Grado e Series
Dec 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,821 of 6,729
Tried some new Grados this week. I had a home demo on the RS1e, 225e and 325e. Previously had RS1i and GS1000i. 

225e I found a little 'scratchy' and hard on the ears. Good value, but not for me.

The 325e are very good indeed. More balanced and warmer than previous Grados I had tried, but still with loads of detail. I'm still finding them a little tiring on certain tracks, but I'm impressed overall. 

The RS1e are a bit of a joke to me, I just can't understand how they sound so bad. They sound like speakers with blown tweeters. They are also incredibly uncomfortable having the speaker on your ear. I do wonder whether they're broken, I just don't get how you could go from the excellent RS1i to the new model. Bizarre. 

I'm due to try the PS500e in the next few days, but for now the 325e is possibly the best Grado I have tried to date. It's on par, if not better, than a previous RS1i, and I disliked the GS1000i as it was way too bright and had little in the mids. Haven't heard any of the PS range yet. Whilst the PS1000e are tempting, they're just going to be too big and heavy, and I had the same problem with Audeze. Big, heavy headphones are no fun, no matter how good they sound. 

So, along with my HD800, the 325e (or PS500e if they're better) may be taking residence. 

could it be that the 325e were burned in maybe a little longer? Not sure if you believe in burn in but IMO I found my sr-60es changed over time especially the bass quantity.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #2,823 of 6,729

225e I found a little 'scratchy' and hard on the ears. Good value, but not for me.

I find the SR225e a bit scratchy as well. I bought a Violectric amp V200 (for AKG K501) hope it helps tame the Grado a bit..

Too Many Opinions,  the SR225e are too smooth for many, and scratchy for others. 

Now it makes sense to me why Grado has started to make the Frankensteins.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2,824 of 6,729
What's Grado's reasoning in changing the sound of the RS1i to the current RS1e? Really wondering why they'd change it. Or did they "demote" the RS1i's sound into the RS2e?

I guess they just did it for me 
tongue.gif
 since the RS1e became my favorite headphones at this time. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,825 of 6,729
Tried some new Grados this week. I had a home demo on the RS1e, 225e and 325e. Previously had RS1i and GS1000i. 

》I bought this 225e to add my grado collection. And i agree with you about the sound.

The 325e are very good indeed. More balanced and warmer than previous Grados I had tried, but still with loads of detail. I'm still finding them a little tiring on certain tracks, but I'm impressed overall. 

》I also agree with you on this too :D. I think 325e is very good for the price and suit my taste very alright. But on certain tracks..i also found they can be a bit tiring. Too bad my unit, 325e and ps500e got dents on the surface housing. I returned them for replacement with a new one. I love em both..but still prefer 325e.

The RS1e are a bit of a joke to me, I just can't understand how they sound so bad. They sound like speakers with blown tweeters. They are also incredibly uncomfortable having the speaker on your ear. I do wonder whether they're broken, I just don't get how you could go from the excellent RS1i to the new model. Bizarre. 

》again..200% my impression mirrors to yours. I dont have any idea why they tuned the sound that way (rs1e and mspro-e). "Bizarre" might be the right word! LOL! But i do believe some people might like it. I had it both with me for weeks. I tried so hard to like em. But i just can't. For those who loves Grado purity...i think they gonna hate em. Just a thought.

I'm due to try the PS500e in the next few days, but for now the 325e is possibly the best Grado I have tried to date. It's on par, if not better, than a previous RS1i, and I disliked the GS1000i as it was way too bright and had little in the mids. Haven't heard any of the PS range yet. Whilst the PS1000e are tempting, they're just going to be too big and heavy, and I had the same problem with Audeze. Big, heavy headphones are no fun, no matter how good they sound. 

》 i have both..the big cups..ps1ke and gs1ke..gs1ke are so light. And very comfy on my head. The ps1ke is heavier..but the clamping is softer..and if i didn't move my head much..i feel like ps1ke is more comfy than gs1ke on my head. They are heavy..but nothing like LCD heavy. And to me, they are MUCH more comfy than LCD. For SQ....ps1000e is my favorite. Gs1000e is my 2nd best. And 325e is my 3rd.

So, along with my HD800, the 325e (or PS500e if they're better) may be taking residence. 

》 i hope you will enjoy your next Grado. :)

Good luck. Cheers!

Look at it this way...the PS1000 and Audeze will make your neck stronger!

