Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 28, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #23,011 of 62,747
Amazon in Europe don't appear to be delivering the SP800n until July 6th...I was vaguely tempted until I read about the poor fit problems, a Sony classic ! Having said that the Bomaker SiFi II are among the best fitting and isolating TWEs I've ever had and they don't work for others so who knows !

Can't see the X3 on Amazon butafter the SiFi II I'm happy to see what looks like a trend towards "meatier" TWEs that actually stay in your ear and provide good passive isolation...

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #23,012 of 62,747
Amazon in Europe don't appear to be delivering the SP800n until July 6th...
Order_Details.jpg

Well, let's see if they stick to this ... and I am fully commited to send them back if I can't get a decent fit ... problem I had with the SP700N, but I ended up using them without the wings, and the sound is pretty good, the ANC did not deserved the name though .. here is hope the 800 work better with my ears ...

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #23,013 of 62,747
I want to see the SP800 and AE5T compared. The JVC doesn't have NC but interested to see a SQ, fit, and wind noise comparison. The JVC "AERO" design has worked quite well and wind noise is really minimal. I don't need the NC and got the JVC which is a runners earphone and more about outside but I can see if you are inside in the gym one may want noise cancelling. I guess they might do better at each others intended purpose. Shame my Sony A26 transmits in aptX but the SP800 would only do SBC with it.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #23,014 of 62,747
I want to see the SP800 and AE5T compared. The JVC doesn't have NC but interested to see a SQ, fit, and wind noise comparison. The JVC "AERO" design has worked quite well and wind noise is really minimal. I don't need the NC and got the JVC which is a runners earphone and more about outside but I can see if you are inside in the gym one may want noise cancelling. I guess they might do better at each others intended purpose. Shame my Sony A26 transmits in aptX but the SP800 would only do SBC with it.
Agreed. I'm not a runner of cyclist, but I do workout at the gym and the SP800N works great for that. The ANC is certainly better than the SP700N, which was fairly mild and similar to ANC in the original 1000X.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #23,015 of 62,747
The AKG N400 is seriously awesome. Although Crinancle hated on MW07 (my favorites to date) I have to agree with him on these. The tuning is stellar. It's tuned for an audiophile sound - balanced, crisp and nothing overwhelms but they are very musical. There is some bass boost so they thump nicely but it is not v-shaped. If you like the N6 pro, you will absolutely love these. They are not quite as detailed but they make up for it in tonality.

The rest of the package is compelling. The build quality is superb. They are metal and feel weighty and high quality. Fit is fine. Using stock medium tips plus the largest stabilizers. They are comfortable and seem secure. In addition to the ridiculously good sq, they have ANC. Only negative so far is some hiss in the left bud at no volume which quickly disappears once the volume goes up and they don't support Aptx or Samsung's scaleable codec. I am using an S20 over AAC.

For $200, these are a bargain. They blow away anything in that price range. Can't believe these haven't garnered more attention to date.

No aptx ? Couldn't find that anywhere.

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #23,017 of 62,747
No aptx ? Couldn't find that anywhere.
No Aptx. Seems odd but AAC is onboard. A few new gremlins to report. The hiss static in the left bud is bothersome. I cant tell of its electronic interference in my house or a problem with the buds so I ordered an exchange on Amazon to compare. It does seem to come and go so maybe interference but my other buds don't do that. I will report back. Also the charging case died on me and I learned that the buds will not turn back on until you plug the case in. These types of charging case issues really should have been solved by now. That said, they still sound sweet. The big test will be wind noise on the bike.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #23,018 of 62,747
Order_Details.jpg

Well, let's see if they stick to this ... and I am fully commited to send them back if I can't get a decent fit ... problem I had with the SP700N, but I ended up using them without the wings, and the sound is pretty good, the ANC did not deserved the name though .. here is hope the 800 work better with my ears ...
I have no fit issues with mine and I tend to have issues with fit. They are stable and comfortable with stock tips for me.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #23,019 of 62,747
Been researching Wireless IEM for the past couple of days. Read a good chunk of this thread and still don't feel like I'm that much closer to reliably being able to choose something than when I started. So I figured I'd make this post before I finally choose a couple of options to buy with return potential.

I've been using Klipsch Image S4 for as long as I can remember. I think I've gone through five or so pairs of them, with a replacement every couple of years as they seem to reliably die around that time. I don't remember the specific models of the alternatives I've tried but I know there was a $200 Shure IEM, a $300 Etymotic IEM, a few different Bose options, and I vaguely remember Ultimate Ears and Beats at some point. All of these were wired. I remember liking the Shure quite a bit, although not as much as the Klispch I ended up with. While I was impressed by the Etymotic, it wasn't really the sound I was looking for and I had major issues with the comfort of the included tips. I hated all the others.

