Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 8, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #10,353 of 62,307
Coming back to the pebble looking Whizzer T2, that @chinmie pointed out a while back ... back then I scoffed at the 57$ price tag ... but last night I came across one and then several other shops selling the same at less than half, while Whizzer official still sticks to 57$ (they are the only one with orders and 1 five-star review, the others have 0 orders) ... at 25$ those might be more interesting for some ... I like the look!

whizzt2.jpg

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #10,355 of 62,307
Good reviews. Are you in the US? I forget.
Canada!
no aptx hd there
If Lenovo's really behind it I'd take their word for it, but the noise reduction is implying these have ANC which seems rather dubious at this price point. A lot of ChiFi brands make that claim when they are referring to passive isolation and noise cancellation of microphones for calling!
What do you mean? States it pretty clearly in the store description and the Lenovo marketing layout.
The brochure looks like an Aliexpress listing... I would have expected they announce it more formally. Not that it might not be official though.

Nokia has one upcoming as well, https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-true-wireless-earbuds

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #10,356 of 62,307
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qcc3020
Qcc3020 does not support AptX HD, "only" AptX.

Ok, HD is a higher level of AptX and this Lenovo's Qualcomm chip is not compatible. Got ya. What a mess that is. TWS is such a mess. One of my least favourite things to do is to scan a TWS product's marketing page for it's specs . You need to be Sherlock (or Homelander) just to find single usage time, let alone all this codec business. I guess if you know the chip and what it supports, that is simple, but I'm not at that level yet.

EDIT: The Mpow T5 has the QC3020 and claims to have AptX HD support. Huh?
EDIT # 2: On Aliexpress, the Mpow T5 marketing material image says AptX HD, but below it, it just claims AptX in the spec chart. Hahaha. What a mess.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #10,357 of 62,307
Ok, HD is a higher level of AptX and this Lenovo's Qualcomm chip is not compatible. Got ya. What a mess that is. TWS is such a mess. One of my least favourite things to do is to scan a TWS product's marketing page for it's specs . You need to be Sherlock (or Homelander) just to find single usage time, let alone all this codec business. I guess if you know the chip and what it supports, that is simple, but I'm not at that level yet.

EDIT: The Mpow T5 has the QC3020 and claims to have AptX HD support. Huh?
EDIT # 2: On Aliexpress, the Mpow T5 marketing material image says AptX HD, but below it, it just claims AptX in the spec chart. Hahaha. What a mess.

They're saying it has the HD codec AptX, but stating it in a way that is wrong, but makes it sound better than it is. But it's not "technically wrong" because it does support the HD codec AptX. So they're not liable for the misunderstanding :wink:
When something actually has AptX HD, they'll almost always list AptX and AptX HD in the specs. Like this.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #10,358 of 62,307
Air UFO BE30 First Impressions

- Case has no branding. Slightly redder tint than Coolhere UFO. Lights are white but less yellow, instead with a subtle tint of red and blue.
- Has awful, excessive, voice messages compared to Coolhere. On initial pairing "Primary... Secondary... Your headset is connected", followed by a stretched "maximummm volumeee" which happens EVERY time you crank these up to max volume.
- Seems warmer-sounding than the Coolheres but considering those sounded like the EQ had gone wrong with bass and treble cranked up, take this comparison with a grain of salt. No more bass imbalance but MAYBE the left bud has more treble than the right. If that's really the case it's still better than bass as I think treble imbalances can be partly fixed by shoving foam or removing filters. Regardless, it has a relatively neutral sound with good bass impact, but it hasn't really "wowed" me as when I first heard the Coolhere UFO (bass imbalance aside).

Also, as other users have said here, the volume controls JUST DON'T WORK. It was hold 4s for the Coolhere UFO, but this new batch holding it too long powers off the buds, and too short goes to the next/previous track. double tap on either button goes to Google Assistant, while holding goes next/previous track with a creepy "forward" or "reverse" voice message.

I'll give the Air UFO some time, but at the moment I have the Firefly Pro glued to my ears...

Jabees Firefly Pro First impressions
- Case is large with a similar girth to the ill-fated Earfun Free, except dimensions are reversed (taller than it is fatter). Wireless charging works through my 10W power bank, but not my Samsung Fast Charging stand, which is diagonal. One odd quirk is that while the charging case lights up green with high battery, it turns turquoise when being charged, so I'm not not sure if will actually show charging progress. The other LED on the right just shows red to say you are charging the case.
- Case has Type C connector, but only supports Type C to A charging. Not a big deal for my ecosystem, but YMMV.
- Button controls feel rather finicky - small buttons that will moved your seal around when pushed. On the plus side, they don't driver-flex when I push the buttons like the UFOs or Earfun Free. What's more annoying is the high-pitched long beep when switching tracks.
- Fun V-shaped sound with bass emphasis and metallic treble. Sub-bass is deep, but the midbass does rumble a bit too much. Reminds me of my brief audition with the original Firefly, but MAYBE more refined (Jabees told me the SQ is not much different between the two). It amplifies some of the clicking piano artifacts found in Chillhop piano beats (eg. DJ Okawari and Kenichiro Nishihara). Soundstage is a tad small but has good separation and depth. SBC and AAC sound pretty similar but I will need to run more tests to be sure.
- Isolation is decent but a bit underwhelming even though the seal seems quite good (stock tips are wide-bore but there are some flat-fat tips similar to Jabra 65t included as well). Ambient sound works but has a VERY slight delay, and amplifier taps and fingersnaps which sound delayed ever so slightly. Also hisses a fair bit too. It's still very usable though.
- They connect/disconnect only if the lid is shut down with them in the case. This is not terrible but there is a time period between when the lid is shut and the buds actually shutting down. Also, what happens if your lid breaks?
- It's by no means perfect, but I think we got ourselves a Jabra 65t/Galaxy Buds killer.
Funny. Nothing in your description of the Jaybees says ’Jabra killer’ to me. :)

