Grado e Series
Oct 6, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5,566 of 6,729

It's completely flush. I had two pairs actually. One was slightly recessed so I returned it and the second was completely flush. 

What size is the driver? Is it the same as the new RS1e (IE GS1000 sized) or the same size as the old RS1 / most Grados?

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #5,568 of 6,729

It's the same size as the RS2e and PS500e.  

What are the odds it's a RS1i driver, left over in parts bins? They probably have a bunch of them lying around for repairs. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #5,570 of 6,729

I had the RS2e and now have GH-1. Never had them side by side so I can't compare them now but the GH-1 is slightly more fuller in the mids and has more rounded bass with more extended treble and detail but at the same time it's less shrill and shouty. 

Never mind about the RS2e and GH-1. I think this was an old question that has been already addressed.
I'm just catching up on the tread because of the news of the non protruding RS1e.

As for the new RS1e, this my guess (I had the older RS1e and not the new one), while the new RS1e seems to address the recessed treble problem, it seems the driver is still voiced in a way that might be still problematic ( at least to me). The older RS1e had really forward mids (comparably more than what is normal for Grados). While the mids of the new RS1e might be somewhat diminished because the driver is no longer protruding, from an impression from several post, the RS1e still sounds like its voiced in way that is too mid and upper mid forward (more so than other "e" Grados and GH-1) forcing the listener to turn the volume down at the cost of the bass and treble. Hence, it may still be somewhat unbalanced (by Grado standards) and thus the feeling of mid congestion where the soundstage and sense of instrument placement suffers. Just my speculation though. The GH-1 may still be the better. 

I have both the GH-1 and the RS2e (of course... silly question!).  I even just happen to have them hanging side by side, as they with my Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp serve my listening needs when I am at my PC  (I also have listening stations in the family room, the kitchen, the bedroom, and a portable one I carry around when I am everywhere).

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #5,571 of 6,729
  I had the RS2e and now have GH-1. Never had them side by side so I can't compare them now but the GH-1 is slightly more fuller in the mids and has more rounded bass with more extended treble and detail but at the same time it's less shrill and shouty. 
Never mind about the RS2e and GH-1. I think this was an old question that has been already addressed.
I'm just catching up on the tread because of the news of the non protruding RS1e.
As for the new RS1e, this my guess (I had the older RS1e and not the new one), while the new RS1e seems to address the recessed treble problem, it seems the driver is still voiced in a way that might be still problematic ( at least to me). The older RS1e had really forward mids (comparably more than what is normal for Grados). While the mids of the new RS1e might be somewhat diminished because the driver is no longer protruding, from an impression from several post, the RS1e still sounds like its voiced in way that is too mid and upper mid forward (more so than other "e" Grados and GH-1) forcing the listener to turn the volume down at the cost of the bass and treble. Hence, it may still be somewhat unbalanced (by Grado standards) and thus the feeling of mid congestion where the soundstage and sense of instrument placement suffers. Just my speculation though. The GH-1 may still be the better. 

Excellent description of the GH-1…couldn't agree more and they sound excellent.
As for the RS1e maybe some did here a slight difference in sound being the drivers were set in the air chambers two different ways (perturbing/flush) but either way they weren't very popular. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5,572 of 6,729
  Has anyone had the chance to hear SR80e and the SR325e? I gave my GF the 80e's and I'm thinking about getting the 325e's at the moment.

I'm not 100% sold on the 80e's as when I compare them to my Thinksound ON1's they have quite a bit of detail missing and the bass/mid-bass seem to just enjoy permeating and overpowering the rest of the spectrum (quite surprised as Grado's are quite bass shy normally!). Whilst I'm not sold, I like what they do with the energy and realism/emotion of the songs. I know that I'm currently comparing MSRP $300 (Thinksounds) to $100 (Grado) so it's not exactly apples to apples.

I'd like to know how much better the 325e's are at detail retrieval and note and instrument separation and whether they will be in the same ballpark as my Thinksouinds performance wise.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Ah damn, I have to take back what I said! When I was listening to the 80e's I was at my GF's house and running off of my Thinkpad T440p, which I've subsequently found to be a bad idea. I hadn't realised what an effect a crap dac/amp can have but that night I decided to take the 80e's home and give them a run around with my Meridian Explorer. Everything is much MUCH better!

I've actually found something quite odd when I compare the 80e's with the ON1's. I don't generally listen to my ON1's through my cellphone (LG G2) as it sounds quite boring and flat (something that has been said for the phone's middling sound chip) but these things come alive and sound amazing from the Explorer. The 80e's on the other hand sound amazing through my cellphone/ipod/potato but when I compare the sound from the Explorer I find that there is not a big jump in quality.

Anyone else found that the 80e's don't scale well but can sound awesome with middling source? What has your experience with the Prestige Series and better sources?

