Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #58,216 of 62,249
Very good price....I think they are probably worth it at that price. I originally said 150 so we are getting close. The question would be these or the MTW3 at the same price.
Having both, I would say if you like a more visceral sound the MTW3 is the better choice. If you have a phone that supports the higher APTx codecs it becomes even more appropriate.

If you prefer a wider sound stage with more spatial sound then the Elite 10 is better option. If your phone does not support higher APTx codecs it then is an easy recommendation as APTx and AAC are pretty similar.

Out of the 2 I personally find the Elite 10 more comfortable. But the MTW3 is comfy and has better wind reduction using ANC and more passive isolation.

I actually am glad I have both still. If my wife say one has to go, I will likely sell the MTW3 because I like the Elite 10 spatial qualities more than the MTW3 visceral qualities.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #58,217 of 62,249
Just got the PI7 S2...They sound clean and neutral, very good...But the main problem for me is the low volume...Kinda spoils the earbuds as a whole imo :/

Very dated tech and few features too, but I knew that before I ordered.

I'm also very excited for the ZE800 MK II, I'll probably check them out if Final decides to sell them from Amazon again. Who knows what might be launched at CES 2024!
you're using them on iPhone i bet.
They sound miles better on aptx sources, and loud as youd need.

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #58,218 of 62,249
The Jabras are almost too small as they don't "fill" the concha of normal sized ears like the 65Ts or the Echo Buds do for instance. Filling the concha has the advantage of more stability and better passive isolation.

Having both, I would say if you like a more visceral sound the MTW3 is the better choice. If you have a phone that supports the higher APTx codecs it becomes even more appropriate.

If you prefer a wider sound stage with more spatial sound then the Elite 10 is better option. If your phone does not support higher APTx codecs it then is an easy recommendation as APTx and AAC are pretty similar.

Out of the 2 I personally find the Elite 10 more comfortable. But the MTW3 is comfy and has better wind reduction using ANC and more passive isolation.

I actually am glad I have both still. If my wife say one has to go, I will likely sell the MTW3 because I like the Elite 10 spatial qualities more than the MTW3 visceral qualities.
I just got the Jabra Elite 10 to replace some 1More Evos for listening on Zoom calls on non Apple devices. They fitted me OK but at a previous suggestion here swapped with the QC2 tips and they fit much better. The ANC is improved too which I find to be good enough but no more. They are as comfortable as the AirPod Pros which is some compliment… so they’ve got more use and now my go to for Windows and Android replacing the QC2. The multipoint that actually works unlike the Evos, the comfort, microphones that work outside and without the Bose bugs persuaded me to change. I’d always use the Bose if I really need noise cancelling though…

I’m not a fan of Jabra/Dolby Surround for music as the metadata provided by the artist is not transferred but it does enhance watching Netflix.

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #58,219 of 62,249
I’m not a fan of Jabra/Dolby Surround for music as the metadata provided by the artist is not transferred but it does enhance watching Netflix.
Not sure what the Metadata does??? Does this mean for music it's not actually playing the music the way the artist intended? Total neophyte when it comes to stuff like this...

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #58,220 of 62,249
Not sure what the Metadata does??? Does this mean for music it's not actually playing the music the way the artist intended? Total neophyte when it comes to stuff like this...
I am no expert but I think for true 3D audio, especially if it is Dolby Atmos you want Metadata as well even if it is for headphones. Some apps like Netflix etc. provide the metadata but the headphones/buds that support Dolby Atmos/3D audio should be able to read/decode it for true effect.

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #58,221 of 62,249
It’s been a few weeks now, so I wanted to share some impressions from my time with the Svanar LE.
IMG_4171.jpeg

They’re a nice middle ground between the Svanar and Svanar Jr, and I think aimed squarely at iPhone users and those who couldn’t be bothered with codecs.

Great build quality (so far), the case is very sturdy but is an object you may want to throw against the wall at night in the dark when you’re trying to open it. Cool design just not functional, kinda frustrating, and bulky.

Buds feel and look premium. Fit is perfect for my small ears, especially with divinius velvet tips. IPX5 rated so I’ve been sweating bullets with them at the gym. So far no issues whatsoever. I wasn’t going to take $500 tws to the gym under any circumstances (and therefore could not justify the Svanar), but these LEs gave me the nudge at $200 less.
IMG_4178.jpeg
Don’t bother with ANC or Transparency. You can tell Hifiman tried, but nah. It’s a no go. Totally destroys the sound on all fronts. Maybe okay for podcasts only? Idk. These isolate really well for me as is, so I never feel robbed of well-performing other modes.

As for sound, I’ve honestly been floored. Shockingly close to how I hear the HE6se v2: a jack of all trades master of one (live performances) with a more intimate soundstage. It has that tactile, live Hifiman sound that in my opinion is their secret sauce to success all these years. A true all rounder for me. It’s been really cool to have a set that I can wear literally all day with no compromises for comfort/wires/etc, and not have that audio fomo that I could be listening to something else/better/different in my stable.
IMG_4170.jpeg

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #58,222 of 62,249
Hey Wireless friends.

I always make the mistake of not coming here first for moments like this.

