Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #34,201 of 62,168
My AZ70 are starting to have a ticking sound when walking and jogging. Might be looking at warranty. If I do I might see if they have a new model in the works :). See if I can finagle them into upgrading lol.
Wouldn't blame you. So far so good on mine. Man, I just love them for the stuff they do well. Hope you can get it worked out!

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #34,202 of 62,168
Went back to using my AKG N400 vs the BW PI7 and MD08.
The sound signature is really enticing and you don't need to turn ANC to get a bass punch
Controls are much flexible and easier to handling when walking or running
The only issue is the case ,it's chubby 🙄

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #34,203 of 62,168
Im split, the N400 sounds awesome, but the lack of multipoint, the issues with the problematic contacts (got sick of pulling them out and them being dead), the iffy controls, and the ANC is next to useless.

Bought the Huawei freebuds pro, sounds less nice, ANC works better, has multipoint connection seamless. between PC and my cellphone at work

for now, i think that the n400 for free time and the freebuds for work.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #34,204 of 62,168
Thought that too, but I'm not sure that's the market for them. They want runners and bikers. Guess we'll see. Man, I had the first gen Jaybirds years ago when BT headphones weren't a thing yet. Pretty cool to see them evolve. I'll prob pass on these. Until the wild hair tickles.

I still own and use my Bluebuds X. From 2014.

(Edit: That goes against my short life argument. But I also think those are a unicorn)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #34,205 of 62,168
What a weird design ! Any advantage over the X12s for running or biking (for which the X12s are pretty much unusable due to wind noise) ?
can't say I have tested with wind .. it reminds me of those bone conducting headphones ... you kinda hear the music and it's not too bad, but have not considered using it for running .. those S19 are unfortunatelly BT connection huggers, even when in box, they love to hijack the connection and disturb whatever music I am playing, so most of the time I have to say 'forget device' ... oh, but the X12 love doing that too sometimes, not as bad though

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #34,206 of 62,168
Hear, here! Still have the original QC35 that were gifted to me by the wife on original release. Imo. One of the best-built consumer products I've ever bought. Was the first emergence of that refreshed house sound, but I do miss their old multidriver floorstanders (think they were the 501). That was Bose at its finest.

You may want to consider multi-driver. I can't recommend the B&W because I've never tried it, but I do have the Noble Falcon Pro, ADV M5-TWS, and JBL Club Pro+ (assuming they're compatible with your ears) all get you pretty darn close. In the case of the ADV or JBL, they tremendously benefit from the Azla Crystal tips (about $20 for a pack of 2). SpinFit CP100 worked well with the JBL, too, but I prefer the Azla tips' tackiness for consistent fit and basically no nozzle to mess with the sound signature.

Had you not made a comment that asked for bass to dig low, I'd also recommend the UE FITS or Technics AZ70W as both have exceptional staging and midrange detail. Personally, I think the FITS are still one of my absolute favorites, but they're definitely a grower and don't have some of the bass weight you're probably looking for. Perhaps later on when you're willing to go for something a little more neutral. Those are all-day comfortable as well, thanks to their pretty shallow insertion to the ear canal. The Technics are live/acoustic beasts, but also have a similar issue to the UEs when it comes to bass presence. I'd attribute that to the relatively large dynamic drivers in each, which tend to excel in bass quality at the expense of quantity.

All of this is why I have the Etymotion cable for the ER4XR and the CF01 for everything else. It takes the "what if" out of the equation and lets you know what IEM X sounds like wireless. Great way to both set up a reference point and give IEMs more regular use than they may have in the past. And they're blooming comfortable to boot. FiiO and TRN make a version as well, but again...no personal experience. Others can chime in on their experiences here.

If you go that route, @yeeyy you may see a faster return on your investment. If you go this route, I'd suggest picking up some MMCX/2pin adapters from OE on MusicTeck or OE's website for maximum compatibility. Even my old KZ ED16 sound fantastic through the CF01. Really hope iBasso upgrades that model with a LDAC or aptX Adaptive variant in the future, but it's otherwise a fantastic product.

Side benefit: they did survive an unexpected dunk in the bath while I had my Blessing 2 connected. Had to dry out the B2 in silica, but the CF01 just needed a quick wipe and everything was copacetic. Not sure what megabuck TWS I'd feel half as confident doing that with.
Sorry if misunderstood I’m a bass head - not, I’m not. I like to have the bass to dig lower but not full of bass.

I am definitely a lover of Natural and balance sound, and that’s the reason I bought the N6 Pro.

No I really do not want to buy another accessories with the TWS IEM as I use it on the go. At home I will listen to my wired HD600.

Truly thankful for your recommendation and I will see if I had a chance to try out FITS. I know UE used to be famous with their IEM, not so sure about them (& TWS IEM) now.

Jun 13, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #34,207 of 62,168
I have been testing my WF-1000XM4 the past couple days. Sold the MTW2 in anticipation of these and wanted to experience some Sony's.
I started with the medium which fit good, but at times found if I yawned I would break seal. I tried the large and they were surprisingly comfortable. It is important to squeeze them. The large don't break seal if I open my mouth or move my jaw. Also, sub base sometimes sounded weak or weird with the medium tips and this was corrected with the large tips.
I really don't care for anc at all. I really wished companies would stop focusing so much on this and more on sound quality. That being said, the anc is really good.
Soundstage is somewhat good. It lacks detail, slam and clarity too, but totally unfair comparison as I am judging them against my LCDi4. A downside to being spoiled by the i4 is that everything I have heard so far has been so far away. Even with LDAC on my Galaxy Z Fold 2 and at 990 kbps, these are not there yet. It's like listening in standard definition vs 4k HDR.

