Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 4, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #43,576 of 62,585
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Very valuable and much appreciated. Keep chiming in. Unfortunately I cannot try the FH5 out but I will try the FH3 a friend just got. Probably a toned down FH5. I am going to contact the local distributor and see if they have any FH open box (or any Fiio for that matter). I have the sense I’m going to love the bass resolution but they’re maybe gonna be too bright for me. Frequency response is one thing and how the crossover works the tuning out is another. Idk, gotta check. Cheers.
I love the FH3. To me it is a toss up with the Fh5. They are tuned different. There is good reason that the FH3 was received as well as it has been and is still in discussion for best under $200. Just an excellent set at the price. I think fh5 have a tinge better resolution but they are two fantastic sets that fit many genres.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #43,577 of 62,585
Or never clipping your thumb nail... LOL

Yeah, I was sent one of those tools free with my 7Hz Timeless, which is ironic because the shape of those won't allow you to get the tool in there to use it properly. :)
LOL... Ya it used to be... "Okay, pull it straight out and do it quick and please don't break". I was always having to re-tighten my mmcx connections on my cables... Just a mess, the tool is such a help.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #43,578 of 62,585
I don't know about the Variations, but keep in mind that a good bass boost can be a good thing in some cases (as long as it is tasteful and not overly done). If a set of IEMs is analytical by nature, a good bass boost will also help to make them more musical (and not boring sounding), and yet retain their analytical nature also.

One of the reasons I love the IT series from iBasso is that the bass, while boosted a bit, is more linear (except the IT01 which is almost a bass cannon). This means that in tracks that call for heavy bass, you hear it all, but in ones that do not, it is not over emphasized. There is also not a huge mid-bass hump that creates the mids bass bleed. I can't compare the IT01x with the Variations as I have not heard them, but I would submit that the IT01x is the little brother of the IT07 with less refinement that you would get from the IT07 (which IS a kilobuck IEM in sonic quality, just not in price). I personally kept the IT01s and sent the IT01x back because the sonic differences to my ears was not enough to justify the price difference that I was able to obtain for the IT01s (IT01s WAS $200, but I got them for $120).

The other thing I have always like about iBasso products is that they are very competitive in their pricing. They create devices/items that compete with other TOTL stuff but not at an exorbitant price range like most other manufacturers do. (not to start a flame war here but) Take the A&K SP2000 for instance. It is somewhere around $2400. I would submit that the DX300 ($1100) is better in every way; power output, screen, speed of OS, features, sound, for much less money (IMHO).

But at the end of the day, I think that it will come down to how your ears hear things. The Variations could be the one, or the Fiio FH5, or the iBasso series. And, you won't really know until you put them into your ears really. BUT... I would probably put any of them up as being very good for your money IMO. For what you are looking for I don't think you can go wrong unless one of those sets just happens to not synergize well with the chain you currently have. Keep in mind that (while I am not a fanboy it might appear so) I use iBasso DAPs (DX300 and DX160) for all my music needs, and the iBasso IEMs synergize very well with them. I find no reviews that say any of those DON'T synergize well with most DAC/amps, but it IS possible. This holds true for any IEM that you have to rely on others to tell you how they sound.
Have you tried the Mangird Tea? Just another option under $500 that replays very well. Just a thought. Anything ibasso or fiio won't let you down, built well and tuned for multiple genres in mind, for the most part.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #43,579 of 62,585
LOL... Ya it used to be... "Okay, pull it straight out and do it quick and please don't break". I was always having to re-tighten my mmcx connections on my cables... Just a mess, the tool is such a help.
I have been fortunate to this point and had 0 issues with MMCX connectors. I don't do much cable rolling. I find what sounds good with an IEM and pretty much stick with it. Though, I can see issues once I do get a BT adaptor because I know I'll want to still listen to the IEMs wired from time to time. :slight_smile:

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #43,580 of 62,585
I was looking at the m11 plus. I own the m11 original and it is still so good man. However I was thinking of upgrading to either the m11 plus or the Hiby R6 2020. Enjoy it man
I'm liking it so far. It was between the m11 plus ess and dx240 for me but the dx240 is not widely available in Canada so I went with the m11 plus ess. Sounds great so far. A much cleaner and resolving sound from my outdated fiio m7 DAP. I miss the small portability of the M7 but the m11 plus has some good heft and reeks of quality.

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #43,581 of 62,585
Right in the middle would be nice. I’ve been eyeing the Variations which, although having that sub-bass boost, have a dip in the upper bass/lower mids which might balance them up. They reportedly have loads (for the price) of separation and clear imaging, which is appealing to me. The pinna-gain on these seem to be there but not overtly emphasized and the ESTs seem to give them treble definition but smoothness, which I also like. Most if not all refer to a better B2D which, although not having tried them, all the reviews sound really good.
iBasso are also tempting me. Could the IT-01x be up to par with the Variations? IT-07 must be above them but (still) out of my range as, I’m trying at least, to remain under 500€.
I either have or had the IEMs in question here. The IT01x is noooothing like the Variations. I frequently pair with my DX300 and the Ibasso IEMs are truly wonderful but the Variations are an entirely different critter. The IT01x is bass forward and very rich sounding, whereas the Variations are much more balanced and are more natural sounding. The IT07s are stunning and worth every dollar, but it’s a lot of dollars. For that “right in the middle” sound (and a fantastic price to audio ratio), I would suggest the TRI Starsea. I find the signature much more balanced than the TRI i3. At $200, they are quite special. But the Dorado2020s have stayed my daily drivers. I keep them on TW2s and put them back on cable and iFi goBlu when I can and the mood strikes.

