Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #43,606 of 62,293
My replacement AZ60 seems solid, fingers crossed that weird clicking sound never rears its ugly head...

Here is my latest attempt tweak the sound signature to something like my FH5. The idea being to reduce the bass a bit and then get the rest of signature to be lightly W shaped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220304-174225_Technics Audio Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-174225_Technics Audio Connect.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #43,607 of 62,293
My replacement AZ60 seems solid, fingers crossed that weird clicking sound never rears its ugly head...

Here is my latest attempt tweak the sound signature to something like my FH5. The idea being to reduce the bass a bit and then get the rest of signature to be lightly W shaped.
My EQ looks very similar for the AZ60's. :D

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #43,608 of 62,293
I am an imaging junky, no doubt about it. The FH5 suits me so well because of the sense of being surrounded by the music. I am sitting hear trying several headphones back and forth and the bottom line, for pure enjoyment I prefer this experience over everything else. The Audioquest Nighthawk is my best headphone for this experience and even though it's not as bright as the FH5 it similarly makes me get lost in the music.

Combine the imaging of the FH5 with great detail and the ability to have big bass makes it perfect for me.

I hope someone can figure out how to accomplish what the FH5 does in an actual TWS. If that day arrives I will truly be at an end game in regards to a Bluetooth products.

The AZ60 has this ability to a certain degree as does the Galaxy Buds Pro but neither is more than 60% as effective in this area and none of the other TWS or even neckband IEMs I have owned including the Sony WI-1000X, WF-1000XM3 are any better.

I think ANC affects the phsychoaccoustic effect I enjoy, but even when I turn off ANC none of the TWS and neckband products I have tried are able to hold a candle to a good IEM in this regard.

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #43,609 of 62,293
I am an imaging junky, no doubt about it. The FH5 suits me so well because of the sense of being surrounded by the music. I am sitting hear trying several headphones back and forth and the bottom line, for pure enjoyment I prefer this experience over everything else. The Audioquest Nighthawk is my best headphone for this experience and even though it's not as bright as the FH5 it similarly makes me get lost in the music.

Combine the imaging of the FH5 with great detail and the ability to have big bass makes it perfect for me.

I hope someone can figure out how to accomplish what the FH5 does in an actual TWS. If that day arrives I will truly be at an end game in regards to a Bluetooth products.

The AZ60 has this ability to a certain degree as does the Galaxy Buds Pro but neither is more than 60% as effective in this area and none of the other TWS or even neckband IEMs I have owned including the Sony WI-1000X, WF-1000XM3 are any better.

I think ANC affects the phsychoaccoustic effect I enjoy, but even when I turn off ANC none of the TWS and neckband products I have tried are able to hold a candle to a good IEM in this regard.
You all have my curiosity piqued and my wallet finger itching something fierce. But, to be clear, are we talking about the FH5, or the FH5s?

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #43,610 of 62,293
I bought the original FH5 not the FH5S, the new model is supposed to have a larger sound stage because it is semi open versus the original which is closed. For me, I was able to get the FH5 for $90 off the retail which is part of the reason I went with it, but I also wanted better passive isolation. I initially noticed the smaller sound stage but love the imaging and the big bass.

Edit: just want to be clear, the FH5 has a big sound stage compared to most IEMs it's just not quite as big as some and my previous high end IEM (Sony XBA-Z5) was one of those models.

In reading I think I would prefer the FH5 over the S model though as I hear the S model has hotter treble and the FH5 is already right at my limit.

The other factor for the S model is the new cable with ability to switch tips. But in my case I knew I was going to be using a BT TWS adapter so better cables were not important to me.

When looking at the original FH5 be aware they have the original titanium color and a new black model. The black model has slightly longer stems to fit a bit deeper in the ear which some people prefer. I actually ordered the black but recieved the Titanium model. But once I tried them I didn't care as the original design fit my ears perfectly and I liked their look as much as the black model. But I always have preferred a shallow fit over deeper insertion IEMs so you need to go with the one that works best for you...

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #43,611 of 62,293
I bought the original FH5 not the FH5S, the new model is supposed to have a larger sound stage because it is semi open versus the original which is closed. For me, I was able to get the FH5 for $90 off the retail which is part of the reason I went with it, but I also wanted better passive isolation. I initially noticed the smaller sound stage but love the imaging and the big bass.

Edit: just want to be clear, the FH5 has a big sound stage compared to most IEMs it's just not quite as big as some and my previous high end IEM (Sony XBA-Z5) was one of those models.

In reading I think I would prefer the FH5 over the S model though as I hear the S model has hotter treble and the FH5 is already right at my limit.

