Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #23,041 of 62,549
...if I wasn't specifically looking to upgrade to wireless I would've probably just blind bought a pair of Moondrop Starfield and called it a day.
Since you bring this up, the TRN BT20s is a low profile BT adaptor that'll convert the Starfields into TWs. I have like 4 units that I mix and match with various wired IEMs and they've never let me down. I've plugged in cheap KZ IEMs and an iBasso IT-03 and they've all worked brilliantly.

If you still want a proper TWS, I agree, it's a saturated market. Best to start with a budget and whittle down your options from there.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #23,043 of 62,549
Anyone have a recommendation for TWS with really small profile? I was recommended the Tronsmart Spunky Beats and they are the perfect size but the connection strength is very weak with frequent drops (maybe I just got a dud?). So something really similar in size would be good or anything that is quite small, preferably <$50 but open to suggestions.

I was recommended the Treblab XFit, Mavin Air-X, Samsung Galaxy Buds, Mifo 07 as small; if anyone can attest to those vs. Spunky Beats size that'd be awesome too
Edifier x3, small buds and tiny case! Sound great

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #23,044 of 62,549
So do the X3 actually accept bigger tips in the case or is it another small case with no room?
C6F608DF-CC44-4A4F-B6AE-E980BB142751.jpeg
i tried with KZs ‘Star’ tips, which have the middle stem not as recessed as the (light grey) originals that came with the X3. This makes the whole bud longer, but they still fit in the case! I don’t recommend this though, as the x3 have longish stems to start with.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #23,045 of 62,549
Anyone have a recommendation for TWS with really small profile? I was recommended the Tronsmart Spunky Beats and they are the perfect size but the connection strength is very weak with frequent drops (maybe I just got a dud?). So something really similar in size would be good or anything that is quite small, preferably <$50 but open to suggestions.

I was recommended the Treblab XFit, Mavin Air-X, Samsung Galaxy Buds, Mifo 07 as small; if anyone can attest to those vs. Spunky Beats size that'd be awesome too

Could be source as well. My older phone was 4.2 and there was a decent signal strength improvement with my newer phone that has 5.0

Size wise, the original bomaker sifi, anbes 359/kissrael k18 and some others. Just look for that bean shaped TWS and UFO shaped case, then check sound reviews.

There are also the other Tronsmart TWS but I haven't held or heard them.

I have the Air-XR and they are also smaller TWS in length and height but they are 1.5x to 2x as thick. So not comfortable for side sleeping like the Spunky Beats.

I just sold my Buds+. They are also about 1.5x as thick and are a bit taller (due to their rounded triangle shape). They also weren't comfortable for side sleeping.

I've heard good things about the sound but there are a few things that make me hesitate. I don't want to go through amazon until I exhaust my brick and mortar options, for one. Second, the (initial) battery life is the minimum I would consider, and below what I really want. Charging via the case isn't really relevant for my purposes. Third, I do not want active noise cancellation (as in forced ANC would be a dealbreaker) and I've heard enough about other IEM with ANC being weird that I'm not big on taking a chance here. Finally, the $200 price point is about where I'd have to be really super happy to be willing to pay. The main reason I mentioned the Galaxy Buds is because the original can be gotten around closer to $100.

The reason I would still consider wired isn't because I expect that they're all better. It's because there's just so many more options at so many more price points. Honestly, if I wasn't specifically looking to upgrade to wireless I would've probably just blind bought a pair of Moondrop Starfield and called it a day. There doesn't seem to be a similar 'default' choice for wireless.

(I think my phrasing did imply that I think wired have inherently better sound. I have no idea how wireless sound these days. What I meant was that I would still consider a cheap wireless iem for general home use even if I spent more on a wired iem specifically for music.)

The regular Buds may be more to my liking than the Buds+, which I just sold. IIRC they are a lesser 'V' shaped harman tuning. I haven't heard the original Buds, so I can't say.

Since you bring this up, the TRN BT20s is a low profile BT adaptor that'll convert the Starfields into TWs. I have like 4 units that I mix and match with various wired IEMs and they've never let me down. I've plugged in cheap KZ IEMs and an iBasso IT-03 and they've all worked brilliantly.

If you still want a proper TWS, I agree, it's a saturated market. Best to start with a budget and whittle down your options from there.

Always a good option. There is also the Fiio UTWS1 version that adds volume control (and supposedly a little less hiss/gain) vs the BT20S.

If you don't need APT-X, are ok with AAC and don't need loud volume levels then the BT20 is good.

I just ordered some T2 plus' that will be tried with my BT20S.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #23,046 of 62,549
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #23,048 of 62,549
C6F608DF-CC44-4A4F-B6AE-E980BB142751.jpeg
i tried with KZs ‘Star’ tips, which have the middle stem not as recessed as the (light grey) originals that came with the X3. This makes the whole bud longer, but they still fit in the case! I don’t recommend this though, as the x3 have longish stems to start with.
Cheers for that, haven't seen them from that angle, you're right the stems do look a decent length. Pulled the trigger anyway, they're silly cheap on Aliexpress at the moment and I like the look of the case size. Seems like I've got a new monthly tradition of buying cheap TWS when I get paid haha.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #23,049 of 62,549
Quick impressions with the MPOW M30 whilst listening to mostly 80s arena rock.

