Grado e Series
Dec 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,836 of 6,729
Theres been a lot of mixed reaction to the RS1e but after living with it for a few weeks now I must say I am a bit of a fan. I think it was time for Grado to make a slightly different sound signature for the upper models to differentiate them from the lower ones. Hasn't the criticism of Grado always been that there is little model to model variation and that the higher models were overpriced? Well now Grado has made a statement and everyone id still complaining - can't please all the people all the time. I find the new RS1e smooth as the HD650 but snappy as a silver recabled mega amped version of the Senn. at US $699 to get this sound is still a bargain when you factor in the HD650 plus cable plus mega amp will set you back over $1000 and still sound distant - and  I was once a Senn fanboy. I also have very high praise for the PS500e and consider it the pinnacle of the e series if you are looking for a more trad Grado sound with great refinement and clarity. The PS500e is a different beast to the original PS500 with much tighter bass that doesn't bloat like its predecessor. The RS1e is also immune to sibilance like the HD650 so those who hate sibilance will be well pleased!

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,837 of 6,729
  Theres been a lot of mixed reaction to the RS1e but after living with it for a few weeks now I must say I am a bit of a fan. I think it was time for Grado to make a slightly different sound signature for the upper models to differentiate them from the lower ones. Hasn't the criticism of Grado always been that there is little model to model variation and that the higher models were overpriced? Well now Grado has made a statement and everyone id still complaining - can't please all the people all the time. I find the new RS1e smooth as the HD650 but snappy as a silver recabled mega amped version of the Senn. at US $699 to get this sound is still a bargain when you factor in the HD650 plus cable plus mega amp will set you back over $1000 and still sound distant - and  I was once a Senn fanboy. I also have very high praise for the PS500e and consider it the pinnacle of the e series if you are looking for a more trad Grado sound with great refinement and clarity. The PS500e is a different beast to the original PS500 with much tighter bass that doesn't bloat like its predecessor. The RS1e is also immune to sibilance like the HD650 so those who hate sibilance will be well pleased!

If the RS1e is smooth like the HD650....then i would love to at least hear one ....so I could judge for myself.....that is really a big swing from the RS1i.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,838 of 6,729

Too Many Opinions,  the SR225e are too smooth for many, and scratchy for others. 

Now it makes sense to me why Grado has started to make the Frankensteins.

I'm glad to see that the term ''Frankeinstein'' is sticking, I admit, I'm proud of that one. I like it even more than, ''the dark side''.

Speaking of wich, I realise that this may fall in the ''Well Duh!'' category, but I think that if, like me, you're lucky enough to be able to buy your headphones from a brick and mortar Grado dealer, you run a lot less chances to get a Frankeistein pair, than if you order them on line. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,839 of 6,729

Too Many Opinions,  the SR225e are too smooth for many, and scratchy for others. 

Now it makes sense to me why Grado has started to make the Frankensteins.

I'm glad to see that the term ''Frankeinstein'' is sticking, I admit, I'm proud of that one. I like it even more than, ''the dark side''.

Speaking of wich, I realise that this may fall in the ''Well Duh!'' category, but I think that if, like me, you're lucky enough to be able to buy your headphones from a brick and mortar Grado dealer, you run a lot less chances to get a Frankeistein pair, than if you order them on line. 

Enlighten me, please, what in the world is a Grado Frankenstein?

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,840 of 6,729
Enlighten me, please, what in the world is a Grado Frankenstein?

Lately, Grado has been inconsistent. Some hedphones are labeled as i model, but have the new, red drivers.

Some have tan headbands, similar to those of the Bushmills.

GS1000, with a 1/8 connector, instead of 1/4.

They're also seems to be different pads desing running around.

Some headphones have more than one of the above, Joseph recieved a pair of GS10003, with a tan headband, and a 1/8 plug.

