Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 16, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #34,336 of 62,241
I hope so, but it wouldn't be the first time Sony went after someone for claiming "first to" on something.

For me, personally, though? It's another docking of points against HiBy. Even if Sony may or may not be going after them, the claim isn't accurate and it seems every reviewer wants to make the same statement. I can't tell if that's coming from the reviewers or if HiBy asked them to say that specifically and, since the whole thing even comes up into question, it doesn't sit right with me.

Edit: let's not forget Sony were the guys who went after an emulator company over a screenshot. Not even the software, just the screenshot: https://h2o.law.harvard.edu/cases/5198

Yep. Our family is still "waiting" on campaigns we funded back in 2014. HiBy's had more successes than others, but I just recovered from the Between Pro incident; not ready to go through that again.
For all the reviewers, it is nothing but the truth. Did any of them receive a working TWS LDAC sample from Sony before they got it from us? Would they not have written about it first if they had?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 16, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #34,337 of 62,241
For all the reviewers, it is nothing but the truth. Did any of them receive a working TWS LDAC sample from Sony before they got it from us? Would they not have written about it first if they had?
If you want to be technical, the reviewers did, but that's beside the point. Consumers have a set of Sony LDAC TWS in hand. HiBy owners do not. So who's benefiting from the claim? Not the consumer.

It's a dubious claim and it seems either your review team or HiBy are trying to make it the centerpoint for marketing. You can either be upset with me for making the observation or make the recommendation to your advertising team to reconsider their marketing angle. Surely you have selling points that aren't LDAC compatibility and perhaps those are a better focus.

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #34,338 of 62,241
I also hear that same “metallic “ sound on male vocals. I cannot seem to EQ that away. Nonetheless the whole package makes ese a keeper, for me.
I knew I wasn't going mad! I hit this on day1 and ultimately ended up returning my XM4. I can't repro on any other audio equipment I own and I listen to a ton of podcasts, so this was a deal breaker for me, personally.

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #34,341 of 62,241
Yes, that's what I thought they were at first glance.
mifo-o7-indigo_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Oh jeez, you're not kidding. Would expect tuning to be drastically different because here's the listening notes from one review of the O7:

Honestly, they are nothing special. I think where they get a reputation for good sound is many unfamiliar people with earphones, and the technologies are moving from a cheap set of dynamic driver earphones. It may be the first time they are heading a balanced armature, and the difference is quite stark.

Compared to other amazing wireless earphones I have tried in the past year, they don’t even come close. Something like the Sabbat E12 at half the price costs half as much as the Mifo 07. Earphones from KZ, Creative, and Anker are all on par and cheaper. Finally, you get the amazing Newmine R9-4, which will slaughter them sonically.

The sound is relatively consumerish. It does have the clarity associated with a balanced armature, and the highs have a decent extension but they lack a lot of low-end punch and aren’t competitive enough for me to waste time going into depth. Side by side, I preferred the sound of the Mifo 05 over this.

I'm also putting my money where my mouth is: ordered a set of each WH2. If I'm going to judge a product, might as well do it from first-hand experience.

They're also eerily similar to the TFZ X3, so it's probably a COTS shell:

TFZ_X3.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #34,342 of 62,241
I knew I wasn't going mad! I hit this on day1 and ultimately ended up returning my XM4. I can't repro on any other audio equipment I own and I listen to a ton of podcasts, so this was a deal breaker for me, personally.
That's interesting. I listen to a good amount of tracks with male vocalists and have not heard this. I have watched YouTube videos of product reviews, by men, with these buds, for probably close to two hours, and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. Weird.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #34,343 of 62,241
Well, I finally arrived in MA where I had the XM4 waiting for me - and I'm honestly a little underwhelmed by the sound. On some tracks, and particularly voice calls, there's a bit of a hint of a metallic resonance (think the sound you hear when you're talking loudly near a large metal hollow object like a clothes dryer). I'm still going to play with them and the EQ, and see if the "slight crackle" goes away for other phone call types (other than VOIP) but my hunch is these will not make the cut for me. Haven't played with ANC yet, but the least important to me after sound and call mic quality.

So, now I'm eyeing the Nuarl N10 Pro and JBL Tour Pro+ (now on Amazon). The JBL Club Pro+ were my favs until I lost them.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the new JBL Tour Pro+? Reviews I've found sound promising albeit not overly enthusiastic.

