Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 20, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #47,281 of 62,012
Hi, I haven't posted in a while, but have kept up on reading. Thank you all for your many contributions, I enjoy reading you. I've been quietly content with my Jabra Elite 85t and Technics EAH-AZ60. I'm with @Canabuc (our tastes seem similar, brother, but never did pull the trigger on the Huawei) that the AZ60 ticks all the boxes. I didn't really need an upgrade for listening to ambient and rock while using for phone calls at the office, but... I read all the great feedback and bought the Beyerdynamic Free Byrd from Amazon. Many find them flawless, but I'm sorry that my experience with Free Byrd is mixed.

Free Byrd pros: solid case, feels like a tank but still pocketable; personalization of sound in the app; good battery life; huge touch area on the buds; ANC is pretty good (not Sony/Bose good, but still nice); big case can accommodate other tips; strong BT connection doesn't drop; you can hear your own voice a little bit on phone calls (somewhat like the Jabra), which is a major plus for my use; and of course, the sound is clear and detailed, can bring the bass without being boomy. For what it's worth, I'm ok with a V-signature, being, if I can confess this publicly, Hi, I'm a basshead, recommend me a good TWS pls lol

Free Byrd cons: limited EQ presets, and they warn of distortion if you add EQ after you personalize; you can't customize the touch patterns, and I probably stop play about 25% of the time I'm trying to adjust volume up/down; no multipoint but a feature that releases old device connection if you connect with new one, nice but still requires connecting if you, say, want to answer your phone while playing music from your PC;

The biggest FreeByrd con, though, to me and for my larger ears, is the fit. The issue is the pressure on my inner tragus after maybe 10 minutes. I always know I'm wearing them, the constant pressure turns to pain after about 30 minutes. I know others have said the fit has been easy with the 8 tips they provide (XL fits me, but L silicon and foams is too small) , and like you all, I have a plethora of tips from Spinfit to Auvia to NewBee to Comply to JVC, etc. If I go too big and get a seal, I'm aware of them and the pressure. If I go too small to ease the pressure, there's no bass. The Spinfit CP360 XL seals, but even that hurts after a while, the CP360 L doesn't seal. I think part of the issue is the shape of the TWS itself: it doesn't taper like say, the AZ60 but the Free Byrd is instead is more a stubby cylindrical half-cork and then a relatively short nozzle. No one else has written about this, so it's just my anatomy I guess (yay for me!), but I continue to tip-roll from my collection of hundreds to see if I can find the slipper which unlocks the Cinderella fit.

I suppose eventually I may have to try to return the FreeByrds and try to find out how stingy their return policy is. As much as I'd like these to work out. I'm open for suggestions on how to make these fit given my unique challenge. Also, if you're up to it given what you know about my use and tastes, please recommend me options for my next TWS purchase. On my radar screen is MTW3, B&O Beoplay EX, L3P, and Linkbuds S, but maybe there's something I missed.

Thanks for reading!

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #47,282 of 62,012
Hi, I haven't posted in a while, but have kept up on reading. Thank you all for your many contributions, I enjoy reading you. I've been quietly content with my Jabra Elite 85t and Technics EAH-AZ60. I'm with @Canabuc (our tastes seem similar, brother, but never did pull the trigger on the Huawei) that the AZ60 ticks all the boxes. I didn't really need an upgrade for listening to ambient and rock while using for phone calls at the office, but... I read all the great feedback and bought the Beyerdynamic Free Byrd from Amazon. Many find them flawless, but I'm sorry that my experience with Free Byrd is mixed.

Free Byrd pros: solid case, feels like a tank but still pocketable; personalization of sound in the app; good battery life; huge touch area on the buds; ANC is pretty good (not Sony/Bose good, but still nice); big case can accommodate other tips; strong BT connection doesn't drop; you can hear your own voice a little bit on phone calls (somewhat like the Jabra), which is a major plus for my use; and of course, the sound is clear and detailed, can bring the bass without being boomy. For what it's worth, I'm ok with a V-signature, being, if I can confess this publicly, Hi, I'm a basshead, recommend me a good TWS pls lol

Free Byrd cons: limited EQ presets, and they warn of distortion if you add EQ after you personalize; you can't customize the touch patterns, and I probably stop play about 25% of the time I'm trying to adjust volume up/down; no multipoint but a feature that releases old device connection if you connect with new one, nice but still requires connecting if you, say, want to answer your phone while playing music from your PC;

The biggest FreeByrd con, though, to me and for my larger ears, is the fit. The issue is the pressure on my inner tragus after maybe 10 minutes. I always know I'm wearing them, the constant pressure turns to pain after about 30 minutes. I know others have said the fit has been easy with the 8 tips they provide (XL fits me, but L silicon and foams is too small) , and like you all, I have a plethora of tips from Spinfit to Auvia to NewBee to Comply to JVC, etc. If I go too big and get a seal, I'm aware of them and the pressure. If I go too small to ease the pressure, there's no bass. The Spinfit CP360 XL seals, but even that hurts after a while, the CP360 L doesn't seal. I think part of the issue is the shape of the TWS itself: it doesn't taper like say, the AZ60 but the Free Byrd is instead is more a stubby cylindrical half-cork and then a relatively short nozzle. No one else has written about this, so it's just my anatomy I guess (yay for me!), but I continue to tip-roll from my collection of hundreds to see if I can find the slipper which unlocks the Cinderella fit.

