Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 29, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #23,071 of 62,746
Maybe a good thing I was stuck in the middle of nowhere last week and missed all that M&D partner40 hooooopla ..
but I recall someone saying the MW07 GO can be found for 120$ ...
may I ask WHERE???

I feel like I need one of those in my stable :D

That was probably with the 40% off code.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #23,072 of 62,746
Maybe a good thing I was stuck in the middle of nowhere last week and missed all that M&D partner40 hooooopla ..
but I recall someone saying the MW07 GO can be found for 120$ ...
may I ask WHERE???

I feel like I need one of those in my stable :D
You're going to need a whole farm, not just the stable soon!

BTW did you see my question earlier about what tips you recommend for the Edifier X3?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #23,073 of 62,746
You're going to need a whole farm, not just the stable soon!

BTW did you see my question earlier about what tips you recommend for the Edifier X3?
Sorry, that one eluded me ...

to be honest, I am very happy with the tips that came with them ... bit of a new shape that I already saw some other TWS with (maybe the KZ Z1?) ... more cylindrical in shape, less drop-y

I do have a bunch of tips I could try around with, but I have to be in the right mood, or it has to be a seal emergency :) Also not good at recalling which ones are which, I also think we need a better common nomenclature as to describe certain aspects of those tips ... and then it starts feeling like homework :D

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #23,074 of 62,746
I've been using the M&D MW07plus for a couple of hours this evening after they arrived earlier in the day.

Nice packaging from M&D. Charging case is really nice but a fingerprint magnet, not an issue though.
Earphones are really well made and look excellent, I went for the black quartz version.

Sound wise, first listen I thought there was no bass, very thin sounding but tried the large tips and hey presto, bass had arrived.
Not as deep or impactful bass as the MTW2 however it is quite subtle and if the track requires bass it delivers.
Mids and highs are very smooth and detailed, plenty of energy, nice crispness to the sound.

I wouldn't say these were particularly inferior or superior to the MTW2, the senns have the better bass response but the MW07+ is for me more detailed elsewhere on the spectrum.

Comfort is excellent, the the earfins do a great job although I'll test them properly whe out walking the dogs tomorrow.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #23,075 of 62,746
I've been using the M&D MW07plus for a couple of hours this evening after they arrived earlier in the day.

Nice packaging from M&D. Charging case is really nice but a fingerprint magnet, not an issue though.
Earphones are really well made and look excellent, I went for the black quartz version.

Sound wise, first listen I thought there was no bass, very thin sounding but tried the large tips and hey presto, bass had arrived.
Not as deep or impactful bass as the MTW2 however it is quite subtle and if the track requires bass it delivers.
Mids and highs are very smooth and detailed, plenty of energy, nice crispness to the sound.

I wouldn't say these were particularly inferior or superior to the MTW2, the senns have the better bass response but the MW07+ is for me more detailed elsewhere on the spectrum.

Comfort is excellent, the the earfins do a great job although I'll test them properly whe out walking the dogs tomorrow.
Loving the beryllium driver. It's a clarity that's defined, yet not rough around the edges. I don't find them bass light, as there is a tasteful emphasis over neutral. You definitely need a good seal with these, as they are unforgiving if you can't get the right fit. They shaped in a manner that can give one the impression the seal is good (90% seal), but it'll kill the bass. I originally was using the L tips with the M wings, but I noticed the M wings made them sit ever so slightly further away, even though the seal felt good. I changed to the S wings and presto, the seal is now undoubtedly amazing. These play with rock especially well. Rock on.

1593476990218.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #23,076 of 62,746
Welp, I'm shocked.

Got a pair of MW07 Go as my first choice and a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds + as a backup. Been listening to both with different tips/wings and different styles of music for a few hours now. Turns out that I vastly prefer the sound of the Galaxy Buds. Really wasn't expecting that after many years of using a Klipsch IEM.

There's definitely some things I prefer about the MW07. The case feels nice. It's got texture and a nice snap to the lid. It's small enough to pocket easily and the fabric gives it nice grip. Lots of tip and wing options. Unboxing felt premium. They have a solid weight and don't feel like they're going to fall out, even with the small wings that don't fit my ears. I appreciate the quick play guide being made out of actual ****ing paper. The general look of the earphones themselves aren't really my style but they do look solid at least. My mother referred to them as 'professional' looking.

The Samsung case has that gloss nonsense I hate so much. No matter how I hold it, it always feels like I'm about to drop it. Same with the buds themselves. Less tip options. Unboxing is clearly designed for volume. Tips and wings were a slight concern to remove without feeling like I'm going to rip the paper of a product I may be returning. Quick play guide is standard volume packaging. Mother shuddered when she saw the earphones themselves and said they 'look like pokeballs.' I don't disagree.

