Grado driver mod?
Mar 27, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #47 of 111
The part I lke about the hair dryer is that it allows you to "reglue" your cups on after. Hold the nozzle of the dryer about 4 inches from the cup at a 45 degree angle for a minute or two and you're set. It doesn't get hot enough to damage anything.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #48 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh. I just used the tapered neck of a spoon or fork to slide around the cup and the glue eventually cracked and it popped apart.

I did the very same
wink.gif
and it was easy..

I didn't soften the glue and stuck the housing back again, the part get together so tightly that no glue is apparently needed..

The mod works:
(I used Blu-Tack) The highs are calmed down, the bass response is a tad better and same for the bass impact. The overall speed of the sound is improved as well..

Anyway, if the higher-end models like RS-1 and GS1000 have this thing, I guess they are put there for some improving results eventually
regular_smile .gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #49 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone with an MS-2/i or SR325/i chime in and tell us whether their drivers have blobs? I'm curious if the blobs are only placed on the wood housed headphones

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the other grados Ive owned...
MS1 = no blob
MS2 = no blob

What are blobs?

Aug 20, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #51 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are blobs?

Small dollops of dampening material Grado places on the back of the drivers before they leave the factory.

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #52 of 111
Would placing some cotton-wool like dampening material in the cavity between the the back of the driver and the grill have any beneficial effects?

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #53 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small dollops of dampening material Grado places on the back of the drivers before they leave the factory.

What are dollops? And why do they want the drivers wet?
confused.gif

j/k

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would placing some cotton-wool like dampening material in the cavity between the the back of the driver and the grill have any beneficial effects?

Tweak that might work is thin layer of Blu-Tak along inside of wood chamber. But I wouldn't dare go in there..

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #54 of 111
Quote:

It would reduce chamber resonance and make it sound more "open", it would increase the definition in the bass while reducing the bass significantly, and reduce the size of the soundstage. It would probably also create a small dip in the mids/upper mids.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #55 of 111
Quote:

I would guess this would reduce the airflow behind the drivers and have a similar effect as to putting your hand over the grills, which of course effects the sound for the worse.

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #56 of 111
This mod works, but for different headphones. IMO the sr80s are the perfect headphone, lots of punch bass, crisp clean highs and good mids.

I did this mod, and it made the sr80s sound a bit bloated and the highs rolled off a bit. The reminded me of the px100s.

So on a headphone that has highs that are too sharp, like sr225, this could be a nice mod.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #57 of 111
I just applied some blobs of blu tac to the back of the drivers on my SR80's and they do seem to be more punchy.
The cups came apart easily using the spoon method, no messing about with hot water or hair dryers.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #58 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by minusthetom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just applied some blobs of blu tac to the back of the drivers on my SR80's and they do seem to be more punchy.
The cups came apart easily using the spoon method, no messing about with hot water or hair dryers.

Yep, just like what I've done. Spoon method is the easiest and foolproof..

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #59 of 111
And how did you put it back? With glue?

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #60 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by minusthetom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The "downside" of the spoon method is that you will leave dents on the rim of the plastic cups when prying the halves apart, if that matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how did you put it back? With glue?

I use a hairdryer to soften the factory hotglue that is still in the cups before reassembly, so no need to reapply new glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back