Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 7, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #43,636 of 62,588
Mar 7, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #43,638 of 62,588
Well, I took a stab at some TWS IEMs (Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch). And I'm ... pretty ... happy with them. Definitely enjoy the charging case, the ease of use once I figured out which ear to touch :)

Call quality is fine for what I do, which is fairly minimal -- mostly using my desk phone for longer calls.

But the sound quality was just OK. Bass needed significant boost via EQ. And I don't like that -- without a good measurement rig, applying EQ is kind of like trying to steer your vessel North by Northwest without a compass at night with thick cloud cover. You can guess which way you're going, but you really don't know.

By comparison, I have a bluetooth behind-the-neck cable which I can use with my Penon Volts. And the sound comparison isn't really that close, Volts knock the Melomanias right out of the ring. Problem is the cable/Volts setup gives no control over the source, and they don't take calls.

All that said, am I wasting my time shopping for TWS IEMs, and should I really be looking for something like the UTWS-5 to use with my Volts or IT07s? Side question, since Volts are 2-pin and IT07s are mmcx, would it be better to get the UTWS in mmcx for the 07s and get mmcx-to-2-pin adapters for the Volts, or vice versa.

I guess the real question is whether I'd like some other hi-end TWS IEMS (say Senn Momentum or one of the Nobles) enough, or would I constantly miss the better sound I get from my Volts and '07s? Conversely, if I went to bluetooth amplifier/IEM combo, would issues with the ergonomics outweigh the improved sound quality?

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #43,639 of 62,588
But the sound quality was just OK. Bass needed significant boost via EQ.
You are either a serious bass-head, or you are not getting a good seal. I suspect the latter since you have the IT07. The MT have a LOT more quantity of bass than the IT07, and if you find those to have a good quantity of bass, then you just aren't getting a good seal. You wouldn't be the first. Most people don't with those in the beginning. The problem with them is that, while you CAN use regular IEM tips on them, and they will work great for getting a good seal, they don't fit into the box to charge. If you don't want to have to take the tips off each time you put them into the box, you are going to need to stick with short (TWS) tips. In my case I landed on the Spinfit CP360. The other possible trick is to go up a size larger than you would normally wear.

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #43,640 of 62,588
You are either a serious bass-head, or you are not getting a good seal. I suspect the latter since you have the IT07. The MT have a LOT more quantity of bass than the IT07, and if you find those to have a good quantity of bass, then you just aren't getting a good seal. You wouldn't be the first. Most people don't with those in the beginning. The problem with them is that, while you CAN use regular IEM tips on them, and they will work great for getting a good seal, they don't fit into the box to charge. If you don't want to have to take the tips off each time you put them into the box, you are going to need to stick with short (TWS) tips. In my case I landed on the Spinfit CP360. The other possible trick is to go up a size larger than you would normally wear.
Yes, they came with mediums installed, and I switched to large, but still less bass than Volts. I didn't compare them to IT07s since I don't have a wireless solution for them now -- wouldn't exactly be an apples-to-apples comparison.

I'm quite familiar with the seal issue -- when I first got my IT03s, I was very disappointed in the bass until I did a little tip-swapping. And I can hear a lot of differences when I adjust the Melomanias in my ear to get a better seal. But even so, sub-bass is lacking -- Hey Now by London Grammar is a pretty good example. Just a bunch of missing music if I run them with flat EQ.

Are you saying that the Spinfits can stay on them when put into the case?

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #43,641 of 62,588
Yes, they came with mediums installed, and I switched to large, but still less bass than Volts. I didn't compare them to IT07s since I don't have a wireless solution for them now -- wouldn't exactly be an apples-to-apples comparison.

I'm quite familiar with the seal issue -- when I first got my IT03s, I was very disappointed in the bass until I did a little tip-swapping. And I can hear a lot of differences when I adjust the Melomanias in my ear to get a better seal. But even so, sub-bass is lacking -- Hey Now by London Grammar is a pretty good example. Just a bunch of missing music if I run them with flat EQ.

Are you saying that the Spinfits can stay on them when put into the case?
Your right that they wouldn't be apples to apples, but just to hear the quantity of bass. The IT07 aren't bass-head levels for sure, but they have very deep and extended bass, and the MT have just..... more! I think that most (that own the MT) would agree that these are definitely bass heavy (although not in a beats/skullcandy way).

Yes, the CP360 are TWS tips (shorter than normal). They came with my Nuarl N6 Pro (IIRC). Final has a TWS version of their Type E tip that I have read are also very good. Xelestic crystals are also a TWS tip and are great for seal with their heat forming material makeup.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #43,642 of 62,588
Well, I took a stab at some TWS IEMs (Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch). And I'm ... pretty ... happy with them. Definitely enjoy the charging case, the ease of use once I figured out which ear to touch :)

Call quality is fine for what I do, which is fairly minimal -- mostly using my desk phone for longer calls.

