Grado e Series
Dec 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #2,851 of 6,729

And Joseph Buddy, last I heard, you didn't plan on keeping your GS1000e, nevertheless, I respect the fact that you were willing to overlook the 1/8 connector. We all have different levels of tolerance, and mine is on the low side.

No, not true, they were already returned, I didn't care for their sound signature compared to any of my other Grados.
I preferred the RS1i/PS1K's far more for my tastes.
I do agree with you 100%…you should get what you are expecting/paying for. Grado did offer too gladly change the cable for me to 1/4" though.
I just pulled the trigger on some T1's tonight after reading impressions/reviews, sounds like I may like them, but of course need to hear them for myself. 
smile.gif

It seems very hard for me to like the sound signature of other HP' I've tried compared to Grado's.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,852 of 6,729
  I bet Grado simply had heaps of i series earcups in stock when they ran out of i series drivers. Rather than waste them they just put the new drivers in them. The customer was probably getting a better deal this way as the actual e series came out more expensive than the existing line (at least here in australia it did anyway).

When you get to a certain price point, we're usually talking about side steps, instead of steps forward, different, instead of better, wich means that some might prefer the old model.

Having compared both, I ended up preferring the old version of the PS1000. but when it comes to the SR80, I prefer the e.

So, it's not a given that everybody will prefer the new model.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,853 of 6,729
  No, not true, they were already returned, I didn't care for their sound signature compared to any of my other Grados.
I do agree with you 100%…you should get what you are expecting/paying for. Grado did offer too gladly change the cable for me to 1/4" though.
I just pulled the trigger on some T1's tonight after reading impressions/reviews, sounds like I may like them, but of course need to hear them for myself. 
smile.gif

It seems very hard for me to like the sound signature of other HP' I've tried compared to Grado's.

Congrats on the T1, I heard them once at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, but I don't remember what they sounded like.

I hope you like them, I'm looking forward to read your impressions of the T1.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #2,854 of 6,729
In my opinion, the best way to make sure not to disapoint your customer is to give him what he wants, and is paying for.

Big brother Grado :rolleyes:

Problem stacker45 is not everybody else wants what you/we want. As I've said, we're most prolly just 1% of market, heck may be even less!

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #2,855 of 6,729

When you get to a certain price point, we're usually talking about side steps, instead of steps forward, different, instead of better, wich means that some might prefer the old model.

Having compared both, I ended up preferring the old version of the PS1000. but when it comes to the SR80, I prefer the e.

So, it's not a given that everybody will prefer the new model.

Well, technically the newer drivers are better but yeh, technically better does not always mean it sounds better.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #2,856 of 6,729
In my opinion, the best way to make sure not to disapoint your customer is to give him what he wants, and is paying for.

Big brother Grado :rolleyes:

Ah yes, opinions, to which we are all entitled to have and to express. I do think given the overall positive response that the e series in general has received and how popular they have proven themselves to be with an overwhelming demand for product I think you would find a very small percentage of those buyers who got an e instead of the i they thought they were getting looking to complain.

Oh, back to opinions, I certainly miss the the point or meaning in this scenario of the "Big brother Grado" statement and in my opinion is offensive, especially for someone who has continued to offer some of the best value headphones over the course of many years and has many awards to prove it.

None of that means you should like any of his products but John Grado is one of the most genuine and well meaning people I know, especially in the audio business.

:cool:

PS having spent time comparing the PS1000e to the PS1000 in my opinion the e is the better of two excellent headphones but there we go again with opinions.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2,857 of 6,729

Congrats on the T1, I heard them once at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, but I don't remember what they sounded like.

I hope you like them, I'm looking forward to read your impressions of the T1.

Thanks! 
Hope I like them also…I'm just trying to hear if can like/own something else as much as I like the Grados, and have something different (semi open). Its nice to compare other HP's to my Grado's and hear what others like about different HP's. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #2,858 of 6,729
smile.gif

very nice joseph, got my fingers crossed here, 
i put my t1/wa3 combo on the b/s/t/ thread the other day, when i got my lcd2f's back from joedoe, and i realize now i now find an excuse to tell my significant other why i need to keep both!
joeD, by the way seemed VERY happy to be making his relationship with his significant other his priority now. nicely done and congrats  joe ! vaya con dios, and see ya when you return ! 