The main thing I'm looking for, and the reason why I've defaulted to the Klipsch S4 all these years, is decent sound separation together with a slightly warm signature. I primarily listen to music that is both complicated in terms of composition and instrument type/quantity and driven by strong energy. Most of what I read suggests that most options (and this is true of cheaper headphones in general) either have more of a balanced sound signature with a potential for strong separation or are heavy on bass to the detriment of clarity. I'm not interested in either/or considering I currently have the option to stick with what I know I enjoy. I will happily accept some weaknesses in how single instruments sound in order to get a degree of separation I find reasonable, however. That's more or less the tradeoff I'm already making with the Klipsch S4.

Anyway, this is long so I'll get to the main point/question.

Does anyone have experience listening to both something along the lines of the S4 (or the Klipsch sound in general) and something along the lines of the Master and Dynamic MW07? The latter seems like one of the only options where the descriptions I'm reading match the sound I'm looking for. I know Klipsch themselves make a True Wireless IEM but they changed their physical design starting with the S6 and they no longer fit my ears whatsoever. I'm worried about trying the T5 out due to similarities, especially since the only brick and mortar store around that carries them isn't accepting returns right now due to Covid. Other recommendations are appreciated, of course.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #23,020 of 62,747
Valid reasoning, but no .. keeping the X3 .. out of the box they were already pretty wow. Now with even better fitting tips and connected via AptX to my V1 Tempotec player ... very nice!
The ANC ones ... boy, they do stick out, way more than Bose SSF and the XM3s combined! They are also rather 'eh' in sound and the ANC is ... double 'eh' ...

and well, amazon 'trapped' me into pre-ordering the Sony SPoon, errr, I mean SP800N ... supposed to arrive on Wednesday and let's see if I can get a better fit with them
So do the X3 actually accept bigger tips in the case or is it another small case with no room?

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #23,021 of 62,747
Been researching Wireless IEM for the past couple of days. Read a good chunk of this thread and still don't feel like I'm that much closer to reliably being able to choose something than when I started. So I figured I'd make this post before I finally choose a couple of options to buy with return potential.

I've been using Klipsch Image S4 for as long as I can remember. I think I've gone through five or so pairs of them, with a replacement every couple of years as they seem to reliably die around that time. I don't remember the specific models of the alternatives I've tried but I know there was a $200 Shure IEM, a $300 Etymotic IEM, a few different Bose options, and I vaguely remember Ultimate Ears and Beats at some point. All of these were wired. I remember liking the Shure quite a bit, although not as much as the Klispch I ended up with. While I was impressed by the Etymotic, it wasn't really the sound I was looking for and I had major issues with the comfort of the included tips. I hated all the others.

The main thing I'm looking for, and the reason why I've defaulted to the Klipsch S4 all these years, is decent sound separation together with a slightly warm signature. I primarily listen to music that is both complicated in terms of composition and instrument type/quantity and driven by strong energy. Most of what I read suggests that most options (and this is true of cheaper headphones in general) either have more of a balanced sound signature with a potential for strong separation or are heavy on bass to the detriment of clarity. I'm not interested in either/or considering I currently have the option to stick with what I know I enjoy. I will happily accept some weaknesses in how single instruments sound in order to get a degree of separation I find reasonable, however. That's more or less the tradeoff I'm already making with the Klipsch S4.

Anyway, this is long so I'll get to the main point/question.

Does anyone have experience listening to both something along the lines of the S4 (or the Klipsch sound in general) and something along the lines of the Master and Dynamic MW07? The latter seems like one of the only options where the descriptions I'm reading match the sound I'm looking for. I know Klipsch themselves make a True Wireless IEM but they changed their physical design starting with the S6 and they no longer fit my ears whatsoever. I'm worried about trying the T5 out due to similarities, especially since the only brick and mortar store around that carries them isn't accepting returns right now due to Covid. Other recommendations are appreciated, of course.

What genres of music? Energetic and complicated could be metal, edm, etc.

My personal favorite are my Air-XR. Good bass quantity but not overwhelming (as I found the L2P to be, and both more and better than the buds+/xm3 IMO). Good highs, really good vocals/mids and for me clear and clean with good tonality. Has some warmth I find the others I've tried are lacking but not to the point it overshadows anything.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #23,022 of 62,747
That is my observation as well. I wrote here in Feb. "Gotta thank whoever recommended Haylou GT1 plus as I have been enjoying its sound signature immensely. Very organic and natural tone with really good forward projection for TWS. I like it more than FIIL T1X or the tronsmart spunky beats."

same for me. ever since i got it back in earlier February, it has been one of my favourites till this day. I haven't tried the FIIL T1X, but in terms of the stock tuning, I like it more than a few more expensive options I've tried like the Galaxy Buds, Lypertek Tevi, Melomania 1. Also like it more than the very similar Soundpeats TrueDot (qcc3020 version) which was a bit warm for my taste. Though I really wish the volume could go a bit louder though, and after a few months of use, i'm not sure if i'm imagining things, but the connection doesn't seems as stable as it was. Also i noticed depending on which side of the earbuds I was using as the master, the max volume is a little different. Maybe it's a QCC3020 thing.