Need a new Bluetooth speaker. Medium sized like the Bose Soundlink Flex (Which I have and think it is really good). But wouldn't mind something equal or better. JBL Charge 5 fails under convoluted tracks and bass is actually worse than Bose. Very peaky as well. Sonos, Marshall Emberton II all weak and quite sad when it comes to bass.

Reddit is obsessed with the Soundcore Motion Boom + but it's a bit big for indoor use (General use case). Then they are obsessed with Oluvs Earfun uboom L speaker but in my experience these "Audiophile" speakers are made for people who love jazz along with anemic bass.

Need something that works indoors but ideally can thump (well enough) outdoors at a festival.

So I'm thinking the Minirig 3.

Any other niche products out there I might not know about?
Personally Im a fan of picking up some 2-5 years old things on a discount. KEF Muo, Dali Katch, etc. But for "fun/bass" I would probably go with something in Bose/BW area

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #58,223 of 62,249
Okay friends, I need some advice on spending/saving money. In the past, I had the DPP (2 sets), but they both had some technical issues, static bursts, signal drops, and one had poor build quality. I moved on to the MTW3 and I like them. I just found that Amazon Canada now has the DPP in stock, I had to order from Denon before. I miss the sound of the DPP, the MTW3 is about 75% there, but that BASS!! 😍🤩🤤. WWHFD? That’s “what would head-fi do?”

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #58,224 of 62,249
The PI7 S2's are gooooooood, at least if you only view them from a sound quality perspective, the sound is clear, neutral (not too neutral, some bass too) with a big soundstage for an TWS...!

But I'm very pleased that I've got until late Jan to return these...If players like B&O or Sennheiser hints or presents something new at CES, then yeah I'll most likely return these. As a TWS the PI7 S2's are pretty crappy, but as a pair of wireless earbuds they're awesome.

Volume is a bit better now for some reason (using 1V so I'm getting the maximum out of these).

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #58,225 of 62,249
Anyone else love the prompt voice from the Status Between 3ANC? I just love that it's a guy who sounds super uninterested at telling you the information you're given.

I mean okay, honestly I don't like it as much as I find it kinda funny. But hey, some variation from the "woman with posh and proper British accent yet totally not convinced that they are in fact British" that it seems like most companies use in one way or another.

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #58,226 of 62,249
P
I am no expert but I think for true 3D audio, especially if it is Dolby Atmos you want Metadata as well even if it is for headphones. Some apps like Netflix etc. provide the metadata but the headphones/buds that support Dolby Atmos/3D audio should be able to read/decode it for true effect.
Dolby Atmos and other similar schemes treat sound as objects so when constructing the sound you can place each sound object in 3D space. This is how you hear a helicopter coming towards you and flying over your head in a good Atmos system, since the sound has been placed to be in front, then rising, then over you and finally behind you. The placement of the sound amongst other things is the « metadata » I spoke about previously and it is carried separately from the audio codec.

Dolby Atmos or Sony 360 encoded tracks have this metadata that describes position placed by the artist/master inside the format. This is what Tidal, Netflix or Apple Music receive.

Decoding that is a rather more complicated subject since it could be in the app, the OS or the headphones or maybe all 3… Perhaps for another day :wink:

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #58,228 of 62,249
Gotta say that the retransmit feature of the case is pretty darn neat! Just a shame it only seems to work with the included cable? I'm also curios if the case is also charging whilst its in use as a transmitter?

I've used it today both at my personal desktop and with my laptop at school, I prefer it over various adapters.!

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #58,229 of 62,249
I just got the Jabra Elite 10 to replace some 1More Evos for listening on Zoom calls on non Apple devices. They fitted me OK but at a previous suggestion here swapped with the QC2 tips and they fit much better. The ANC is improved too which I find to be good enough but no more. They are as comfortable as the AirPod Pros which is some compliment… so they’ve got more use and now my go to for Windows and Android replacing the QC2. The multipoint that actually works unlike the Evos, the comfort, microphones that work outside and without the Bose bugs persuaded me to change. I’d always use the Bose if I really need noise cancelling though…

Funny you mentioned the 1More Evo - I just got some to test today.

So far, not enough bass for me, SoundID is laughable and almost deafened me but overall, pretty comfortable and overall sound is good.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #58,230 of 62,249
So, I caved in and got the Bose Ultra Buds today .. and boy ... what is going on with Bose and connection? As soon as I try anything that has to do with the App (in iOS), about 30 secs later the buds disconnect for no apparent reason .. I have not been able to do the fit test nor check out 'immersive sound' (the first disconnect happened when I clicked 'play the demo'). ... when I stay away from the app, and connect manually ... it plays fine .. but of course I want to be able to access the featueres in the app ... I checked that I have both, current app version and buds upgraded to latest ... oh, i just noticed I can enter 'immersion mode' by long pressing (it cycles through quiet-aware-immersion) .. but can't say I notice much difference .. yet .. gotta play some more ...

I really hope this is just an app bug that will be fixed pronto

For those curious, the alternate fit kit rings and tips from the QCBudsII fit on here as well, the are missing a tiny extra notch, which does not make a huge difference

Any luck since you posted this ?

Do you hear any difference with the QCII in terms of ANC ?

What's that "alternate fit kit rings and tips" for the QCII ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back