Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #35,536 of 62,436
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #35,537 of 62,436
So regarding Nothing it wasn't clear (pun intended) if the tips attach to a stem or magnetically a la APP? And whether the EQ options are all fixed or you can manually adjust your own. Nice design but at the $99 price point I would still not expect it to compete with the more expensive top TWS out there. And apart from the transparent design I don't see it bringing anything "new" to the table although it is a nice feature set at that price point.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #35,538 of 62,436
So regarding Nothing it wasn't clear (pun intended) if the tips attach to a stem or magnetically a la APP? And whether the EQ options are all fixed or you can manually adjust your own. Nice design but at the $99 price point I would still not expect it to compete with the more expensive top TWS out there. And apart from the transparent design I don't see it bringing anything "new" to the table although it is a nice feature set at that price point.
In so far as the EQ, it does have customizable options. From their page:
Customise equalizers, gestures, Find My Earbud, and more with the ear (1) app, available on iOS and Android.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #35,539 of 62,436
Fwiw the driver is a rather huge 11.6mm. But then it's tuned by a bunch of teenagers...

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #35,541 of 62,436
In so far as the EQ, it does have customizable options. From their page:

Jumping to 38:58 in the presentation video shows this. But the app is still in Beta and not final. But customizable options could mean just various presets to chose from.

screenshot_27.png

Jul 27, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #35,542 of 62,436
Jul 27, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #35,543 of 62,436
good point....do the "sport" model add that much to the regular MW08 that justify $50 price delta?
Sappire instead of ceramic housing, and kevlar case, looks like
They’re appealing to the upper middle class who value form and design For sure, always have with their headphones too. Thats just too much for sporting earbuds, their MW07 GO were a much better attempt, nice pricepoint and sound.

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #35,544 of 62,436
I think always is a strong word for a 2nd gen product. They could do anything, especially after recently hiring a slew of Bowers & Wilkins senior engineers (which they have).
I'm predicting Apple will do the usual Apple thing: put out a product that makes no sense and convince you why you not only need to buy it, but it should have been a staple in your house yesterday.

I miss Steve.
Agreed! The Lypertek PurePlay Z7 delivers audiophile quality for on the go. Find out why we're recommending this TWS IEM, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/lypertek-pureplay-z7-review/
Great to see you here! Hope you stick around. Nice to have a reviewer or few for perspective on things. You're more than welcome to join in.
good point....do the "sport" model add that much to the regular MW08 that justify $50 price delta?
M&D has been doing the design firm thing for a while now. Most likely just an excuse to put a couple new shells out and maybe one extra feature.

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #35,545 of 62,436
Seems to also add (a) wireless charging (which the metal case didn't permit), and (b) two pairs of foam tips (which I'd love to get for my MW08s -- but they aren't yet listed on their "accessories" page).

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #35,546 of 62,436
I also do feel they sound a tiny bit brighter.
Seemingly brighter on my end too. They also fixed a whoosh sound I'd hear if I had DSEE Extreme on auto and paused/played. Happy camper here!

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #35,547 of 62,436
Not entirely sure what M&D is thinking here:

https://www.masterdynamic.com/products/mw08-sport-active-noise-cancelling-true-wireless-earphones

Raising the price is a bold move. They look cool enough but I don’t see these selling at that price.
Do they even have their own app already?
At this price it's a hard pass for me.

EDIT: OK, so they added wireless charging and two pairs of foam tips - Yay. Still looks like a money grab to me and they won't move too many of them for the new retail price.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #35,548 of 62,436
Do they even have their own app already?
At this price it's a hard pass for me.

EDIT: OK, so they added wireless charging and two pairs of foam tips - Yay. Still looks like a money grab to me and they won't move too many of them for the new retail price.
Could be an act of desperation.

I was reading the glassdoor for M&D and the employees were saying the company is likely finished due to some poor decisions. I was intruiged after listening to their mW65 which are hilariously bad for the price, wasn’t surprised to find things were a mess.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #35,549 of 62,436
So my local Best Buy actually shows them having the WF1000XM4 in stock now. I might try them out, since I'm already going to be in the area of this store. I've always found Best Buy's returns to be easy if I end up not liking them. I just hope I can get them to sound how I'd want them with the Sony headphones app EQ. I'd rather not have to use wavelet.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #35,550 of 62,436
Could be an act of desperation.

I was reading the glassdoor for M&D and the employees were saying the company is likely finished due to some poor decisions. I was intruiged after listening to their mW65 which are hilariously bad for the price, wasn’t surprised to find things were a mess.
Sad to hear as I don’t wish any company to go down under.
I demoed an older model a couple of years ago and it was ridiculously bad with very noticeable floor noise to the point it was almost deemed unusable. Funny enough it was more than one pair. Not sure how it even passed QA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back