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #10,359 of 62,307
WAIT WHAT?
Sony was being painted here as the 8th wonder of modern times...

Am I a bad person for being happy with it as I cant afford it?

No love for the KZ T1?

GREAT SQ, Bad call quality, good portability, so-so battery life.

wait wait, are you saying the mpow t5 sound better than the new sony xm3?

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #10,360 of 62,307
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #10,362 of 62,307
Sooo, I received my Nillkin GO and first impressions are overall positive, but I have a few questions for other owners:
- so far I had to manually turn them on when taking out of the case and also manually turn off before putting back in (otherwise music would keep playing in closed case) ... this could be because the charging case was pretty low on battery? The buds seemed like 70% full according to iOS ...
(just found the hastily discarded manual and it seems to confirm this, no auto-turning on / off ... I can live with that)
- there is no indicator light on the buds themselves that indicate charging? According to manual the buds should glow red ... hmm .. maybe they were still 100% .. but i listened for like 20 minutes ... should recharge ... i do hope they recharge, otherwise I have a problem ...

I love how tiny the case is (see compared to KZ T1 case) .. and that strawberry / coral red is a nice change from all that black.

nillcase.jpg

Even the spare eartips match the color!

nilltips.jpg

The fit is great (with the largest tips) and I can nicely jam them up my earhole :wink: The SQ overall would put them in my above average pile, possibly Tier 2 or even tier 1 (let me double check, did I count them up or down?) .. but that needs further testing ... they are NOT as detailed sparkly as the KZ, but they do have nice bass. With IPX5 they should make for some nice running buds.

Last bit: refreshing to hear a different female voice doing all the alert messages

Edit: me silly goose! Found the problem with the 'non'-charging: A tiny piece of tape/film over the contacts for protection .. which I had seen on many other buds before, but here, because of the color and my failing eyesight I did not see them. Now i get to witness something new as well: There are not only LEDs on the buds to indicate charging in process, but also at the rear of the case. Nice!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #10,363 of 62,307
Anyone in the us looking for basically brand new Sony’s, I’ll do 210 shipped for mine to avoid the hassle of a Best Buy return.

How is a BB return a hassle? Isn't it more of a hassle to pack them up and ship them?

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #10,364 of 62,307
How is a BB return a hassle? Isn't it more of a hassle to pack them up and ship them?

I can pack and ship from my office in 10 minutes versus driving to best buy for a return. And while best buy doesn't really hassle over returns they do ask if anything was wrong and then they ask if you want to shop and then there is the whole too many returns thing. So basically, for me, losing $40 is simpler than the return. But, it's not really that big of a deal to return them no.

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #10,365 of 62,307
Sooo, I received my Nillkin GO and first impressions are overall positive, but I have a few questions for other owners:
- so far I had to manually turn them on when taking out of the case and also manually turn off before putting back in (otherwise music would keep playing in closed case) ... this could be because the charging case was pretty low on battery? The buds seemed like 70% full according to iOS ...
(just found the hastily discarded manual and it seems to confirm this, no auto-turning on / off ... I can live with that)
- there is no indicator light on the buds themselves that indicate charging? According to manual the buds should glow red ... hmm .. maybe they were still 100% .. but i listened for like 20 minutes ... should recharge ... i do hope they recharge, otherwise I have a problem ...

I love how tiny the case is (see compared to KZ T1 case) .. and that strawberry / coral red is a nice change from all that black.

Even the spare eartips match the color!

The fit is great (with the largest tips) and I can nicely jam them up my earhole :wink: The SQ overall would put them in my above average pile, possibly Tier 2 or even tier 1 (let me double check, did I count them up or down?) .. but that needs further testing ... they are NOT as detailed sparkly as the KZ, but they do have nice bass. With IPX5 they should make for some nice running buds.

Last bit: refreshing to hear a different female voice doing all the alert messages

First things first: did you remove the plastic covering the charger input on each earbud? If that's still in place, it would explain why they don't charge. The red charging indicators on the case definitely work on mine.

As far as I can tell, they turn off automatically when you put the lid on. It also turns on when you remove the lid, but I've noticed that I have to turn them on manually occasionally, probably depends on how deftly you remove the lid, due to the case mechanism.

I did just test, and the buds stayed connected and kept playing in the case. However, turns out my case was out of battery. When I connected it to the charger and tried again, they turned automatically when put in the case.

And yes, I'm really enjoying these for running :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back