Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 22, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #29,521 of 62,789
Wonder what that "port" on the outside is!

Possible they went aux in for a cable? Maybe that is a fancier microphone for the ANC like you see on a voice recorder? :)

This here came in and case is much smaller than pics make it look...
IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG
We'll see how they are in a bit.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #29,522 of 62,789
Possible they went aux in for a cable? Maybe that is a fancier microphone for the ANC like you see on a voice recorder? :)

If it is for an AUX cable, I would argue they are doing another proprietary cable connection, as that doesn't look like anything I recognize. I tend to think that that is probably just as you said, another mic, but with bling.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #29,523 of 62,789

That would be a stupid place to pug a audio cable connection. With that form factor the over ear loop is going to be more popular, but I doubt they'll off that too. I want to say it's a microphone, but you can kind of see two holes on the top that might serve that purpose. Unless they have an additional microphone for ANC. It could also just simply be porting for the rear-side of the driver (or front side).

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #29,524 of 62,789
Having a hard time deciding between the JBL and Sony . They both sound very similar and features near identical bit with portability and Qi charging IP rating for JBL and better ANC for Sony. Thinking I should go for the ANC as that is a real differentiating factor and will likely use the Fiil for workouts.

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #29,526 of 62,789
It could just be some Photoshop nonsense too. The notebookcheck.net story pointed out there are not even regulatory filings yet. But they already have the box designed? Color me skeptical. Happy to find out I'm wrong later.

Yep, that is when we have something. A box picture could be some bored dude f*cking around. April fool joke he couldn't wait for lol.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #29,527 of 62,789
I’m not finding the time for extended listening sessions, but for now my wife and I’s impression of the Mu3 is of a rather balanced sound with the interesting parts coming from the mids up. There’s full-bodied bass, with no excessive presence, rather smoothed out. Very high resolution in the mids, great for voices. And extended, forward treble with zing.

On the one hand it’s an exciting listen because of the depth and richness of detail. However, less exciting is the laid-back pace. The Mu3 are not excellent rhythmically, lacking a bit of punch and slam. It’s a comfortable tuning - not safe or boring, rather it sounds mature and calm. Rather like the earbuds themselves, which look gorgeous and are gloriously comfortable for her and for me, with an easy seal and impressively secure insertion.

My wife is probably going to keep them for aerial dancing on melancholy, soulful, vocal-heavy tunes, and hang on to her Nuforce Be6i (wireless but not true wireless) whose 10mm Ti and Mg coated drivers bring massive groove and hard-hitting bass for high-intensity training fueled by trap and dark electro.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #29,528 of 62,789
Got my Nuarl N6 Pro today and have listened to them for about an hour, so here are first impressions:

I like the way they look. They are not too... Blingy, but don't look plain either. I like the placement of the buttons (I still like physical buttons). I will have to say, though that the buttons are so small and sensitive they might as well be touch buttons. I keep hitting them by accident, especially when inserting the buds into my ears. The buds stick out a bit far (think Bose Soundsport Free, but not as wide and tall). I love that they come with the Spinfits, as they provide the "tacky" rubber needed to stay in my ears. I am using medium on the left and small on the right.

With that combination (along with the wings), they will probably stay in my ears till hell freezes over. While in my ears, they are very comfortable and (so far) I don't feel any hot-spots. I can't speak to very long sessions yet, but I am not new to IEMs in general and don't think I will be feeling pain even after a long while (but who knows?).

The first time I put them into my ears I thought they sounded like complete s***! I have never had an IEM/TWS that was SO sensitive with insertion. I can see now (from a few pages back) how someone said they sound like someone turned the bass way down on these. I changed tips and re-inserted them (they really need to go pretty deep), and low and behold the sound is much better. The bass now goes very low, and has some thump to it (even on rock songs).

Keep in mind these are first impressions, and this may change over time (for various reasons). The good: The treble is NOT rolled off, and not quite sibilant (though JUST on the verge, especially with rock or highly compressed music). The bass is not overpowering, though boosted just a bit in the sub bass area. The mids ARE recessed, but are clear if a bit warm. Overall I like them better than most TWS I have listened to. They are similar to the Hifiman TWS600, but with more sub bass.

The bad: There is a HUGE spike in the 4k and a smaller one in the 2k area, and I have to subtract 10 db in 4k and 2 from 2k to correct for this. These areas give higher pitched instruments and vocals a painful quality, not to mention throws the overall tone of instruments off. Now that I have made it less painful, I can see that the treble is very grainy which makes cymbals and that sort of thing sound very thin and dry. It also exacerbates bad recordings. It also sounds a bit funny because the mids are actually pretty warm (it is a stark contrast to the treble to my ears).

