Grado driver mod?
Jul 18, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #76 of 111
I didn't use blutak on mine. I applied some Silicone! It works about the same..

Tried it with a hot glue gun as well and worked the same. Glue is easier to work with as well.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #77 of 111
I took the backs off my SR-60s and superglued the headphone aparatus to a pair of L-Cush doughnut cushions. With no grill at all, the Grados had absolute minimal resonance. The sounds I heard were the sounds coming directly off the drivers.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #78 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So on the topic of grado mods,

What if you took something along the lines of a SR-60, 80, or maybe even a MS1, made a full aluminum cup for it with no mesh at all (just a hole there) and put some tar or whatever on the back of the driver?

Don't expect that you'll be creating SR-325 or MR2, it's the way which Grado treats the front of the drivers as well which differentiates drivers, as well as matching drivers to tighter tolerances. Also, the way in which the driver interacts with the entire cup material as well as cushions play a factor into the final sound signature.

Bilavideo, how did your SR-60 sound without the cup?

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #79 of 111
I once put the SR-325i cups on my SR-225i and they sounded very similar then.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #80 of 111
I went ahead and did the mod, and like previous posters have said, it seemed to slightly refine the highs and mids, while the making the bass a tiny bit better. While all the changes were subtle, it's well worth the $2 I spent on the blu tack. After putting the putty on the drivers, I used a Sharpie to color it black so it doesn't look bad.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #81 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went ahead and did the mod, and like previous posters have said, it seemed to slightly refine the highs and mids, while the making the bass a tiny bit better. While all the changes were subtle, it's well worth the $2 I spent on the blu tack. After putting the putty on the drivers, I used a Sharpie to color it black so it doesn't look bad.

You too? The first thing I thought after using blu-tack on my -225s was, "Holy Carp! That's a really ugly blue!" And then I reached for the Sharpie.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #82 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You too? The first thing I thought after using blu-tack on my -225s was, "Holy Carp! That's a really ugly blue!" And then I reached for the Sharpie.

biggest-carp-caught-3.jpg

biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #84 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, well, I spend some time on Woot!, so typing carp for crap comes naturally now.

biggrin.gif

Oh I see, haha.
Back on topic; did you notice any changes after putting the blu tack on your 225?

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #85 of 111
Just a word of warning. I wouldn't put peel and seal on my headphones. If that stuff gets too hot it starts melting and dripping, which could be bad. Probably not a problem most of the time, but if you heat the cups later to open them, I could envision peel and seal melting. I would stick with a rubber based dampener like Dynamat Extreme or anything from secondskinaudio.com

I have seen a number of peel and seal installs in cars go horribly wrong... Again, headphones are not the harsh environment you get in a car, but I wouldn't risk it. I might be acting too cautious though....

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #86 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I see, haha.
Back on topic; did you notice any changes after putting the blu tack on your 225?

It seemed to me that it smoothed things out a bit, the bass end more than the high end to me. I also removed the button at the same time, and very shortly after changed the screen to a more open one, so attributing changes to one or the other is difficult at best. I do think it had a positive effect overall.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #88 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeeater69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this damping mod really work.

It does. I'm wearing driver-modded SR225s right now...it reins in the high end & makes them a great deal less fatiguing. Perhaps subtle changes, signature-wise, but the lessening in fatigue makes it seem like night and day.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #89 of 111
If anyone has a couple of Dynamat Extreme scraps they'd be willing to send me I'd gladly pay them for the postage and packaging, in advance.
My SR60's haven't seen the light of day in months. Mostly because I love my Senns so much, but I'd listen to my Grado's some if they were less fatiguing.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #90 of 111
TMK, this mod was originally my idea (see post #2, #14, #27). It is nice to see that people are still interested and benefiting from it. To bad all my Grados already have this mod from the factory.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back