Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #20,491 of 62,596
This is one reason Sony moved away from Qualcomm, in order to have truly wireless with Qualcomm's BT chips, the smartphone (or device) would need to use a high end Snapdragon SoC, either 845 or higher or the new 855, I do not recall. So this basically eliminates all iphones, ipods, walkmans from sony, and other media players. Sony did not want this, so they approached Mediatek/Airoha to have a truly wireless BT chip that worked with all devices and models.

I don't think Qualcomm wants to license out aptX, maybe they will change their minds in the future, who knows.

AAC has license fees, so this is maybe why it was dropped by some.

https://www.via-corp.com/licensing/aac/license-fees/

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. The snapdragon 845 and newer Soc's can utilize Qualcomm's TWS+ which is each bud connecting to the phone separately.

The Lypertek Tevi for example supports this if your phone has an 845 or newer chip, but if the phone you're using doesn't support this you can still use the Tevi in a master/slave configuration with any phone and still have aptx or AAC.

So, Sony could have still used a Qualcomm chip and still had aptx and AAC and be compatible with any phone.

If I'm understanding correctly, all true wireless with the exception of ones that support Qualcomm's TWS+ all work in a master/slave configuration where only one bud is connected to the phone, and the other channel is sent from one bud to the other.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #20,492 of 62,596
Ordered a pair of the B530 Pro, have been curious about those for a while. I've been curious about the Rimor with the 10mm drivers, too, but no aptX is a hard sell for me.
Both versions of the B530 are better than the Rimors. They're not bad, but don't bother for the extra money...

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #20,493 of 62,596
I'm going to post this again, because I haven't seen much talk about any of the new ANC TWS' besides the Cleer Ally Plus, 1more ANC, Edifier ANC, Dyplay (which I tried and they were fine for the money but had an odd fit and the ANC was about as good as the Echo Buds w/o the passive isolation and had no ambient/transparency mode. Oh and the sound quality was just bass and more bass) So, anyone else tried any of the new ANC TWS' @hifi80sman, @tma6, @mattedialdoc, @gibletzor, @cwill @clerkpalmer where did all my homies go?
I got really behind on keeping up with this because of the lack of full emails too!. I just got my Gbuds+ a few days ago and putting them through the paces, but haven't been spending a whole lot of money on TWS lately. Got a baby coming soon, so I have to behave with the wallet! :)

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #20,494 of 62,596
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. The snapdragon 845 and newer Soc's can utilize Qualcomm's TWS+ which is each bud connecting to the phone separately.

The Lypertek Tevi for example supports this if your phone has an 845 or newer chip, but if the phone you're using doesn't support this you can still use the Tevi in a master/slave configuration with any phone and still have aptx or AAC.

So, Sony could have still used a Qualcomm chip and still had aptx and AAC and be compatible with any phone.

If I'm understanding correctly, all true wireless with the exception of ones that support Qualcomm's TWS+ all work in a master/slave configuration where only one bud is connected to the phone, and the other channel is sent from one bud to the other.

not quite.. in fact the newer Airoha chip TWS can work independently without master and slave. the giveaway to know this usually they connect to the device with one name only (no L and R designation on the name), and they can seamlessly continue to play music without breaking connection if we put either one in the case. BES chipset (which is rumored would be used in the new pixel buds) and the newer Realtek also can do this without needing snapdragon phones

so seeing that qualcomm TWS+ has a really small number of devices that support it while other competitors can do it with all device, it makes more sense for companies to use other chipset

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #20,497 of 62,596
Very nice
I just got pushed a new firmware for the L2P. Treble improvements and bug fixes by the looks of it.

Thanks for the heads up. Wonder what kind of "bugs" there could be in a TWS...oh right, the noisefloor of the L2Ps (v2 for me), well no change there. Still a great listen overall !

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #20,498 of 62,596
This is one reason Sony moved away from Qualcomm, in order to have truly wireless with Qualcomm's BT chips, the smartphone (or device) would need to use a high end Snapdragon SoC, either 845 or higher or the new 855, I do not recall. So this basically eliminates all iphones, ipods, walkmans from sony, and other media players. Sony did not want this, so they approached Mediatek/Airoha to have a truly wireless BT chip that worked with all devices and models.

I don't think Qualcomm wants to license out aptX, maybe they will change their minds in the future, who knows.

AAC has license fees, so this is maybe why it was dropped by some.

https://www.via-corp.com/licensing/aac/license-fees/
Qualcomm chips work fine with non-Snapdragon devices, they just won't support TWS+ (Samsung, Huawei, Windows 10 to name a few) and/or AptX (only Apple off the top of my head). Even with a TWS+ device the single-bud switching is reportedly still clunky. I suspect Sony might have weighted in this usability issue as well.