So, because Grado is mixing different parts on their headphones, it reminded me of Frankeinstein, who was made using body parts from multiple cadavers.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,841 of 6,729
Sounds like maybe they've been forced to use whatever parts are available to meet the demand for their headphones. Personally i think it might be a good thing, it makes those particular headphones unique which is great for the buyer and also for resell value.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2,842 of 6,729
  Sounds like maybe they've been forced to use whatever parts are available to meet the demand for their headphones. Personally i think it might be a good thing, it makes those particular headphones unique which is great for the buyer and also for resell value.

When I received the GSe's with the Tan headband I thought they looked great, especially against the lighter color of the wooden cups…but then when I realized they were terminated in
1/8" and I had to use an adapter for my (home) headphone amps, I wasn't thrilled, but it wasn't a deal breaker either. After all, there not made to be walking around with outside using portable devices IMO, and I do understand a lot of people use portable DAP/amps in there homes but...

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,843 of 6,729

Lately, Grado has been inconsistent. Some hedphones are labeled as i model, but have the new, red drivers.

I compared a RS1i to RS2i a couple of months ago, and as some other members observe the RS1i was smooth but lack sparkle. I clearly prefer the RS2i. I wonder if the pair I tried out was the new model with red driver or it was merely a run-in issue. I can't help but wonder if Grado was "testing the water" by labeling the first batches of phones with the new, red driver as the "i" model, to observe the market response and change back to the old model without getting much attention if the market response to the new model is less than ideal.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #2,844 of 6,729

Personally, I think that this is totally unacceptable. When I buy something, l want to get what I am paying for, not what Grado feels like giving me.

And as for resale value, I fail to see where having a 1/8 connector on a pair of GS1000e, could add value to these headphones.

If after hearing both the i and the e, someone prefers the i, orders a pair, and recieves a pair of i with the red e drivers, what now?

Headphones have never been more popular, and consumers have never had so much choice, so Grado couldn't have picked a worst time to start clowning around.

And Joseph Buddy, last I heard, you didn't plan on keeping your GS1000e, nevertheless, I respect the fact that you were willing to overlook the 1/8 connector. We all have different levels of tolerance, and mine is on the low side.

There is a video on U-Tubes showing a guy unboxing a pair of Bushmills X, that he won, and the right earcup has a chip missing that's almost the size of a dime. He just shrugged, made a comment regarding shipping, and continued. I'm going to try to poste the link, but I'm computer ''challenged'' so don't get your hopes up too much.

I'm very skeptical by nature, and personally, I think that the earcup was already broken before they were put in the crate. yes, I said, the crate. For those who don't know, the Bushmills X, don't come in a cheap cardboard pizza box, instead, they come in a wooden crate, with the front made of a piece of plexiglass. Now, I'm no expert,but how can the earcup have a big chip missing, and the plexiglass still be intact?. Plus, if they would've been broken during shipping, the broken piece would've still been in the crate.

With that much damage, these headphones couldn't be sold so they ended up giving them away, making whoever gave them away seem like nice guys.

I hope that Grado will get their act together soon, otherwise, it could cost them some customers.

The prosecution rests your honor
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,845 of 6,729
I compared a RS1i to RS2i a couple of months ago, and as some other members observe the RS1i was smooth but lack sparkle. I clearly prefer the RS2i. I wonder if the pair I tried out was the new model with red driver or it was merely a run-in issue. I can't help but wonder if Grado was "testing the water" by labeling the first batches of phones with the new, red driver as the "i" model, to observe the market response and change back to the old model without getting much attention if the market response to the new model is less than ideal.

Grado was not testing the water but had decided that all i labelled models shipping out in the months before the official announcement introducing the e series would actually be e series so that anyone who had recently a Grado would without knowing it actually have the new model. The idea was that those recent buyers before the announcement would not feel that they had just missed getting the latest model. I think it was a great marketing move to make as many customers as possible happy instead of possibly disappointed. :p

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2,846 of 6,729

Anythings possible, imagine the confusion when these Frankeistein hit the used market.
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #2,847 of 6,729
Personally, I think that this is totally unacceptable. When I buy something, l want to get what I am paying for, not what Grado feels like giving me.

