Grado e Series
Sep 14, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,521 of 6,729

What tube\s you guys using with the Solstice?

Looking at ordering one soon. Also into mainly rock\metal.

My preferred tube at the moment for the Solstice + 325e is a GE 12BH7A.  It's a 12v tube.  It has a nice balance of bass and mids to give it a lusher sound.  I like bass and a fullness at times, so I also rotate in tape-modded L-Cush pads.

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #5,522 of 6,729
  If you mean Joseph's impressions, Then yes, I have been following it-Since his pair has also new drivers maybe it needs some more burn in, So you can't still compare objectively.
Anyway, I learned today that burn in exists! That is a great lesson, I wasn't always so sure about it, But believe me, Those are not the same headphones anymore!

I went and got the following for you,  from the PS1000 appreciation thread.

For those who might not know, I did another (2nd time), between my PS1k, and the e version.

I should mention that the Yamaha RX-V2220 that I had use as a pre amp for the first PS1k vs PS1ke comparison, is no longer with us, it died a horrific death a few weeks ago, and has since been replace by a Yamaha RX-A850, wich was not used for this comparison.

For this comparison, I used the same recording that I always use, and am very familiar with.

I did most of my listening using the headphone output of a vintage Marantz 2235B. This reciever has great bass extension, and a very warm, ritch sound signature. I also used my Little Dot 1+ with Voskhod tubes. I went with the LD 1+, because it's the amp that I usually use with the PS1k.

I listened to my old PS1k first, and then switched back and forth between the two, as I went through the CDs that I always use for comparing headphones.

The first thing that surprised me when I listened to the e was the apparent absence of bass. This floored me, because in the first time that I had compared the two, the e seemed to have deeper bass than the old PS1k. This was true for both the reciever's output, and the LD 1+.

The e's mids had slightly more presence, and warmth. but the soundstage was a bit narrower. This is basically what I had concluded the first time, so no major surprise there.

The highs were more similar than what I remember. This might be due the fact the e now have a few more hours on them. They were still a bit more forgiving, but the difference was less obvious.

Sadly, though not surpringly, comfort with the e was still an issue, the portruded drivers were pressing on my smallish ears.

Even if I came to the same conclusion, I'm glad that I had the opportunity to do another comparison between the PS1k and the e version. I can totally understand why M.H. and others,  prefer the e's more balanced sound.

To me,  the old PS1k sounds more exiting. This is also why I bought a pair of n.o.s. RS1, they might not be as neutral sounding as the i version, but they sure sound exiting.

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong in this great hobby of ours, there's simply, one big gray area. This is why I often use words like, ''In my opinion...'', ''I think that...'', ''I find that...'', ''as far as I'm concerned...'', ''the way I see it...''. I also try to give credit where it's due. So I will leave the conclusion to Macedonian Hero, who I think, summed it up best...''the PS1k, and the PS1ke sound a lot more alike, than they do different''.

M.H., don't hesitate to correct me if I have misquoted you, I have good excuses, so I won't be offended...partly because my native tongue is French, and also because I'm so strongly medicated.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #5,523 of 6,729
^ I generally concur...but I would classify the PS1000's more bass as more mid-bass (and less subsequent sub-bass) on my GS-X Mk2. So while the former can sound more "fun", the latter is certainly more in line with my HE1000s, SR-009s, etc... That's certainly not to say that the PS1000e is a neutral headphone...far from it. Just a tad closer in that direction than the more "U" sounding original. 

My main headphones are the SR-009, SR-007, HE1000, LCD-X and HD800s, so you can see why I definitely prefer the "e". With regards to soundstaging (again...on my setup GS-X Mk2 / Metrum Acoustics Hex DAC / mostly Tidal nowadays), I found the "e" version has a slightly more open sound and better clarity (as the mid-bass on the PS1000s could get in the way of the mids). 

Comfort, with my noggin' & ears, they were identical. Though some have preferred the original (though likely have bigger ears than I 
tongue.gif
).

But I want to stress, both are more close to each other than different and the differences are more subtle. So pick your poison...more fun "U" shaped FR response (and save $$$) go get a used PS1000, if you want a more natural sound, or only buy new (as some around here only do), then the PS1000e's. 

So between stacker45's comments and mine, I think you should have plenty of information, but nothing beats a listen for yourself!

Now back to cheering for the Tampa Rays...beat d'em Yanks. (I'm a big Blue Jay fan FWIW).

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #5,524 of 6,729
  ^ I generally concur...but I would classify the PS1000's more bass as more mid-bass (and less subsequent sub-bass) on my GS-X Mk2. So while the former can sound more "fun", the latter is certainly more in line with my HE1000s, SR-009s, etc... That's certainly not to say that the PS1000e is a neutral headphone...far from it. Just a tad closer in that direction than the more "U" sounding original. 

