Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #39,226 of 62,440
Well that's not totally true about everything else a distant second. :) If they dropped connection all the time you would ditch them.

Up to you. Not sure about the price difference and conversion. It was the first one I think I paid more for buying from Japan. Usually cheaper but shorter on the warranty but also you get it weeks or months earlier depending. I guess I still got them quite earlier and @$185 with the DHL it might still be the same price if they are $169 here plus tax. I see here in the US the CKS5TW is not discontinued and the SQ1, which AT US just got in this fall, was first out on Amazon JP in October of 2020 so a year till that showed up here. We got the first review on Amazon Japan...

"5.0 out of 5 stars Personally wireless earphones are earphones that put an end to the swamp.
Reviewed in Japan on November 9, 2021
Color: Biege Verified Purchase
This is an obediently good earphone.
The battery lasted as long as a dumplings, and it was not a common fraud notation.
The sound quality is very clear with no strange noise from the minimum volume to the loud volume, and the bass is comfortable.
The bass is stronger than the previous SOLID BASS series ATH-CKS5TW, but there is no comparison because the noise was severe and the bass was vulgar in the first place.

And this may not be helpful because it is individual differences, but I was impressed with the wearing feeling too perfect.
Thanks to this, the effectiveness of ANC is also strong.

Until now, I purchased a large number of earphones with a battery of 10 hours or more, and I was not satisfied with the sound quality and wearing comfort and I was addicted to the earphone swamp, but finally put an end to this CKS50TW I will.
If it breaks, it was a product of the level that I wanted to repeat again.

Points I noticed in the postscript ◆ The volume is lower compared to other earphones in my possession. It is about 65% for CKS50TW to produce 50% volume with other earphones on PC. For those who like roast sounds, this point seems to affect the battery life.
However, the ratings are still good earphones."

Translated from Japanese by Amazon

I agree. Not that I had the CKS5TW but read that it is quite balanced so that fits there is actually more bass this time. The volume is also not the highest but also there might be that little bug that that I got where the volume did not change till a reset. They will still not be the loudest but more in between. Not sure, other than the CKS5TW, what other models they have had. Nice that you find them the one that makes you happy over the others but which ones? Though I am on board. Happy to stick with these for a while.
Hahaha... Yes... You are correct. I suppose I should have said a slightly distant 2nd.

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #39,227 of 62,440
Technics is a good set. I did need the drivers to settle a bit as out of the box these get congested in complicated tracks. Anyways the technics are nice.
I did take the filter sponge out of the tips that come stock and you may want to do that as well. They have this little sponge in every tip and it really dulls the upper mids and treble... Weird
Exactly why I don't like things in the way of the sound path, don't really care what it is. To me it's like getting a great set of floor standers and then placing a potted plant or a table right in front of it.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #39,228 of 62,440
I'm really liking the 1more Comfobuds, they really feel like what I want in a bud. In a perfect world the sound would've been even better and more hi-fi, but they feel like my "no-brainer" earbud that I don't have to think about much. They just sound good and balanced and the call quality is good enough to not have to be stressed taking a call with them, and they're really comfortable. I reach for them more than my Devialet Gemini's right now, which for less than 1/3 of the price is not bad at all. With that said they don't necessarily sound better than the Devialet Gemini, but I think the sound signature is slightly more my type of sound.

Same for me. I was spending a good few days between them and the Sennheiser CX 400BT, including many hours on calls and while the latter does some things better the overall sound of the Comfobuds Pro is more to my liking. Add the ANC and Ambient with call quality and the Wind Reduction feature and it's a winner when out and about.
I find the Acoustics 1 and Acoustics 2 to be my favorites pre-sets for most genres that I listen to but the Deep pre-sets is good for hip-hop and electronic music very nicely.
For me, although technically not the best I do get some hi-fi vibes if the source is good even while streaming (using LiveXLive).

I think they punch well above their weight and I also feel like them a lot because it's my ideal sound signature and as a whole product they work very well.
I paid $50 before tax and at this price range it's a no brainer. Even at $125 I still think they can give some other TWS a good run for their money.

Compared to the CA MT for example they have less exciting sound but clearer mids and much more balanced.
Listening to rock and alternative I can easily hear the lyrics and the mids while on the CA MT they were somewhat muffled.