An example is the bass drop at 2:53 of Alicia Keys - Back To Life

Busy passages are sort of mushed and sounds compressed. Bass drops are suppressed or just not dynamic enough. Obviously nowhere near as fast as planar either.
Nonetheless, I do like them for what they are and so far the best all rounder with the most tech to date, wireless charging case, LDAC, great anc, ip rating, long battery life, better app and small case.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #34,208 of 62,168
I am going to mess with 3rd party tips today (none of Sony's fit me as I need XL) so using SednaEarfit Crystals on my XM4's for near perfect passive seal but the sound is horrid (with no real mids/highs more like muddy), they did do the same thing to one of my other non TWS sets but worked well on all others including TWS sets so going to try my SpinFits knowing it may loose me some passive NC.

Also have battery issue on R bud and a few other things to post once I am done but so far not too happy.

Jun 13, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #34,209 of 62,168
Has anyone tried both the XM4s and the Galaxy Buds Plus/Pro? I’m tossing up whether to pre-order the XM4 (arriving mid-July) or wait for the Galaxy Buds 2 (rumoured for August). I much prefer a more neutral sound than the Sony house sound, don’t require ANC, and would prefer multipoint, so am hoping the Buds 2 might be the ticket.

Jun 13, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #34,210 of 62,168
Help!

Small ear woes;

My Samsung Galaxy Buds+ arrived yesterday and they are gigantic! They won't stay my ears as the body of the bud is the same size as my ear canal. I love the features on these and would keep them if not for the size issue. Both buds fell out this morning when walking to the subway..

I also tried the Soundpeats Trueair2 and preferred the sound of these but prefer the Galaxy buds for overall ease of use and connectivity with my iPhone.

What buds fit better for people with small ears??

Considering getting the Earfun Free 2s but I'm guessing I might prefer a set of buds which also excels in "ease of use for everyday commuting" - Edit: Just read a mediocre review on here by CK Moustache so might hold off: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earfun-free-2.25211/

My dream is a set of buds so comfortable, I completely forget they are in my ears. Thank you thank you!!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #34,211 of 62,168
Sorry if misunderstood I’m a bass head - not, I’m not. I like to have the bass to dig lower but not full of bass.

I am definitely a lover of Natural and balance sound, and that’s the reason I bought the N6 Pro.

No I really do not want to buy another accessories with the TWS IEM as I use it on the go. At home I will listen to my wired HD600.

Truly thankful for your recommendation and I will see if I had a chance to try out FITS. I know UE used to be famous with their IEM, not so sure about them (& TWS IEM) now.
Thanks for clarifying; I misunderstood. Sounds like you're more interested in natural timbre, in which case the FITS may make a very good pairing. I've found they represent just about everything on that White Willow album marvelously and it's really fun when you go through some of those baroque sessions in a track that are immediately represented by some subsonic synth-laden Krautrock...it's just expert-level symphonic prog and so good.

Now I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that the CX400BT have been making it out more for listening lately. They seem to have a very narrow band of strengths, but they really do handle stuff that wasn't mixed for heavy bass quite admirably. I wish the fit matched and it's honestly one of the only reasons I'm considering the MTW2 (hopefully a 3, we'll see what this acquisition does for Sennheiser...purely for the better ergonomics). Perhaps I gave it a premature bad wrap, but no other pair I have handles guitars in a mix quite like the CX400BT can. It's not better or worse than the others, just remarkably unique, much the same way the HD650 has a cult following for its level of midrange detail.

And while I've never had a pair to try, I've only heard fantastic things about the Devialet Gemini now that it seems they've smoothed out their firmware issues. Folks like @erockg can chime in there.

I get it on the TWS adapters, but do know that (at least as far as SQ is concerned) we're still in different ballparks between the tiny wireless guys and their wired counterparts. Even the ER4XR sound remarkably different when wired into a good powered source and wallop most of the currently-available TWS for the criteria you're considering. Doesn't mean you can't find something fun, but you might spend more in the process.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #34,212 of 62,168
What buds fit better for people with small ears??
Maybe some of JBL's offerings will work for you. My chief complaint with the Club Pro+ is that they're just a mm or two too shallow to be right for my ears. I can make them work with Azla Crystals and they sound phenomenal, but that fit aspect just irks me. The depth might be a good option for you, though, so I'd suggest taking a look.

Otherwise, maybe the Earin A3 might work for you in terms of something you can forget you have in.

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #34,213 of 62,168
Maybe some of JBL's offerings will work for you. My chief complaint with the Club Pro+ is that they're just a mm or two too shallow to be right for my ears. I can make them work with Azla Crystals and they sound phenomenal, but that fit aspect just irks me. The depth might be a good option for you, though, so I'd suggest taking a look.

Otherwise, maybe the Earin A3 might work for you in terms of something you can forget you have in.
Thank you so much for these suggestions! JBL seems to have mixed reviews which is why I had initially looked in other directions. Same with the Earins. Have you tried the Earins before? If you've tried 'em, what did you think?

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #34,214 of 62,168
Thank you so much for these suggestions! JBL seems to have mixed reviews which is why I had initially looked in other directions. Same with the Earins. Have you tried the Earins before? If you've tried 'em, what did you think?
@erockg has them and can comment, but I remember him being the one to mention he forgets they're even in.

What about the JBL's reviews are mixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back