Sound is a different story though. The MW07 definitely has a very full bodied sound, at least. The main drawback of the S4's I've been using for years has been the hollow sound. They could separate about as well as anything I've heard but individual sounds were hollow and tinny, lacking a proper fullness with just about every instrument. These are a huge upgrade in that regard. Unfortunately, they also have that 'muffled bass' sound that I usually associate with Bose. It's not even necessarily too much bass or low quality bass. It's just so forward that it overpowers everything else to the extent that everything heavily bleeds together. Guitar sounds very 'general' without having clear attack and decay. Keyboard (and bass guitar) can often border on inaudible if other sounds are more forward at a given time. Drum patterns lack distinction.

Some songs with already muffled production were completely unlistenable. So little distinction that it might as well just be noise. The only genre where I could find a reasonable level of separation and even just general articulation was hip-hop, which in my case at least might as well qualify as cherry picking for simplicity. Even pop music suffered from muffled vocal presentation due to bass bleed. This was the case with all tips and wings. Medium tips fit me the best but suffer from the worst bleed. Small tips soften the bleed a bit but strongly strip out body, arguably the worst of both worlds. Medium definitely sounds like they seem to want to sound. Small is just too odd to sound intentional. Swapping in the small wings (with medium tips) seem to do the best job of reducing bleed without killing body, even though the wings don't actually fit my ears at that size. The best job isn't nearly good enough though.

This is the sound I was trying to avoid.

This is already long enough that I feel comfortable describing the Galaxy Buds + as largely 'not all those other things I just described.' Everything sounds clean and refined. They separate even better than my S4 did, but they also have far more body. Not as much body as the MW07, but dramatically more controlled. Every song I listened to sounded significantly better, even those where you would think the MW07's stronger bass output would provide more energy. I haven't yet gotten the feeling I sometimes get with a more neutral sound where accent and musical personality can feel a bit lifeless. Everything is still full of life here. It just goes down a lot easier.

They're also more comfortable to wear over time, even if I do still hate the stupid gloss.

All of the above said though, I do have a question for those more knowledgeable with IPX ratings than I am. How much do I have to worry about rain with the Galaxy Buds meager IPX2 rating? I'm not too concerned with sweat but I do use IEMs as my portable headphones, which means they're used largely outdoors. I don't always have the option to immediately get indoors when rain happens.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #23,077 of 62,746
Welp, I'm shocked.

Got a pair of MW07 Go as my first choice and a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds + as a backup. Been listening to both with different tips/wings and different styles of music for a few hours now. Turns out that I vastly prefer the sound of the Galaxy Buds. Really wasn't expecting that after many years of using a Klipsch IEM.

There's definitely some things I prefer about the MW07. The case feels nice. It's got texture and a nice snap to the lid. It's small enough to pocket easily and the fabric gives it nice grip. Lots of tip and wing options. Unboxing felt premium. They have a solid weight and don't feel like they're going to fall out, even with the small wings that don't fit my ears. I appreciate the quick play guide being made out of actual ****ing paper. The general look of the earphones themselves aren't really my style but they do look solid at least. My mother referred to them as 'professional' looking.

The Samsung case has that gloss nonsense I hate so much. No matter how I hold it, it always feels like I'm about to drop it. Same with the buds themselves. Less tip options. Unboxing is clearly designed for volume. Tips and wings were a slight concern to remove without feeling like I'm going to rip the paper of a product I may be returning. Quick play guide is standard volume packaging. Mother shuddered when she saw the earphones themselves and said they 'look like pokeballs.' I don't disagree.

Sound is a different story though. The MW07 definitely has a very full bodied sound, at least. The main drawback of the S4's I've been using for years has been the hollow sound. They could separate about as well as anything I've heard but individual sounds were hollow and tinny, lacking a proper fullness with just about every instrument. These are a huge upgrade in that regard. Unfortunately, they also have that 'muffled bass' sound that I usually associate with Bose. It's not even necessarily too much bass or low quality bass. It's just so forward that it overpowers everything else to the extent that everything heavily bleeds together. Guitar sounds very 'general' without having clear attack and decay. Keyboard (and bass guitar) can often border on inaudible if other sounds are more forward at a given time. Drum patterns lack distinction.

Some songs with already muffled production were completely unlistenable. So little distinction that it might as well just be noise. The only genre where I could find a reasonable level of separation and even just general articulation was hip-hop, which in my case at least might as well qualify as cherry picking for simplicity. Even pop music suffered from muffled vocal presentation due to bass bleed. This was the case with all tips and wings. Medium tips fit me the best but suffer from the worst bleed. Small tips soften the bleed a bit but strongly strip out body, arguably the worst of both worlds. Medium definitely sounds like they seem to want to sound. Small is just too odd to sound intentional. Swapping in the small wings (with medium tips) seem to do the best job of reducing bleed without killing body, even though the wings don't actually fit my ears at that size. The best job isn't nearly good enough though.