Be cautious with open box sales. Great prices but generally non-returnable. Be really sure

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #43,582 of 62,585
arghh, the stupid clicking sound on the left earbud of my AZ60 has come back!! I can reproduce it by simply touching the screen area on the IEM, at its worst every step I take causes it to click...

according to Panasonic website its a replacement warranty that the store should honor, so back to London Drugs today and see if they will give me a hassle... Sure hope not.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #43,583 of 62,585
I have been fortunate to this point and had 0 issues with MMCX connectors. I don't do much cable rolling. I find what sounds good with an IEM and pretty much stick with it. Though, I can see issues once I do get a BT adaptor because I know I'll want to still listen to the IEMs wired from time to time. :slight_smile:
I bought the helper thing exactly because of this. I have had several MMCX IEM's break over the years, my worst one was my $800 pair of Sony XBA-Z5. I literally would not but an MMCX product for several years because of the issue. I finally broke down and bought the FH5 because it was at least not $800. But I also bought this tool to help ensure I don't wreck them.

The good news is have a feeling I won't be switching them out very often as they sound superb in my current UTWS5 configuration and I don't see any benefit going wired unless I choose to buy a dedicated DAP which is unlikely do to my use case as I hate carrying extra around and my phone no longer has a headphone jack so limited to BT anyway.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #43,584 of 62,585
I either have or had the IEMs in question here. The IT01x is noooothing like the Variations. I frequently pair with my DX300 and the Ibasso IEMs are truly wonderful but the Variations are an entirely different critter. The IT01x is bass forward and very rich sounding, whereas the Variations are much more balanced and are more natural sounding. The IT07s are stunning and worth every dollar, but it’s a lot of dollars. For that “right in the middle” sound (and a fantastic price to audio ratio), I would suggest the TRI Starsea. I find the signature much more balanced than the TRI i3. At $200, they are quite special. But the Dorado2020s have stayed my daily drivers. I keep them on TW2s and put them back on cable and iFi goBlu when I can and the mood strikes.

Be cautious with open box sales. Great prices but generally non-returnable. Be really sure
That is the word I would use about the IT07 also. Good adjective! :)

@tiagopinto There is a pair of the IT07 on the classified here on Head-Fi for 600 Euros in case you are interested BTW!

Edit: Oh, NM... The seller didn't mark it as sold, only in the comments below...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #43,585 of 62,585
I'm liking it so far. It was between the m11 plus ess and dx240 for me but the dx240 is not widely available in Canada so I went with the m11 plus ess. Sounds great so far. A much cleaner and resolving sound from my outdated fiio m7 DAP. I miss the small portability of the M7 but the m11 plus has some good heft and reeks of quality.
I here you. I want something between $600-900. I'm leaning toward the Hiby R6 2020 at the moment but the M11 Plus is right there with it and yes it is very nice. Honestly the M11 is very nice as well and I question if I even need an upgrade. Basically the same body as the plus with different internals. The plus is certainly a step up for sure though. You picked up a great Dap man

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #43,586 of 62,585
I don't know about the Variations, but keep in mind that a good bass boost can be a good thing in some cases (as long as it is tasteful and not overly done). If a set of IEMs is analytical by nature, a good bass boost will also help to make them more musical (and not boring sounding), and yet retain their analytical nature also.

One of the reasons I love the IT series from iBasso is that the bass, while boosted a bit, is more linear (except the IT01 which is almost a bass cannon). This means that in tracks that call for heavy bass, you hear it all, but in ones that do not, it is not over emphasized. There is also not a huge mid-bass hump that creates the mids bass bleed. I can't compare the IT01x with the Variations as I have not heard them, but I would submit that the IT01x is the little brother of the IT07 with less refinement that you would get from the IT07 (which IS a kilobuck IEM in sonic quality, just not in price). I personally kept the IT01s and sent the IT01x back because the sonic differences to my ears was not enough to justify the price difference that I was able to obtain for the IT01s (IT01s WAS $200, but I got them for $120).

The other thing I have always like about iBasso products is that they are very competitive in their pricing. They create devices/items that compete with other TOTL stuff but not at an exorbitant price range like most other manufacturers do. (not to start a flame war here but) Take the A&K SP2000 for instance. It is somewhere around $2400. I would submit that the DX300 ($1100) is better in every way; power output, screen, speed of OS, features, sound, for much less money (IMHO).

