Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 7, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #20,476 of 62,300
It is more of a question if Qualcomm would provide/license Sony with the necessary codecs (receiver) for the chip in the WF-1000XM3. It would not be in Qualcomm's best interest to do that, and they'd rather Sony buy Qualcomm's BT chips with aptX support included.

From my investigating, that WF-1000XM3 page on the aptX was online since February 14th. If it was a mistake, it should have been removed but it was up for 2 weeks. The photo from the WF-1000XM3 page is still on Qualcomm's server, so either they didn't delete (likely) it or an update to aptX is still coming. I am hopeful but doubt it. The odd thing is, this happened on Qualcomm's own aptX site, and not some third party site, so why they would put it up without confirming this is puzzling.

Qualcomm has provided the necessary aptX codec for their older walkmans (A30, A40,A50, ZX500), since they all could work with aptX headphones, even though their Bluetooth chips were mediatek based and not from Qualcomm. So I suspect Qualcomm has no issue with providing manufacturers with access to the aptX codec (transmission) since then these products are compatible with headphones using Qualcomm's BT chips with atpX support. There are countless other media players that also support aptX, and I am sure not all of them use Qualcomm's BT chips.

So unless Qualcomm has changed their mind or come to some agreement with Sony regarding aptX support on the WF-1000XM3, I do not think we will see aptX on them. I feel LDAC is more likley (330 option) rather than aptX but I heard that is planned for the successor, WF-1000XM4. Sony could add LDAC at this very moment to the WF-1000XM3 but because battery life would take a big hit, they decided not to include it, since lackluster battery life was one complaint with the first generation WF-1000X and Sony's goal was to fix this.

As for the chip in the WF-1000XM3, it is a Mediatek MT2811, so this is why no baked in aptX support. Quite a few other Sony headsets are on this platform, all of the h.ear on 3 line and WI-1000XM2, with at least 1 or 2 more upcoming truly wireless headsets as well (WF-SP800N, WF-XB700). Sony has dropped aptX support on the account of the new chip, h.ear on 3 and WI-1000XM2 all lack aptx, but do include LDAC.
Is there a non-Qualcomm/CSR TWS that currently supports AptX codec? If they don't want to bring it to non-Qualcomm chips, it might be because they want to tout the "True Wireless Stereo Plus" feature exclusively on their chips.

Aside from potentially higher quality audio or lower latency, and the fact that Windows 10 doesn't support AAC, I really don't see much hype in the QCC3020. I saw many reviews touting single-bud use but it is clunky compared to solutions by Realtek/Airoha. You'd expect a TWS with independent connections to simply turn one of them off instead of pausing everything. Only El Jefe's recent Top 5 list really took note of this issue.

It's also interesting the Audio-Technica ATH-CK3TW supports AptX but not AAC. If they're using QCC3020, I strongly suspect they disabled it intentionally.

I'm wondering if anyone here has fiddled around with the Gaia Control app. It seems to be a way to get into the backend of CSR chips and update firmware...

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #20,477 of 62,300
I had the 65t’s and for me the cp-360’s were a big improvement in seal and isolation and also brought out better overall tonality. Unfortunately I had to return mine due to them having a hard time pairing and consistent dropouts. These were bought as a refurbished pair off amazon.

Thanks for reply. I might just have to buy some then :)

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #20,478 of 62,300
Doesn't work for everyone though, I sold my 65Ts since I had no use for them anymore but the CP-360 made them stick out more and they didn't isolate as well. Generally speaking putting the CP-360s on most of my TWS they seem to work better at first but problems quickly appear (isolation, "trebly" sound, and I go back to other tips, often the original ones.

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #20,479 of 62,300
Yooo glad to have you back man. I went mia for a bit too. Will def let you know bout the Boltune ANC buds when I get them in hand. I’d start taking notice of these AuSound Hybrids too. Not totally sold yet, but there are certain things I really like about them. Will def be writing a full review after a week or so if work dies down a little :)
Thanks, Man. It's good to be back. I'll have to check out those Ausound Hybrids.

I've been enjoying the Sony buds immensely. Still getting used to their quirks but they let me enjoy music in just about any setting.
I'm really looking forward to the technics release next month but with all the Corona virus measures going on I don't I will be able to give them a listen...
Are you referring to the XM3's? I do like mine. If so, I use mine whenever my APPs are dead or when I want to listen to music and need ANC/Ambient mode. With certain tips like the Symbio's w/ memory foam or the Ikko mem foam tips. the ANC is excellent and I think it's actually better than the APPs, but the ambient mode really pails in comparison to the AirPods Pro and I can't