This is the sound I was trying to avoid.

This is already long enough that I feel comfortable describing the Galaxy Buds + as largely 'not all those other things I just described.' Everything sounds clean and refined. They separate even better than my S4 did, but they also have far more body. Not as much body as the MW07, but dramatically more controlled. Every song I listened to sounded significantly better, even those where you would think the MW07's stronger bass output would provide more energy. I haven't yet gotten the feeling I sometimes get with a more neutral sound where accent and musical personality can feel a bit lifeless. Everything is still full of life here. It just goes down a lot easier.

They're also more comfortable to wear over time, even if I do still hate the stupid gloss.

All of the above said though, I do have a question for those more knowledgeable with IPX ratings than I am. How much do I have to worry about rain with the Galaxy Buds meager IPX2 rating? I'm not too concerned with sweat but I do use IEMs as my portable headphones, which means they're used largely outdoors. I don't always have the option to immediately get indoors when rain happens.

Have you tried different tips with the MW07? I have been using Spinfit CP100Z tips on my MW07 Go and they have been working great for me (preferred them to the stock tips and some of the other Spinfit tips I tried). I had to go up to a size L with the Spinfit CP100Z after trying M and the CP360s (M and L) due to the way they sit in my ears but it has worked great over the last 8 or 9 months I've been using them. They have no issues fitting in the case either. I never liked the stock tips for these.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #23,078 of 62,746
@HeadphoneAddict or anybody else that might still own both Senn MTW models.

Does the original case work for charging the new model? As stated in an earler post, I lost my MTW2 case last week while cycling, Sennheiser are not yet selling replacement cases. Was curios if the original case will work.

I only have 2 pairs of the original MTW, but I have been told the old case with work with the old and the new (smaller) MTW2 buds. I think the battery drain issue is with the MTW standby mode, and so maybe the original case might give you decent number of re-charges, I don't know.

I'd still contact Sennheiser on the support line and see if they can help with the lost case. It would seem silly that customer service cannot help with that.

Jun 30, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #23,079 of 62,746
just got my gifted mtw2, so time to test it against the jabra 65 or original mavins. I seem to be inbetween the medium and the large tips, the large ones seem shallower than the mediums but larger diameter.. Strange decision to make since mediums give better insertion.

Tested the anc and it luckily works with fans, but less with the diesel generator thats outside

Jun 30, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #23,080 of 62,746
MPOW M30 and M30 Plus impressions:

IMG_6618.jpeg

So far the MPOW M30 do not suck at all, especially for $29. They might be the new budget champs. I want to weigh in on the M30 and M30 Plus on their own merits here, and not directly compared to my other TWS yet. I will compare them to the others after I have these burned in, but my M30 Plus sound a bit better than my M30 with the smaller case.

MPOW M30:

My previous budget $49 T1X were more detailed and transparent sounding than the M30, but the T1X driver flex caused noticeable binding up the right driver. The T1X driver flex was so bad that I had to file for a return, because it took so long to get them to fit without the pressure in my ear canal binding up the drivers. The M30 do need at least 4-5 hours of burn-in to clear up a bit, and they might continue to improve with more time. Out of the box the M30 are simply missing some of that micro-detail that adds to the air and ambience or transparency that makes an IEM disappear behind the music. I used my iPhone 11 Pro Max with Tidal lossless streaming and with Apple Music with lossless CD rips to evaluate them.

The M30's frequency balance between bass, mids, and treble is actually good. The M30 are only slightly colored in the their sound signature, so the problem isn't what they DO or ADD so much as what they DON'T - they just do not sound as open or detailed as my more expensive earbuds. They are not dark sounding, it's just that the treble doesn't seem quite as detailed as with other TWS. So, they don't sound boxy or boomy, tizzy or sibilant, recessed or distant - they don't do anything offensive, but they also don't do anything exceptional. Yet the M30 can be more engaging and entertaining than my APP at times, which are more transparent and detailed sounding but also less energetic and more bland (unless I engage ANC or transparency modes which act like they apply EQ to the APP).

In Post Malone "Psycho" or Camilla Cabello "Havana" the bass is strong and not overdone, and while not super fast it keeps up well enough even at loud volumes, although it didn't feel as deep as I'm used to. Electric bass and electric guitars sound nice in Eric Clapton and BB King "Three o'clock Blues", and pianos are pretty close to being right but don't have quite the speed of attack that more expensive TWS can offer.

The acoustic guitars in Ryan Adams "Dirty Rain" or Chris Jones "Roadhouses and Automobiles" were crisp, and the vocals were also rich and present. I was most impressed with the mids in regards to vocals. But snare drums can sometimes sound a little fake in some recordings. In Pink Floyd "Money" the snare drums sound muffled or veiled while the cash register and tearing paper is sharp and crisp - not sure how they managed that.