I suppose eventually I may have to try to return the FreeByrds and try to find out how stingy their return policy is. As much as I'd like these to work out. I'm open for suggestions on how to make these fit given my unique challenge. Also, if you're up to it given what you know about my use and tastes, please recommend me options for my next TWS purchase. On my radar screen is MTW3, B&O Beoplay EX, L3P, and Linkbuds S, but maybe there's something I missed.

Thanks for reading!
My Free Byrds were returned. I think with personalization the sq is good, but the EX is more to my likes, subjectively. If I put my reviewer hat on, I would clearly give the nod to the EX in the sound quality department. Even though personalization sound is good, I found myself switching to stock sound more often than not.

The Linkbuds were also returned, most definitely prefer the XM4. It is one of the first time I have ever EQ'ed, anything. I found some settings that gel with me and ANC is top notch, Spinfit CP360 works well, hate the stock tips.

MTW3 is the IEM that sent me spiraling down the top tier TWS rabbit hole. I only ever bought Sennheiser TWS. Loved the OG and the 2's and then the MTW3 has a short nozzle, and I could not get a good seal.

Liked the Google buds, most recent, but seal wouldn't work.

Just patiently awaiting the next big top tier release, but I had my sites on the new LG's, heard mixed things and have had the Huwaei in my cart a couple of times and never pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #47,284 of 62,012
JBL Tune Flex are in the house. These are supposed to be worn either like open earbuds or sealing IEMs, depending on tips used.

JBL-TUNE-Flex-Earbuds-Fig-2-1024x601.png

Well, for me the second option doesn't really work, since the nozzles aren't long enough to provide a secure seal. It may work for some, depending on your ear anatomy, but in general I'd say, don't count on the IEM option. If seal is important, I'd think that *real* IEMs have a clear advantage over these.

But on the bright side, these are some of the best, if not the best open earbud style TWS I've come across. One can use the different sized tips to fit them very close to the ear canal opening (while still not sealing), thus taking advantage of the proximity effect for utterly impressive bass. I don't think I've ever heard comparable sub-bass from an open, non-sealing bud before.

On top of that, the JBL app offers a nifty customizable in-device EQ, so you can tune these babies to your liking.

JBL-TUNE-Flex-Earbuds-Fig-11.png

There's ANC too, but needless to say, in open earbud mode its effect is rather homeopathic. However, these have a big and bold sound, reminiscent of larger phones, with very nice extension, detail resolution and soundstage. So there's plenty to like about them, even if ANC is not their strong point.

JBL_Tune_Flex_Product%20Image_Tips_Black_.png
JBL_Tune%20Flex_Accessories_Black.png

TL;DR: Worn as open earbuds, these are highly enjoyable and keepers in my book. But for sealing IEMs, I'd rather look elsewhere.
thank you for sharing your experience. I've been eyeing those when they were announced and was wondering if anyone would be picking one up. They still aren't available in my area.

I wonder when the flex is in open ear mode if it sounds similar to the tune 225?

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #47,285 of 62,012
The mention of the Jabra dongle on the last page reminded of a question I've been meaning to ask:

Does windows 11 eliminate the need for it anymore? In other words does it faithfully interchange calls with music and vice versa without losing SQ or do you still have to choose one or the other for optimum sound? If it has it might be time to upgrade my Win 10 to Win 11 as my current hardware is capable of it.

Edit: Here's a thread that explains a bit more on Windows limitation regarding this.
Not yet even on Windows 11 DEV still set MIC to Walkie Talkie/Radio Quality or such, that is said to be changing "soon".

LE Audio (inc LC3): https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/...ed-low-power-high-quality-wireless-headphones

Also, aptX Lossless which I believe some buds will also do on the MIC side: https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/1/22652655/qualcomm-aptx-lossless-announced-snapdragon-sound

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #47,288 of 62,012
Hi
Just my humble opinion and didnt read the whole topic sorry
I had the fiio utws5 on my iPhone 11 and westone w50 for 6 monthes and recently I just come back to wire
The sound wasnt bad but it improved the downsides or my iem, making the sound feeling boringly slow warm bassy muddy and in a Word, compressed
With the wire and a dragonfly cobalt, my w50 came back to life with dynamic, details, air, treble, faster bass etc
Maybe the codecs are too old on the phone, but définitely not a good pairing

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #47,289 of 62,012

Thanks for reading!
Noble FoKus Pro my friend

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #47,292 of 62,012
$69.00 Chi-Fi stuff...maybe they are getting there. Not sure what that means
Hey, I didn't title this thread. I'm just going along with it. :)

Are we there yet? Is KZ there yet? "There" is certainly subjective and based on many different needs. One persons "there" is another persons still not good enough. :beerchug:

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #47,294 of 62,012
I picked up Jabra Elite 85T's and I like them.. On sale for $139.00 at Best Buy.
Software app is integrated nicely with the hardware..
Sound is on par with my other TWS, Apple Pro, B&W P7, M&D 07, 1000x3, Sennheiser M2. These devices just don't (blow each other away), as I've said before. I tend to EQ all my wireless phones, there is a specific sound signature I like. I'll also adjust it differently per the type of music I'm listening to. To me, the effort put in, is worth the trouble..
For just popping them in on the run, can't beat AAP's, but in critical listening, will rarely reach for them.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #47,295 of 62,012
the AZ10 is low latency gaming oriented, it dosnt have APTX or APTX Adaptive

i would stick to the AZ09 pro
About the AZ10, agreed.

The AZ09 Pro does offer a low latency mode (AptX-LL), called the HIGH performance mode. Three successive clicks to the RIGHT earhook button.
For the POWER mode that I often use with my Shuoer S12's to bring out the base and make these planars shine...three successive clicks to the LEFT earhook button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back