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,826 of 6,729
Did you feel the 225e brighter and more fatigue than 325e? I'm surprised about that. I though 225 line was warmer than 325 ones. I'm receiving my 225e tomorrow, hope I like them.

actually..the bright-level they are more or less is the same. What makes them different is bcos 225e has more punch..more bass qty/fatter bass..mids a tad laidback compared to 325e..so that 225e's treble sounded a slightly "thinner" compared to 325e. But 225e still very enjoyable to me as well. Infact..i love them with rock genres. :D

but i prefer the more "accurate" 325e.
speaking of accuracy tone..ps1000e is exceptional. Not only that..but also able to create more dimentional room inside my head and the mids is well bodied (for grado level) - the ambience is really good and able to give me such a lovely "in-the-room" feel experience. The gs1000e is similar to ps1000e but a tad lesser "finesse" in that regards.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2,827 of 6,729
Look at it this way...the PS1000 and Audeze will make your neck stronger!

LOL!
Ps10000e not really bad actually. Its weight does not bother me much (but yeah..still heavy. Haha). They are very comfy...but bcos of the clamping is soft..i can not move my head that much..if i move my head spontaneously..the cup will move position. That is what i dont like from ps1000e.

but everyime i listen to it..i got stunned. So i dont move. :D

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,828 of 6,729
actually..the bright-level they are more or less is the same. What makes them different is bcos 225e has more punch..more bass qty/fatter bass..mids a tad laidback compared to 325e..so that 225e's treble sounded a slightly "thinner" compared to 325e. But 225e still very enjoyable to me as well. Infact..i love them with rock genres.
biggrin.gif

but i prefer the more "accurate" 325e.
speaking of accuracy tone..ps1000e is exceptional. Not only that..but also able to create more dimentional room inside my head and the mids is well bodied (for grado level) - the ambience is really good and able to give me such a lovely "in-the-room" feel experience. The gs1000e is similar to ps1000e but a tad lesser "finesse" in that regards.

Do you feel the SR225e has more bass than the SR325e and also sounds more V shape in compared to the SR325e? 

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2,831 of 6,729

The PS500e arrived today, and first impressions are that they're my favourite of the Grados I have, and have owned to date.

I wouldn't say they're streets ahead of the 325e, as on some tracks the 325e have such a delicacy and openness with fine details. However, the 325e seem a little more 'U' shaped in the frequencies, whereas the PS500e seem more balanced. The PS500e are a touch smoother and darker but are still super detailed. Out of the box, they just seem really nice to listen to, and I have tried some bright sounding jazz, and there's no grating going on whereas there would be with the 325e. Saying that, are they worth twice as much as the 325e? No, I don't think so at all. The 325e seem to be the best value to me, but the 500e do have the edge to my ears. So they should! 

My only concern is that that they started out with a bit of a rattling sound on clear low notes and kick drums, like something was damaged. I blew into the driver gently, and the sound seems to have gone away. Anyone had this? Wondering if there was some dust in there or something. I can return them if the problem picks up again. Will keep my ears to the 'phones. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,832 of 6,729
The PS500e arrived today, and first impressions are that they're my favourite of the Grados I have, and have owned to date.

I wouldn't say they're streets ahead of the 325e, as on some tracks the 325e have such a delicacy and openness with fine details. However, the 325e seem a little more 'U' shaped in the frequencies, whereas the PS500e seem more balanced. The PS500e are a touch smoother and darker but are still super detailed. Out of the box, they just seem really nice to listen to, and I have tried some bright sounding jazz, and there's no grating going on whereas there would be with the 325e. Saying that, are they worth twice as much as the 325e? No, I don't think so at all. The 325e seem to be the best value to me, but the 500e do have the edge to my ears. So they should! 

My only concern is that that they started out with a bit of a rattling sound on clear low notes and kick drums, like something was damaged. I blew into the driver gently, and the sound seems to have gone away. Anyone had this? Wondering if there was some dust in there or something. I can return them if the problem picks up again. Will keep my ears to the 'phones. 

As you get some time on them they will really start to come together more. 50 hours minimum but 100 hours or so seems to be the magic moment. Same experience for me with both the original PS500 and now my PS500e. Plugged into my TEAC HA-501 amp with the impedance control set to position 2 or 3 (counting up) depending on the music and sonic quality of the same they sound great and definitely rate as an excellent value.

The Best is yet to come. Enjoy the journey. :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #2,833 of 6,729
Good to see the positive impressions of the Sr325e. I gave my Sr325is phones to my son quite some time ago and while I still have my 225i phones I have been missing the 325's more and more recently. I have been thinking of getting another pair of 325's and it is good to know they didn't mess up the 325 when they went to the 'e' version.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #2,834 of 6,729
  Good to see the positive impressions of the Sr325e. I gave my Sr325is phones to my son quite some time ago and while I still have my 225i phones I have been missing the 325's more and more recently. I have been thinking of getting another pair of 325's and it is good to know they didn't mess up the 325 when they went to the 'e' version.

to my ears, they are more refined, less aggressive without losing detail. i completely agree with joedoe's review of the 325e's, i bought his review pair !

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2,835 of 6,729

Good to hear from you.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back