Grado e Series
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #2,956 of 6,729
  I just pulled trigger buying a MS2e from Alessandro. The MS2e was the headphone I intended buying before I acquired my slightly used SR325e.

Base on the comments I got from muzic4life, the MS2e is a slightly mellower version of the SR325e with smoother voicing across the FR. I like my SR325e very much, especially when it is paired with my  5751 / 832a transformer output amp in the office. However, I find the SR325e sound a bit grainy when paired with my home SS setup and think I can enjoy something smoother. With the MS2e I also don't have to transport my SR325e between home and office.

I nearly decided buying the PS500e, but decided against it because I probably don't like a "dark" Grado. People are saying the SR325e is already 95% of a PS500e so I decided not to spend the additional.

Another attractive point of the MS2e is it is still available with a 1/4" plug from Alessandro. My SR325e also has a 1/4" plug.

I hope I can received the MS2e within 2 weeks and do some comparison.

That is odd because my SR325e has the small plug, not the 1/4" one. I am sure enjoying this E version 325. Grado, at least in this case, really made some major improvements over the "i" version I had before. I am real happy I decided to get the E instead of another i version.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #2,957 of 6,729
That is odd because my SR325e has the small plug, not the 1/4" one. I am sure enjoying this E version 325. Grado, at least in this case, really made some major improvements over the "i" version I had before. I am real happy I decided to get the E instead of another i version.

+1

1/8 termination with a 1/4 adapter
I nearly pulled the trigger on the 325i's but being unable to source at an appropriate price point decided against it and dipped my toes in on the 325e.
Coming from the 80i this to my ear is a significant upgrade. Bigger soundstage, depth and width. Smoother and more refined.
I have had a few comfort issues as with the 80i's so I am looking to source some different pads, perhaps G cushions?

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #2,958 of 6,729

I bought my SR325e from a fellow in Japan. I think it is one of the early "Frankenstein" version using the i series parts and without the "e" button. The outer box label does say SR325e and the serial number written on the box does match that on the headphone.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #2,959 of 6,729
  MS2e is definitely smooth, that's why I like it. 

I hope the MS2e will keep most of the "pneumatic actuated" like bass kick of the SR325e. The bass kick of the SR325e sound like no other headphone I have and it is so addictive.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2,960 of 6,729
One way to be sure is to look at the drivers. The 325e has red drivers. Also that's definitely IS cups. 

Quote:

I bought my SR325e from a fellow in Japan. I think it is one of the early "Frankenstein" version using the i series part and without the "e" button. The outer box label does say SR325e and the serial number written on the box does match that on the headphone.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #2,961 of 6,729
Mine are with red color back drivers, just kind of pale red instead of deep red.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #2,962 of 6,729
+1

I nearly pulled the trigger on the 325i's but being unable to source at an appropriate price point decided against it and dipped my toes in on the 325e.
Coming from the 80i this to my ear is a significant upgrade. Bigger soundstage, depth and width. Smoother and more refined.
I have had a few comfort issues as with the 80i's so I am looking to source some different pads, perhaps G cushions?

Try to audtion the G Cushs if you can. They're expensive and to some they improve the sound, to others (incl. me) they make the lower models sound horrible.

I do have the G Cushs and while they do not make my 325e unbearble (like they did on 325is), the sound IMO is considerably worsened. That's a big no. 

About the comfort issue: try to bend the headband out. All 325 versions are much heavier than the plastic/wooden ones, but after bending the headbands I can put them on for about 2 hours continuously, which is to me the limit for any cans already.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #2,963 of 6,729
  Mine are with red color back drivers, just kind of pale red instead of deep red.

Then they're 325e. But the cups, as I said, are IS. Anw not a bad thing coz the grey cups on the 325e look rather girl-y to me.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,964 of 6,729
Try to audtion the G Cushs if you can. They're expensive and to some they improve the sound, to others (incl. me) they make the lower models sound horrible.

I do have the G Cushs and while they do not make my 325e unbearble (like they did on 325is), the sound IMO is considerably worsened. That's a big no. 

About the comfort issue: try to bend the headband out. All 325 versions are much heavier than the plastic/wooden ones, but after bending the headbands I can put them on for about 2 hours continuously, which is to me the limit for any cans already.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

I can just about tolerate an hour with the stock pads following some tweaking of the headband. Maybe that may need revisiting as the cups still feel fairly snug.

In the meantime I have switched pads to some doughnut, softer foam ones, which whilst providing better comfort for longer listening sessions they have somewhat reduced the soundstage.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #2,965 of 6,729
If one wants to switch to G-Cushions, I think a vent mod is also in order. The G-Cush just extracts so much fine treble that it completely destroys tonal balance. Vent mod could restore the balance...

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #2,966 of 6,729
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

I can just about tolerate an hour with the stock pads following some tweaking of the headband. Maybe that may need revisiting as the cups still feel fairly snug.

In the meantime I have switched pads to some doughnut, softer foam ones, which whilst providing better comfort for longer listening sessions they have somewhat reduced the soundstage.

Well my friend used to bend them so hard when I had his Grados on I felt no clamp force and thus very comfortable. Of course it's not that much as to make the headband too loose (and the cans lose bass impact).

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2,967 of 6,729
Can anyone comment on the sound differences between the RS1i, RS1e, and 325i. I debating between the RS1i, RS1e and PS1000 as my next headphones. I currently own the 325i and not sure if I will keep or sell them after I make the next purchase. I am able to audition the PS1000 and RS1e but the used prices for RS1i are pretty damn good. So I am tempted.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,968 of 6,729
+1

I don't know if you had the chance to listen to the SR80e, but, it too, I think, is a significant improvement over the SR80i, wich were already very good, to begin with.

I think that all  of the e series have deeper bass, and just a little bit less treble extension, and I agree with you on the fact that they have a smoother, more refine sound signature. 

In my opinion the SR325i, aren't the last word, as far as bass extension goes, and they are certainly, THE brightest sounding Grados. So, with this in mind, I think that the SR325 is the model that has benefited the most, from the changes that the e series has brought.

When I get a chance, I want to go to my dealer's to listen to the PS1000e, and while I'm there, just out of curiousity, I going to listen to the SR325e. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #2,969 of 6,729
  Can anyone comment on the sound differences between the RS1i, RS1e, and 325i. I debating between the RS1i, RS1e and PS1000 as my next headphones. I currently own the 325i and not sure if I will keep or sell them after I make the next purchase. I am able to audition the PS1000 and RS1e but the used prices for RS1i are pretty damn good. So I am tempted.

Go with the RS1i.

The RS1e sound like a pair of speakers with a blown tweeter.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,970 of 6,729

Go with the RS1i.

The RS1e sound like a pair of speakers with a blown tweeter.

Ouch. Certainly that can't be true! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back