But the sound quality was just OK. Bass needed significant boost via EQ. And I don't like that -- without a good measurement rig, applying EQ is kind of like trying to steer your vessel North by Northwest without a compass at night with thick cloud cover. You can guess which way you're going, but you really don't know.

By comparison, I have a bluetooth behind-the-neck cable which I can use with my Penon Volts. And the sound comparison isn't really that close, Volts knock the Melomanias right out of the ring. Problem is the cable/Volts setup gives no control over the source, and they don't take calls.

All that said, am I wasting my time shopping for TWS IEMs, and should I really be looking for something like the UTWS-5 to use with my Volts or IT07s? Side question, since Volts are 2-pin and IT07s are mmcx, would it be better to get the UTWS in mmcx for the 07s and get mmcx-to-2-pin adapters for the Volts, or vice versa.

I guess the real question is whether I'd like some other hi-end TWS IEMS (say Senn Momentum or one of the Nobles) enough, or would I constantly miss the better sound I get from my Volts and '07s? Conversely, if I went to bluetooth amplifier/IEM combo, would issues with the ergonomics outweigh the improved sound quality?
I imagine you do not have a good seal because the CT are ridiculously bass heavy and if anything you need to eq the low end down a few db's, and I love bass... Try different tips and make sure the seal is really good.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #43,643 of 62,588
... Are you saying that the Spinfits can stay on them when put into the case?

... the CP360 are TWS tips (shorter than normal) ....
I cannot comment on the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch or IT07 since I never used them. Thus I don't know about their cases either. I do use Spinfit CP360 with Soundpeats H1. I currently using a medium. It works well and fits in the case without issue. Everyone in a while the ear pieces dislodge or something they and case have no power. I had this issue with the stock/original tips. I do find the tips comfortable and have a better seal. My issue is that after wearing them for a while, they get warms and ear pieces get lose. If I'm eating or dipping down or something, the ear piece(s) will fall out. I've actually ordered the XL/L and will try them out to see if it solves the issue. I also think it's the ear wax gets between the tip and ear canal, which then acts a lubricant.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #43,645 of 62,588
Today we have a double review of the new Final Audio ZE3000 TWS on Headfonia. Article by @Virtu Fortuna and @Aerosphere

https://www.headfonia.com/final-audio-ze3000-review/

chrome_2022-03-08_08-23-51.png

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #43,647 of 62,588
Question to people who (still) own the B&O EQ:

Do you see a new firmware update in the app? Someone on reddit talked about a supposedly released 6.1.2 firmware update three days ago. He claimed it would include track skipping as well as multipoint which...seems a bit too good to be true :D Also, I don't see anything in my app yet (I'm on iOS). Maybe there is something on Android? Or it was just a troll of course :)

Edit: Forget it. Found it myself! And it is indeed true.

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403223166993-Beoplay-EQ-music-controls

Exciting :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #43,648 of 62,588
So, what ive read is aptX™ adaptive is not backwards compatible with apx hd. So aptx for devices that notadaptive.
My PI7, which support aptX adaptive, defaults to aptX HD with my Pixel 6. Pixel 6 doesn't support aptX adaptive. Perhaps it does not work with all devices, but I don't think you can assume it will fall back to aptX until someone has actually tried it.

Edit: could also be a case of marketing not really understanding the product...who knows. I will likely give these (MTW3) a shot so will report back if I do get them.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #43,649 of 62,588
My PI7, which support aptX adaptive, defaults to aptX HD with my Pixel 6. Pixel 6 doesn't support aptX adaptive. Perhaps it does not work with all devices, but I don't think you can assume it will fall back to aptX until someone has actually tried it.

Edit: could also be a case of marketing not really understanding the product...who knows. I will likely give these (MTW3) a shot so will report back if I do get them.
ok, thanks. I remember the truewireless plus thing, then you needed specific chipset, firmware, updates etc etc. No option to return in ears here, so once bought you better he happy with them. Like the mtw2, so would be interesting how these compares.

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #43,650 of 62,588
Question to people who (still) own the B&O EQ:

Do you see a new firmware update in the app? Someone on reddit talked about a supposedly released 6.1.2 firmware update three days ago. He claimed it would include track skipping as well as multipoint which...seems a bit too good to be true :D Also, I don't see anything in my app yet (I'm on iOS). Maybe there is something on Android? Or it was just a troll of course :)

Edit: Forget it. Found it myself! And it is indeed true.

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403223166993-Beoplay-EQ-music-controls

Exciting :)
Wow, after all this time, they actually listened. I may consider going back to the EQ considering that I wrote to the CEO specifically for those two features :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back