kLcx3p9.jpg

I'm also still enjoying the KZ Z1 which has a way more dynamic sound. The bass on that thing might be excessive to some, but it works great for me while I'm jogging. Then at home i just tone down the bass a bit. The Ugreen HiTune I got recently has been growing on me too with its full and slightly warm sound. Very pleasing to listen to both at home while chilling or when jogging when I turn up the volume. Just enough of an upper mids boost to make brighter vocals stand out but never too shouty. Not as spacious or as detailed sounding as the GT1 Plus I think, but enjoyable in its own way, and volume output is higher than the GT1 Plus. I think the tuning should be similar to the CM338 which Bartig reviewed though I've not tried that. It is a bit more expensive, but it has aptx, usb-c charging, battery life is decent (~6 hours at 70-75% volume using aptx), and the case (which is only slightly bigger than the GT1 Plus) provides around 2 extra charges. Though sadly no volume controls. Overall, not the best sounding, but decent enough that I would still consider it a well rounded package.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #23,023 of 62,747
That is my observation as well. I wrote here in Feb. "Gotta thank whoever recommended Haylou GT1 plus as I have been enjoying its sound signature immensely. Very organic and natural tone with really good forward projection for TWS. I like it more than FIIL T1X or the tronsmart spunky beats."
The only thing I don't like about the GT1 Plus is the connectivity. They tend to unpair from each other during listening and I'll lose the right side. I have to put them back in the box for a few seconds and then start over. I've reset them several times, but the connectivity to each other and BT has always been shaky. With regards to the BT connectivity, it's just OK at best. I can't stray too far from the signal or the BT connection will start to cut out. With the T1x, I can probably stray nearly twice as far away. Also, the T1x connect to the BT so fast, it happens before I can get them in my ears. If only the GT1 Plus had the connectivity of the T1x, it would be awesome.....

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #23,024 of 62,747
What genres of music? Energetic and complicated could be metal, edm, etc.

My personal favorite are my Air-XR. Good bass quantity but not overwhelming (as I found the L2P to be, and both more and better than the buds+/xm3 IMO). Good highs, really good vocals/mids and for me clear and clean with good tonality. Has some warmth I find the others I've tried are lacking but not to the point it overshadows anything.

Generally metal and edm, yeah.

I need something that can handle the wide variance of instruments often found in progressive and symphonic metal, while still having the energy for power metal and (slightly) more mainstream hard rock. My edm tastes are a bit more specific though. I don't really care for the kind of bass you might associate with club thump, bass drops, or more broadly the dance/club part of edm. For the most part, a sound that works with symphonic metal is also going to work with more classically inspired edm like BT and the power metal sound is going to work with more intense synthwave like Carpenter Brut.

I do listen to quite a bit outside of those genres, but most of it is still pretty busy all things considered. Something like the symphonic metal sound is still likely to work better with the pop music that I listen to than the more common vocal centric sound often associated with it. Hell, even the softer stuff I listen to like math rock is well above the mainstream standard for complexity.

Do you mean the Mavin Air-XR? $120 on amazon right now. I'd prefer to try something I can get brick and mortar with a strong return policy first, but I've bookmarked it in case I give up on the mainstream options.

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #23,025 of 62,747
These are more comfortable to me than the SoundPEATS Truebuds and TrueAir, as they are more mininal around the stem. I can hang them in my ears and not notice them after a while.

Well, there are half-in-ears that put through more surrounding noises, so I guess this has a relative okay noise isolation for half-in-ears. However, I guess they mean active noise reduction during phone calls. And yes - it does that. You may have to warn people with these that you're still on the line. That's how silent surrounding noises can be during calls. Really impressive.

By the way - I think the Mpow M30 is one of the best sounding wireless earbuds under $50 now. More of you had a chance to listen to it?

Any issues with distortion? I saw some reviews (can't remember who exactly) that mentioned them crackling at higher volumes. Maybe they got duds though.

I went black - I usually like a stealth look. Does the lower audio volume after a loud noise only happen if ambient mode is on, but doesn't happen when it's off?
I wonder if the black eartips are made of a better material compared to the lighter ones with other versions, but they still seem transluscent though. For wired IEMs in the past, Audio-Technica tips were my go-to but when I bought clear instead of black ones, they seemed more firm and difficult to initially install onto IEMs.

I'm referring to the ambient sound feed, not the volume of the audio itself. Actually, having the volume of music ducking slightly according to ambient sound volume would be pretty cool a pretty cool option to have. I find it cumbersome I either have to turn down the volume significantly (on the Buds+) or have it decrease too much by default (on the Aufo M1). It's a shame the Buds+ don't have the quick attention mode of the original Galaxy Buds or Sony products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back