Another option if you like the sound signature is the Fiil T1XS and I'm suspecting they use the same chipset. Controls are also somewhat similar with the double-tap, triple-tap etc. but the Fiil have no ANC, ambient is a touch worse and but they have full eq and pre-sets and when they go on major sale on Amazon they are $27 it's another no brainer option.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #39,229 of 62,440
Technics is a good set. I did need the drivers to settle a bit as out of the box these get congested in complicated tracks. Anyways the technics are nice. They don't have the tonality of the M1+ but they are nice. I wouldn't say they are great yet. They imo Def need some eq'ing, not as much as the LP3 but they need it. It's all trial and error buy and return in this tws hobby. No one has gotten it perfectly right as I have complaints about the Technics for sure. I am like you, I care first about SQ and everything else is a distant second. I was surprised you thought M1 and M1+ were so close in SQ. I found them to be a good measure apart. Oh well, Im just glad you went with a very well rounded set in the AZ60. They really can be eq'd to the top tier in SQ. Again, let the drivers burn in and settle and just like the M1+ these drivers take a good week to open up for some reason. I wrestled with taking these back for a bit until one day the AZ60 started to wow me. I did take the filter sponge out of the tips that come stock and you may want to do that as well. They have this little sponge in every tip and it really dulls the upper mids and treble... Weird
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

I will receive the Technics tomorrow afternoon and, of course, I will give them 15 days, as I will give to the M1+
I am eligible for returning any of them, until January, 2022.

Regarding my Melomania 1+ set, I am surprised, as well. Not with how they sound, as I did not have any prior experience with them, but with some other things. First of all, I struggled to update to the latest Firmware. The left bud got updated straight away; for the right one I was getting errors, until it finally got updated. Then I tried to change the Audio Mode to Low Power, to explore it, and it struggled and gave me an error... Another thing is that they lose connection with my phone, as soon as I will leave the room! With my Melomania 1 this does not happen, I go upstairs and they keep the connection. Maybe I need a factory reset? I don't know. Oh, and my M1+ sound kinda quiet, my M1 sound louder. Anyway, we'll see...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #39,230 of 62,440
Glad to find this thread, it's been interesting reading everyone's opinions. I decided a few weeks ago to replace the Airpod Pros, and it's been helpful. I have tried a few so far...

Beoplay EQ
Just got these in. The metal case feels premium and is very compact. Earbuds themselves also look and feel very premium. First impressions were great. Maybe easier if I bullet the rest of my impressions.

• Volume is low. I need about 80 - 90% volume to equal 50 - 60% volume on the Devialet Gemini.
  • Sound is good, feel like there is good separation and detail in the music. But sometimes I feel like maybe these are under amped. Switching back to the Gemini feels like a boost in dynamics or dynamic range. Still, the sound quality with the EQ feels more nuanced and it is intriguing.
  • Fit is great. I like that the buds are positioned in my ears with the touch controls facing outward naturally. The Gemini have the touch controls pointing a little towards my back and it's not super natural to find them easily.
  • Touch controls are pretty sensitive. Easy to accidentally press them when adjusting the earbuds.
  • Stock tips are meh. Using Azla Xlastec for now. Stems are pretty narrow compared to others. The fit doesn't seem to be quite as deep as I'd like it to be, although just going by stem length it should be. For comparison, they don't fit as deep as i can get the XM4s.
  • ANC is okay. Below the XM4 and the Gemini. However, the ANC does better than both of those are blocking out wind noise while walking outside. That's pretty cool.
  • No skip track control on the buds is stupid. They could easily add more controls than they have now.
  • When you resume after pausing, the earbuds don't start at the exact same time. One comes on a split second before the other.
The volume thing may have me return them. Still undecided.

Devialet Gemini
Plastic case and build. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing stand out about it. Fit is great for me, using Final E tips right now. They do fit back in the case with the Final tips but it's tight. Stock tips fit decent as well. These get loud, sound quality is good. Very punchy sound. EQ in app is nice, I have it set flat right now as i find the default sound pretty good. May play with it more later.

ANC was surprisingly great. I go back and forth on this versus the XM4 for who has the better ANC. Controls are okay, but the touch pad is kinda small and hard to hit sometimes. The earbuds sometimes don't auto pause when removing one, but that's not a big deal to me.

Bose QuietComfort Earbuds
These went on sale for $199 so I said why not. Out of the box, sound was horrid. Hollow, bizarre sound signature that was just bad. After downloading a firmware update, it added an in app EQ and that helped some. I'd still rank these last in music, but they're not terrible anymore. ANC is very good. Fit on these is kinda weird, the StayHear tips are great in concept, but I feel like the size M is a little big on the hook part, and the size S is a little small on the ear tip part. I may need some kind of size between S and M and I don't think that exists.

Case and earbuds are both large. Earbuds are light weight though and don't move around. These were decent for running, setting a low ANC level to still be aware of traffic but eliminate the internal foot step pounding sound you can get with ANC.

Touch controls are good, I think this is the only one where I can skip track, play/pause, change volume and change ANC. Most others seem to omit one or more of those.