- Clarity is excellent.
- Borders sibilant, but still south for the most part.
- Mids are fairly even and vocals cut through the mix well.
- Slight low-bass emphasis, but sounds like the 400k-ish range is pulled back a bit.
- Touch controls work very well. I'm a big fan of touch controls and these are one of the better implementations I've experienced.
- No driver flex noted.
- Comfortable and fit me right out of the box. Most of the time, I have to use L tips, but these sit a little deeper.

Overall, a nice listen and VERY good for $29. Pretty much a 100% recommendation at that price or even double.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #23,050 of 62,549
You might consider the AKG n400 for 200 on amazon. Compared to the mw07 they are less warm and colored. Less v shaped more balanced. They are my new favorites. You can't go wrong either way. The AKG have ANC and support AAC but not aptx. The Go has no ANC, aptx but no AAC.
Just curious how is the SBC sound quality on the N400? With untweaked settings, it is borderline atrocious on the Buds+.

I saw one post on Reddit saying the GO now supports AAC. Not sure if it is a hardware upgrade in newer units or a firmware update though. Always consider it somewhat a dick move to lock out a codec to make things seem more budget-level, as I've read Audio-Technica does on the ATH-CK3TW (no AAC) or Jabra with the 75t (chip is capable of AptX but they don't support it).

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #23,051 of 62,549
Just curious how is the SBC sound quality on the N400? With untweaked settings, it is borderline atrocious on the Buds+.

I saw one post on Reddit saying the GO now supports AAC. Not sure if it is a hardware upgrade in newer units or a firmware update though. Always consider it somewhat a dick move to lock out a codec to make things seem more budget-level, as I've read Audio-Technica does on the ATH-CK3TW (no AAC) or Jabra with the 75t (chip is capable of AptX but they don't support it).
Haven't tried it but i will. As far as the go, M&D did say they would unlock AAC somehow but offered no details. Has to be a hardware change and probably hard to figure out if you get one with or without.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #23,052 of 62,549
Caveat: I haven't revisited this thread in months, so I still need to read the last 30 or so pages of this thread to get a general idea of the current landscape. I might already have made a decision by the time I'm done skimming over those pages. That being said, here goes:

My Sennheiser MTW TWS 2.0 (which I've been using for nearly 3 weeks now) arrived late via the Amazon CA Fulfilment Center, so I still have another 15 days left to return them for a full refund.

Is it worth upgrading to the new MW07+ given that they're the same price in CAD? I use TWS Bluetooth IEMs only for training (full home gym powerlifting setup) or activities requiring arm mobility (since I can't reach for my phone + wired IEMs). So far, from what I gather, SQ is better on the MW07+ but ANC isn't good. Also, I don't think I need the MW07 Go because I don't do excessive aerobic activity, it's heavily anaerobic since this is my competitve sport. In other words, I don't sweat much, just heavy squats/bench/deadlifts with 15 mins daily LISS low-impact cardio on a Rogue EchoBike. Streaming is done with my LG V60 with LDAC playback using Tidal or Spotify.

I use my FiiO FH7 on the go with an LG V60 when I can freely access my phone. No USB DAC/amp dongle is required on any LG phones given their TOTL ESS Sabre DACs and 3.5mm audio jack. At home I've been using the same FiiO FH7 IEM with a FiiO BTR5 amp (in USB wired mode with my 2020 Dell XPS 17). I have a pair of Fostex TH-900 closed backs on their way which will be my first pair of mid-range headphones.

I primarily listen to extreme Metal subgenres (Black, Death, Doom, Thrash, etc.) and DnB (Neurofunk, liquid, techstepm drumstep). Here's a long post I made in the Metal headphones megathread the other day, my Last.FM profile, and my Soundcloud profile for reference. Cheers.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I initially had connectivity issues with my MTW 2.0, even with the latest firmware, but it's been smooth sailing ever since that isolated incident. Not sure what the issue was but I heard it's common with earlier firmware versions of the app. Also, I've tired the Sony WF1000XM3 and Galaxy Buds+, wasn't the biggest fan.
To my ears the mw07 and mtw2 are pretty close in overall sq. I actually prefer the fit on the senns and the senns have an eq to take some of the bass muddiness out. You might prefer the tonality of the mw07 but that's really a preference thing. I slightly prefer the mw07 sq but the senn is the better package right now assuming price is the same.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #23,053 of 62,549
Do you mind telling me what tips you are currently using on these? I have a set on the way and am interested in changing the tips as well. Thanks!

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #23,054 of 62,549

I'm also experimenting small buds for side sleeping. Not for music but podcast, so sq is not the first priority. So far Spunky beats are still the best, beating Bomaker Sifi, Mavin Air-X, Shanglin MTW, and some cheap single ear buds on Amazon. Also the sound signature of beats is quite helpful for sleeping if choosing good podcasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back