In Ryan Adams' next song on the album "Ashes and Fire" with some IEM it's often an irritating or grating recording at very high volumes, where the complex music gets congested sounding with cheap IEM; but I could stand the song at high volume without yanking them out of my ears right away. So, they are more forgiving than many IEM. However, the dynamics of the bass gets lost at higher volumes where it can't keep up with the mids and highs. Another song that can get congested at loud volumes is "Molossus" from the Batman Begins soundtrack, and while the M30 handled this fairly well, the strings and horns in the soundtrack did start to sound a little boxy and artificial starting after 45 second mark at high volumes.

Female vocals were all so done well, including Diana Krall in "Live in Paris" and Halsey "Finally // Beautiful Stranger". There is no sibilance in the vocals, which are forward and engaging. Eric Clapton and BB King sound like themselves when singing in "Three o'clock Blues", and it's like they're singing right next to me.

These are a more warm sound signature than a bright one - the treble is not missing but it is a little recessed or veiled. It's certainly not hot sounding. Cymbals actually don't sound bad like I often hear with many budget IEM. And, in Rutter Requiem "Pie Jesu" these faults tend to disappear, and the flute, harp, and cello seem sharper tha I felt in other recordings; and the deep bass pipe organ was easily heard throughout.

Operation is simple and easy to remember. One tap on the left or right ear bud touch pad will play/pause. Two taps on the left skips back, while two taps on the right skips forward. Three taps on either left or right brings up Siri. A press and hold on the left is volume down, and a press and hold on the right ear bud is volume up. It is possible to trigger the touchpad to pause music while simply adjusting the fit.

When I open up the case the buds wake up, and they made my iPhone pause music when listening with a different set of BT headphones. One time the M30 connected at the same time as the M30 Plus that I was listening to at the time that I opened up the M30 case, and the music paused while both showed as connected in BT settings. I could hit play and the music started again, and I could go to the control panel to select which ones to use.

The size of the M30 + 20 hour case and earbuds are similar to my GBuds+ but with a matt finish to the case. For the same size as Galaxy Buds + they claim 5 hours of battery + 4 extra charges, and I think the Galaxy Buds + will do 7.5 hours with 3 extra charges (25 total vs 28). I had to move up to large tips for a seal, while GBuds+ work fine with the medium tips that came installed on them. The M30 packaging includes extra wings in different sizes, and I might try the large wings too. But they also give you a second set of medium tips along with the small and large ones, and a USB-A to C charge cable. The M30 case has a single soothing medium brightness LED that glows blue when plugged in, and it goes out when it's fully charged.

IMG_6642.jpeg

MPOW M30 PLUS - WHY DO THESE SOUND DIFFERENT?

Out of the box and with no burn-in the M30 Plus were slightly less warm and more neutral sounding. They also had more treble and detail, and were more open and spacious. I only had about 1 hour on the M30 Plus when I started to type this, which I only started using tonight vs 5 hours on the M30 from listening on Saturday and Sunday too. Based on the improved sound, I AM NOT CONVINCED THAT THE M30 Plus ARE THE SAME as the M30, despite looking the same with different cases.

On Amazon Q&A the seller was even saying that we cannot use the M30 with the M30 Plus case, so maybe they really are different? The M30 box says "waterproof" and that feature is missing on the M30 Plus box.

The M30 Plus 95 hour case is closer in size to the Sony XM3 case but about 1/4" less deep - it is 1/2" deeper than the MTW case while at a similar width and height. So, the Plus is still very easy to pocket. As far as I can tell, the M30 buds act like they are charging when placed in the M30 Plus case (glow red ring), although Amazon Q&A says they don't work together. I believe they said the M30 Plus case has a 2600 mah battery, and behind a little pop open cover you will find a USB-C input and a USB-A output, below the 4 LEDS.

The M30 Plus case has 4 bright blinking white LEDs as it charges, with each successive LEDs turning solid until it is full with all 4 lit up solid. As I started typing this had three solid white and the 4th is still blinking. I don't know if they turn off when the case battery is full like the blue LED did the M30 when the case was full, but after a few minutes after becoming full the LEDs did not shut off. When I unplugged the case the LEDs shut off, and there is a button you can press to light them up and check the battery level.

IMG_6636.jpeg

SOUND: I tried all of the test songs again. Pink Floyd "Money" sounds a bit better - snare drums are crisper and more present, and the bass is faster and hits only slightly less. With Post Malone "Psycho" and Ryan Adams "Dirty Rain" however, the bass kicks it up a notch, and the treble is a little brighter and detailed (this is before I have done any burn-in). The bass in Kailee Morgue "Medusa" or Katy Perry "Harleys in Hawaii" was quite good, although those songs had slightly more treble than called for, while Halsey "Beautiful Stranger" and many other songs on the "Manic" album sounded perfect.

