Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #60,646 of 62,609
The wired only adherents will never admit tws could even reach 50% of the sound.

Who is a wired only adherent? I mean that's a weird thing to say when I've seen none of that in this thread.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #60,647 of 62,609
Alright @darveniza these Freeclip buds are excellent. Can't stop using them too. Much slimmer. There's just no reason Bose couldn't include auto-pause and wireless charging. But why can't the Freeclip have volume controls?! No one has gawked at my ears yet. They prob just think I'm into extra large piercings. Thinking the soundstage is better on the Bose, but everything else in the Freeclip buds is better. Ugh.
I got "acupressure pads" or some crap like that when I wore mine yesterday, that's what one of my colleagues thought. She was kinda blown away by what they were though.

I actually love mine so far, they're the first time I'm really feeling like I can have a conversation and listen to music without any issues.
Was thinking of getting the Bose first but thought the Freeclip seemed like the better deal for many different reasons, and I don't know if I might get the Bose down the line, but I don't think so.

The one thing that is very weird about the Huawei Freeclip though is at least on my phone, there's ONE or maybe two volume "notches" where they sound great at, the sound quality shifts a lot when you go lower or higher. I mean okay, the sound isn't BAD, but on my OnePlus Open you have 16 volume levels (or 17 if you count 0% volume) and on 70-75% volume they sound great (so 11-12 notches up), below that they get a lot warmer and bassier, and if you go above 75 they start sounding really "hollow" because the bass sort of just gets reduced drastically.

Anyway, for people who like open earbuds and aren't afraid of being seen as a quirky earring-wearing/ear-acupressure tool, they are a no-brainer, and seem to be worth it over the Bose.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #60,648 of 62,609
If the Triumph is basically a wireless XM1, they are going to break this forum. Mark my words and come back and see in late March. For those waiting for some real innovation, it's here.
The more interesting development is xMEMS. I don’t think so in this generation but the next generation or so things will really take off. TWS is really limited by battery so it’s the perfect medium for xMEMS.

The wired only adherents will never admit tws could even reach 50% of the sound.
It won’t. Then again my wired stuff is pretty high end. No TWS delivers the slam of my Odyssey or staging of my i4.

Save for a couple TWS out there (Prestige and Svanarr), nothing has really moved the needle, and their sound signatures are pretty forgettable. I’ve heard AirPods Pro, B&O EX, AK UW100+MK2, XM4 and XM5. Nothing has really surprised me like wired sets do but to be fair my stuff is pretty high end. I’ll stick with AirPods for now, mostly for convenience and compatibility with my iPhone. I’ve tried hundreds of dollars in TWS and honestly they all have the same Hartmann curve tune. Kinda boring.

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #60,649 of 62,609
I own many of both wired and TWS and I recall an interview years ago by Paul Barton (PSB & NAD) who said that basically any speaker/transducer can be tuned perfectly, and only the quality of the materials used that will affect it's overall audio quality.

So, will TWS' ever be as good as wired iems? With better codecs and better drivers, I think the answer is yes. It's more a case of when, not if.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #60,650 of 62,609
I agree with this. The Svanar are another example of this. They have ANC but it’s completely unnecessary and I don’t even turn it on.
Agreed... I still feel these are the most audiophile-tuning TWS experience.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #60,651 of 62,609
As expected, firmware update for the mtw4 today. Added aptX lossless. Phone call and ui improvements. Bug fixes.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #60,653 of 62,609
Nothing has really surprised me like wired sets do but to be fair my stuff is pretty high end.
Right. It’s not fair comparing $300 stuff to high end stuff. TWS has nothing to do with it. How many times are you going to tell us you have high end stuff and then say a $200 apple product is boring? Talk about apples to oranges.
I own many of both wired and TWS and I recall an interview years ago by Paul Barton (PSB & NAD) who said that basically any speaker/transducer can be tuned perfectly, and only the quality of the materials used that will affect it's overall audio quality.

So, will TWS' ever be as good as wired iems? With better codecs and better drivers, I think the answer is yes. It's more a case of when, not if.
It’s already here. The wired fans just won’t admit it. The difference is incremental and a solid argument can be made that the benefits of wireless outweigh the marginal improvements to sq.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #60,654 of 62,609
Right. It’s not fair comparing $300 stuff to high end stuff. TWS has nothing to do with it. How many times are you going to tell us you have high end stuff and then say a $200 apple product is boring? Talk about apples to oranges.