But at the end of the day, I think that it will come down to how your ears hear things. The Variations could be the one, or the Fiio FH5, or the iBasso series. And, you won't really know until you put them into your ears really. BUT... I would probably put any of them up as being very good for your money IMO. For what you are looking for I don't think you can go wrong unless one of those sets just happens to not synergize well with the chain you currently have. Keep in mind that (while I am not a fanboy it might appear so) I use iBasso DAPs (DX300 and DX160) for all my music needs, and the iBasso IEMs synergize very well with them. I find no reviews that say any of those DON'T synergize well with most DAC/amps, but it IS possible. This holds true for any IEM that you have to rely on others to tell you how they sound.

Thanks as always bud.

It seems that the DX300 is the kind of unicorn I’m looking for in a IEM. (wish I could dive into the DAP rabbit hole... wait, I hear voices “stay focused, too expensive, stay focused”)

I have to pay the Fiio distributor a visit and REALLY push them to try a few. Lack of friends with the same “disease”, lack of local retail opportunities... I WILL get there.

(Just saw that the TW2’s price has gone up 20 bucks from the previous discounted price of 186€. Gotta make a decision soon)

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #43,587 of 62,585

Thanks, will look into the TRI Starsea, also to see if they are even attainable within the EU.

Could you elaborate on your impressions of the Variations, please?

I would never buy anything I’m not sure about which I cannot return. They’re also the distributors for Campfire Audio (but they’re not carrying any of the newer models and I haven’t seen previous models in store. I guess they’re pushing the Fiio stuff more) and they offered me to try them if and when they got them (on lent, shhh) So I’ll just make the case for their Fiio stuff. I’ll report back.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #43,588 of 62,585
I here you. I want something between $600-900. I'm leaning toward the Hiby R6 2020 at the moment but the M11 Plus is right there with it and yes it is very nice. Honestly the M11 is very nice as well and I question if I even need an upgrade. Basically the same body as the plus with different internals. The plus is certainly a step up for sure though. You picked up a great Dap man
Keep in mind that there are 2 plus variants (you probably already know this). The Plus and the Plus LTD. The draw that I see is the lack of volume wheel for either.

But the Plus uses the ESS DAC, where the Plus LTD uses the AK DAC. The ESS Plus has 660mW @32Ω whereas the Plus LTD has 558mW @32Ω (both numbers are from balanced out).

Unless you are looking for purely sound quality, I won't even suggest the DX160 because it has terrible BT and WiFi connections. Sound-wise though, I don't know if you can get much better for the price category listed (that is totally subjective though). The mid-tiered DAPs are so close in sound quality these days, I would really look for all the features you are wanting (and future-proof). For example, if you are wanting Roon certified, you may need to jump over to A&K, otherwise you will be limited to 16/48 if you use Roon. Or, if you need more ouput power to double as a desktop solution, you will either need to upgrade your tier (money) or get something like the DX160 (6.2VRMS). Etc... etc...

From what I have read though, you really can't go wrong with Fiio, or Hiby, or iBasso IMHO.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #43,589 of 62,585
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #43,590 of 62,585
Is this really it...
1646419003583.png

1646419017287.png

With outstanding sound quality and Adaptive Noise Cancellation, the MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 are an excellent choice if you're looking for ultimate listening pleasure. The Sennheiser TrueResponse transducer system delivers superior high-fidelity sound using high-resolution wireless transmission. Adaptive Noise Cancellation guarantees an undisturbed listening experience and automatically adapts the ANC level if the ambient noise level changes. The advanced system uses three microphones to continually monitor ambient noise and automatically optimise noise cancellation. When you want to be aware of your surroundings or have a conversation, the Transparent Hearing feature makes the ambient noise audible at the touch of a button.

Impressive all round
Exceptional quality when answering and making calls or interacting with voice assistants is guaranteed by an advanced system that uses three microphones on each earbud. Either earbud can be used on its own, making the MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 simple and convenient to use. Improved ergonomics and a selection of ear adapters and fins ensure that these in-ear headphones are extremely comfortable to wear, all day long, while splash protection (IPX4) makes them very versatile. The design combines a sleek, futuristic look with the trademark delicate craftsmanship of the MOMENTUM series.
Details
  • Size (W x H x D): one size fits all
  • Material: plastic
  • Colour: black
Features
  • Sennheiser's signature sound thanks to the Sennheiser TrueResponse transducer system
  • Adaptive Noise Cancellation (ANC)
  • Splash-proof according to IPX4*
  • Customisable touch interface for intuitive operation
  • Supported profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP
  • Sound pressure level: 107 dB
  • ANC: Hybrid Adaptive ANC
  • Bluetooth® 5.2, Class 1
  • Supported codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX™, aptX™ adaptive
  • Frequency range: 5-21 kHz
  • Wireless charging (case)
  • Qi wireless charging
  • Power supply: 5 V⎓, 1,000 mA max.
  • Built-in lithium-ion battery (charging time: up to 90 mins.)
  • Runtime up to 7 hrs. - up to 28 hrs. with wireless charging
Included in delivery
  • Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 in-ear headphones
  • Charging case
  • USB-C charging cable
  • Silicone ear adapter sets, sizes: XS, S, M, L
  • Silicon ear fin sets, sizes: S, M, L
*Protected against splashes from any direction in accordance with the IPX4 standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back