The other factor for the S model is the new cable with ability to switch tips. But in my case I knew I was going to be using a BT TWS adapter so better cables were not important to me.

When looking at the original FH5 be aware they have the original titanium color and a new black model. The black model has slightly longer stems to fit a bit deeper in the ear which some people prefer. I actually ordered the black but recieved the Titanium model. But once I tried them I didn't care as the original design fit my ears perfectly and I liked their look as much as the black model. But I always have preferred a shallow fit over deeper insertion IEMs so you need to go with the one that works best for you...
Thanks!

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #43,612 of 62,293

Right with all of that. The FH5's is quite hot at times and the bass impact just is not the same... At all to me. Fh5 is an iem that lasts, just the tuning alone. Good sound is always good. I'm trying to think of a tws that has the ability to have the extension of the FH5 yet still somehow remain balanced but also have the ability to reach deep in the low end while still keeping a tight bass.... That's a tough one. It would most certainly have to be a set that reacts well to eq. I bet I could get the Lypertek Z7 very close.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #43,613 of 62,293
The Lypertek Z7 is also a hybrid, right? Never tried that Brand yet, will do some reading...

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #43,615 of 62,293
Hmmmm, I can get the Z7 for $168CAD at Headphone Bar, very tempting... The reviews are decent from what I can see, how is the imaging on them?

Just realizing how much I have missed good imaging since getting the FH5.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #43,616 of 62,293
Right with all of that. The FH5's is quite hot at times and the bass impact just is not the same... At all to me. Fh5 is an iem that lasts, just the tuning alone. Good sound is always good. I'm trying to think of a tws that has the ability to have the extension of the FH5 yet still somehow remain balanced but also have the ability to reach deep in the low end while still keeping a tight bass.... That's a tough one. It would most certainly have to be a set that reacts well to eq. I bet I could get the Lypertek Z7 very close.
How is Z7 compared to rest of the wireless iem?

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #43,617 of 62,293
How is Z7 compared to rest of the wireless iem?
Z7 is flat out one of the best tws iems for sound quality. For the price it is ridiculous how capable the drivers are in this set. I've had these for over 6 months maybe more. I think if you want better sound in the tws world you'd have to look at the Fokus model by Noble and maybe the EQ (please note that this is my opinion). I have gotten rid of most of the big hitters out there (Gemini, Sony wf1000xm4, AZ60, Grado Gt220, Liberty 3 Pro, etc etc) in favor of the Z7. Although there are a few I have yet to try but the Z7 does compete well. So please take into consideration that I haven't heard everything out there and I'm sure some sets can do well against this set for SQ. I care about sound quality over everything else. I don't care about anc or a good ambient mode... However, that being said the Z7 also lacks anc and have an ambient mode that leaves alot to be desired. It has a nice app which gives you pretty good control as well. The Z7 react very well to an equalizer as these drivers just seem to take whatever you throw at them without distortion and the Z7 just have awesome control over the whole spectrum and extend really low. Just like the Tevi/Z3 the Z7 have more sub bass than mid bass (which I like) and have good extension up top. I think they get 11 hrs battery on the Buds. Another few things to note; the case is rather large, granted you get 70 hrs with the thing and also the Z7 are quite large themselves and stick out of the ear a bit. Also they are push button rather than touch. I can't say anything bad about the Z7. The tuning is almost a slightly airier Final Audio tuning but with EQ the these can change significantly. One last thing, I really believe the Titanium Driver in this set needs a good 50 hrs (at the very least) burn-in or listen-in and they may require different tips.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #43,619 of 62,293
Hey guys,

Seeking your kind help. I'm looking for wireless earphones mostly for work/zoom hence call quality should be good and since I do appreciate audio (I enjoy and own Westones 4R, Ortofon EQ5, Etymotics HF5, ER3XR), I wouldn't mind one with good SQ.

Which wireless solution might you recommend for me? I'm open to any budget range. I live in Singapore but happy to get from anywhere online.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Mar 6, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #43,620 of 62,293
Hey guys,

Seeking your kind help. I'm looking for wireless earphones mostly for work/zoom hence call quality should be good and since I do appreciate audio (I enjoy and own Westones 4R, Ortofon EQ5, Etymotics HF5, ER3XR), I wouldn't mind one with good SQ.

Which wireless solution might you recommend for me? I'm open to any budget range. I live in Singapore but happy to get from anywhere online.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend TWS for anything other than quick phone calls. The technology isn't just there yet, but things might change with the upcoming LE Audio.

I guess that AirPods pro is decent within their ecosystem, but if you plan on using a TWS with a windows PC, thats a big no no imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back