got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i get
Nov 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
so i was thinking about ath-m50's is there a better deal for under 200 or should i go with them

Right now it looks like there are some good deals on the ATH-M50s on eBay.

Also check out the Takstar Pro 80 headphones, $88 on eBay.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 17
If you don't mind open headphones, get the HD558 better.
The HD25 are better suited for critical listening, studio, ...

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 17
Audio Technica M50s are nice all-rounders but their V-shaped sound isn't for everyone: some find it harsh in the highs while others love the somewhat laid back upper mids, some find it bass-heavy while others don't like the bloated and uncontrolled base when unamped... And so on. :rolleyes:
I had some comfort issues when I tested it... These cans have a pretty strong clamping force. :xf_eek:

I would consider the HD 558, too. If you can spend a little more and the weird color scheme doesn't bother you, take a look at the even better HD 598. :wink:

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 17
At around $200, assuming you're in the US and have Amazon, I would walk right past the M50. From the CAL you won't notice an "upgrade" - just a less comfortable and worse-imaging side-grade. :xf_eek:

I would suggest either the Grado SR-225i or the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (the HFI-2400 are around $185 right now, they can go as high as $300 (MSRP is $329 and not enforced) - use the Camel and figure out if you should buy them a month early or not). Much better imaging/staging, more natural tonality, more comfortable, etc and both are still easily driven and well built like the M50. I would take either of these over the Sennheiser, personally, but the Sennheiser aren't bad headphones (they're just really...really...boring). You should also consider the AKG K701 (or whatever this week's version is named), which can sometimes be had for around $230-$250, and are a very (VERY) good headphone, and would absolutely be an upgrade from the CAL! (or the M50, or whatever) - less bass though. I'd put the Ultrasone and Grado on the same level, just not as well-rounded (the Grado have better tonality but worse staging, the Ultrasone the inverse, basically).

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 17
Ultrasone HFI-780 or HFI-2400 are very engaging headphones that are somewhat balanced as well, and fit your budget nicely.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 17
Heya,

Do not waste coin on the M50, since you already have the CAL!. Side-grade. At $200 you can get headphones leagues above the toy M50.

Ultrasone HFI 2400 ($189 new, shipped) Look up reviews; excellent headphone, great build, detachable cord, great sound stage, it's a very warm bassy can and is not overly bright.
Sony MA900 ($192 new, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, huge sound stage, neutralish with some warmth.
AudioTechnica A900X ($207 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; amazing headphone, as close to a D5000 sound that I've ever found at $200 mark, very warm, excellent vocals.
AKG Q701 ($197 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, big sound stage, very neutral with some added warmth.
Beyer DT990 PRO ($188 new, shipped) Look up reviews; good sound stage, bright, tons of bass, very comfortable and very durable.

Very best,

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 17
This was my price point as well-- ended up getting the DT-990 for $150 from Amazon warehouse, so I have $50 left for an amp of some sort if what I have on hand doesn't drive them adequately. 

One thing I realized listening to my ATH M-30 yesterday at work is how much ambient noise they're actually blocking out (mostly stuff coming in from the street during high traffic times).  So I'm hoping that the open design of the 990 doesn't cause issues-- if it does, they'll be going back and I'll be looking at the A900 and maybe upping my price range a bit to consider stuff like the k550, m-100, and the forthcoming Tiesto-branded cans from AKG.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 17
Nevermind -- didn't see you already bought something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back