Grado e Series
Dec 20, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,881 of 6,729
No, no. No acrimony at all. Discourse yes. Discourse is good.

ok, good, just proceeding cautiously here !   
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,883 of 6,729
Having just bought some iems pre xmas, my finger slipped online and I've joined the Grado club as well. Had demoed 325i's 6 months ago but they kept cutting out with the shops quarter inch adapter to my iBasso. Hearing they now had a 3.5mm jack, I listened again and have now bought the 325e. Only had brief listen but appreciate their open sound and naturalness. Just hope they don't get more refined with use, I loved the attacking 325i sound!

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,886 of 6,729
Dec 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,888 of 6,729
  +1 

Grado really don't do themselves any favours do they. And the more times goes on the more they seem to be revealing themselves as arguably the most self-serving, ignorant headphone company of our time.

When you look at the facts what I've just said holds quite a bit of weight.

I LOVE the Grado sound, and I believe I always will, but their QC is pitiful.

For those who are content with their technicolored Grado hybrids - I'm happy for you, sincerely, I am - but for those who are annoyed about not getting what they paid for - you have EVERY right to be annoyed.

First, I applaud you for having the courage to write a +1 post right after mine, because I seem to be part of the VERY small minority that doesn't like the way Grado is conducting their buisness these days.

Ever wonder where those returned merchandises go? Here in Hong Kong we have a local digital camera forum which people always complain the brand new DSLR lens they bought from one or two particular camera stores has dust particles trapped inside. The funny part is those "dusty" lens always seems coming from that one or two particular stores.

I believe it is not always the manufacturer's fault of sub-par QC, but more of the local distributors of the brands who collect all the "returns" and re-direct to the retail market at lower prices instead of returning to the manufacturers.

So that "Grado" salesperson mentioned by stacker45 was possibly buying all those "returned goods" from stores and reselling them.

borrego, you got iy wrong buddy, let me clear it up for you, my GS1000 had a cosmetic issue, so my salesman called Grado's represetative for Québec, Mr. Michel Girard (now retired), and informed him of the situation. Mr Girard brought 2 new pairs of GS1000 for me to chose from. After comparing the 3 pairs, mine turned out to be the one with the least apparent cosmetic issues, so in the end I decided to keep mine, and learned to live with the fact that when you buy Grado headphones some issues are to be expected.

I guess I like the way they sound, more than I dislike the way they sometimes look. 
Why all of the GS1000 open boxed already? Maybe all of them are used/returns? I think it's unfair to call Grado out with your circumstance. I think you should call out that seller. I've bought 4 Grados, only the RS1i is open-boxed already, and I cannot see any imperfections physically nor SQ-wise.

Stacker45, it might be time for you to go to another shop?
biggrin.gif
Peace man..
smily_headphones1.gif

The store I do buisness with is Fillion, a first class, 3rd generation familly owned buisness, just like Grado.

Someone has to have been living Under a rock, not to be aware of Grado's sometimes sketchy build quality. But now they have taken it to a whole new level with those Frankeinstein jobs floating around.

potkettleblack made a comment about Grado being ''self serving'', and ESL-1 disagreed with that comment, well, when a company is assembling headphones with whatever parts that fits they have laying around, instead of keeping them as spare parts for their respective models, I tend to agree with potkettleblack's point of view.

I sincerely hope that Grado will stop with all this nonsense, because it is certainly not indicative of a serious company, enough with the Frankeinsteins already!

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2,890 of 6,729
First, I applaud you for having the courage to write a +1 post right after mine, because I seem to be part of the VERY small minority that doesn't like the way Grado is conducting their buisness these days.

borrego, you got iy wrong buddy, let me clear it up for you, my GS1000 had a cosmetic issue, so my salesman called Grado's represetative for Québec, Mr. Michel Girard (now retired), and informed him of the situation. Mr Girard brought 2 new pairs of GS1000 for me to chose from. After comparing the 3 pairs, mine turned out to be the one with the least apparent cosmetic issues, so in the end I decided to keep mine, and learned to live with the fact that when you buy Grado headphones some issues are to be expected.

I guess I like the way they sound, more than I dislike the way they sometimes look. 

The store I do buisness with is Fillion, a first class, 3rd generation familly owned buisness, just like Grado.

Someone has to have been living Under a rock, not to be aware of Grado's sometimes sketchy build quality. But now they have taken it to a whole new level with those Frankeinstein jobs floating around.

potkettleblack made a comment about Grado being ''self serving'', and ESL-1 disagreed with that comment, well, when a company is assembling headphones with whatever parts that fits they have laying around, instead of keeping them as spare parts for their respective models, I tend to agree with potkettleblack's point of view.

I sincerely hope that Grado will stop with all this nonsense, because it is certainly not indicative of a serious company, enough with the Frankeinsteins already!

