Grado e Series
Jan 1, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #2,911 of 6,729
Warning...**Subjective opinions below**

Interesting commentary.
Without a freq response graph of the new rs1e it is very hard to be rational on how the new rs1e actually does sound.

However, it's not until users compare to other superseded models that some validity can be applied to the qualitative experiences.
I have not heard the rs1e but based on the numerous reports here on head-fi going back to June and there are more than a few the proximity of the driver to the ear along with alternate/different L-cush pads suggests that the audio experience signature will be different.
How different that actually is has me on the fence about this particular model.

If anything (and again based on users feedback/auditions posted here on head-fi) the substitute for the rs1i is the new rs2e. However, how one would describe the new rs1e sound signature is up for serious contention and debate.
I will be curious what Grado do in 2015 with the rs1e and whether they will do a subtle Frankenstein revision in-house to it. Time will tell.....

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #2,912 of 6,729

Interesting commentary.
Without a freq response graph of the new rs1e it is very hard to be rational on how the new rs1e actually does sound.

However, it's not until users compare to other superseded models that some validity can be applied to the qualitative experiences.
I have not heard the rs1e but based on the numerous reports here on head-fi going back to June and there are more than a few the proximity of the driver to the ear along with alternate/different L-cush pads suggests that the audio experience signature will be different.

If anything (and again based on users feedback/auditions posted here on head-fi) the substitute for the rs1i is the new rs2e. However, how one would describe the new rs1e sound signature is up for serious contention and debate.
I will be curious what Grado do in 2015 with the rs1e and whether they will do a subtle Frankenstein revision in-house to it. Time will tell.....

In order to get more distance between the new bigger driver and the ear they probably would need to change the wooden housing in some fashion. Very hard to doo that in a subtle way.

Having said that I like the sound of the RS1e. I agree that it is different from the RS1i and can see that some fans of the RS1i would be a little disappointed in the new direction that Grado has taken with this model. For me - and this is purely subjective - the RS1e however is overall an improvement.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,913 of 6,729
In order to get more distance between the new bigger driver and the ear they probably would need to change the wooden housing in some fashion. Very hard to doo that in a subtle way.

Having said that I like the sound of the RS1e. I agree that it is different from the RS1i and can see that some fans of the RS1i would be a little disappointed in the new direction that Grado has taken with this model. For me - and this is purely subjective - the RS1e however is overall an improvement.

Why? Can you elaborate?

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #2,914 of 6,729
Why? Can you elaborate?

The RS1i I had did have a quiet agressive bright treble (which I know is for its fans one of its major qualities). For me however, even after burn-in, it was too bright. Also I have found out that some of my favourite records can turn sibilant with a bright headphone. On the other hand I loved the mids, the details, the energy and the feeling of "being there" that this headphone can give you. As it has been stated that Grado headphones can have variances between production units it may very well be that some RS1i sound brighter than others).

With the RS1e the treble is tamed a little bit (what other head-fi members have called a "roll-off", which in my opinion is too strong a term to use). I acknowledge that this reduces the energy that the headphone gives to the music. However for me subjectively (and I qualified my above post explicidely as subjective) it is overall an improvement and ultimately makes the headphone more enjoyable for me. Also the bass goes a little bit deeper which for me is also a plus.

Finally I fully agree with the statement made various times that the RS2e is closer to the original RS1i than the RS1e.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #2,915 of 6,729
I believe the mentioned "muffled" sound of the RS1e and Mpro-e is very well caused by the protruding drivers touching the ears/flesh, in turns having most of the driver outlet holes being blocked. Before Grado can come out a taller L-crush for the RS1e, owner of RS1e should try to see if they can cut a ring out of card board,  fitting it around the black plastic driver housing, to push the L-crush more outward to make it "taller".

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,916 of 6,729

Why? Can you elaborate?

The RS1i I had did have a quiet agressive bright treble (which I know is for its fans one of its major qualities). For me however, even after burn-in, it was too bright. Also I have found out that some of my favourite records can turn sibilant with a bright headphone. On the other hand I loved the mids, the details, the energy and the feeling of "being there" that this headphone can give you. As it has been stated that Grado headphones can have variances between production units it may very well be that some RS1i sound brighter than others).

With the RS1e the treble is tamed a little bit (what other head-fi members have called a "roll-off", which in my opinion is too strong a term to use). I acknowledge that this reduces the energy that the headphone gives to the music. However for me subjectively (and I qualified my above post explicidely as subjective) it is overall an improvement and ultimately makes the headphone more enjoyable for me. Also the bass goes a little bit deeper which for me is also a plus.

Finally I fully agree with the statement made various times that the RS2e is closer to the original RS1i than the RS1e.

