Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #39,256 of 62,419
I'm actually going back and forth with the XM4 and AZ60s today. I prefer the sound of the AZ60. ANC is great on both. I've never had good luck with wind and ANC headphones, so I always turn off the ANC. But we don't have gusty winds here in Los Angeles often. AZ60 buds are a bit smaller than the XM4. Sony has a few other features that for me, might sway one who had neither - wireless charging and auto pause when you take the buds out. Plus a slew of other tech features. Don't get me wrong, the Technics are great. It was only a matter of time before Sony and Technics nailed it. Both of these are great choice, with the AZ60 having an edge for music. I'm sure the next gen of these will be even better.
Hopefully you are using the tips formerly known as Sonys on the XM4s. Night and day for my over stock and ended up keeping my XM4s :)

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #39,257 of 62,419
Oddly enough, I put on some Large Devialet tips and they feel like I'm wearing nothing. Stock tips were awful.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #39,258 of 62,419
I'm actually going back and forth with the XM4 and AZ60s today. I prefer the sound of the AZ60. ANC is great on both. I've never had good luck with wind and ANC headphones, so I always turn off the ANC. But we don't have gusty winds here in Los Angeles often. AZ60 buds are a bit smaller than the XM4. Sony has a few other features that for me, might sway one who had neither - wireless charging and auto pause when you take the buds out. Plus a slew of other tech features. Don't get me wrong, the Technics are great. It was only a matter of time before Sony and Technics nailed it. Both of these are great choice, with the AZ60 having an edge for music. I'm sure the next gen of these will be even better.
Addendum to this: The Sony do have much better ANC. I have a fan here that kicked in because the gates of Hell have opened up here in LA. Sonys knocked the fan right out. Technics not so much even after tweaking the ANC setting.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #39,259 of 62,419
Addendum to this: The Sony do have much better ANC. I have a fan here that kicked in because the gates of Hell have opened up here in LA. Sonys knocked the fan right out. Technics not so much even after tweaking the ANC setting.
The features on the Sony's really rock in my opinion. I really like the one touch ambient feature with the transitioning back into audio after and not just blasting it back into your ears. Tips are definitely the keys to success along with the EQ happy path mentioned by Assassin above. Definitely my utility headphones for flights etc. On a side note, I am secretly intrigued to try out those Denons (Japan only right now) too. Should have my in laws mail those and the Panasonics to me, but then I would be stuck with them.

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #39,260 of 62,419
Agreed. Looking at those Denon, but man, why did they have to go and imitate the APP style :frowning2:. Granted, I'm sure the blow the APP away in sound quality. I used to love my many Denon receivers back in the day.

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #39,261 of 62,419
The features on the Sony's really rock in my opinion. I really like the one touch ambient feature with the transitioning back into audio after and not just blasting it back into your ears. Tips are definitely the keys to success along with the EQ happy path mentioned by Assassin above. Definitely my utility headphones for flights etc. On a side note, I am secretly intrigued to try out those Denons (Japan only right now) too. Should have my in laws mail those and the Panasonics to me, but then I would be stuck with them.
Of course, you might want to try the Denon for the sound but they are not feature rich and the word on them is the ANC is not really very effective. Sounds like the AZ60 is better for sound and ANC. Denon does seem to have a bigger stage but other things are not quite as good.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #39,263 of 62,419
Hey all, as previously mentioned, I'm going to be taking some time off from IEMs to let my tinnitus settle down. Conventional wisdom is IEMS are bad for tinnitus however, it appears speakers are a safer alternative. Going off topic but can anyone recommend a nice desktop hifi setup or BT speakers? Nothing full sized. Just for my desk. I'll probably just stream via Tidal or something like that. I have some sonos which is fine but was thinking of going a bit higher fidelity. Recommendations are appreciated. Hope to be back soon - I already miss this place!
FWIW: The AirPods 3rd gen are almost as open back HPs. Even if the are IEMs, they could be an option too?
(We miss you too:))

