Grado e Series
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,866 of 6,729
You got a valid point stacker45. But I'm afraid businesses don't listen to a few. That's just my point as a matter of fact. Sometimes we have to give in to what others, much many others, want.

Stax? Can you plug that into a portable? The PS1000e can be, right?

I think that considering the fact that the competition has never been so fierce, and the choices so plentyful in the headphone industry, Grado is very lucky to have such forgiving cutomers.

Over the years, like many others, I have learned to accept the fact that Grado's isn't has meticulous as other companys, in the way they handle their headphones.

Back in 2006, I bought my first pair of Grados. in the following week, I was proudly showing my GS1000 to a non audiophile friend of mine, when he casually pointed to a 1!2'' scratch on the back of the left cup. ''So, how much did you pay for those anyway?'', I couldn't describe how I felt Inside, but I know that, good, isn't it.

Long story short, my salesman called me when Grado's rep showed up at the store with 2 more pizza boxes Under his arm. We line up all three pairs of GS1000, and my salesman wispered to me, yours are the best looking of the three. One of the ''new'' GS had a few paint chip in the grills, and the other had a scratch similar to mine, exept it was on the engraved part of the cup, while mine were scratch behind the cup.

So after argueing with the rep for a few minutes, during wich time he was justifying the scratch by stating that ''Grados are hand build''. To wich I replyed, ''so is a Rolls-Royce, and I'm pretty sure that they don't have scratches on them when the client takes delivery of his car''.

He then offered to give me a refund, but, since I liked the sound of my GS1000 so much, I decided to try and learn to live with it. 

But what Grado is doing at the moment is beyond that.

I'm a car guy, I have an Acura RSX Type-S, it's withe, with a black leather interior. How pissed do you think I would have been if they had deliver me a Type-S with the regular 155HP engine, instead of the 201HP high compression engine, ''Oh! and we also decided to install a tan leather interior, instead of black, we also decided to go with the 1/8'' connector, oups!, sorry, we installed the 16'' wheel instead of the 17''.

If I go on Grado's website, and decide to order a pair of PS1000e, I expect to recieve EXACTLY what I have chosen, and am paying for. not what Grado, feels like giving me. And if for whatever reason, they are unable to fill my order, I should be informed of the particulars, and I should be offered, either a rebate, or a refund.

I know some of you don't share my point of view, so I guess, we'll just have to repectfully, agree, to disagree.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,867 of 6,729
+1 

Grado really don't do themselves any favours do they. And the more times goes on the more they seem to be revealing themselves as arguably the most self-serving, ignorant headphone company of our time.

When you look at the facts what I've just said holds quite a bit of weight.

I LOVE the Grado sound, and I believe I always will, but their QC is pitiful.

For those who are content with their technicolored Grado hybrids - I'm happy for you, sincerely, I am - but for those who are annoyed about not getting what they paid for - you have EVERY right to be annoyed.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2,868 of 6,729
+1 

Grado really don't do themselves any favours do they. And the more times goes on the more they seem to be revealing themselves as arguably the most self-serving, ignorant headphone company of our time.

When you look at the facts what I've just said holds quite a bit of weight.

I LOVE the Grado sound, and I believe I always will, but their QC is pitiful.

For those who are content with their technicolored Grado hybrids - I'm happy for you, sincerely, I am - but for those who are annoyed about not getting what they paid for - you have EVERY right to be annoyed.

I certainly agree that getting a new headphone that looks new is the expectation and right of every buyer. Recourse if there is damage or dings that should be handled by the authorized seller of the product since he is the one that actually made the profit on your purchase. He is the one who handled them and would know if he used the pair you got as a demonstration piece.

That said, I have owned about a dozen Grados over a period of over 25 years and not a one I had or currently have had any cosmetic issues. Additional to that I was also an authorized dealer selling Grado products since 1978 and never had a customer complain of a less than pristine product. I would guess I sold hundreds of Grado headphones.

I certainly do not understand how the phrase "self serving and ignorant" could ever be attached to Grado. They have been designing and manufacturing in the U.S. some of the best value products, both headphones and phono cartridges for many years. Self serving when they continue to make variations and evolving their product while unlike many of their competitors keeping their pricing virtually unchanged adding to their reputation for value? That does not sound ignorant nor self serving. Whether they are your choice for sound is obviously not part of this equation but they have probably won more awards than any two other headphone manufacturers. :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,869 of 6,729
I certainly agree that getting a new headphone that looks new is the expectation and right of every buyer. Recourse if there is damage or dings that should be handled by the authorized seller of the product since he is the one that actually made the profit on your purchase. He is the one who handled them and would know if he used the pair you got as a demonstration piece.

That said, I have owned about a dozen Grados over a period of over 25 years and not a one I had or currently have had any cosmetic issues. Additional to that I was also an authorized dealer selling Grado products since 1978 and never had a customer complain of a less than pristine product. I would guess I sold hundreds of Grado headphones.

I certainly do not understand how the phrase "self serving and ignorant" could ever be attached to Grado. They have been designing and manufacturing in the U.S. some of the best value products, both headphones and phono cartridges for many years. Self serving when they continue make variations and evolving their product while unlike many of their competitors keeping their pricing virtually unchanged adding to their reputation for value. :)That does not sound ignorant nor self serving. Whether they are your choice for sound is obviously not part of this equation but they have probably won more awards than any two other headphone manufacturers. :)

I think that considering the fact that the competition has never been so fierce, and the choices so plentyful in the headphone industry, Grado is very lucky to have such forgiving cutomers.

Over the years, like many others, I have learned to accept the fact that Grado's isn't has meticulous as other companys, in the way they handle their headphones.

