Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 31, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #9,946 of 62,308
All right, have spent some additional time with Sony. I may have been a little harsh on them in my first impressions. The sq is very very solid on these. You have to make sure you have enabled AAC and the high res switch in the app for starters. The hi res thing claims it upscales sources. No idea whether it works. I also switched to tidal v apple music. These combined changes have improved things quite a bit along with adjustment to the Sony sound signature. These are pretty impressive. Very detailed, spacious with some genuine feeling of soundstage which I don't typically hear in tw. Not sure it's overall tone beats the mw07 but that maybe subjective. Clarity and detail are superior however. I am using the flat EQ. The EQ works great but flat seems the best to me. The included hybrid tips are also quite nice.

A few other comments. ANC is as advertised. It is ligjt years ahead of sp700. I even get that ANC "feeling" which I actually don't like. Also the tech and app are quite impressive.

I still am not convinced in the use case for these without any ip rating but I may give them a run in the gym a few times and see how they hold up. I actually hate the piped in gym music and am hoping the ANC solves that for me.

About Apple Music vs. Tidal i assume could have something to do with re-encoding. Apple music is aac so lossy which then is decoded before being mixed and then encoded again so double lossy before being send to the phones whereas Tidal (presumably) is lossless from start before being encoded and send to the phones

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #9,947 of 62,308
About Apple Music vs. Tidal i assume could have something to do with re-encoding. Apple music is aac so lossy which then is decoded before being mixed and then encoded again so double lossy before being send to the phones whereas Tidal (presumably) is lossless from start before being encoded and send to the phones
I am not an expert on AAC encoding over iOS but for some reason i thought using ios meant only one set of encoding rather than 2. Could be wrong. I've never been able to determine whether tidal HiFi offers a meaningful improvement over Apple music over Bluetooth but these combined changes have improved things.

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #9,949 of 62,308
I am not an expert on AAC encoding over iOS but for some reason i thought using ios meant only one set of encoding rather than 2. Could be wrong. I've never been able to determine whether tidal HiFi offers a meaningful improvement over Apple music over Bluetooth but these combined changes have improved things.

The phone has to decode the music in order to mix all different sounds from alerts, games and whatever else goes on and then encode the resulting mixed signal to send to the phones

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #9,950 of 62,308
As an aside, kudos to Sony for developing a charging case that doesn't feel like a piece of crap (Sennheiser) or is ridiculously bulky (Apple). It's a little large but it feels solid as a rock and the fit and magnets are superb and strong.

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #9,951 of 62,308
So there is a benefit to using TIDAL despite not having a higher bandwidth codec?

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #9,953 of 62,308
So there is a benefit to using TIDAL despite not having a higher bandwidth codec?

Theoretically there should be as the lossless signal from Tidal means you only encode lossy once whereas the Apple Music aac files are already encoded lossy and are then decoded and mixed with other phone sounds before being encoded lossy again so double lossy encoding. Whether it is audible is a different matter and probably depends on listening environment and ears

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #9,954 of 62,308
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #9,955 of 62,308
A2DBCA97-FC48-4744-A811-663A7EA61CD8.jpeg

Two newcomers. Let's see about these.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9,956 of 62,308
Theoretically there should be as the lossless signal from Tidal means you only encode lossy once whereas the Apple Music aac files are already encoded lossy and are then decoded and mixed with other phone sounds before being encoded lossy again so double lossy encoding. Whether it is audible is a different matter and probably depends on listening environment and ears

Totally makes sense when you think about it; never did. Just thought about the high-res track getting squashed upon getting sent to the headset, so didn't think there was a point to streaming from TIDAL. But you're right, with a lossy track, you're looking at a compressed file that gets re-coded once again. Interesting.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #9,957 of 62,308

Two newcomers. Let's see about these.
Cool curious about the Tiso i5. Seems like a great size for my ears. I hope the SQ is good with volume control and good battery. Bartig is on a roll. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #9,959 of 62,308
Looks promising! Though, and maybe it's just me, but I can't buy any product named Vista ever since the horrible flop by Microsoft.... Lol
lol omigosh indeed! :beyersmile: It does look to be an interesting product and their JBS1 chip seems to have the equivalent of QC's TWS+ where each earbud connects individually but I'm curious what on the source device would know to keep them in sync? With TWS+ we know it's managed by their 845 chips onwards so it'll be interesting to get this detail. For instance how would they work connected to iPhone? Perhaps there's something between the earbuds that does the syncing despite each receiving their own stream.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #9,960 of 62,308
Dang, I should've pre-ordered with BB. Oh wells. Look forward to your impressions.

Yeah I had been eyeballing them for the past couple weeks and finally pulled the trigger from BB's online store since they were the only one with a stock date before I have a cross-country flight coming up in a couple weeks. I happened to check stock again today, and lo and behold they're available in several nearby BB stores. I really should have just waited to avoid the hassle of dealing with UPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back