Sony XM4
These also went on sale, so....Out of the box, sound was somewhat muddy or just overly warm. Was not a fan of the stock tips, they just didn't work for me. They didn't work for me with the Z1R either. Final E type and Xlastec both seem to work well, I go back and forth on which I like best. The case is deep enough to fit the Final E tips just fine.

Case and earbuds are plastic, but feel well made. Case is nice and compact, although not quite as compact as the EQs. Comfort is good for me, and I can get a nice deep fit which is great.

After some EQ in the app, the sound is more to my tastes. I put them behind the Gemini, but they're not bad at all and aren't that far behind. But switching back and forth with these and the Gemini, I can tell there is still some congestion in the XM4 despite my best attempts at EQ. ANC is great. Touch controls are good. The XM4 strike me as the all rounder here that can do everything well. Like the Toyota Camry or sensible choice. Gemini could also fill that role, with better SQ and less ergonomics.

When you put these in, they announce Bluetooth Connected and then the battery life for each earbud does, separately. This is handy i guess, but it's also a little annoying to wait a couple seconds each time i put them in.

I didn't have any technical issues with any of these, at least not yet. All connect fast, no dropped connections. PI7 was/is on the list to try, but 4 hours battery life and high price has me on the fence. AZ60 looks interesting too, but I dunno. The Beoplay EQ I feel could be the ones, but the volume thing bugs me. I'm on iPhone, so it could be different with Android I suppose. The smart move would probably be keep the Gemini or XM4 and have those do everything.

All of the above here handily beat the Airpods Pro, but that may be at least partly due to fit with the Airpods. Never sure if i've got a great seal with them, or just an okay seal.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #39,231 of 62,440
Just wanted to write a little blurb. I returned my Jabra E7P's I hated the fit and although they sounded better than my 75t's and connected a little quicker etc, I just couldn't justify the $200 price tag. I picked up the Sennheiser MTW 2's for $199 and damn, these things are an all around killer! Anyone else own these? I think I read something on here about how someone liked the sound quality of the version 1's better? The app is fantastic, controls, fit both great and the transparency mode and ANC are both top notch. i've heard great things about the Devialet Gemini's but I don't think i'm ready for a $300 commitment.

Edit: I wish they went louder :)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #39,232 of 62,440
Ordered the Comfobuds Pro in Aurora Blue from Aliexpress for £46 after all the various discounts.

Couldn't say no at that price (had them in black previously and really liked the sound, fit and ANC/ambient, but returned because of lack of eq) even though I'm pretty happy with the Earfun Air Pro 2 I picked up this week.
Nice, I also got the blue ones, but I am still wondering if all blue are the 22 preset Aurora blue.
Also managed to get the Soundpeats H1 for 39.07$ … somehow I recall them being over 80$ usually?
Was contemplating the Edifier Neobuds but for weird reasons the official edifier store won’t ship THAT model to Japan! Other stores do but charge more
And for some strange reasons the liberty 3 pro are quite expensive on AliExpress …

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #39,234 of 62,440
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

I will receive the Technics tomorrow afternoon and, of course, I will give them 15 days, as I will give to the M1+
I am eligible for returning any of them, until January, 2022.

Regarding my Melomania 1+ set, I am surprised, as well. Not with how they sound, as I did not have any prior experience with them, but with some other things. First of all, I struggled to update to the latest Firmware. The left bud got updated straight away; for the right one I was getting errors, until it finally got updated. Then I tried to change the Audio Mode to Low Power, to explore it, and it struggled and gave me an error... Another thing is that they lose connection with my phone, as soon as I will leave the room! With my Melomania 1 this does not happen, I go upstairs and they keep the connection. Maybe I need a factory reset? I don't know. Oh, and my M1+ sound kinda quiet, my M1 sound louder. Anyway, we'll see...
So the M1+ are the top 3 loudest earbuds I have. They are stupid loud. Those amps are very nice. So something is wrong man. Believe me when I say it... I listen very loud and I like earbuds that get way louder so that I have headroom. The M1+ are ridiculously loud in volume. Did you disable absolute volume and turn them up allt he way on the earbuds? Sorry if that is a stupid question because I cannot turn these things up past 80% and that is really freaking loud. I'm sorry you are having issues. I have heard of many people having connection issues with the MT's but I have those and have never had any issues, the same as my M1+. Anyways I really do hope they come together because the m1+ are a fantastic set... Imo

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #39,237 of 62,440
How are the AZ60's when it comes to loudness?
The AZ60's are not as loud as the M1+. I actually had to eq them louder, the good thing is that in doing that the drivers did not distort and handled bumping them up very well. Still not as loud as the Cambridge. And I just realized I answered this twice... Lol... Sorry

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #39,240 of 62,440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back