For me...with tubes...The RS1i has the best treble from any Grado that  I have heard from PS and RS....I have never heard the PS500

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #2,918 of 6,729
  I believe the mentioned "muffled" sound of the RS1e and Mpro-e is very well caused by the protruding drivers touching the ears/flesh, in turns having most of the driver outlet holes being blocked. Before Grado can come out a taller L-crush for the RS1e, owner of RS1e should try to see if they can cut a ring out of card board,  fitting it around the black plastic driver housing, to push the L-crush more outward to make it "taller".

The hair tie mod works too.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,919 of 6,729

Interesting commentary.

There are some freq response graphs of the RS1e in InnerFidelity site.   They are horrible based on the measurement.  There is no measurement with G-cush though. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #2,920 of 6,729
There are some freq response graphs of the RS1e in InnerFidelity site.   They are horrible based on the [COLOR=333333]measurement. [/COLOR] There is no [COLOR=333333]measurement with G-cush though. [/COLOR]

Thnx
Looking at these Grados rs1e's shown here there is a clear downward trend after 2khz which is noticeable with the different ear pads.
You then fire up the older original rs1 and its more bubbly up towards 10k.
Imho, not sure how Grado missed this in their testing. Maybe it's a design flaw maybe it's something else but at this stage these cans lack mid - top end.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2,921 of 6,729
Thnx
Looking at these Grados rs1e's shown here there is a clear downward trend after 2khz which is noticeable with the different ear pads.
You then fire up the older original rs1 and its more bubbly up towards 10k.
Imho, not sure how Grado missed this in their testing. Maybe it's a design flaw maybe it's something else but at this stage these cans lack mid - top end.

Wow.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,923 of 6,729
I’m not too sure if frequency response is useful in revealing the sound signature of a headphone in attributes like imaging , soundstage width/height, dynamics, instrument separation, bright/warm, analytical sound, organic sound etc.  I prefer to listen by ears than by measurement because if the headphone sounds good  to you, measurement is secondary.  I really doubt that there is correlation between measurement and sound performance because what measure good may not sound good to you and vice versa. Whether one like the sound signature of a headphone is subjective rather than objective (  like HD800 with very good measurement but some may not like the sound).

It is inevitable that rs1e is compared to ps500e since many listeners may not want to buy both as they are not inexpensive. US$600 to US$700 for a headphone is not decision that one takes lightly. In the past when ps500 is first introduced, rs1i still hold the edge because ps500 is pretty new then. Since then years gone by with Grado having wider distributorships,  many heard the sound of ps500 and feel how they are worthy competitor to rs1i in time to come. Naturally listeners will then have higher expectation for the new e series. So listeners may no longer compare rs1e to just rs1i but to its nearest siblings as well.  And that is where the issue is. My thought is that Grado has made sr325e and ps500e so good that they surpass the rs1e regardless of sound signature.

So how can rs1e be improved to be in the same standard as ps500e ?   My answer is by taking the best ideas from ps500e. Hence my ideal rs1e is a “ps500e with warmer tonality”.  Frankly this is what I expect of rs1e after listening to ps500e. When I first heard the ps500e, my first thought is how big the sound has become. It is no longer “soft” as in ps500. It has more slam, full-body weight, more clarity,  better instrument separation, more holographic sound and larger soundstage ( quite close to audio technica w5000) that extend beyond the ear cup with absolutely no roll off (no celling, like sky the limit). The sound is really “up close and personal”, and it is mid-centric and vocal-centric , and yet each instrument sound is clearly audible.  So if rs1e can take on these ps500e’s personalities but differentiate itself by having a warmer tonality (due to dedicated wood ear cup) giving a free-floating kind of sound without any roll-off ( or lack of energy whatever), that will be  sublime sound. Not sure if Grado will create rs1e/rs1x with such sound but I will be waiting
happy_face1.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #2,924 of 6,729

That is why, I often use words like,  ''slightly'', or, ''a bit'', before using terms like, ''rolled off'', I find that it gives people a better perspective of what I'm saying.

I agree with you, regarding the the effect of the drivers being close to the ears.

That is why, when I compared the PS1000e with my PS1000, I ended up using the old G-cush on the e, to put some distance between my ears and the drivers. This also gave the ''e'', a bigger soundstage, but it also took away a bit of bass extension.

Ans from the pictrues that I saw, it's the same thing withe the L-Cush, so, for those that have an old pair, they could try them with their new e, before they start modifing.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #2,925 of 6,729
Hey guys I need a ruling. Around november I was planning my next two buys due to a trip I was going on in december. I planned on the Grado sr80e in January and the Vmoda m100 in Febuary. But now that its January I have a meh..... effect on the Grado sr80e's. Is it worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back