The sub bass is boosted but doesn't really overshadow the mids (even though the mids are recessed), but I think it is mainly because there is very little mid bass, and even less upper bass. While talking about sub bass, the other problem with it is that it is not very resolving at all. Also, with some rap (or music that has huge rumbling bass) there is quite a bit of distortion.

So far it seems that soundstage and imaging are not very big at all. When there are a lot (or complicated parts) of instruments these DO sound congested. They DO sound great with music that has very few instruments though. I think that overall (and with some EQ), I like the sound signature. I think they were trying to go for more analytical (less fun), but failed to do that. With the right amount of EQ I might be able to make them fun sounding though. Time will tell!

Those are my impressions for now, I will report back after listening to them longer, with different types of music.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #29,529 of 62,789
Got my Nuarl N6 Pro today and have listened to them for about an hour, so here are first impressions:

The first time I put them into my ears I thought they sounded like complete s***! I have never had an IEM/TWS that was SO sensitive with insertion. I can see now (from a few pages back) how someone said they sound like someone turned the bass way down on these. I changed tips and re-inserted them (they really need to go pretty deep), and low and behold the sound is much better. The bass now goes very low, and has some thump to it (even on rock songs).

This. Insertion depth and tip dependent. Going through this at this very moment with the CKR70TW. Thick and warm with stock L and a bit thin and cool with the M. I knew the AT tips would leave SQ on the table. Need to dial in the right amount of seal. I feel these are well tuned overall with a smooth and even sound. Even with lower seal and a thinner sound the treble isn't really peaky even if more bright. The old school UE are a dream so far...

They do sound big and grand and delicate. Just using the ROCK preset on the Hidiz EQ but nothing really involved and not the MSEB settings. Funny that these and the DUNU Zen share DLC domes and damn if they don't sound quite similar in tuning with the UE tips. I did notice that they have that in common and reviews did suggest that tuning was there so I bought them. These are up there for SQ but I don't think they are for ANC. Mics are very good though.

The AT do have a notched bore for pressure relief...
IMG_1536.JPG

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #29,530 of 62,789
I've started venturing into the TWS world. I've tried the Lypertek Tevi and the Helm TWS, both of which I returned to Amazon shorty after trying them out.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm approaching TWS with the wrong mindset. Are we just that spoiled by IEM and over ear quality and performance for the prices we pay for TWS?

I'm honestly expecting something similar to Monster Turbines, RevoNext RN-QT2, or (for those that remember) Soundsoul S-018.

I want to try the Cambridge Melomania and the Sennheiser CX400BT/MWT2 next, but after going through this thread, I wonder if either of those will get me closer to what I'm looking for.

What I listen to and what are my uses:
I listen to EDM (DnB, FutureBass, Trap, mostly Female Vocals), Rock (pop punk, metal, hard rock, alt, ska), and Jazz/Instrumental (mostly piano and brass/horns).
Primary uses will be for gym use (lifting and rowing) and when at work. (WFH/open office, so screaming kids and loud neighbors).
Sources would be my phone and/or laptop

Features?
ANC - would be nice to have, but not necessary
Voice/Call quality - would love to have great quality here, but I understand there's no silverbullet and I'm willing to sacrifice this for superior/better music listening quality
Water/weatherproofing - I'm careful with my things, but having peace of mind knowing they will survive some degree of carelessness or accidental exposure to the weather would be nice.

Price range - I kind of don't have a budget since ANC blows the price up anyways, but I'm definitely trying to be conscious of how much I spend.

My impression of the Lypertek Tevi and the Helm TWS are in the quotes below that are from another thread here.

Just got the Tevi in today. Sound was alright and the call quality from the caller side and the called side were horrible in my opinion.

Music/sound quality, yeah they were good, I just wasn't impressed by them for the amount I paid.

As a person listening to someone using the Tevi for calls, it picks up every piece of background noise and not the user itself and the person sounds like they were miles away from the microphone.

As the person making the call with the Tevi, it sounds like you are listening to the person in a vacuum. I've tried all the tips that came with it, same result.

Got them Sunday and gave them about 4 hours of listening. Then I returned them today.

I actually liked them. Exactly how you described them, fun! Bass heavy with pretty decent quality, but not too overboard in my opinion. I wish they had an app to EQ or I played with EQ some more so that I could get the upper mids and highs to be more pronounced.