And as for resale value, I fail to see where having a 1/8 connector on a pair of GS1000e, could add value to these headphones.

If after hearing both the i and the e, someone prefers the i, orders a pair, and recieves a pair of i with the red e drivers, what now?

Headphones have never been more popular, and consumers have never had so much choice, so Grado couldn't have picked a worst time to start clowning around.

And Joseph Buddy, last I heard, you didn't plan on keeping your GS1000e, nevertheless, I respect the fact that you were willing to overlook the 1/8 connector. We all have different levels of tolerance, and mine is on the low side.

There is a video on U-Tubes showing a guy unboxing a pair of Bushmills X, that he won, and the right earcup has a chip missing that's almost the size of a dime. He just shrugged, made a comment regarding shipping, and continued. I'm going to try to poste the link, but I'm computer ''challenged'' so don't get your hopes up too much.

I'm very skeptical by nature, and personally, I think that the earcup was already broken before they were put in the crate. yes, I said, the crate. For those who don't know, the Bushmills X, don't come in a cheap cardboard pizza box, instead, they come in a wooden crate, with the front made of a piece of plexiglass. Now, I'm no expert,but how can the earcup have a big chip missing, and the plexiglass still be intact?. Plus, if they would've been broken during shipping, the broken piece would've still been in the crate.

With that much damage, these headphones couldn't be sold so they ended up giving them away, making whoever gave them away seem like nice guys.

I hope that Grado will get their act together soon, otherwise, it could cost them some customers.

The prosecution rests your honor:wink:  

I think we're just Grado fanatics, and prolly just 1% of the global market. 99% wouldn't care about what we're concerned here (including me), and in fact around 80% may even be extremely happy with the red drivers (bec their the "new" ones), tan headband (bec it's different so you look cool, punk...lol) and 1/8 termination (bec they can use it mobile even at the house and a quality adaptor is provided anyway). I think at the current times, market dictates pretty much everything as its a battle for survival out there with so much competition available, and pretty much with equal, if not more quality, products too...which are, btw, in different colors and with 1/8 terminations!

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #2,848 of 6,729
Grado was not testing the water but had decided that all i labelled models shipping out in the months before the official announcement introducing the e series would actually be e series so that anyone who had recently a Grado would without knowing it actually have the new model. The idea was that those recent buyers before the announcement would not feel that they had just missed getting the latest model. I think it was a great marketing move to make as many customers as possible happy instead of possibly disappointed.
tongue.gif

In my opinion, the best way to make sure not to disapoint your customer is to give him what he wants, and is paying for.

Big brother Grado
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,849 of 6,729
I bet Grado simply had heaps of i series earcups in stock when they ran out of i series drivers. Rather than waste them they just put the new drivers in them. The customer was probably getting a better deal this way as the actual e series came out more expensive than the existing line (at least here in australia it did anyway).

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #2,850 of 6,729
I think we're just Grado fanatics, and prolly just 1% of the global market. 99% wouldn't care about what we're concerned here (including me), and in fact around 80% may even be extremely happy with the red drivers (bec their the "new" ones), tan headband (bec it's different so you look cool, punk...lol) and 1/8 termination (bec they can use it mobile even at the house and a quality adaptor is provided anyway). I think at the current times, market dictates pretty much everything as its a battle for survival out there with so much competition available, and pretty much with equal, if not more quality, products too...which are, btw, in different colors and with 1/8 terminations!

To be honest I like the look of the tan headbands when they match the color of the earcups. also there's a difference between installing a different color headband, and installing different drivers.

One of them affects the sound, and the other doesn't.

At $1900 retail, the PS1000e, are not very far from the Stax 007, I wonder how Stax owners would feel, if the company decided to ship a few 007 with 1/8 connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back