More often than not the treble was just fine. The issues I had with the strings and horns in Batman Begins "Molossus" were not there with the M30 Plus, and it sounded noticeably more open and transparent than the M30. I could not stop listening, and I didn't hear that boxiness or artificiality with the M30 Plus that I heard on the soundtrack with the M30. Stevie Ray Vaughn "Tin Pan Alley" sounds much closer to live, as does Eric Clapton and BB King "3 O'clock Blues". Billie Eilish "&burn" or "Bad Guy" sounds tight and fast, with good bass. And the lighting match sound in "&burn" is crisp, while her vocals are intimate without feeling closed in.

A lot of my universal IEM testing is done with my teeth together (jaw closed), rather than my mouth relaxed and hanging a little "slack jawed", since I usually get the best seal, bass, and treble that way. I can usually make bass and treble increase when my teeth are together and decrease them when I relax my jaw. I found the M30 Plus sounded good either way, with my jaw looser and more slack, but at first when I closed my jaw the bass increased while the treble got a little edgy like it needs to burn in - after just an hour of listening the treble was already smoothing out. The M30 sounded best with my jaw position more closed, where the M30 lost a little bass and detail if I kept my jaw slack.

The M30 Plus are either different, or I got the two sets that are not as consistent sounding as they should be, because these M30 Plus sound a bit more audiophile to me. Doing quick AB switching between the M30 and M30 Plus presents a similar flavor yet very different sound quality in my case. This may be a fluke, so I hope to hear from others who have both.

Now, while I don't hear any crinkling sounds of Driver Flex, I did notice at one point when I pushed them deeper into my ears that they got brighter with less bass. And I had to take them out and put them in a couple of times to get the sound back to where it was before, leaving me wondering if it was a fit issue or a driver flex/binding issue. I could pull down on my ear lobes and make it sound like all treble, then let go and not get it back to where it was before, but when I removed and replaced them a couple of times the sound was back to normal again.

Once the sound was normal, I really didn't want to mess with them any more because they sounded so good and I wanted to keep listening, but my findings were repeatable. For these to sound best, without driver flex, I use the large tips with a shallow insertion - this gives me a good seal and bass, with good comfort. The wings keep them in place without needing to shove them in deeply.

Regardless, the M30 Plus sound fun and exciting, and without any EQ needed - I got deep and tight bass, full mids, and crisp treble with good detail and space. The M30 Plus sound like they could cost 2-3x more. They have fairly good passive isolation, and are also very comfortable and don't rub badly anywhere in my ears, nor do they make my ear canals itch or feel sweaty. They are not as refined sounding as the top tier TWS, but for $39 they are very impressive. The only thing I currently hope for is that the treble becomes a smidge more tame with burn-in (same with the N6P), without becoming veiled like my M30. Right now the treble is still less fatiguing and smoother than my Gbuds Plus, so if nothing changes after the 1st hour of burn-in then I'm fine with that, since I still enjoy the Gbuds+ as they are.

I am keeping the M30 Plus for sure. If I can actually swap cases back and forth, or if the M30 become more detailed sounding after further burn-in, I am keeping those too, since they were so cheap. The tiny case would be a plus when wanting to carry multiple items in my pockets. If neither is true then I will offer the M30 to my son or daughter, since I like my M30 Plus much more, but the M30 are not bad enough or expensive enough to need a refund. Like I said, I do think the M30 Plus might have very mild driver flex like I had with my Liberty Air 2, which is minimal and easily handled, making them much more worthy than the T1X in my eyes.

I didn't even have to roll tips yet, nor EQ them like I did with the LA2 before I returned them. I returned the LA2 because at $99 + tax they didn't fill a spot in my collection that couldn't be covered better by something else. Three or four of the professional EQ settings with the Soundcore app sounded good with the LA2, while flat EQ sounded a little bland. And the Hear-ID adjustment in the Soundcore app made the LA2 treble too shrill (to make up for my hearing loss the Soundcore app went a bit too far).

EDITED FOR TYPOS

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #23,081 of 62,746
MPOW M30 and M30 Plus impressions:

So far the MPOW M30 do not suck at all, especially for $29. They might be the new budget champs. I want to weigh in on the M30 and M30 Plus on their own merits here, and not directly compared to my other TWS yet. I will compare them to the others after I have these burned in, but my M30 Plus sound a bit better than my M30 with the smaller case.

MPOW M30:

My previous budget $49 T1X were more detailed and transparent sounding than the M30, but the T1X driver flex caused noticeable binding up the right driver. The T1X driver flex was so bad that I had to file for a return, because it took so long to get them to fit without the pressure in my ear canal binding up the drivers. The M30 do need at least 4-5 hours of burn-in to clear up a bit, and they might continue to improve with more time. Out of the box the M30 are simply missing some of that micro-detail that adds to the air and ambience or transparency that makes an IEM disappear behind the music. I used my iPhone 11 Pro Max with Tidal lossless streaming and with Apple Music with lossless CD rips to evaluate them.