Seems to be really a QC issue stacker45. Those woods are really hard to perfect, especially at that size!

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #2,891 of 6,729
QC issue for sure, but how do you defend Grado when they know they have a QC issue and they choose not do anything about it? The first pair of Grados I bought in the early nineties had fuzzy distortion in one channel.  The second pair went dead in a week.  I recently bought the 325e which had an irregular pad to go along with PS500 (dust particle in the paint) and GS1000i (paint chips in the grill) all of them new.  So, why would I give them pass?  I like the sound and to a lesser extent are a domestic (US) product.  Times have changed and there is a lot more competition and people expect more and are less tolerant of poorly made product.  Perhaps, if at the time there were more choices I would have moved on to a different brand.  Only time will tell whether Grado will maintain, shrink or grow with this business choice, though probably cultivating less fans now then before, which is bad for future business.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,892 of 6,729
  QC issue for sure, but how do you defend Grado when they know they have a QC issue and they choose not do anything about it? The first pair of Grados I bought in the early nineties had fuzzy distortion in one channel.  The second pair went dead in a week.  I recently bought the 325e which had an irregular pad to go along with PS500 (dust particle in the paint) and GS1000i (paint chips in the grill) all of them new.  So, why would I give them pass?  I like the sound and to a lesser extent are a domestic (US) product.  Times have changed and there is a lot more competition and people expect more and are less tolerant of poorly made product.  Perhaps, if at the time there were more choices I would have moved on to a different brand.  Only time will tell whether Grado will maintain, shrink or grow with this business choice, though probably cultivating less fans now then before, which is bad for future business.

Just to be clear, for me, quality issues and Frankeisteins are two different things, unfortunately one does not prevent the other.

One of the two pairs of GS1000 that the grado rep had brought to my dealer's for me to choose from had exactly that, paint chips in the grill.

I feel safe because I buy my Grados from a brick and mortar store. I'm willing to bet that those who got Frankeisteins, bought theirs online.

If I'd see a 1/8 connector on my new GS1000e, the money would stay in my poket untill I'd get what I'm paying for.

12 conductors, jumper cable size, terminated with the same size you find on the I-pod free beez IEM's, seriously!

I'm glad you posted this Compassionator, I just hope that Grado's undercover officers will report back all this to headquarters, and change will come of this.

I want to end this on a positive note. A few days ago, I gave the PS1000e a second try, and ever since then, the hamster never got off the wheel, so depending on what type of deal my salesman will give me on boxing day, I might decide to pull the trigger on some PS1000e. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,893 of 6,729
Just to be clear, for me, quality issues and Frankeisteins are two different things, unfortunately one does not prevent the other.

One of the two pairs of GS1000 that the grado rep had brought to my dealer's for me to choose from had exactly that, paint chips in the grill.

I feel safe because I buy my Grados from a brick and mortar store. I'm willing to bet that those who got Frankeisteins, bought theirs online.

If I'd see a 1/8 connector on my new GS1000e, the money would stay in my poket untill I'd get what I'm paying for.

12 conductors, jumper cable size, terminated with the same size you find on the I-pod free beez IEM's, seriously!

I'm glad you posted this Compassionator, I just hope that Grado's undercover officers will report back all this to headquarters, and change will come of this.

I want to end this on a positive note. A few days ago, I gave the PS1000e a second try, and ever since then, the hamster never got off the wheel, so depending on what type of deal my salesman will give me on boxing day, I might decide to pull the trigger on some PS1000e. 

I've had the time to try my SR325is recently on my iPhone 6 using Onkyo HF Player HD, and all I can say is I wish the SR325is has a 1/8 termination! I'm dead serious. The SQ out of the iPhone 6 is INCREDIBLE.

Try this stacker45, if you do, I'm sure you'll at least understand, if not agree, where Grado is coming from as regards the 1/8 termination.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,894 of 6,729

So, what happened with preffering the PS1K's over the (e)?
What differences did you hear this time?

Try this stacker45, if you do, I'm sure you'll at least understand, if not agree, where Grado is coming from as regards the 1/8 termination.

But not with the GS/PS1K's…they should come standard 1/4" termination…where as the SR 60-225 models come with standard 1/8".
Like I said, it wasn't a deal breaker for me in any way, and Grado IMMEDIATELY/GLADLY OFFERED TO CHANGE IT FOR ME…it just makes more sense this way especially with a 12 conductor cable.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,895 of 6,729
I'm back!

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife

Sorry about lowering the tone lads (I can't say it won't happen again) but I felt like it had to be said . And thanks to Stacker for not holding back.

If I don't get chance to say it, I do sincerely wish you all a very merry Christmas - and I'd like to thank all of you for making this website what it is - you've been a great help and have contributed to the newest, and one of the best hobbies I've ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back