My main headphones are the SR-009, SR-007, HE1000, LCD-X and HD800s, so you can see why I definitely prefer the "e". With regards to soundstaging (again...on my setup GS-X Mk2 / Metrum Acoustics Hex DAC / mostly Tidal nowadays), I found the "e" version has a slightly more open sound and better clarity (as the mid-bass on the PS1000s could get in the way of the mids). 

Comfort, with my noggin' & ears, they were identical. Though some have preferred the original (though likely have bigger ears than I 
tongue.gif
).

But I want to stress, both are more close to each other than different and the differences are more subtle. So pick your poison...more fun "U" shaped FR response (and save $$$) go get a used PS1000, if you want a more natural sound, or only buy new (as some around here only do), then the PS1000e's. 

So between stacker45's comments and mine, I think you should have plenty of information, but nothing beats a listen for yourself!

Now back to cheering for the Tampa Rays...beat d'em Yanks. (I'm a big Blue Jay fan FWIW).

The reason that I said ''bass'', is because the PS1000's hump is close to 80hz. In my opinion,  mid-bass starts at 100-120hz.

If I'm the only one who thinks that way, I'm willing to start using the term ''mid bass'' from now on.
redface.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #5,525 of 6,729
If the PS1000(e) were a car they would be a Bentley Continental GT, big heavy, fast, and very bling bling!
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #5,526 of 6,729
  If the PS1000(e) were a car they would be a Bentley Continental GT, big heavy, fast, and very bling bling!
biggrin.gif

The Continental is not bling bling! It's class! 

But no doubt they're only Grados heavier than the SR325e... 

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #5,527 of 6,729
  The Continental is not bling bling! It's class! 

But no doubt they're only Grados heavier than the SR325e... 

Alright, I'm willing to take away one of the blings!
tongue.gif

They're not produced anymore, but I think that the HP1000, are probably the second all time heavyest Grados.
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #5,528 of 6,729
Well, I've been thinking about the PS500e for at least the past 6 months or so.  I've read everything I could about this HP & I finally pulled the trigger last Friday & got them today.  I'm trying to remain objective towards my listening experience/observations but it's pretty hard to.  So far I'm simply blown away by the sound of this HP.  I was leery concerning Grado products based on the many negative writings I've come across on Head-fi about Grados in general.

But my mind/memory kept returning to John Grandberg's (a.k.a. project86) review of the Auralic Taurus mkii on Innerfidelity's "Wall of Fame" Headphone Amplifiers' section.  Toward's the end in which he relates the sound of the amp with different HPs he elaborates a bit more on the PS500 (no "e" mentioned) and how it's his favourite Grado HP (including the PS1000, GS1000 & RS1);  John then relates his impressions of the PS500 w/ the Taurus mii & points out how he's reminded why he loves that particular HP so much (here he's alluding to the excellence of the amp enabling the PS500 to sound it's very best.)

So that analysis stuck w/ me more than reviews strictly dedicated to the PS500e.  A small aside here : I had a GS-X mk2 and returned it in the allowed 30 day period because prior to buying it I owned an sold a Taurus mkii.  I realized that I prefer the overall sound of the Taurus (please don't send me replies debating the GS-X mk2 vs Taurus mkii; it's a question of taste) and I purchased a new one.  Then I gave in to the PS500e to see/hear for myself once and for all.  Well they sound absolutely wonderful w/ the Taurus.

I listen to CDs so my set up is : PS500e≥ Teac SACD CD/2000≥ Bryston BDA-1 (another audio item mostly bashed on this site)> Auralic Taurus mkii.  I have the Taurus connected w/the Bryston DAC 1 in balanced mode and the Teac CD player connected to the DAC via coaxial (the reviews I've read about the BDA-1 "all" say the same : USB = not so good≥ Coaxial = Excellent sound & they're right, all of them.)  The PS500e is plugged into the SDT output.

The sound is not as spacious as the HD800 but it certainly is precise, balanced, articulate, detailed, good bass, no graininess, at times quite lush and definitely good PraT.  Depending on the recording it can sound a bit harsh but not to the point of being fatiguing & I've noticed that when this occurs the 500e usually redeems itself when one of the attributes formerly mentioned comes in to reestablish one of it's sound qualities.  Lastly the PS500e is a nice change from my Sennheiser 6xx siblings & it's HD800 flagship : not better, not worse, just enjoyably different with it's own sound signature.

