wear headphones 8 hours a day at the office, it seemed like a waste. I traded them for the Audio Technica W5000, a headphone that I remember getting a great fit on almost a decade ago, and searching through my old messages and comments reminded me very much of the RS1 of olde. And it still does: I don't have any fit issues so the bass is actually quite good... I don't actually think I could listen all day to a headphone with MORE bass than the W5000. Excellent female vocals too, something the RS1e didn't do as well as its predecessors.  

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #5,549 of 6,729
  So I eventually did sell my RS1e, and I have some final thoughts on it.

I think the sound as an RS1, is still better than the RS1i. It can't reproduce the treble texture that the RS1i can, but it's a little better balanced overall. The soundstage is also a little wider, but the imaging isn't quite as good. It's very much one of those "This is more enjoyable to listen to, but not necessarily as technically good" situations. Bass on the RS1e is absolutely better than the RS1i to the best of my recollection. 

That said, it IS a different direction for the RS1 and I'm not exactly sure where it fits in the lineup. I think in retrospect it should have offered more clarity; it takes a while to sink into the sound and pick out the parts you really want to listen to. This wasn't an issue in previous RS1 models. The RS1 excelled at texture and clarity as I remember it, and this RS1 doesn't really do either. It is now sort of an "ultimate SR60" and refines that sound to its zenith... the RS1 of olde was a departure from the SR sound, be it brighter and more treble focused (RS1i) or clear and balanced (RS1 of previous generations). I dunno. It sits at a funny spot and I'm sure one day we'll wake up and they'll have changed it again. I question whether Grado knows what to do with it; it's no longer the "high end" in their lineup (and hasn't been for ages) but it doesn't seem to offer anything truly unique to the equation. 

As for pricing, I think its value rests comfortably somewhere between $400 and $500, depending on the materials used and personal taste.

So why exactly did I get rid of it? I did like it, but my office is jam packed with folks right now (we're working on several movies at once) and it just leaked way too much sound. I don't think it was necessarily intrusive to the people around me, but if I wanted to listen to the same song on repeat a few times I felt like I was pushing it on others. Plus I watch some pretty dumb movies and documentaries while I work. As I wear headphones 8 hours a day at the office, it seemed like a waste. I traded them for the Audio Technica W5000, a headphone that I remember getting a great fit on almost a decade ago, and searching through my old messages and comments reminded me very much of the RS1 of olde. And it still does: I don't have any fit issues so the bass is actually quite good... I don't actually think I could listen all day to a headphone with MORE bass than the W5000. Excellent female vocals too, something the RS1e didn't do as well as its predecessors.  

Which "version" of the RS1e did you have... the older one with protruding drivers, or the newer version where drivers are flush to the cups?  Thanks!  Great to hear your thought that it is an improvement to the (already great) RS1i.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5,550 of 6,729
  Which "version" of the RS1e did you have... the older one with protruding drivers, or the newer version where drivers are flush to the cups?  Thanks!  Great to hear your thought that it is an improvement to the (already great) RS1i.

I had the version with inset drivers, flush with the cups. I could replicate the problems people were having with it by wearing it without earpads though. And improvement isn't really the right word... I think the i vs the e is much more of ta personal preference. The i is more treble focused and able to reveal timbre better than the e, which has a more balanced output (akin to the MSPro in some ways) but lacks treble sparkle and vocal sweetness. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back