Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 1, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #39,781 of 62,439
Note any TWS solution or independent left right adapter will never achieve the level of detail your used to. The technology is still very much a trade off between convenience and sound quality.

I'm slowly coming to terms with this, but where's the limitation? Is it because the L/R are always slightly out of phase due to dual DAC? I'm not listening to lossless audio either, just spotify premium on highest preset, while at move.

Re: AZ70, aren't they using the same dynamic driver as the Panasonic RZ-S500WE I currently own? I was actually thinking whether I should look for balanced armature TWSs, but from my research, these are mostly unknown brands from China.

In any case, thank you very much for your comments. I'll try to find somewhere I can listen to the AZ60 or AZ70

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #39,782 of 62,439
Has anyone noticed WiFi throttling while using LDAC? It's been a while since I've used LDAC but previously I used my Note 9 with the MDR-1000X and a 20mbps connection is that wifi slows a fair bit when using LDAC (720p on YouTube is okay but 1080p60 or 1440p videos become slow to buffer).

Samsung Scalable seems to do the opposite. It throttles the bitrate when there is WiFi congestion, and it is terrible on my Buds2 at home with WiFi connected. The treble starts to sound compressed intermittently, and the audio sometimes slows and speeds up. AAC sounds cleaner but has its share of issues including the fact that you must always go into developer options to enable it upon each connection. I started noticing the same problem on the Buds+, but then it seemed be not as bad as the Buds2, so I wonder if a firmware update or something with the Wearables App is screwing things up. Someone suggested I delete all Bluetooth data and use an old version of Wearables.

Even though the Note 9 is near the end of its life cycle it's still disappointing to see such issues between products of the same brand. I had the same problem with Sony when Xperia Z5 had LDAC connectivity issues with the MDR-1000X, but was discontinued such that they did not bring a firmware fix they had brought to the later phones.

Not being able to use transparency with one ear is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I was looking forward to the Liberty 3 Pro until I heard of this issue and the fact that Anker does not want to change it. Also the Earfun Free Pro 2. On Airoha, it should be able to change this setting (TaoTronics SoundLiberty 94 defaults to ambient when using one ear) and if you have AirReps156x you could force it to enable transparency on one ear but it is cumbersome and the system does not remember it.

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #39,783 of 62,439
Has anyone noticed WiFi throttling while using LDAC? It's been a while since I've used LDAC but previously I used my Note 9 with the MDR-1000X and a 20mbps connection is that wifi slows a fair bit when using LDAC (720p on YouTube is okay but 1080p60 or 1440p videos become slow to buffer).

Samsung Scalable seems to do the opposite. It throttles the bitrate when there is WiFi congestion, and it is terrible on my Buds2 at home with WiFi connected. The treble starts to sound compressed intermittently, and the audio sometimes slows and speeds up. AAC sounds cleaner but has its share of issues including the fact that you must always go into developer options to enable it upon each connection. I started noticing the same problem on the Buds+, but then it seemed be not as bad as the Buds2, so I wonder if a firmware update or something with the Wearables App is screwing things up. Someone suggested I delete all Bluetooth data and use an old version of Wearables.

Even though the Note 9 is near the end of its life cycle it's still disappointing to see such issues between products of the same brand. I had the same problem with Sony when Xperia Z5 had LDAC connectivity issues with the MDR-1000X, but was discontinued such that they did not bring a firmware fix they had brought to the later phones.

Not being able to use transparency with one ear is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I was looking forward to the Liberty 3 Pro until I heard of this issue and the fact that Anker does not want to change it. Also the Earfun Free Pro 2. On Airoha, it should be able to change this setting (TaoTronics SoundLiberty 94 defaults to ambient when using one ear) and if you have AirReps156x you could force it to enable transparency on one ear but it is cumbersome and the system does not remember it.

On my rog phone 5 (using WF-1000XM4 LDAC, set to 990kbps) the Bluetooth signal becomes intermittent as soon I switched on the wifi on my phone, but doesn't slow the wifi connection. It happens when I'm using location service on my phone as well.

Dec 1, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #39,784 of 62,439
I'm slowly coming to terms with this, but where's the limitation? Is it because the L/R are always slightly out of phase due to dual DAC? I'm not listening to lossless audio either, just spotify premium on highest preset, while at move.