Back in 2006, I bought my first pair of Grados. in the following week, I was proudly showing my GS1000 to a non audiophile friend of mine, when he casually pointed to a 1!2'' scratch on the back of the left cup. ''So, how much did you pay for those anyway?'', I couldn't describe how I felt Inside, but I know that, good, isn't it.

Long story short, my salesman called me when Grado's rep showed up at the store with 2 more pizza boxes Under his arm. We line up all three pairs of GS1000, and my salesman wispered to me, yours are the best looking of the three. One of the ''new'' GS had a few paint chip in the grills, and the other had a scratch similar to mine, exept it was on the engraved part of the cup, while mine were scratch behind the cup.

So after argueing with the rep for a few minutes, during wich time he was justifying the scratch by stating that ''Grados are hand build''. To wich I replyed, ''so is a Rolls-Royce, and I'm pretty sure that they don't have scratches on them when the client takes delivery of his car''.

He then offered to give me a refund, but, since I liked the sound of my GS1000 so much, I decided to try and learn to live with it. 

But what Grado is doing at the moment is beyond that.

I'm a car guy, I have an Acura RSX Type-S, it's withe, with a black leather interior. How pissed do you think I would have been if they had deliver me a Type-S with the regular 155HP engine, instead of the 201HP high compression engine, ''Oh! and we also decided to install a tan leather interior, instead of black, we also decided to go with the 1/8'' connector, oups!, sorry, we installed the 16'' wheel instead of the 17''.

If I go on Grado's website, and decide to order a pair of PS1000e, I expect to recieve EXACTLY what I have chosen, and am paying for. not what Grado, feels like giving me. And if for whatever reason, they are unable to fill my order, I should be informed of the particulars, and I should be offered, either a rebate, or a refund.

I know some of you don't share my point of view, so I guess, we'll just have to repectfully, agree, to disagree.

Why all of the GS1000 open boxed already? Maybe all of them are used/returns? I think it's unfair to call Grado out with your circumstance. I think you should call out that seller. I've bought 4 Grados, only the RS1i is open-boxed already, and I cannot see any imperfections physically nor SQ-wise.

Stacker45, it might be time for you to go to another shop? :D Peace man.. :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,871 of 6,729
Why all of the GS1000 open boxed already? Maybe all of them are used/returns?

Ever wonder where those returned merchandises go? Here in Hong Kong we have a local digital camera forum which people always complain the brand new DSLR lens they bought from one or two particular camera stores has dust particles trapped inside. The funny part is those "dusty" lens always seems coming from that one or two particular stores.

I believe it is not always the manufacturer's fault of sub-par QC, but more of the local distributors of the brands who collect all the "returns" and re-direct to the retail market at lower prices instead of returning to the manufacturers.

So that "Grado" salesperson mentioned by stacker45 was possibly buying all those "returned goods" from stores and reselling them.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,872 of 6,729
PS having spent time comparing the PS1000e to the PS1000 in my opinion the e is the better of two excellent headphones but there we go again with opinions.

I have done a similar comparison (it's on the PS1000 thread) and came to the same conclusion as you. 
smile.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,873 of 6,729
I went through 6 pairs of ps500's before getting a decent pair, and there are countless posts from people suffering quality issues with their Grados, on this forum and many others.

I also work in asset management for a big company in Derbyshire where 30 sr60's were ordered as part of christmas package for employees getting tupe'd over from another company.

7 had issues. Stitching on the headbands coming lose within days, detached drivers,  holes in ear pads. 

I've posted evidence on headfi within the last year showing the problems I had with mine. Theres even people above you saying they received different coloured headbands. lol. 

There's a reason reviewers say things like this -

''The lacquer finish on the PS500 simply screams amateurish. But hey, it’s a Grado and we should know that sub-par finishing has become an unofficial tradition.''

- the last part of that sentence echoing my strongest point; namely, that this type of quality is the norm for Grado.

Is this a compliment? You'll probably try and spin it that way and call them ''original''.

Them not acknowledging this and not improving IS ignorant. Anybody who thinks otherwise is living on a meta-plane. Any complaints people have made they are met with the same response - ''they're handmade!''.

Thanks Grado team!

We all know Grado's have a great sound to value ratio. It's one of the main reasons we buy them, and why they've won awards. But let's not get carried away - *they DOUBLE the price for the UK, and have the audacity to blame it on shipping.

You're entitled to your opinion - but you're gonna have to say it a lot of times for it to be true.

Regards, 

Pot

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #2,877 of 6,729
I am sorry for all of those, who have had problems with their grados in the past. But I think this is something, which happens to a lot of companies. I remember a guy, who had to send his beyerdynamic T1 several times back to get the drivers fixed. With the edition 9 ultrasone had issues with faulmty drivers, too. Both are permium headphone models, too. OC can fail. Grado has the reputation of having a bad QC. This can be but I think this is like detist stories: you hear only the horrible ones. Nobody will say: went to the dentist, everything was fine and smooth and I was out after 10 minutes. Not much of a story.
Myself I own 5 Grados and one Alessandro headphone. All of them are fine and I had no reason to complain about them. So, I am on the other end of the statistic of Grado's QC.
But I don't want to start this discussion again. Hope everybody has a relaxing weekend and enjoys life and listening to music.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #2,879 of 6,729
  Is the coast clear to post here?

has there been discourse and acrimony on this thread? if i missed it, i shall refrain from reviewing 

onward and upward 

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #2,880 of 6,729
has there been discourse and acrimony on this thread? if i missed it, i shall refrain from reviewing 

onward and upward 

No, no. No acrimony at all. Discourse yes. Discourse is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back