It’s already here. The wired fans just won’t admit it. The difference is incremental and a solid argument can be made that the benefits of wireless outweigh the marginal improvements to sq.
The guy who doesn't even listen to any wired iems is now going to say the sound quality changes are only incremental.

As a fan of TWS myself, what you said there is simply not true.

And I'm not saying everyone with tws should run and get a wired IeM if they haven't. But for the folk spending tons of money on TWS like you, who doesn't even know what they're missing In regards to sound quality, I strongly think it's smarter to dabble in both worlds, Rather than spend tons of money just in one.

I also do agree it is inevitable that tws will get a lot closer as the technology and brands evolve. And I don't think it's fair to compare multi kilobuck IEM to tws price points.

But for people that spend tons of money for tws dragon chasing. You'd be better off buying fewer tws and also adding in an item setup in the wired realm in the 1k range

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #60,655 of 62,609
I was under the impression that the Aviot TE-ZX1 is already available in the Japanese market and that the Indiegogo campaign was simply a way to get it cheaper for the western market, is that inaccurate? I even saw the headphones available on ebay from some reseller.

Their product updates on the indiegogo page give a completely different picture, it's as if they are made now for the first time. I am a bit confused.

Is the product from this link different than the one from this one in any way?

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #60,656 of 62,609
The guy who doesn't even listen to any wired iems is now going to say the sound quality changes are only incremental.

As a fan of TWS myself, what you said there is simply not true.

And I'm not saying everyone with tws should run and get a wired IeM if they haven't. But for the folk spending tons of money on TWS like you, who doesn't even know what they're missing In regards to sound quality, I strongly think it's smarter to dabble in both worlds, Rather than spend tons of money just in one.

I also do agree it is inevitable that tws will get a lot closer as the technology and brands evolve.
Dude please don’t tell me what I do and don’t do. And I don’t need you telling me how to spend my money. I’ve listened to plenty of wired iems over the years. I gave them up for the very reason I just stated. The benefits aren’t worth the marginal sq improvements. Actually a better way to put it is that TWS as a product is frankly superior than wired for a variety of reasons.

As wireless products get better and better this entire industry that is founded on overpriced cables and gear better get religion fast or they will be extinct. It’s blockbuster video all over again.

I’d love to put your golden ears to a blind test someday. I consider myself lucky that my hearing must suck so I don’t need to buy “high end” stuff to be happy. Those boring harman tuned products sound great to me!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #60,657 of 62,609
Dude please don’t tell me what I do and don’t do. And I don’t need you telling me how to spend my money. I’ve listened to plenty of wired iems over the years. I gave them up for the very reason I just stated. The benefits aren’t worth the marginal sq improvements. Actually a better way to put it is that TWS as a product is frankly superior than wired for a variety of reasons.

As wireless products get better and better this entire industry that is founded on overpriced cables and gear better get religion fast or they will be extinct. It’s blockbuster video all over again.

I’d love to put your golden ears to a blind test someday. I consider myself lucky that my hearing must so I don’t need to buy “high end” stuff to be happy. Those boring harman tuned products sound great to me!
Okay then if you have heard good wired IEMs and you think it's just an incremental upgrade then apparently it's your ears.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #60,658 of 62,609
I was under the impression that the Aviot TE-ZX1 is already available in the Japanese market and that the Indiegogo campaign was simply a way to get it cheaper for the western market, is that inaccurate? I even saw the headphones available on ebay from some reseller.

Their product updates on the indiegogo page give a completely different picture, it's as if they are made now for the first time. I am a bit confused.

Is the product from this link different than the one from this one in any way?

Very interesting......Hybrid....DD, Planar, BA. Seems it is about £260. Looks a good-un 😃😊😄

£196 on Indiegogo similar price to the ISN Neo 3, with similar driver makeup. If the TE-ZX1 sounds as good, I have the ISN Neo 3, it will be a big TWS advance.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #60,660 of 62,609
Or you’re full of sh!t. One or the other. Or maybe both.

I'm starting to think you have no idea what you're talking about most of the time. Just never forget, a product must be revolutionary to be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back