Re: AZ70, aren't they using the same dynamic driver as the Panasonic RZ-S500WE I currently own? I was actually thinking whether I should look for balanced armature TWSs, but from my research, these are mostly unknown brands from China.

In any case, thank you very much for your comments. I'll try to find somewhere I can listen to the AZ60 or AZ70
The AZ70 uses a different karger driver than the S500, not sure about the AZ60 in regards to its driver.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #39,786 of 62,439
Been testing out the Comfobuds Pro (Aurora Blue) and the Liberty 2 Pros over the past 1-2 weeks.

Liking the Comfobuds - this is embarrassingly my first experience with ANC and I like it. But I'm not liking the stem design. Love how bright sounding the Liberty's are BUT lack of features kill it for me. Plus, the low-end on both of these is just not enough for me. Call me a bass head. Swapped out the stock tips on both with the Spinfit CP360s. I'll be returning both as I haven't fallen in love and want something that I can really feeeeeel the music with.

Any recommendations??

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #39,787 of 62,439
AZ60 uses a new 8mm biocellulose driver. AZ70 uses a 10mm graphene coated Peek driver.

I am no true audiophile but in my limited session so far with AZ60, their sound to me is similar to my Moondrop Aria in tonality.
Ya, you can certainly eq it to sound somewhat close in tonality to the Aria. Bass response is similar. Albeit all the differences of wired to tws exist but ya... I can see that man

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #39,788 of 62,439
Ya, you can certainly eq it to sound somewhat close in tonality to the Aria. Bass response is similar. Albeit all the differences of wired to tws exist but ya... I can see that man
Correct. My brief listening with LDAC and ultra HD stream from Amazon, definitely seemed to add some space to the sound opening it up and giving a bit more dynamics.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #39,789 of 62,439
Been testing out the Comfobuds Pro (Aurora Blue) and the Liberty 2 Pros over the past 1-2 weeks.

Liking the Comfobuds - this is embarrassingly my first experience with ANC and I like it. But I'm not liking the stem design. Love how bright sounding the Liberty's are BUT lack of features kill it for me. Plus, the low-end on both of these is just not enough for me. Call me a bass head. Swapped out the stock tips on both with the Spinfit CP360s. I'll be returning both as I haven't fallen in love and want something that I can really feeeeeel the music with.

Any recommendations??
I don’t love the stem design but I’ll take that since they are so comfortable and can basically be my go-to for music and calls throughout the day.
And yes, they are not bass cannons but I find the bass just right for my taste.
Do you find the bass lacking even with the Bass Booster 1 preset?

Edit: tried the Bass Booster 1 and it’s a muddy mess. The Bass Booster 2 preset is much better but brings the treble down so lacks sparkle for me. My favourite is Acoustic 1 preset.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #39,791 of 62,439
Fiio UTWS5 available to pre-order

https://hifigo.com/collections/fiio/products/fiio-utws5

already has two reviews from people who haven't received them yet lol
I was about to say there is at least one member on here who has the UTWS5 in their possession already (AliExpress has had them on sale for a while). But yeah, the use of future tense or mix of present and future tense kind of says they haven't received them.

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #39,792 of 62,439
I received my NiceHCK HB2 adapters today. The good is that they do come with all adapters included: MMCX, recessed 2-pin, and a QDC or TFZ 2-pin all in the box. I don't remember the TRN coming with the adapters in the box (only the one you purchased it with). The bad: it's missing a case and there is an audible hiss if nothing is playing. Outside of that, they sound fine, I tested them with my HiFiMan RE1000 and Drop Plus IEMs which both use a recessed port which my other adapters don't seem to work with (though I haven't tested the 2-pin TRN yet since I don't own them).

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #39,793 of 62,439
They have been on AliExpress for weeks, pity no aptX-HD or LDAC so it will roll back to aptX on phones that do not have aptX-Adaptive and the 8 hours battery is not that good, some others earloops have 15 hours and even some buds have 15 hours.

Would be a downgrade from my FiiO Neckband which has LDAC and aptX-HD + more codec plus 24 hours battery.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #39,795 of 62,439
I ordered the UTWS5 today, directly from FiiO store on AliExpress. I hope it will play well with my new FiiO FH5s, they are just coming out of 200 hours of burn in, and they sound cool! (Qudelix 5K + twisted 4-core copper cable + bass switch set to ON). My phone has aptX Adaptive. It's just that I will receive it around December 28 :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back