Alternatively, anyone have any other strong strong suggestions? I appreciate solid deep bass that is crisp/resolute, am a bit treble sensitive, but like sparkle. I've eyed the CA MT but didn't love the stories of touch/connection woes. Thank you!
Consider the ADV M5 for a little less? Don't have any experience with the Tour Pro+, but do have the Club, so I'm familiar with the sound signature you're considering. I think the ADV would fit the bill. Pretty barebones as far as additional features go (ANC/Hearthrough/etc), so it's effectively a cable-free IEM, but I think you'll dig its tonality.

@clerkpalmer is your set still up for sale? (Edit: yes it is)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #34,344 of 62,241
Well, I finally arrived in MA where I had the XM4 waiting for me - and I'm honestly a little underwhelmed by the sound. On some tracks, and particularly voice calls, there's a bit of a hint of a metallic resonance (think the sound you hear when you're talking loudly near a large metal hollow object like a clothes dryer). I'm still going to play with them and the EQ, and see if the "slight crackle" goes away for other phone call types (other than VOIP) but my hunch is these will not make the cut for me. Haven't played with ANC yet, but the least important to me after sound and call mic quality.

So, now I'm eyeing the Nuarl N10 Pro and JBL Tour Pro+ (now on Amazon). The JBL Club Pro+ were my favs until I lost them.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the new JBL Tour Pro+? Reviews I've found sound promising albeit not overly enthusiastic.

Alternatively, anyone have any other strong strong suggestions? I appreciate solid deep bass that is crisp/resolute, am a bit treble sensitive, but like sparkle. I've eyed the CA MT but didn't love the stories of touch/connection woes. Thank you!
Yep, I've been eyeing the JBL Tour Pro+ as well. I still have the JBL Club Pro+, which is what is preventing me from picking them up, because basically, I almost have what I perceive to be the same thing! However, it does appear the fit may have improved with the fins and the overall design. Meh, I may grab them today, as they're available right now. Gah!

I'm still in the middle on the XM4. I really like them in general (complete set of features and sound across genres), however, the fit is bothersome. They are a bit bulbous and put pressure on the outside part of my ear, not to mention a fiddly fit with the tips themselves.

OK, I just talked myself into picking up the JBL Tour Pro+. I'll post some initial impressions later today.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #34,345 of 62,241
Consider the ADV M5 for a little less? Don't have any experience with the Tour Pro+, but do have the Club, so I'm familiar with the sound signature you're considering. I think the ADV would fit the bill. Pretty barebones as far as additional features go (ANC/Hearthrough/etc), so it's effectively a cable-free IEM, but I think you'll dig its tonality.

@clerkpalmer is your set still up for sale? (Edit: yes it is)
Ooh, thank you for the reminder, I just might check those out and grab @clerkpalmer's set
Yep, I've been eyeing the JBL Tour Pro+ as well. I still have the JBL Club Pro+, which is what is preventing me from picking them up, because basically, I almost have what I perceive to be the same thing! However, it does appear the fit may have improved with the fins and the overall design. Meh, I may grab them today, as they're available right now. Gah!

I'm still in the middle on the XM4. I really like them in general (complete set of features and sound across genres), however, the fit is bothersome. They are a bit bulbous and put pressure on the outside part of my ear, not to mention a fiddly fit with the tips themselves.

OK, I just talked myself into picking up the JBL Tour Pro+. I'll post some initial impressions later today.
I talked myself into the Tour Pro+ as well - I hope they have the EQability of the Club Pro+ and if so I may still really like them. Excited to hear your impressions - you're the gent who got me to get the JBL's the first time iirc.