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #5,573 of 6,729
   I decided to take the 80e's home and give them a run around with my Meridian Explorer. Everything is much MUCH better!

I have the Meridian Explorer and like it. I have the 225e with it. They can be intoxicating.

Audio for PC games from the computer can stunning. The transparency that the 225e are capable of now and again, mixed with gaming audio effects is mesmerising.

People compare the ME to reasonably high level budget CD players. However the Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 came along and scooped up all the awards. I bought the ME for the smoother listen, because I listen for long times quite often. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #5,574 of 6,729

It's completely flush. I had two pairs actually. One was slightly recessed so I returned it and the second was completely flush. 

I just checked, and my GH-1's drivers are flush too.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #5,576 of 6,729
Hello all,

A lot of people have been recommending me to get the "Grado 325e" headphones.

I'm curious how "Bright" / "Harsh" these headphones are in the highs especially?

I had a pair of Pioneer HRM-7's and they didn't really do it for me.  They were harsh, even at low volumes, but high volumes were ear bleeding.

So I want to know what people think.  I'm thinkina bout trying a pair from "TheCableCo" but wanted to hear impressions...

Here's a thread I made trying to explain what music I listen to, and what I'm looking for in a pair of Head Phones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779971/need-help-finding-a-great-pair-of-headphones-please-details-inside

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #5,577 of 6,729
  Hello all,

A lot of people have been recommending me to get the "Grado 325e" headphones.

I'm curious how "Bright" / "Harsh" these headphones are in the highs especially?

I had a pair of Pioneer HRM-7's and they didn't really do it for me.  They were harsh, even at low volumes, but high volumes were ear bleeding.

So I want to know what people think.  I'm thinkina bout trying a pair from "TheCableCo" but wanted to hear impressions...

Here's a thread I made trying to explain what music I listen to, and what I'm looking for in a pair of Head Phones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779971/need-help-finding-a-great-pair-of-headphones-please-details-inside

The 325e might be worth looking into. I've owned SR60, 80 and 125's. They were all a little too bright for me. The 325 series is a whole different animal! I got my hands on a pair of 325i and they pretty much had the sound signature I was looking for. Then I got the 325e and they took things to another level. With my ears and amps (primarily Violectric V200 and Burson Soloist SL), they are very dynamic, have a very good soundstage and instrument separation, and the bottom end is great as well. Listening to live recordings of Jonas Hellborg, Jeff Sipe and Shawn Lane is quite the experience. Hellborg's bass is well defined, each note clearly audible and never muddy. The drums have tremendous impact. I love the clean and clear impact of snare drums and toms. The guitar is sharp and up front, but never harsh. You can clearly envision each player and their space on stage. I prefer them slightly more with flat pads. The 325 series (especially the e) does everything I want a pair of headphones to do. I had no plan to look any further, but then I got a great deal on the PS500e! Still a toss up as to which I like more, but to be honest, I tend to reach for the 325e first. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #5,578 of 6,729

The 325e might be worth looking into. I've owned SR60, 80 and 125's. They were all a little too bright for me. The 325 series is a whole different animal! I got my hands on a pair of 325i and they pretty much had the sound signature I was looking for. Then I got the 325e and they took things to another level. With my ears and amps (primarily Violectric V200 and Burson Soloist SL), they are very dynamic, have a very good soundstage and instrument separation, and the bottom end is great as well. Listening to live recordings of Jonas Hellborg, Jeff Sipe and Shawn Lane is quite the experience. Hellborg's bass is well defined, each note clearly audible and never muddy. The drums have tremendous impact. I love the clean and clear impact of snare drums and toms. The guitar is sharp and up front, but never harsh. You can clearly envision each player and their space on stage. I prefer them slightly more with flat pads. The 325 series (especially the e) does everything I want a pair of headphones to do. I had no plan to look any further, but then I got a great deal on the PS500e! Still a toss up as to which I like more, but to be honest, I tend to reach for the 325e first. 

Thanks for the awesome review :).  I guess I'll contact "TheCabloCo" and see if I can rent me a pair of goodies :)

Since I'm an audionoobie I don't have any Amps/DACs.  I want looking at the "Aune T1 MK2," which should do the job, but not sure what other people recommend.  IT seems both Tube AMPS and Tube DACS are the way to gooo!!

I will wait to rent until I have the gear to power these babies :).

Also, some people claimed there was a strong odor coming from the unit, and one person claimed it was the pads, otherpeople complained it was plastic or other components...?

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #5,579 of 6,729
Hi everyone,

I just bought these PS500e HPs & I really like them.  The thing is the left end of the headband came out of the plastic thingy that hold's it.  Since there's a hole at the end of the headband piece I figured it must "clamp" on "something" inside the plastic "thingy" but so far I can't find it when I put the end back in.  I don't want to force it and break it.  I've contacted the seller & sent him the same pictures I'm going to post here below & am awaiting his reply.  Has anyone else come across this problem ?  Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back