Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 29, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #60,617 of 63,117
Chasing dragons is definitely fun. I've been down the road with thousands of dollars worth of IEMs but always come back to the TWS. They fit my lifestyle. Tried all the adapters too. Still, back to TWS. Most of us know IEMs DO sound stellar, but nothing will compare to the portability and convenience of a TWS. I truly hope you're right about the Triumph. I'll refresh the page every hour starting late March and report back.

Like Pixel says, controlling your thing in your pocket by feel is great. I've been feeling mine for years and completely agree.
If the Triumph is basically a wireless XM1, they are going to break this forum. Mark my words and come back and see in late March. For those waiting for some real innovation, it's here.

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #60,618 of 63,117
Been wearing these the last few days, and since there isn’t any NC onboard, they can sound very good. I had to bend the hooks to get the fit I needed, so that’s kind of a pain, because then they don’t fit an easily in the case, but do able.. At $249 a tough sale given the competition, but a bargain at $149..
IMG_2017.png

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #60,620 of 63,117
Been wearing these the last few days, and since there isn’t any NC onboard, they can sound very good. I had to bend the hooks to get the fit I needed, so that’s kind of a pain, because then they don’t fit an easily in the case, but do able.. At $249 a tough sale given the competition, but a bargain at $149..
IMG_2017.png
Oldie but a goodie.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #60,621 of 63,117
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #60,623 of 63,117
Pretty sure the XM1s qualify unless you mean something that does not have a dedicated USB amp in the cable. I'm not sure I have the energy to go down the rabbit hole of wired IEMs/DAC/AMP etc. These Nobles are designed for use with phones and is a good middle ground for me. I do not have a golden ear but I will say that the Fokus Prestige hang with these XM1s in terms of SQ. Where the XM1s slay them is in the fit (at least for me). Different tuning characteristics but I'm not sure I'd say one is better than the other. Just different. Besides, chasing dragons is fun. Just like in GOT.
The real dragons for sound quality are wired though, that's my point. Sticking to just TWS, you are just chasing baby dragons for SQ. Great for out and about, but nothing you should choose to use at home really. I don't think I've ever chosen a TWS to use at home ever. Not the Mystique, not any brand or model. Not when you know what better sounds like.

That's all I'm saying. It's kind of hard to know what makes things sound great if you haven't heard the stuff that is actually great. By no means saying you have to get 5K wired IEM's to do so, but you should be fiddling around the 1K range for wired instead of buying tons of TWS. IF sound quality is a big part of your search that is.

Like I said there are devices out now that let you enjoy wired IEM's far better ergonomically than having them going directly into your phone.

I've been in this hobby for a while and have avoided spending much on cables, and if I wasn't into full size cans for a bit, have not spent much on DACS overall either.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #60,624 of 63,117
The real dragons for sound quality are wired though, that's my point. Sticking to just TWS, you are just chasing baby dragons for SQ. Great for out and about, but nothing you should choose to use at home really. I don't think I've ever chosen a TWS to use at home ever. Not the Mystique, not any brand or model. Not when you know what better sounds like.

That's all I'm saying. It's kind of hard to know what makes things sound great if you haven't heard the stuff that is actually great. By no means saying you have to get 5K wired IEM's to do so, but you should be fiddling around the 1K range for wired instead of buying tons of TWS. IF sound quality is a big part of your search that is.

Like I said there are devices out now that let you enjoy wired IEM's far better ergonomically than having them going directly into your phone.

I've been in this hobby for a while and have avoided spending much on cables, and if I wasn't into full size cans for a bit, have not spent much on DACS overall either.
What do you recommend ?

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #60,625 of 63,117
What do you recommend ?

I haven't heard the Prestige, which I know you love. But from what I've gathered they are like the Mystique but with just some more overall resolution and a bump in quality of the mids/highs vs the lows, better separation between the bass and the mids, perhaps a touch less bass forward?

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #60,626 of 63,117
I haven't heard the Prestige, which I know you love. But from what I've gathered they are like the Mystique but with just some more overall resolution and a bump in quality of the mids/highs vs the lows, better separation between the bass and the mids, perhaps a touch less bass forward?
Sorry I meant what wired IEMs do you recommend and what would be a decent dap to use with them? Under 1k like you said. Maybe under $500.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #60,627 of 63,117

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. Unfortunately there are far more expenses beyond the IEM if you really want to flush out the sound. I hang out on the water cooler thread sometimes, and I see you do too. I see a bottomless pit chasing this, and I’m trying to clime out of that pit. 😱

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #60,628 of 63,117
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. Unfortunately there are far more expenses beyond the IEM if you really want to flush out the sound. I hang out on the water cooler thread sometimes, and I see you do too. I see a bottomless pit chasing this, and I’m trying to clime out of that pit. 😱
What's nice about this place is that folks keep telling us opinions and points that we already know and have known for years. It's very helpful. Hopefully, you can hear my sarcasm. Sigh...

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #60,629 of 63,117
They are very interesting... No ANC though.
Yup. Fokus never have ANC. You don't really need it in my experience. Passive isolation is great and worth the omission for such great sound.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #60,630 of 63,117
Thanks for sharing the news and the link!
I saw that you have nice tw monitors, is there any chance to share which ones are the best for you?
What features are most important for you? What kind of music? What is your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back