Yes, but the single-bud switching of those Realtek or Airoha chips is far more seamless...

not quite.. in fact the newer Airoha chip TWS can work independently without master and slave. the giveaway to know this usually they connect to the device with one name only (no L and R designation on the name), and they can seamlessly continue to play music without breaking connection if we put either one in the case. BES chipset (which is rumored would be used in the new pixel buds) and the newer Realtek also can do this without needing snapdragon phones

so seeing that qualcomm TWS+ has a really small number of devices that support it while other competitors can do it with all device, it makes more sense for companies to use other chipset
Hmm... Is there any proof they are really not master slave? I'm under the impression they just switch the master when you switch buds in a more seamless manner than QCC3020 (in the meantime, they might also do a mono downmix).

I couldn't find what chip Jabees uses but I suspect it to be Airoha. It doesn't suffer from the death grip on my phone as some Realtek devices have, and has one of the best connections I've experienced, but is downright sloppy with Windows 10's SBC (starts stuttering when multitasking among other things).

Mar 8, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #20,500 of 62,596
I’m curious if anyone has directly compared the Mifo o7 to the more expensive mw07 or Sennheiser Momentum?

Mar 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #20,501 of 62,596
Hmm... Is there any proof they are really not master slave? I'm under the impression they just switch the master when you switch buds in a more seamless manner than QCC3020 (in the meantime, they might also do a mono downmix).

I couldn't find what chip Jabees uses but I suspect it to be Airoha. It doesn't suffer from the death grip on my phone as some Realtek devices have, and has one of the best connections I've experienced, but is downright sloppy with Windows 10's SBC (starts stuttering when multitasking among other things).

I'm basing it from product information on AE, that most newer TWS (not exclusive to qualcomm chip based ones) all have that picture that claim they have independent connection between each of the earpiece to the device.

if from experience, my XM3 and Dyplay (both use Airoha) and Galaxy buds (Broadcom chip) can all continuously play music without any stopping/skipping while putting one side in the case, taking it out again, and putting the other side in the case. my Airsun would have a slight skipping in that scenario.

my BT20S (qcc3020) would use master slave connection, but the master can be either the left or right, depending on which one's connected first to the device. if the slave turned off, the music still plays, but if the master side is turned off, the music would stop, and the slave would then connect as master to the device.

i haven't tested my son's QCY T5 which suppose to have Realtek chip.. maybe tomorrow.

I'm using Note 8 phone that doesn't support qualcomm TWS+ scenario to test them. also to my experience, the Airoha ones (XM3 and Dyplay) and the QCC3020 (BT20S) have the best stability in connection and range. i don't think i ever have experienced signal skip with them so far. i have several signal skip with Realtek ones, and the BES chip one (Airsun) has the worst range, but stable when close

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #20,502 of 62,596
Wow!!! the custom eq on the liberty air 2 has changed everything, if u find the right setting you can find your HearID x 5. Forget HearID, forget signature sound and their presets, find your sound via the eq. It's like steroids being pumped into the TWS, it's blown anything I have ever used prior, out of the water (ibasso it01 and shure 215s). Here are my settings, I've been able to dial into a setting which is like the piano preset but with more lows and bass and it's incredible. I'm still tinkering, I'm curious what others use for their LP2s.

I must say I'm pretty happy with the "HearID" profile although I'm not sure I'm doing the test right, hehe...Happier than with any of the presets in any case (except "Signature Soundcore" that sounds identical)

Anyway I've been experimenting with the custom EQ.
Is yours : +4 +2 0 -1 0 +1.5 (shows as +1) +2 ?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #20,503 of 62,596
with the absence of anything really 'new' (it's all relative) and me being greedy, I am contemplating the Sabbat X12 Ultra ... extra qi charging and aptx ... who here did this upgrade and lives to tell about it?

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #20,504 of 62,596
with the absence of anything really 'new' (it's all relative) and me being greedy, I am contemplating the Sabbat X12 Ultra ... extra qi charging and aptx ... who here did this upgrade and lives to tell about it?

off topic, but might interest your thirst for open air styled TWS. if you have soldering skill or have access to someone who does, you can try this Edifier H185 modded to MMCX to pair with the BT20S. because of the slight angle on the body, it makes great fit using it over ears. it needs to be swapped left to right though, but other than that, it fits and sound great

20200308_215525-01.jpeg

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #20,505 of 62,596
off topic, but might interest your thirst for open air styled TWS. if you have soldering skill or have access to someone who does, you can try this Edifier H185 modded to MMCX to pair with the BT20S. because of the slight angle on the body, it makes great fit using it over ears. it needs to be swapped left to right though, but other than that, it fits and sound great

20200308_215525-01.jpeg
This looks pretty cool! I actually have those Edifiers... I also have a soldering kit... but no talent with it at all.

oh, speak of new, seems Auglamour has a new TWS. But other than the gold speckled paint job, I don’t see much that interests me. GB lists them as having app x, which I am pretty certain is wrong (none of the 5+ AE listings mention that)

F2B98C06-3354-4D20-B091-54C01158257C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back