Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #60,676 of 62,380
I wonder if those who think that wired is miles better than BT have ever performed a precisely volume-matched A/B comparison? No, I'm not talking about blind testing, since that would be hard to do with wireless vs. wired. Just talking about a comparison at the exact same volume level. Because we all know that "louder" usually sounds subjectively "better", and of course you can drive wired IEMs louder with a dedicated amp than most TWS.

As for the objective side of things, I've measured both good TWS and expensive wired IEMs and seen no significant quality difference in frequency response and distortion.

If anything, I believe that standalone MEMS speakers have the potential to surpass everything we currently have in either TWS or wired form. And MEMS are easier to implement in TWS, because as wired IEMs they either need to be USB connected or driven from a dedicated "MEMS-ready" amp like the iDSD Diablo-X.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #60,678 of 62,380
While I agree at the moment TWS is not quite up to wired I think that is because of driver implementation of TWS. So far, sorry I don't keep up enough, I have yet to seen ESTs implemented in TWS and at the moment the ESTs are champion's of treble. Does anybody here own the Soundcore Liberty Pro 3 (they have LDAC)?????????? On Amazon they are £69.99 and they are better than most TWS by far.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #60,679 of 62,380
Chasing dragons is definitely fun. I've been down the road with thousands of dollars worth of IEMs but always come back to the TWS. They fit my lifestyle. Tried all the adapters too. Still, back to TWS. Most of us know IEMs DO sound stellar, but nothing will compare to the portability and convenience of a TWS. I truly hope you're right about the Triumph. I'll refresh the page every hour starting late March and report back.

Like Pixel says, controlling your thing in your pocket by feel is great. I've been feeling mine for years and completely agree.

For me, my listening order is:

OWS /TWS/WIRED

OWS let's me stay connected with the world effortlessly.

I use TWS when I don't want to be connected but yet still require mobility.

Wired, when I want to appreciate the the absolute nuances that music can provide.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #60,681 of 62,380
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #60,682 of 62,380
No…. That’s not the point. You probably spend more on your TWS than my entire collection.

The whole point of the thread is to discover new stuff that you might like the sound of…especially since TWS options aren’t as common on this side of the world. Why waste time arguing over TWS vs wired? I was just pointing out how ridiculous it was.
@erockg WARNING, this post is long-winded just for you and may not be good for your health. Please stop reading here (just joking btw)

Perhaps the thread has evolved but it is still "Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?"

@clerkpalmer seems to think we are there or are close enough and will be there soon and @PixelSquish clearly thinks we are not there yet. Both are opinions. Hopefully we respect each other's opinions without flooding this thread with unnecessary arguing and name calling. As others have noted, this does seem like it is spiraling into one of those arguments just for arguments sake so I hope we can move on.

For me, I can hear both sides. Still loving my AZ80s, which I use a lot these days but continue to also use my Px7 S2 and Shure SE846 Gen 2 + Qudelix 5K when out and about and like the comfort and call quality of my Elite 10s...in my opinion, I think there is tremendous value (to me) in the convenience and features TWS offers but, personally, it just depends on the weather, my mood or my plans for the day (sometimes I need to travel light, in which case it is my Elite 10s and/or AZ80s).

At home, I use a mix of Px8/Aonic 50, my Aeon 2 Noire/RME ADI-2, or, my speakers (love my new NAD M10 v2). I also use my SE846 Gen 1+TW2 or TWS when outside (e.g. grilling some steaks, cleaning the patio furniture or holding a crying baby that refuses to sleep). Sometimes I will even still pop my old MW07Go into my ears just for the heck of it and still find them enjoyable.

Do I think we are there yet? I don't think I really care because I like both wired AND wireless, I like my gear (and buying gear) and I think TWS is an awesome piece of tech that I could not have imagined possible even 15-20 years ago (think my IEMs back then were the Shure SE530 with that huge PTH module for ambient).

Everyone has different opinions, preferences, priorities, incomes, use cases etc. Everyone's personal situations are very different and we each have different views as to what we find valuable. I find a lot of value in the opinions people post here (and many are generally willing to go out of their way to help) when it comes to TWS so hopefully we can get back to that. If not, how about private messages?