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #39,264 of 62,419
Nov 12, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #39,265 of 62,419
Mifo S...
Ha07eccad05c94436a9a00e720ecc7245C.jpg

H9178e4039d2b4ff9b2a7ba47275c9295O.jpg

At least for Chi-Fi it does have ambient and ANC. :)
1636758628336.png

No aptX but does do LHDC. IPX7 for an ANC model is surprising. BA though. Not sure they would have both dynamic and armature in this model since they went armature for the 3.5 gram weight and small size for the sleep mode /flush fit.
Hb07da75b88f041eeac72a04258ebaa17z.jpg

https://www.qucox.com/mifo-s-review/

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #39,266 of 62,419
HAHAHAHA. So true! Great episode this week :).
Is it better than the books? I liked the premise but didn't the style of it. Felt too much like an anthology. I don't like the concept of anthology - I'd rather have a single story/plot.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #39,267 of 62,419
Mifo S...
Ha07eccad05c94436a9a00e720ecc7245C.jpg

H9178e4039d2b4ff9b2a7ba47275c9295O.jpg

At least for Chi-Fi it does have ambient and ANC. :)
1636758628336.png

No aptX but does do LHDC. IPX7 for an ANC model is surprising. BA though. Not sure they would have both dynamic and armature in this model since they went armature for the 3.5 gram weight and small size for the sleep mode /flush fit.
Hb07da75b88f041eeac72a04258ebaa17z.jpg

https://www.qucox.com/mifo-s-review/
165$ from AliExpress, quite expensive for this brand

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #39,268 of 62,419
Is it better than the books? I liked the premise but didn't the style of it. Felt too much like an anthology. I don't like the concept of anthology - I'd rather have a single story/plot.
IMO, nothing is better than a book. I've never read the books for this one though.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #39,269 of 62,419
165$ from AliExpress, quite expensive for this brand
Yes. Cool idea for a full featured sports and sleep bud but needs a good execution. Really flush buds with ANC and calls being good is tough as is fitting and removing them with that size and touch controls. They are $150 for 11.11 though. Any takers??:)

Also, I am selling my Jabra Elite 3. Figure I'd mention it here first before putting a FS thread and an ebay listings tomorrow. Remember they are the overachiever with some liking the call quality as much or better than the 7 models and they have aptX and with that don't sound any worse being $100 cheaper. Nicer shape for me and some others, they have no ambient switching niggles and the track controls do migrate for both L and R single side use.

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #39,270 of 62,419
See the WF-1000XM4 on sale in Canada for $350. But I am still leaning toward the AZ60. I keep reading reviews where they say the Sony are more musical. But I struggle because I find the 1000XM3 to dark and the XM4 is supposed to be even darker sounding. So how does that translate to more musical?

Sony holds the edge is features and ANC but aside from that the AZ60 seems to offer what I think would be a better music experience.

Has anyone tried the AZ60 in wind? Technics claims they have resolved wind issues which is a HUGE thing for me as I live in a place with lots of wind. So I want a headphone that blocks the wind when listening to music and when on the phone.

I have the AZ70 and find it is OK with wind when listening to music but generally have to disable ANC in anything above low wind level or the wind messes with the mics. Still it is better then the WF-1000XM3. I also have the Samsung Buds Pro which handles wind very well but has less effective ANC.
I owned the xm4 and I own the AZ60. Personally I feel the AZ60 is much better. The anc is very close, I don't think the xm4 is miles ahead at all. Sound wise I'd take the AZ60's any day. The AZ60 have a nice musical sound as well and better bass. I founf the xm4 to be very lacking in that dept. I don't know if this helps at all because everyone is different but I did not like the xm4's at all. Something was missing in the sound to me.i liked the fit, had a great seal and eq'd them the best I could but something was missing. I will say that I did have to eq the AZ60 a bit as well, I went with different tips then stock as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back