The M30's frequency balance between bass, mids, and treble is actually good. The M30 are only slightly colored in the their sound signature, so the problem isn't what they DO or ADD so much as what they DON'T - they just do not sound as open or detailed as my more expensive earbuds. They are not dark sounding, it's just that the treble doesn't seem quite as detailed as with other TWS. So, they don't sound boxy or boomy, tizzy or sibilant, recessed or distant - they don't do anything offensive, but they also don't do anything exceptional. Yet the M30 can be more engaging and entertaining than my APP at times, which are more transparent and detailed sounding but also less energetic and more bland (unless I engage ANC or transparency modes which act like they apply EQ to the APP).

In Post Malone "Psycho" or Camilla Cabello "Havana" the bass is strong and not overdone, and while not super fast it keeps up well enough even at loud volumes, although it didn't feel as deep as I'm used to. Electric bass and electric guitars sound nice in Eric Clapton and BB King "Three o'clock Blues", and pianos are pretty close to being right but don't have quite the speed of attack that more expensive TWS can offer.

The acoustic guitars in Ryan Adams "Dirty Rain" or Chris Jones "Roadhouses and Automobiles" were crisp, and the vocals were also rich and present. I was most impressed with the mids in regards to vocals. But snare drums can sometimes sound a little fake in some recordings. In Pink Floyd "Money" the snare drums sound muffled or veiled while the cash register and tearing paper is sharp and crisp - not sure how they managed that.

In Ryan Adams' next song on the album "Ashes and Fire" with some IEM it's often an irritating or grating recording at very high volumes, where the complex music gets congested sounding with cheap IEM; but I could stand the song at high volume without yanking them out of my ears right away. So, they are more forgiving than many IEM. However, the dynamics of the bass gets lost at higher volumes where it can't keep up with the mids and highs. Another song that can get congested at loud volumes is "Molossus" from the Batman Begins soundtrack, and while the M30 handled this fairly well, the strings and horns in the soundtrack did start to sound a little boxy and artificial starting after 45 second mark at high volumes.

Female vocals were all so done well, including Diana Krall in "Live in Paris" and Halsey "Finally // Beautiful Stranger". There is no sibilance in the vocals, which are forward and engaging. Eric Clapton and BB King sound like themselves when singing in "Three o'clock Blues", and it's like they're singing right next to me.

These are a more warm sound signature than a bright one - the treble is not missing but it is a little recessed or veiled. It's certainly not hot sounding. Cymbals actually don't sound bad like I often hear with many budget IEM. And, in Rutter Requiem "Pie Jesu" these faults tend to disappear, and the flute, harp, and cello seem sharper tha I felt in other recordings; and the deep bass pipe organ was easily heard throughout.

Operation is simple and easy to remember. One tap on the left or right ear bud touch pad will play/pause. Two taps on the left skips back, while two taps on the right skips forward. Three taps on either left or right brings up Siri. A press and hold on the left is volume down, and a press and hold on the right ear bud is volume up. It is possible to trigger the touchpad to pause music while simply adjusting the fit.

When I open up the case the buds wake up, and they made my iPhone pause music when listening with a different set of BT headphones. One time the M30 connected at the same time as the M30 Plus that I was listening to at the time that I opened up the M30 case, and the music paused while both showed as connected in BT settings. I could hit play and the music started again, and I could go to the control panel to select which ones to use.

The size of the M30 + 20 hour case and earbuds are similar to my GBuds+ but with a matt finish to the case. For the same size as Galaxy Buds + they claim 5 hours of battery + 4 extra charges, and I think the Galaxy Buds + will do 7.5 hours with 3 extra charges (25 total vs 28). I had to move up to large tips for a seal, while GBuds+ work fine with the medium tips that came installed on them. The M30 packaging includes extra wings in different sizes, and I might try the large wings too. But they also give you a second set of medium tips along with the small and large ones, and a USB-A to C charge cable. The M30 case has a single soothing medium brightness LED that glows blue when plugged in, and it goes out when it's fully charged.

MPOW M30 PLUS - WHY DO THESE SOUND DIFFERENT?

Out of the box and with no burn-in the M30 Plus were slightly less warm and more neutral sounding. They also had more treble and detail, and were more open and spacious. I only had about 1 hour on the M30 Plus when I started to type this, which I only started using tonight vs 5 hours on the M30 from listening on Saturday and Sunday too. Based on the improved sound, I AM NOT CONVINCED THAT THE M30 Plus ARE THE SAME as the M30, despite looking the same with different cases.