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #20,480 of 62,300
I'm going to post this again, because I haven't seen much talk about any of the new ANC TWS' besides the Cleer Ally Plus, 1more ANC, Edifier ANC, Dyplay (which I tried and they were fine for the money but had an odd fit and the ANC was about as good as the Echo Buds w/o the passive isolation and had no ambient/transparency mode. Oh and the sound quality was just bass and more bass) So, anyone else tried any of the new ANC TWS'

Very much waiting for Bose for finally rlsing their earbud 700

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #20,481 of 62,300
I'm going to post this again, because I haven't seen much talk about any of the new ANC TWS' besides the Cleer Ally Plus, 1more ANC, Edifier ANC, Dyplay (which I tried and they were fine for the money but had an odd fit and the ANC was about as good as the Echo Buds w/o the passive isolation and had no ambient/transparency mode. Oh and the sound quality was just bass and more bass) So, anyone else tried any of the new ANC TWS' @hifi80sman, @tma6, @mattedialdoc, @gibletzor, @cwill @clerkpalmer where did all my homies go?
Right now, I'm waiting for the new Bose and the new Klipsch T5 II & T5 ANC (the latter pictured below). In the meantime, I've picked up the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and have been experimenting with different portable DACs (FiiO Q5s, FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4). I also have picked up various over-ear options and have been messing around with those.

1583602097911.png

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #20,482 of 62,300
Ordered a pair of the B530 Pro, have been curious about those for a while. I've been curious about the Rimor with the 10mm drivers, too, but no aptX is a hard sell for me.

I've got two pair of the regular B530's, and they are very nice. I've also got 2 pair of the Rimors which I absolutely love. They've gotten mixed reviews on this forum. For me, they are the flattest eq I've heard in a TWS - extremely detailed with a broad soundstage. The 10mm drivers produce bass very accurately, and can go to the lowest registers with no over-hyping of bass, and are very articulate. Other TWS's over-hype the upper-bass, which gives the illusion for some to be a "full sound". Again, for me, it's hard to go back to my other TWS's after using the Rimors, as they just sound a bit muddy and congested in comparison. As a Samsung 10+ owner, I prefer aptX, but I don't miss it with the Rimors - for what that's worth.

Also, it looks like Tranya has a 50% off sale now. I don't know if that's 50% of msrp or their usual sale price.

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #20,483 of 62,300
Yooo glad to have you back man. I went mia for a bit too. Will def let you know bout the Boltune ANC buds when I get them in hand. I’d start taking notice of these AuSound Hybrids too. Not totally sold yet, but there are certain things I really like about them. Will def be writing a full review after a week or so if work dies down a little :)
Looks like Nuhera has some new 'buds coming out soon.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #20,484 of 62,300
For those who have the Klipsch T5 true wireless. I updated with the app and now when I pause music for a few minutes the headphones lost connection and power off. Tried resetting and repairing, but nothing fixes the issue. Real bummer.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #20,485 of 62,300
For those who have the Klipsch T5 true wireless. I updated with the app and now when I pause music for a few minutes the headphones lost connection and power off. Tried resetting and repairing, but nothing fixes the issue. Real bummer.
Meh, has some issues with the T5, including secure fit, so waiting for the updated version which supposedly corrects the ergonomics.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #20,486 of 62,300
Meh, has some issues with the T5, including secure fit, so waiting for the updated version which supposedly corrects the ergonomics.
We can only hope...

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #20,487 of 62,300
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #20,490 of 62,300
Is there a non-Qualcomm/CSR TWS that currently supports AptX codec? If they don't want to bring it to non-Qualcomm chips, it might be because they want to tout the "True Wireless Stereo Plus" feature exclusively on their chips.

Aside from potentially higher quality audio or lower latency, and the fact that Windows 10 doesn't support AAC, I really don't see much hype in the QCC3020. I saw many reviews touting single-bud use but it is clunky compared to solutions by Realtek/Airoha. You'd expect a TWS with independent connections to simply turn one of them off instead of pausing everything. Only El Jefe's recent Top 5 list really took note of this issue.

It's also interesting the Audio-Technica ATH-CK3TW supports AptX but not AAC. If they're using QCC3020, I strongly suspect they disabled it intentionally.

I'm wondering if anyone here has fiddled around with the Gaia Control app. It seems to be a way to get into the backend of CSR chips and update firmware...

This is one reason Sony moved away from Qualcomm, in order to have truly wireless with Qualcomm's BT chips, the smartphone (or device) would need to use a high end Snapdragon SoC, either 845 or higher or the new 855, I do not recall. So this basically eliminates all iphones, ipods, walkmans from sony, and other media players. Sony did not want this, so they approached Mediatek/Airoha to have a truly wireless BT chip that worked with all devices and models.

I don't think Qualcomm wants to license out aptX, maybe they will change their minds in the future, who knows.

AAC has license fees, so this is maybe why it was dropped by some.

https://www.via-corp.com/licensing/aac/license-fees/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back