The reason why I returned them was because when playing DnB or anything with fast treble/highs, it sounds like the drivers were clipping or getting distorted.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #29,531 of 62,789
Feb 23, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #29,532 of 62,789

I like the way they look. They are not too... Blingy, but don't look plain either. I like the placement of the buttons (I still like physical buttons). I will have to say, though that the buttons are so small and sensitive they might as well be touch buttons. I keep hitting them by accident, especially when inserting the buds into my ears. The buds stick out a bit far (think Bose Soundsport Free, but not as wide and tall). I love that they come with the Spinfits, as they provide the "tacky" rubber needed to stay in my ears. I am using medium on the left and small on the right.

With that combination (along with the wings), they will probably stay in my ears till hell freezes over. While in my ears, they are very comfortable and (so far) I don't feel any hot-spots. I can't speak to very long sessions yet, but I am not new to IEMs in general and don't think I will be feeling pain even after a long while (but who knows?).

Keep in mind these are first impressions, and this may change over time (for various reasons). The good: The treble is NOT rolled off, and not quite sibilant (though JUST on the verge, especially with rock or highly compressed music). The bass is not overpowering, though boosted just a bit in the sub bass area. The mids ARE recessed, but are clear if a bit warm. Overall I like them better than most TWS I have listened to. They are similar to the Hifiman TWS600, but with more sub bass.

The bad: There is a HUGE spike in the 4k and a smaller one in the 2k area, and I have to subtract 10 db in 4k and 2 from 2k to correct for this. These areas give higher pitched instruments and vocals a painful quality, not to mention throws the overall tone of instruments off. Now that I have made it less painful, I can see that the treble is very grainy which makes cymbals and that sort of thing sound very thin and dry. It also exacerbates bad recordings. It also sounds a bit funny because the mids are actually pretty warm (it is a stark contrast to the treble to my ears).

The sub bass is boosted but doesn't really overshadow the mids (even though the mids are recessed), but I think it is mainly because there is very little mid bass, and even less upper bass. While talking about sub bass, the other problem with it is that it is not very resolving at all. Also, with some rap (or music that has huge rumbling bass) there is quite a bit of distortion.

So far it seems that soundstage and imaging are not very big at all. When there are a lot (or complicated parts) of instruments these DO sound congested. They DO sound great with music that has very few instruments though. I think that overall (and with some EQ), I like the sound signature. I think they were trying to go for more analytical (less fun), but failed to do that. With the right amount of EQ I might be able to make them fun sounding though. Time will tell!

Those are my impressions for now, I will report back after listening to them longer, with different types of music.

give them a week or so, the sounds will be better, just like my N6 Mini where at first I was always fiddling with EQ, but after some times the sounds and the technicalities improved, I don’t EQ’d them now. Although the N6 Pro and the N6 Mini have a different DD, but there is a chance that the N6 Pro sounds will improved over time as well.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #29,533 of 62,789

In my experience, after 20 hours or so, that treble smoothed out quite a bit. just curious, is the hinge on your charging case loose feeling? Mine was from day 1 and knock on wood, no issues after a bit over a year. I don't use them as much as MTW but they still get used consistently.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #29,534 of 62,789
I’m not finding the time for extended listening sessions, but for now my wife and I’s impression of the Mu3 is of a rather balanced sound with the interesting parts coming from the mids up. There’s full-bodied bass, with no excessive presence, rather smoothed out. Very high resolution in the mids, great for voices. And extended, forward treble with zing.

On the one hand it’s an exciting listen because of the depth and richness of detail. However, less exciting is the laid-back pace. The Mu3 are not excellent rhythmically, lacking a bit of punch and slam. It’s a comfortable tuning - not safe or boring, rather it sounds mature and calm. Rather like the earbuds themselves, which look gorgeous and are gloriously comfortable for her and for me, with an easy seal and impressively secure insertion.

My wife is probably going to keep them for aerial dancing on melancholy, soulful, vocal-heavy tunes, and hang on to her Nuforce Be6i (wireless but not true wireless) whose 10mm Ti and Mg coated drivers bring massive groove and hard-hitting bass for high-intensity training fueled by trap and dark electro.
Pretty much my takeaway as well. I do enjoy the more relaxed tuning. For me they are keepers and I will finally claim my refund for the Geminis.
My only real complaint with Kef Mu3 is the ANC/ambient settings. They are not good. I think you should either do them well or not at all.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #29,535 of 62,789
Some, including me might find this interesting - Sony WF-1000XM4 leaked?

wf1000xm4_leak.jpg
(Image source: Reddit via The Walkman Blog)

Smaller footprint, which seems nice as the size kept me away from the xm3s ...

Full article here

Finally! Hope this is the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back