Grado e Series
Jan 3, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #2,926 of 6,729
Just bought a pair of RS1e, put on the bigger G-Cushion pads as suggested by some, and I'm loving it. I think it sounds fuller with bigger sound stage than the original RS1i which I sold. I think this one will be a keeper to me. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #2,927 of 6,729
  Just bought a pair of RS1e, put on the bigger G-Cushion pads as suggested by some, and I'm loving it. I think it sounds fuller with bigger sound stage than the original RS1i which I sold. I think this one will be a keeper to me. 

Glad to hear you like them. Actually, the RS1e with G-Cush is my favorite cans at this time.
Which G-Cush do you use, Grado or Ear Zonk?

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2,928 of 6,729
Hey guys I need a ruling. Around november I was planning my next two buys due to a trip I was going on in december. I planned on the Grado sr80e in January and the Vmoda m100 in Febuary. But now that its January I have a meh..... effect on the Grado sr80e's. Is it worth it?

The SR80e is absolutely worth it. At its price point one of the best sounding headphones you can buy. And the e-series version is a nice improvement over the old version. But it is an open phone so it is going to leak sound. Just mentioning it as in your signature you list a lot of closed cans.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,930 of 6,729
  Hey guys I need a ruling. Around november I was planning my next two buys due to a trip I was going on in december. I planned on the Grado sr80e in January and the Vmoda m100 in Febuary. But now that its January I have a meh..... effect on the Grado sr80e's. Is it worth it?

Except for the SR125 that I've not auditioned, every Grado from US$300 downwards is worth it. The SR80e is fast and a bit aggressive. I think its sound signature is different enough from your current lineup to make it a worthy addition. If you like something a bit more neutral then try the Alessandro MS1, which is in every way still a true Grado (and thus much different from the cans that you own).

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2,934 of 6,729
I only got the Ear Zonk ones. The original grado ones are a bit over priced.

They bothe sound different also... The zonks are fuller sounding with less soundstage and the grado legit versions are more airy. I own both and see the merits to both. On the ps500 I like the grado version, on the rs1i the zonk is better... The rs1e sounds good with both.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,935 of 6,729
  I’m not too sure if frequency response is useful in revealing the sound signature of a headphone in attributes like imaging , soundstage width/height, dynamics, instrument separation, bright/warm, analytical sound, organic sound etc.  I prefer to listen by ears than by measurement because if the headphone sounds good  to you, measurement is secondary.  I really doubt that there is correlation between measurement and sound performance because what measure good may not sound good to you and vice versa. Whether one like the sound signature of a headphone is subjective rather than objective (  like HD800 with very good measurement but some may not like the sound).

It is inevitable that rs1e is compared to ps500e since many listeners may not want to buy both as they are not inexpensive. US$600 to US$700 for a headphone is not decision that one takes lightly. In the past when ps500 is first introduced, rs1i still hold the edge because ps500 is pretty new then. Since then years gone by with Grado having wider distributorships,  many heard the sound of ps500 and feel how they are worthy competitor to rs1i in time to come. Naturally listeners will then have higher expectation for the new e series. So listeners may no longer compare rs1e to just rs1i but to its nearest siblings as well.  And that is where the issue is. My thought is that Grado has made sr325e and ps500e so good that they surpass the rs1e regardless of sound signature.

So how can rs1e be improved to be in the same standard as ps500e ?   My answer is by taking the best ideas from ps500e. Hence my ideal rs1e is a “ps500e with warmer tonality”.  Frankly this is what I expect of rs1e after listening to ps500e. When I first heard the ps500e, my first thought is how big the sound has become. It is no longer “soft” as in ps500. It has more slam, full-body weight, more clarity,  better instrument separation, more holographic sound and larger soundstage ( quite close to audio technica w5000) that extend beyond the ear cup with absolutely no roll off (no celling, like sky the limit). The sound is really “up close and personal”, and it is mid-centric and vocal-centric , and yet each instrument sound is clearly audible.  So if rs1e can take on these ps500e’s personalities but differentiate itself by having a warmer tonality (due to dedicated wood ear cup) giving a free-floating kind of sound without any roll-off ( or lack of energy whatever), that will be  sublime sound. Not sure if Grado will create rs1e/rs1x with such sound but I will be waiting
happy_face1.gif

I can add some observations of an owner of both PS500 and RS-1i (not the e series).  The only real advantage to the RS-1i is the classic wood looks and lightness.  The PS500 is more neutral for both home listening and recording in my experience.  It is a very revealing set of cans.  I've been very surprised how little press and attention the PS500 has received.  I've demo'ed it for several recording engineers and every single one was impressed.  The limited time I have had with the PS500e suggests there is even more detail and better bass.

I'm thinking about buying the PS500e soon.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,936 of 6,729
I can add some observations of an owner of both PS500 and RS-1i (not the e series).  The only real advantage to the RS-1i is the classic wood looks and lightness.  The PS500 is more neutral for both home listening and recording in my experience.  It is a very revealing set of cans.  I've been very surprised how little press and attention the PS500 has received.  I've demo'ed it for several recording engineers and every single one was impressed.  The limited time I have had with the PS500e suggests there is even more detail and better bass.

Having owned 3 of them (the ps500e was an in home demo) and had them all in the house sat the same time, I mostly agree. I wouldn't call the ps500 neutral, its a fun and detailed enough can... The ps500e though is neutralish and very detailed for what it is. I enjoyed it immensely while I had it.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,937 of 6,729
They bothe sound different also... The zonks are fuller sounding with less soundstage and the grado legit versions are more airy. I own both and see the merits to both. On the ps500 I like the grado version, on the rs1i the zonk is better... The rs1e sounds good with both.

Thanks for the comparison. I had both pads together before when I had the GS1000i, I did prefer the original pads on GS1000i, but not so on RS1i. Actually I didn't like the RS1i with either one but the stock L-Cushion pads. With RS1e, the Zonks work better than the stock L-Cushion for me :). Besides, they are so much more comfortable now. I can foresee that these would be my favorite headphones for a while.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,938 of 6,729

I tested the PS500e and 325e for quite a while in the shop, and I really enjoyed listening to the PS500e, but not so much with the 325e. I still felt the high frequency with 325e was a bit scratching, didn't feel comfortable after just short period of time (the sound, not the fit). But the PS500e sounded really nice, smooth and neutral with very sweet vocals, bass was great too, and highs were never too sharp. I even preferred it over the GS1000e which I also briefly tested there. Pity they didn't have RS1e when I was there, I bought the RS1e elsewhere without testing. So far love them too.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,939 of 6,729
I recently purchased a pair of SR325e headphones that so far have met and/or exceeded my expectations.  One of the great things about this hobby and Grados is the ability to tinker.  Anyhow, I'm thinking of trying some G cushions and was wondering if anyone has experience with both Grado's and Ear Zonk's versions and if so what are your thoughts.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,940 of 6,729
  I recently purchased a pair of SR325e headphones that so far have met and/or exceeded my expectations.  One of the great things about this hobby and Grados is the ability to tinker.  Anyhow, I'm thinking of trying some G cushions and was wondering if anyone has experience with both Grado's and Ear Zonk's versions and if so what are your thoughts.

I prefer Ear Zonk's G-Cush for the SR225e, and SR325e sounds close to the SR225e. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back