Good headphones for a person who wears glasses, under $50.
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

moouers

Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a pair of headphones for my sister when I visit her in a few weeks. I recently learned that the only method available to her to listen to music is through her laptop speakers. She absolutely loves music (flute performance major), so I know she'd love something with higher quality.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on this, however, so I'm looking for headphones under $50. The two most important things to consider: she wears glasses, and the sound quality has to be decent for the price. I don't wear glasses and my headphones are quite a bit more expensive (meaning the only headphones I've researched were higher priced items), so I'm totally out of the loop in both of those areas.

Can you folks suggest some good cans under $50 that are still comfortable for a person who wears glasses? In ear, over the ear, on the ear...doesn't matter. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 8
I've found all the over ear Sennheisers are comfortable with glasses on, mostly because they have a fairly loose clamp. Pretty much anything with lowish clamping force and cushy pad will work with glasses(depending on how large the frames are, most on and over ears don't play well with frames as thick as Oakleys for instance.

In ears that don't hook over the ear work well with glasses as well. I'll let other people post recommendations though, I don't know much about the sub $50 market.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Tangster, she has pretty thin frames, but I don't know the brand.

With my current line-up of Sennheisers (650/280), my glasses-wearing fiancee hasn't complained about them being uncomfortable. She has complained about the lack of a seal with the 280 model, however. I wonder if the lower priced models will have cushions as plush as those two models.

I noticed the ATH-M30 seems to have a pretty thick cushion, but I wonder if they are plush enough and can provide a good enough seal for someone who wears glasses.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 8
The M30 is a decent-sounding headphone, I know a bassist who thought they were excellent for some of his studio work (recording, mixing). He's also tried the likes of Sennheiser's HD 25-1 and the 650 before, so it's not like he's easily impressed.

2 caveats about the M30:
- It's closed. A few of my other musician friends typically complain about the weird resonance that occurs in closed headphones; if your sister doesn't need closed, maybe there's an open headphone you could get for $50?
- The cord is very long (about 3m / 10 ft). If she is using it on the go this could be an issue.

Here's some alternatives I've gleaned from InnerFidelity's top pics:
Creative Aurvana Live!
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate
Koss PortaPro and KSC 75.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-open

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Yamaha RH5MA is another option. Good quality/price ratio. Though, the ear pads on mine are already falling apart after a year and a half of use. I wear glasses too, and I wear these 'phones for the majority of the day. Really comfy.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you for the suggestions, folks; I appreciate it.

I may be buying a pair of Superlux 681 'phones off my brother in law for about $15... he wears glasses as well and says they're comfortable. I listened to them and the sound they produce is definitely acceptable for the price!

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
The M30 is a decent-sounding headphone, I know a bassist who thought they were excellent for some of his studio work (recording, mixing). He's also tried the likes of Sennheiser's HD 25-1 and the 650 before, so it's not like he's easily impressed.

2 caveats about the M30:
- It's closed. A few of my other musician friends typically complain about the weird resonance that occurs in closed headphones; if your sister doesn't need closed, maybe there's an open headphone you could get for $50?
- The cord is very long (about 3m / 10 ft). If she is using it on the go this could be an issue.

Here's some alternatives I've gleaned from InnerFidelity's top pics:
Creative Aurvana Live!
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate
Koss PortaPro and KSC 75.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-open

I have glasses and I found the Portapros uncomfortable. I'm a girl too. It presses on your ears too much if your planning to use them for more than 30 minutes to an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back