XM4 are going back for sure. Not for me though I must admit their ANC blows everything else I've tried out of the water.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #34,346 of 62,241
Giving some initial feedback about the Edifier TWS1 Pro, by the way:
  • They're extremely comfortable. Honestly, this set competes with the original Noble Falcon in terms of long-term comfort. Unfortunately, there's pretty much no venting of the driver, so you can have an issue where pressure builds up if you're not careful, but the buds are small enough that they should go in and stay in pretty easily, even with the stock tips
  • Call quality is fine. I get no complaints on either end
  • Tuning is a mixed bag. I guess I could consider it Consumer+ in the regard that it's definitely pushing bass and treble more than midrange, but there is an attempt to separate the upper bass from lower mids. That being said, kick drums on content like Symphony X's Paradise Lost is plenty bombastic without being overwhelming. Cymbals ting or crash like they should, so no detectable splashiness from my listening. Lower midrange is where everything's a little more congested than it should be and that really shows on some of the more complicated passages as instruments start to lose their separation. Things get a lot more insane when you play bass-heavy tracks, though. If you want bass, the TWS1 Pro will give it to you and unapologetically so. It manages to stay just a little under that "big stinky bass" category, but it's certainly robust and should be more than enough to satisfy mild bassheads without aggravating those who prefer something more balanced. Obviously, what content you choose to consume will also affect the outcome. The TWS1 Pro still is a far cry from what I'd consider balanced, but in my opinion, it's done tastefully so with the right target demographic in mind. At the end of the day, this is nothing to be upset about when the going rate is on Amazon is $50. For $50, they're tuned exceptionally well.
PXL_20210616_173634026.jpg

But the 800lb gorilla in the room is aptX Adaptive. Do the TWS1 Pro cause artifacting and distortion when pushed? Yes, though not as much as the Noble Falcon Pro did. I'll need to do more testing to find out to what extent this distortion is audible. Much like the NFP, it seems to get worse as bitrate goes up. Doesn't really show itself on Spotify, but you can hear it with UAPP and Qobuz when streaming Hi-Res content. In some part, I guess I'm grateful that it has more to do with the codec than it does either TWS, though. Perhaps Qualcomm/Google will work on a fix?

Anywho, after a little under 24 hours of use, these get an easy recommendation from me. Edifier might not be a household name in this space yet, but they're doing enough stuff correctly that I'm willing to forget the 2+ month wait it took for them to get here. Was expecting way worse of a product than I received. This is good.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #34,347 of 62,241

Hey, I actually just bought (and immediately returned…) the N10 Pro’s…

I love my N6P’s, but I was underwhelmed by the N10P. The effect of the ANC was not really noticeable (certainly less than my Bose NC), and the volume was really low.

Up until yesterday, I would’ve highly recommended the KEF mu3’s but yesterday the right bud completely stopped working at the gym. (fortunately I had my N6P’s with me!)

This happened a few weeks ago and then it just started working again. But I might be returning these for a new pair.

Jun 16, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #34,348 of 62,241
I have a somewhat Rube Goldberg solution for you. Get a 3.5mm Splitter cable that gives you 2 3.5mm Stereo outputs, and then get TWO Bluetooth Transmitters. The Bluetooth transmitters don't need to be expensive. Especially if you are OK with SBC, and don't need AAC, APTX APTX-HD; or the hardest to find an LDAC Transmitter.
This way you'll have a separate bluetooth transmitter for each TWS.
Very intriguing. Do you think there will be any lip synch issues with 2 transmitters in the mix playing simultaneously to 2 TWS sets? Also what part of the TV would those 2 3.5mm stereo connectors go into or would they connect to the transmitter instead.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #34,349 of 62,241
I have a somewhat Rube Goldberg solution for you. Get a 3.5mm Splitter cable that gives you 2 3.5mm Stereo outputs, and then get TWO Bluetooth Transmitters. The Bluetooth transmitters don't need to be expensive. Especially if you are OK with SBC, and don't need AAC, APTX APTX-HD; or the hardest to find an LDAC Transmitter.
This way you'll have a separate bluetooth transmitter for each TWS.
I love that idea. My wife and I watch movies at night and she always complains when some parts get too loud. So I need to fiddle constantly with the volume remote which of course has on screen display that I can’t disable.

Jun 16, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #34,350 of 62,241
mifo-o7-indigo_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Oh jeez, you're not kidding. Would expect tuning to be drastically different because here's the listening notes from one review of the O7:

I'm also putting my money where my mouth is: ordered a set of each WH2. If I'm going to judge a product, might as well do it from first-hand experience.

They're also eerily similar to the TFZ X3, so it's probably a COTS shell:

TFZ_X3.jpg
Tuning is one thing, but fit would probably be the same. And while I get a great fit with the Mifo o5, the o7 are too ‘shallow’, the only way I get a decent seal is with different tips which then makes the buds not fit into the case. Since I still have the original box I am actively trying to sell them, but there is no market / demand here for niche TwS … ppl either want flashy brand names or cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back