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #2,859 of 6,729

I think we're just Grado fanatics, and prolly just 1% of the global market. 99% wouldn't care about what we're concerned here (including me), and in fact around 80% may even be extremely happy with the red drivers (bec their the "new" ones), tan headband (bec it's different so you look cool, punk...lol) and 1/8 termination (bec they can use it mobile even at the house and a quality adaptor is provided anyway). I think at the current times, market dictates pretty much everything as its a battle for survival out there with so much competition available, and pretty much with equal, if not more quality, products too...which are, btw, in different colors and with 1/8 terminations!

To be honest I like the look of the tan headbands when they match the color of the earcups. also there's a difference between installing a different color headband, and installing different drivers.

One of them affects the sound, and the other doesn't.

At $1900 retail, the PS1000e, are not very far from the Stax 007, I wonder how Stax owners would feel, if the company decided to ship a few 007 with 1/8 connectors.

OUCH!.
eek.gif
      .I see your point  

And Joseph Buddy, last I heard, you didn't plan on keeping your GS1000e, nevertheless, I respect the fact that you were willing to overlook the 1/8 connector. We all have different levels of tolerance, and mine is on the low side.

smile.gif

Congrats on the T1 Joseph....hope you like them...if not.......don't give up...the search can continue  
smile.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,860 of 6,729
To be honest I like the look of the tan headbands when they match the color of the earcups. also there's a difference between installing a different color headband, and installing different drivers.

One of them affects the sound, and the other doesn't.

At $1900 retail, the PS1000e, are not very far from the Stax 007, I wonder how Stax owners would feel, if the company decided to ship a few 007 with 1/8 connectors.

You got a valid point stacker45. But I'm afraid businesses don't listen to a few. That's just my point as a matter of fact. Sometimes we have to give in to what others, much many others, want.

Stax? Can you plug that into a portable? The PS1000e can be, right?

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,861 of 6,729
  OUCH!.
eek.gif
      .I see your point  

Congrats on the T1 Joseph....hope you like them...if not.......don't give up...the search can continue  
smile.gif

Thanks whirlwind.
I'm just checking out some other sound signatures, trying to hear what else is out there, thats all.
I'm sold on Grado's sound…for sure, but it never hurts to try something different. If I don't like the T1's enough to keep them, I'll try some Audeze's next.
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,862 of 6,729
You got a valid point stacker45. But I'm afraid businesses don't listen to a few. That's just my point as a matter of fact. Sometimes we have to give in to what others, much many others, want.

Stax? Can you plug that into a portable? The PS1000e can be, right?

Those 2 and 3 dollar adapters are plenty available,
so any quarter inch can still go into a mini jack.

And, of course, vice-versa.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2,863 of 6,729
I have the Grado 225e now for a week or so, really great phone for rock. especially for the money. the highs are to bright for me though..

I am very sensitive for treble (tinnitus), guess I bought these for the wrong reason (nostalgia).. gave them to my wife, who likes them very much.

I don't listen headphones as much as I used to (maybe 1 or 2 hour a week, instead of the usual 10 or so a day)..The K501 should do for now, paired with the V200 amp which is on it's way
rolleyes.gif

Sold my GS1000 and Grace M902, which I loved for classical piano... So speakers for me..it helps, the ring in my ear is considerable less, so I am not complaining ..

Maybe someday I'll return to the Grado, the PS1000e seems very nice from what I read..

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,864 of 6,729
  I have the Grado 225e now for a week or so, really great phone for rock. especially for the money. the highs are to bright for me though..

I am very sensitive for treble (tinnitus), guess I bought these for the wrong reason (nostalgia).. gave them to my wife, who likes them very much.

I don't listen headphones as much as I used to (maybe 1 or 2 hour a week, instead of the usual 10 or so a day)..The K501 should do for now, paired with the V200 amp which is on it's way
rolleyes.gif

Sold my GS1000 and race M902, which I loved for classical piano... So speakers for me..it helps, the ring in my ear is considerable less, so I am not complaining ..

Maybe someday I'll return to the Grado, the PS1000e seems very nice from what I read..

If you would like to tame the highs and add even more bottom try the EarZonk Leatherette pads . IMO they are much more comfortable than stock and the bass will hit harder completely changed the sound for $20 it would be well worth a try

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,865 of 6,729

rolleyes.gif

Sold my GS1000 and race M902, which I loved for classical piano... So speakers for me..it helps, the ring in my ear is considerable less, so I am not complaining ..

Sounds like TTVJ Flat pads would suite you fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back