Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 26, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #35,521 of 61,363
I dont think the connection is the weak point, up to a limit. The Pi7 and Nobles actually sound really good, wired or not, so they prove that even within a wireless limitation you can produce an iem that sounds great. The other sub par tws are not a sign of codecs but likely the acoustic design. Thats why its possible that Apple, who now have more money to dump into iems than likely sennheiser & campfire audio combined, owing to their absurd airpod profits, could make something special.
I've been in this (hi-fi) hobby enough to say that companies' money doesn't change much when audio quality is the main point. Apple and Sony will put their efforts on features, others will aim for audio quality.
Bluetooth actually is a bottleneck, I've been having connection issues with both PI7 and XM4 (PI7 mostly).

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #35,522 of 61,363
I've been in this (hi-fi) hobby enough to say that companies' money doesn't change much when audio quality is the main point. Apple and Sony will put their efforts on features, others will aim for audio quality.
Bluetooth actually is a bottleneck, I've been having connection issues with both PI7 and XM4 (PI7 mostly).
Oh right you mean in the reliability sense, for sure.

And I hear you on the money front. Im just hoping tbh, to be fair I dont think there has ever been a point in history when a company has this much profit from iems so maybe the extra money will help. lol

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #35,523 of 61,363
Yeah, now that I’m using the BT-W3, and in turn AptX and HD, the Bluetooth stutters on the PI7 are annoying. I found/find direct AAC more reliable; and the hiccups are less painful. Trying to ensure I don’t block the dongle…it doesn’t like that much.

I wonder if it's the PI7 or the Creative that doesn't like the portability/blocking line of sight

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #35,524 of 61,363
Yeah, now that I’m using the BT-W3, and in turn AptX and HD, the Bluetooth stutters on the PI7 are horrendous. I found/find direct AAC more reliable; and the hiccups are less painful. Trying to ensure I don’t block the dongle…it doesn’t like that much.
oh lord that sounds irritating af. At this point about as inconvenient as wired iems, and you can get some very good ones for £400 too…

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #35,525 of 61,363
oh lord that sounds irritating af. At this point about as inconvenient as wired iems, and you can get some very good ones for £400 too…
Ok, had a bad few minutes there. It’s not so terrible most of the time. When it happens it’s annoying. I just won’t walk as far away.
I think they sound amazing almost all the time. I shouldn’t have said “horrendous “. I’m surprised by the hiccups but the sound on these is remarkable.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #35,526 of 61,363
Studs are more secure, anyway. The Crystal should help. If not those, then the TW00. It's kind of a one-two solution for me regarding fit at this point. A few sets prefer the kind of shroud that's on the ADV M5, but I can usually get a fit with most sets using the two I mentioned.

My recommendation is really going to come down to what you think is more important. The MT will more likely have a sound signature you can immediately appreciate. The FITS and Technics both take sitting time; FITS for their neutrality, Technics for the treble emphasis. Get last that and feed them the right content, though, and both will definitely impress. Pass on the Technics if you plan to do any sort of physical activity with them. You won't want to drop one of these buds.
Awesome, thanks for the (ahem) tips. I'll start checking prices for the Crystal and the TW00. I'm in Canada, so they may be a little tough to source. I can be a bit of a klutz at times, so I may be shying away from the Technics. The FITS are interesting, but the MTs are gaining ground on the Z7s. My final choice is also dependant upon which brands the store I bought the Z7s carry, since that's where I'll be doing the exchange.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #35,527 of 61,363
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #35,528 of 61,363
This got me thinking, the market is exploding and is expected to continue to do so as tws reaches users iems didnt; and Apple aren’t foolish. I expect they’re putting some big money on the table given this product has paid dividends. Wonder if it’ll bear fruit from the airpods tree. Wireless Andromeda equivalent with ANC, auto pairing and $250 plz.
Apple will always do things their own way. The Airpods name is a strong marketing device and based on name alone they could sell tons of it. Sound quality or tuning will never be their main priority. I am not saying Airpods sound good or bad.

Apple gambles on the whole user experience with the Airpods for those within the Apple ecosystem. Things like easy switching between Apple devices, spatial audio etc.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #35,529 of 61,363
Apple will always do things their own way. The Airpods name is a strong marketing device and based on name alone they could sell tons of it. Sound quality or tuning will never be their main priority. I am not saying Airpods sound good or bad.

Apple gambles on the whole user experience with the Airpods for those within the Apple ecosystem. Things like easy switching between Apple devices, spatial audio etc.
I think always is a strong word for a 2nd gen product. They could do anything, especially after recently hiring a slew of Bowers & Wilkins senior engineers (which they have).

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #35,530 of 61,363
Put the Lypertek Pureplay Z7's on your list too. They are very very good. Highly recommend.

Agreed! The Lypertek PurePlay Z7 delivers audiophile quality for on the go. Find out why we're recommending this TWS IEM, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/lypertek-pureplay-z7-review/
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-26 at 22.37.21.jpeg

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #35,532 of 61,363
XM4, new firmware update. (1.2.6)
Sounds like they are tuned a little different? A bit brighter, and not that muddy? Can listen to them without eq'ing now.

Also, still think the Senn' MTW2 sound better after the latest update. Especially the mids/vocals.

Again, just my imagination? What's your experience?

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #35,533 of 61,363
XM4, new firmware update. (1.2.6)
Sounds like they are tuned a little different? A bit brighter, and not that muddy? Can listen to them without eq'ing now.

Also, still think the Senn' MTW2 sound better after the latest update. Especially the mids/vocals.

Again, just my imagination? What's your experience?
I also do feel they sound a tiny bit brighter.

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #35,534 of 61,363
I just snagged a second-hand pair of Sennheiser CX for the equivalent of $60USD. They were only released week so they're in great condition. Just trying them out now - boosted bass is helping the kick drums and toms stick out nicely. I'm finding the highs a little splashy but that could just be me adjusting to them. Interestingly, the model number is CX200BT so they're not a direct replacement for the CX400BT model number wise. Perhaps Sennheiser are leaving the door open to for a mid-range model?

These should make a good pair of gym earphones until I decide on a more premium ANC pair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back