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,529 of 6,729
  Well, I've been thinking about the PS500e for at least the past 6 months or so.  I've read everything I could about this HP & I finally pulled the trigger last Friday & got them today.  I'm trying to remain objective towards my listening experience/observations but it's pretty hard to.  So far I'm simply blown away by the sound of this HP.  I was leery concerning Grado products based on the many negative writings I've come across on Head-fi about Grados in general.

But my mind/memory kept returning to John Grandberg's (a.k.a. project86) review of the Auralic Taurus mkii on Innerfidelity's "Wall of Fame" Headphone Amplifiers' section.  Toward's the end in which he relates the sound of the amp with different HPs he elaborates a bit more on the PS500 (no "e" mentioned) and how it's his favourite Grado HP (including the PS1000, GS1000 & RS1);  John then relates his impressions of the PS500 w/ the Taurus mii & points out how he's reminded why he loves that particular HP so much (here he's alluding to the excellence of the amp enabling the PS500 to sound it's very best.)

So that analysis stuck w/ me more than reviews strictly dedicated to the PS500e.  A small aside here : I had a GS-X mk2 and returned it in the allowed 30 day period because prior to buying it I owned an sold a Taurus mkii.  I realized that I prefer the overall sound of the Taurus (please don't send me replies debating the GS-X mk2 vs Taurus mkii; it's a question of taste) and I purchased a new one.  Then I gave in to the PS500e to see/hear for myself once and for all.  Well they sound absolutely wonderful w/ the Taurus.

I listen to CDs so my set up is : PS500e≥ Teac SACD CD/2000≥ Bryston BDA-1 (another audio item mostly bashed on this site)> Auralic Taurus mkii.  I have the Taurus connected w/the Bryston DAC 1 in balanced mode and the Teac CD player connected to the DAC via coaxial (the reviews I've read about the BDA-1 "all" say the same : USB = not so good≥ Coaxial = Excellent sound & they're right, all of them.)  The PS500e is plugged into the SDT output.

The sound is not as spacious as the HD800 but it certainly is precise, balanced, articulate, detailed, good bass, no graininess, at times quite lush and definitely good PraT.  Depending on the recording it can sound a bit harsh but not to the point of being fatiguing & I've noticed that when this occurs the 500e usually redeems itself when one of the attributes formerly mentioned comes in to reestablish one of it's sound qualities.  Lastly the PS500e is a nice change from my Sennheiser 6xx siblings & it's HD800 flagship : not better, not worse, just enjoyably different with it's own sound signature.

What a great description dedicated to the PS500e!  Makes me want to get one to add to the PS500 (no e) that I already have! *

_____
*(To whoever just muttered, "Just a breath of air causes kayandjohn to get another Grado headphone to add to the collection!".........

....................... I HEARD THAT! )

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #5,531 of 6,729

Good description.

The original PS500 has remained in my stable, despite selling many other HPs, incl T1, LCD-2.2, GS1K, and RS1i. It is a keeper for sure.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #5,532 of 6,729
Has anyone had the chance to hear SR80e and the SR325e? I gave my GF the 80e's and I'm thinking about getting the 325e's at the moment.

I'm not 100% sold on the 80e's as when I compare them to my Thinksound ON1's they have quite a bit of detail missing and the bass/mid-bass seem to just enjoy permeating and overpowering the rest of the spectrum (quite surprised as Grado's are quite bass shy normally!). Whilst I'm not sold, I like what they do with the energy and realism/emotion of the songs. I know that I'm currently comparing MSRP $300 (Thinksounds) to $100 (Grado) so it's not exactly apples to apples.

I'd like to know how much better the 325e's are at detail retrieval and note and instrument separation and whether they will be in the same ballpark as my Thinksouinds performance wise.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,533 of 6,729
Does anyone else get the feeling that the 80e's are a little jumbled with their presentation? Like imaging/soundstage and and instruments sound like they are just there and aren't placed somewhere on the stage in front of you? I don't know what I should be expecting from a $100 headphone but I thought it would have a comparable/better soundstage than my more expensive closed back on ears. Am I expecting too much? Feel like the black sheep here as normally people are gushing over the 80e's and I feel like I've missed the boat
eek.gif
?!

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5,535 of 6,729
  Does anyone else get the feeling that the 80e's are a little jumbled with their presentation? Like imaging/soundstage and and instruments sound like they are just there and aren't placed somewhere on the stage in front of you? I don't know what I should be expecting from a $100 headphone but I thought it would have a comparable/better soundstage than my more expensive closed back on ears. Am I expecting too much? Feel like the black sheep here as normally people are gushing over the 80e's and I feel like I've missed the boat
eek.gif
?!

^ You're expecting too much from a $100 HP.

There's a lot of hype on Head-Fi too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back