On Amazon Q&A the seller was even saying that we cannot use the M30 with the M30 Plus case, so maybe they really are different? The M30 box says "waterproof" and that feature is missing on the M30 Plus box.

The M30 Plus 95 hour case is closer in size to the Sony XM3 case but about 1/4" less deep - it is 1/2" deeper than the MTW case while at a similar width and height. So, the Plus is still very easy to pocket. As far as I can tell, the M30 buds act like they are charging when placed in the M30 Plus case (glow red ring), although Amazon Q&A says they don't work together. I believe they said the M30 Plus case has a 2600 mah battery, and behind a little pop open cover you will find a USB-C input and a USB-A output, below the 4 LEDS.

The M30 Plus case has 4 bright blinking white LEDs as it charges, with each successive LEDs turning solid until it is full with all 4 lit up solid. As I started typing this had three solid white and the 4th is still blinking. I don't know if they turn off when the case battery is full like the blue LED did the M30 when the case was full, but after a few minutes after becoming full the LEDs did not shut off. When I unplugged the case the LEDs shut off, and there is a button you can press to light them up and check the battery level.

SOUND: I tried all of the test songs again. Pink Floyd "Money" sounds a bit better - snare drums are crisper and more present, and the bass is faster and hits only slightly less. With Post Malone "Psycho" and Ryan Adams "Dirty Rain" however, the bass kicks it up a notch, and the treble is a little brighter and detailed (this is before I have done any burn-in). The bass in Kailee Morgue "Medusa" or Katy Perry "Harleys in Hawaii" was quite good, although those songs had slightly more treble than called for, while Halsey "Beautiful Stranger" and many other songs on the "Manic" album sounded perfect.

More often than not the treble was just fine. The issues I had with the strings and horns in Batman Begins "Molossus" were not there with the M30 Plus, and it sounded noticeably more open and transparent than the M30. I could not stop listening, and I didn't hear that boxiness or artificiality with the M30 Plus that I heard on the soundtrack with the M30. Stevie Ray Vaughn "Tin Pan Alley" sounds much closer to live, as does Eric Clapton and BB King "3 O'clock Blues". Billie Eilish "&burn" or "Bad Guy" sounds tight and fast, with good bass. And the lighting match sound in "&burn" is crisp, while her vocals are intimate without feeling closed in.

A lot of my universal IEM testing is done with my teeth together (jaw closed), rather than my mouth relaxed and hanging a little "slack jawed", since I usually get the best seal, bass, and treble that way. I can usually make bass and treble increase when my teeth are together and decrease them when I relax my jaw. I found the M30 Plus sounded good either way, with my jaw looser and more slack, but at first when I closed my jaw the bass increased while the treble got a little edgy like it needs to burn in - after just an hour of listening the treble was already smoothing out. The M30 sounded best with my jaw position more closed, where the M30 lost a little bass and detail if I kept my jaw slack.

The M30 Plus are either different, or I got the two sets that are not as consistent sounding as they should be, because these M30 Plus sound a bit more audiophile to me. Doing quick AB switching between the M30 and M30 Plus presents a similar flavor yet very different sound quality in my case. This may be a fluke, so I hope to hear from others who have both.

Now, while I don't hear any crinkling sounds of Driver Flex, I did notice at one point when I pushed them deeper into my ears that they got brighter with less bass. And I had to take them out and put them in a couple of times to get the sound back to where it was before, leaving me wondering if it was a fit issue or a driver flex/binding issue. I could pull down on my ear lobes and make it sound like all treble, then let go and not get it back to where it was before, but when I removed and replaced them a couple of times the sound was back to normal again.

Once the sound was normal, I really didn't want to mess with them any more because they sounded so good and I wanted to keep listening, but my findings were repeatable. For these to sound best, without driver flex, I use the large tips with a shallow insertion - this gives me a good seal and bass, with good comfort. The wings keep them in place without needing to shove them in deeply.

Regardless, the M30 Plus sound fun and exciting, and without any EQ needed - I got deep and tight bass, full mids, and crisp treble with good detail and space. The M30 Plus sound like they could cost 2-3x more. They have fairly good passive isolation, and are also very comfortable and don't rub badly anywhere in my ears, nor do they make my ear canals itch or feel sweaty. They are not as refined sounding as the top tier TWS, but for $39 they are very impressive. The only thing I currently hope for is that the treble becomes a smidge more tame with burn-in (same with the N6P), without becoming veiled like my M30. Right now the treble is still less fatiguing and smoother than my Gbuds Plus, so if nothing changes after the 1st hour of burn-in then I'm fine with that, since I still enjoy the Gbuds+ as they are.