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #60,683 of 62,380
@erockg WARNING, this post is long-winded just for you and may not be good for your health. Please stop reading here (just joking btw)

Perhaps the thread has evolved but it is still "Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?"

@clerkpalmer seems to think we are there or are close enough and will be there soon and @PixelSquish clearly thinks we are not there yet. Both are opinions. Hopefully we respect each other's opinions without flooding this thread with unnecessary arguing and name calling. As others have noted, this does seem like it is spiraling into one of those arguments just for arguments sake so I hope we can move on.

For me, I can hear both sides. Still loving my AZ80s, which I use a lot these days but continue to also use my Px7 S2 and Shure SE846 Gen 2 + Qudelix 5K when out and about and like the comfort and call quality of my Elite 10s...in my opinion, I think there is tremendous value (to me) in the convenience and features TWS offers but, personally, it just depends on the weather, my mood or my plans for the day (sometimes I need to travel light, in which case it is my Elite 10s and/or AZ80s).

At home, I use a mix of Px8/Aonic 50, my Aeon 2 Noire/RME ADI-2, or, my speakers (love my new NAD M10 v2). I also use my SE846 Gen 1+TW2 or TWS when outside (e.g. grilling some steaks, cleaning the patio furniture or holding a crying baby that refuses to sleep). Sometimes I will even still pop my old MW07Go into my ears just for the heck of it and still find them enjoyable.

Do I think we are there yet? I don't think I really care because I like both wired AND wireless, I like my gear (and buying gear) and I think TWS is an awesome piece of tech that I could not have imagined possible even 15-20 years ago (think my IEMs back then were the Shure SE530 with that huge PTH module for ambient).

Everyone has different opinions, preferences, priorities, incomes, use cases etc. Everyone's personal situations are very different and we each have different views as to what we find valuable. I find a lot of value in the opinions people post here (and many are generally willing to go out of their way to help) when it comes to TWS so hopefully we can get back to that. If not, how about private messages?

I think you oversimplified things here quite a bit. You are putting me in a sort of anti-TWS position, which I have never been. That user is the one who has flung those words out about me, but they are all nonsense. I've always maintained your exact position, I like both wired and wireless. I've been explaining it quite well so far so not sure what was missed. I'm not on a different side than that, which your post implies. That guy is easily triggered in these conversations. Not my issue. But thanks for trying to both sides it when I already agreed with most of what you wrote and have said as much. Multiple times.

As far as opinions go, it is not an opinion that in regards to SQ, TWS are not there yet by a noticeable bit, but I've always said they have other advantages, and I've also said that I think they will get there down the road as well. It's a fact that you can achieve much higher levels of SQ wired currently. That's ok to admit. Obviously there are price to performance factors, which I also got into - price points matter. Anyway, this has all been gone over already, it seems some people are getting it and others aren't.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #60,684 of 62,380

You know... I read everything you wrote! And you're right - all the above. Opinions are like ass%#@!. That's pretty much how it all started. One worded his diatribe in a way that told someone they're wrong. Everyone is in all of this for a thrill one way or another. I'll keep trying, buying, selling, upgrading. It's my vice.

BTW, I could go for that bbq steak now.

My goto buds for a few days now are these Freeclip buds. I can walk my son to school while he's on a rant about what transformers he wants next. I rock out while chiming in with an okay, or wow. Everyone's happy.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #60,685 of 62,380
"Do I think we are there yet? I don't think I really care because I like both wired AND wireless...."

I gotch'ya covered

LiveMessage_2018-07-09-18-13-26.gif

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #60,686 of 62,380
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #60,687 of 62,380
You know... I read everything you wrote! And you're right - all the above. Opinions are like ass%#@!. That's pretty much how it all started. One worded his diatribe in a way that told someone they're wrong. Everyone is in all of this for a thrill one way or another. I'll keep trying, buying, selling, upgrading. It's my vice.

BTW, I could go for that bbq steak now.

My goto buds for a few days now are these Freeclip buds. I can walk my son to school while he's on a rant about what transformers he wants next. I rock out while chiming in with an okay, or wow. Everyone's happy.
I do the same but with wife. God forbid if I am not "present" 🙃

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #60,688 of 62,380
I do the same but with wife. God forbid if I am not "present" 🙃
Seriously, man. I always get the "Why do you have those things in your ears -- ?"

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back