I am keeping the M30 Plus for sure. If I can actually swap cases back and forth, or if the M30 become more detailed sounding after further burn-in, I am keeping those too, since they were so cheap. The tiny case would be a plus when wanting to carry multiple items in my pockets. If neither is true then I will offer the M30 to my son or daughter, since I like my M30 Plus much more, but the M30 are not bad enough or expensive enough to need a refund. Like I said, I do think the M30 Plus might have very mild driver flex like I had with my Liberty Air 2, which is minimal and easily handled, making them much more worthy than the T1X in my eyes.

I didn't even have to roll tips yet, nor EQ them like I did with the LA2 before I returned them. I returned the LA2 because at $99 + tax they didn't fill a spot in my collection that couldn't be covered better by something else. Three or four of the professional EQ settings with the Soundcore app sounded good with the LA2, while flat EQ sounded a little bland. And the Hear-ID adjustment in the Soundcore app made the LA2 treble too shrill (to make up for my hearing loss the Soundcore app went a bit too far).

EDITED FOR TYPOS

Here a quirky, somewhat awesome addition to the M30 ... apparently you can buy single earbud replacements in case you lose one! So far I only have seen this from some of the big names .. and also, so far, (knocking on wood really hard), I never lost a single bud .. I might have misplaced a whole set (and still hoping to find some day), but never a single ... but i can see how this could happen to cyclists ...
m30lost.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #23,082 of 62,746
I only have 2 pairs of the original MTW, but I have been told the old case with work with the old and the new (smaller) MTW2 buds. I think the battery drain issue is with the MTW standby mode, and so maybe the original case might give you decent number of re-charges, I don't know.

I'd still contact Sennheiser on the support line and see if they can help with the lost case. It would seem silly that customer service cannot help with that.

I've contacted Sennhesier and they were next to useless really. Acknowledged that their site has images of the MTW2 charging case but not yet available and they were unsure when or if it would be. I can see me buying another set and ending up with a spare pair of earbuds!
I'm going to give it a month or so.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #23,083 of 62,746
As a Public Service Announcement, I received my refund from Master & Dynamic today for the MW65 I purchased at the same time I bought the MW07 Plus. For the record, they replied to my email the day after my refund request and issued a full refund (no shipping charges) the day after they received the item from FedEx.

I HIGHLY recommend purchasing directly from Master & Dynamic vs. Amazon, etc.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #23,084 of 62,746
Have you tried different tips with the MW07? I have been using Spinfit CP100Z tips on my MW07 Go and they have been working great for me (preferred them to the stock tips and some of the other Spinfit tips I tried). I had to go up to a size L with the Spinfit CP100Z after trying M and the CP360s (M and L) due to the way they sit in my ears but it has worked great over the last 8 or 9 months I've been using them. They have no issues fitting in the case either. I never liked the stock tips for these.

I considered trying out my S4 tips right after putting the MW07 back in the box. I decided against it and effectively gave up mainly because I don't think there is anything wrong with the sound I was getting from them. The criticisms I have of them match the criticisms of everyone else I've seen who doesn't like them (feel like I should've trusted crinacle here) and while I don't think the positives are worth the negatives they did exist with the right music. With the medium tips and small wings I feel like they sounded about how they're probably supposed to sound.

In more positive news, I don't think my post yesterday did the Galaxy Buds + justice. These things are ****ing amazing. Not just better than expected. Not just great for the form factor. Just straight up incredible by any standard. I tried out a few of the more popular wireless over ear headphones a couple years ago (multiple sennheiser, newest bose, klipsch, etc) and these things blow all of them straight out of the water. They might actually have better detail and separation than my Hifiman HE-400i. I doubt they'll be outright replacing them due mainly to comfort and soundstage for movies, but what I'm hearing from these things is particularly crazy for a $150 mass market portable product heavy on convenience and feature set.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #23,085 of 62,746
I considered trying out my S4 tips right after putting the MW07 back in the box. I decided against it and effectively gave up mainly because I don't think there is anything wrong with the sound I was getting from them. The criticisms I have of them match the criticisms of everyone else I've seen who doesn't like them (feel like I should've trusted crinacle here) and while I don't think the positives are worth the negatives they did exist with the right music. With the medium tips and small wings I feel like they sounded about how they're probably supposed to sound.

In more positive news, I don't think my post yesterday did the Galaxy Buds + justice. These things are ****ing amazing. Not just better than expected. Not just great for the form factor. Just straight up incredible by any standard. I tried out a few of the more popular wireless over ear headphones a couple years ago (multiple sennheiser, newest bose, klipsch, etc) and these things blow all of them straight out of the water. They might actually have better detail and separation than my Hifiman HE-400i. I doubt they'll be outright replacing them due mainly to comfort and soundstage for movies, but what I'm hearing from these things is particularly crazy for a $150 mass market portable product heavy on convenience and feature set.

Its funny how we can hear things differently.
I found the Galaxy Buds+ to lacking in bass and general overall detail. Out of the wireless earphones the Galaxy were the weakest.
Shows that it is possible for us to all hear things differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back